Apple unveils faster iBook with built-in wireless networking

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

It's not the point.

The point is Apple does release hardware products that do not comply with the suggested minimum requirements of all it's available software.

It is good that Apple has some slow/cheap models.

It is good that Apple has some fast/expensive models.

It is good that Apple's OS takes advantage of whatever hardware you have chosen to purchase.

Feel free to feel victimized though... simply because Apple doesn't put the exact same GPU in every single machine they sell.

• Reply 22 of 68
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Mac users can now own a shinny new iBook G4 with built-in wireless...

According to Sherlock;

-shinny

v : climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling [syn: clamber, scramble, shin, skin, struggle, sputter]

-shiny

\\Shin"y\\, a. [Compar. Shinier; superl. Shiniest.] Bright; luminous; clear; unclouded.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    FreeScale needs to build AirPort Extreme in to the G4, similar to the Intel's Centrino.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

FreeScale needs to build AirPort Extreme in to the G4, similar to the Intel's Centrino.

um...no.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

According to Sherlock;

-shinny

v : climb awkwardly, as if by scrambling [syn: clamber, scramble, shin, skin, struggle, sputter]

Only a looser would point out typos. I should know, I was born too loose.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    This is insanely great.

-Speed hike

-free wifi

-lower price PLUS reducing it more to reflect the weak dollar PLUS new danish applestore education rebate PLUS Cram and Jam iBook/iPod rebate.

For what I paid for my 800 MhZ iBook one year ago i now get

-An 1.2 Ghz iBook

-an iPod Mini

-an Extreme card

-An airport express base station

-a plane ticket to Berlin and back

-a bottle of Sapphire Gin,

-a bottle of Stolichinaya Gold

-a bottle of Havana Club 7 years

-a bottle of Cointreau

and these seven guys:

• Reply 27 of 68
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Only a looser would point out typos. I should know, I was born too loose.

lol.. normally I'm not such a spelling dick, but since this particular one is in the bolded line directly below the head-line of the article I couldn't resist. Actually, I looked it up in the first place because I thought I'd been spelling it wrong all this time.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Centrino doesn't have Wifi built into the chip. Centrino is a chipset, not a chip. Its built into the motherboard, but not the chip.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Centrino doesn't have Wifi built into the chip. Centrino is a chipset, not a chip. Its built into the motherboard, but not the chip.

It's a name for a collection of components. To call your computer a Centrino without pissing off Intel legal dept., you have to use an Intel Pentium M, Intel's chipset and Intel's WLAN. There are plenty laptops out there, for instance, that have a WLAN from another manufacturer and therefore are not Centrinos.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

These are the exact same ibooks that are out now the ONLY difference is that they give you the airport card for free ($79) value and clocked up the process 200mhz on the ibook 12'.

you can also boost the hdd up to 80 gb in the 12" - i dont recall being able to do this before?? even if you could... the price reduction is awesome considering how much you are getting (like a poster below i paid twice the price for a 800mhz g3 with airport)
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

They could quit crippling the video spanning feature though. Every other laptop has it, even the cheapest ones. This is especially annoying as iBook's screen size and quality are not exactly stunning. If I bought one I'd want to attach it to an external monitor for sure.

I'd be great if the ibooks could run two displays instead of just mirroring - it would make giving presentations a lot less painful if i had notes on my screen! even scretching the screen hacks wont help full screen presentations :/

this is the only feature that lures me to the powerbooks for my next upgrade... but its probably one of the features theyll keep pb-only to distinguish the two models
  • Reply 32 of 68
    Quote:

According to Sherlock;

-shinny

-shiny

\\Shin"y\\, a. [Compar. Shinier; superl. Shiniest.] Bright; luminous; clear; unclouded.

Shinny is pick-up or pond hockey.

Damn non-Canadians. *ducks*

For the poster who suggested the 1GHz and 1.2GHz version are the same chip in underclocked version and just uncrippled now... I'd wait and see. A little bird tells me these are actually faster 7447A chips than the last rev. (yields are better 6 months later).

Overclocking a laptop is idiotic in the first place, due to thermal constraints and battery suckage.

Since the GPU is still last rev's ATI 9200, Screen Spanning Doctor will still hack dual display support.

PBs don't require a hack, but more importantly, have far more VRAM to throw at the 2nd display.

Makes me eye the AluBooks a bit more seriously.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    You can run dual displays just fine with the ibook. Apple ships the "consumer" models with display mirroring only. However the ones they give out on their own have full dual display capability. You can download "Screen Spanning Doctor" (search) google to enable this functionality on your own iBook.

Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

I'd be great if the ibooks could run two displays instead of just mirroring - it would make giving presentations a lot less painful if i had notes on my screen! even scretching the screen hacks wont help full screen presentations :/

this is the only feature that lures me to the powerbooks for my next upgrade... but its probably one of the features theyll keep pb-only to distinguish the two models

• Reply 34 of 68
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    For those expecting a PowerBook update soon:

Quote:

"This new line-up of iBooks, along with the current PowerBooks we have will make-up the complete portable line-up we will be offering for the holidays," said Moody.

A quote from David Moody vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing in an article at MacCentral.

So this is going to be "the" lineup till the next major Apple event in January.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Why do people use a 12 inch display? Doesn't it strain your eyes? The 14-inch seems ok. I haven't used a 12-inch laptop but I am not going to use a resolution less than 1024x768.
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Why do people use a 12 inch display? Doesn't it strain your eyes? The 14-inch seems ok. I haven't used a 12-inch laptop but I am not going to use a resolution less than 1024x768.

the 12" display is about portability - btw, the resolution of the 14" and 12" is the same...
  • Reply 37 of 68
    Quote:

According to Sherlock;

-shinny

-shiny

well, the struggle with the shiny "n"...
  • Reply 38 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Go to your local applestore and look for yourself. The 12 incher is a perfect choice when it comes to portability. This has been pointed out by so many other 12ers, just go and look, you will understand.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamrao

The Radeon 9200 in the iBook makes me think we might not see a Powerbook update before the end of the year. The GeForce 5200 in the 12" Powerbook may be there to be more appealing the the "pro" who needs 64 MB instead of 32 MB.

I would agree that without a CoreImage compliant video card that the iBooks will be updated again before we see Tiger. Probably a GeForce 5200 after the Powerbooks move to something higher. I don't think it would necessarily have to be as late as May/June, though. It could be as early as late March. The iBook was updated exactly 6 months from its last update, so April is a real possibility for another iBook update and it would be preloaded with Tiger then.

I think that the specs on the iBook lead me to (unfortunately) believe that we won't see another Powerbook update for some time. That's too bad, because I really need a PB by the start of next year. I'm still hoping, like a Red Sox fan, that the impossible or the unlikely will become reality. We'll see...

Can anyone help me understand why these iBooks would not be good for Tiger? What would the current graphics card not be able to do?

Cheers
  • Reply 40 of 68
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The 9200 doesn't have as large a set of programmable pixel operations (aka pixel shaders) as the GeForce 5200/Radeon 9500 and up. Pixel shaders are what are used by CoreImage/CoreVideo when it's running on the GPU. The GPU hardware requirements for full CoreImage/CoreVideo compatibility corresponds to what Micorsoft's DirectX 9 calls Pixel Shader 2.0.

Tiger will run on a 9200, but CoreImage/CoreVideo may have to place more emphasis on the CPU.