An iBook G4 at MacWorld SanFran?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know, I know...we've discussed the possibility of an iBook G4 for quite some time. Now seems like a good time for such a venture, and given that Apple surprised us with a 14-inch screen last year, could it be we'll get a G4 iBook?

If such an iBook G4 were to surface, what do you suppose would be the feature set?

I think it will be in a 14-inch model, with an overall similar set of features, except a 133 MHz bus and a 733 MHz G4 processor.

Now, your thoughts......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Nope. iBook's just been updated. 5-7 months until the next update for iBook & TiBook. Let's talk again before MWNY.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    No.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    not gonna happen anytime soon.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Better not!! Just spent 1700 on an iBook!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Not a chance.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'd laugh my butt off if Jobs' "oh yeah...one more thing..." in SF was indeed a G4 iBook.

"Not gonna happen...", "no way...", "not a chance...".

KA-POW!

Actually, could there be a slim possibility of some sort of a "special edition" (read: extra expensive and priced out of the range of the very people who would dig it the most) G4 iBook? Just to tide everyone over and Apple at least state that "we ship OS X-friendly G4 processors in all our models now"?

Don't know...just asking.

Still keep the $999-$1599 G3-based iBooks, of course.

But in the way that the G4 LCD iMac co-exists with the $799 snow G3 iMac, could the same happen with the iBook line?

Would be cool, because I've said it before 25 times: the minute Apple comes out with a G4-based iBook, this flat screen iMac in front of me is history!

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 48
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    If Apple ever produces a G4 iBook for under $1100 I know a number of people who'll be in line to buy it. I'm one of them.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Me too, but not if they produce it 18+ months from now. Apple has to get in the habit of doing things before the computing world moves on a generation or three.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    I'm having chest-pains!

I just ordered my iBook 800.

They sure as hell better not release one in January or cut off Steve's hairy gumdrops myself.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It happened last year. 600MHz iBook in October, 14" iBook introduced at MWSF.

But I agree that such a major update would not be probable. Some time in the middle of next year, sure!

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 48
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    What about a dual 1.2ghz PB at MWSF?

• Reply 12 of 48
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Highly impossible. Apple is probably focusing its effort on improving its desktop lineup now. I am actually more eager for an iMac update and price drop
  • Reply 13 of 48
    2003. No more waiting for Mac Worlds anymore. When it's ready it will be announced.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I'd rather have a faster G3 than AltiVec! What would an iBook user need faster Gaussian blur for?

I'd rather have a faster G3 (Sahara can have 200mhz bus if Apple would stop stupidly crippling the iBook.)
  • Reply 15 of 48
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    But doesn't OS X itself scoot along a little better on a G4? That's what I've always heard, anyway. I'm not thinking "G4 iBook" for the Photoshop/graphics crowd...I'm thinking simply for OS X, iTunes encoding and (I'm sure) better iMovie/iDVD performance, etc.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by pscates:

<strong>But doesn't OS X itself scoot along a little better on a G4? That's what I've always heard, anyway. I'm not thinking "G4 iBook" for the Photoshop/graphics crowd...I'm thinking simply for OS X, iTunes encoding and (I'm sure) better iMovie/iDVD performance, etc.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah but a faster G3 would be better than a slower G4 for the most part.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>I'd rather have a faster G3 than AltiVec! What would an iBook user need faster Gaussian blur for?

I'd rather have a faster G3 (Sahara can have 200mhz bus if Apple would stop stupidly crippling the iBook.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

A good example off the top of my head is ripping mp3's. Encoding at 160, I'll get 6 - 6.5x on my 700 ibook with 512 L2 and 384 of ram. My mothers imac 700 with 256 L2 and 256 of ram gets 10-11x.

At any rate, the trend seems to be updating portables in the spring and fall, and I would guess the next ibook revision in april or may will have a G4.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The main reason why you will not see at MWSF a G4 ibook is the watt consumption.

The 750 fx which is made upon a SOI 0,13 Micron process, and which count less transistors, have a much smaller consumption than a 7544 based upon SOI 0,18. And i can bet also that the 750 fx will have a less watt consumption than the 7457.

Expect only nothing more than an another speed bump (the 750 fx is supposed to top a 1 ghz).

The altivec will be incorporated in the i book, when IBM will release the Sahara 2. And i don't think that it will release such a chip before end 2003 or early 2004.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Yeah but a faster G3 would be better than a slower G4 for the most part.</strong><hr></blockquote>

are you saying a faster processor would be better than a slower processor (duh).

Or are you saying a higher mhz G3 would be better than a lower Mhz G4?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eupfhoria:

<strong>

are you saying a faster processor would be better than a slower processor (duh).

Or are you saying a higher mhz G3 would be better than a lower Mhz G4?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A higher MHz G3 would be faster than a lower MHz G4.