Whois gonna let Mac OSX 10.4 "tiger" pass?

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by rok

    if someone posts instructions on how to create a bulletproof dual-boot setup for 10.3 and 10.4 on the same machine, i'll get it. but the last time i tried to set up multiple partitions for a new operating system, a lot of third party apps would place their prefs, files, etc in the wrong place(s), and it would cause all sorts of headaches for me. i don't know if that was everyone's somewhat unfamiliarity with os x at that point or what. maybe it would be better this time around. but i can't afford some of my third party apps to go kablooie unexpectedly.



    You could try an external hard drive and plug it in only when you want to use that operating system?
  • Reply 22 of 73
    I've had multiple installations of X on different partitions for the last few years and I haven't had any problems like that. Maybe it's the apps I use, but my backup system has never interfered with my main installation.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Code Master

    I've had multiple installations of X on different partitions for the last few years and I haven't had any problems like that. Maybe it's the apps I use, but my backup system has never interfered with my main installation.



    well, in all fairness to apple, i think it had to do with adobe's wonky support of the classic environment with multiple partitions under photoshop 7 and illustrator 10. the apps just got befuddled as to what to store where, so they just stored little pref files EVERYwhere. then one gets corrupted, and have fun finding it...



    but still, if there are major developers out there like adobe that don't support tiger well out of the gate, i have to hold off for a bit just to get things done.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    When the GM Is released I for sure am buying. The Developer copy I have it much faster than Panther. I assume that it will only get faster as later revisions arrive. Application speed, UI speed, Web Surfing rendering, file transfer, are all noticabily faster. Now whether this is noticable on a Dual G5 i don't know. I'm running a G3 600Mhz, but I sure could notice a difference. I think Tiger will be great for machines 1Ghz and below.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Tiger should be the last gotta-have-it-or-things-break release of OS X. I have no intention of skipping it at all. 10.5, maybe. We'll see. But even if you can't think of any other reason to update, consider this: As of Tiger, they're not going to be mucking around in the internals and breaking (frequently unpublished) APIs anymore. So, once an app is updated for Tiger, it should be compatible with many more releases of OS X.

  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Amorph

    Tiger should be the last gotta-have-it-or-things-break release of OS X. I have no intention of skipping it at all. 10.5, maybe. We'll see. But even if you can't think of any other reason to update, consider this: As of Tiger, they're not going to be mucking around in the internals and breaking (frequently unpublished) APIs anymore. So, once an app is updated for Tiger, it should be compatible with many more releases of OS X.



    hey COOL links to iTM, how did you create those links???????
  • Reply 27 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Zab The Fab

    hey COOL links to iTM, how did you create those links???????



    Control-click the song and copy link the keyboard.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    Can anyone confirm this?





    Similar but not the same. It's done per user, and requires apps to take advantage of it. Once they do, it lets the user log out or shut down and everything is auto-saved in a temporary place. When they log back in, the docs are reloaded automagically.



    Amorya
  • Reply 29 of 73
    I wasn't too fussed for 10.4 until I watched the keynote, but the widgets look genuinely useful and very well executed. I still hate the idea of spending so much money on software, but this and iLife 05 together might convince me to upgrade to a newer mac which includes both.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by G_Warren

    I wasn't too fussed for 10.4 until I watched the keynote, but the widgets look genuinely useful and very well executed. I still hate the idea of spending so much money on software, but this and iLife 05 together might convince me to upgrade to a newer mac which includes both.



    Yeah I know the feeling, I think Tiger looks amazing, especially mail and spotlight. I can't wait, definitely worth £100
  • Reply 31 of 73
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    I just wish that Apple would let the user replace the stupid startup 'dong' with anything they wished subject to whatever size limitation. At least there is the startup sound eliminator for now.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 565member
    From seeing screenshots of System Preferences, it appears that the row of favorite icons along the top has been removed. Is this permanent, or can they be shown again?



    If this isn't an option anymore, I can't figure out why. It seems dumb to me; it'll take longer to get back and forth between PrefPane's unless there's a new way of doing this that isn't evident in a screenshot.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by RBR

    I just wish that Apple would let the user replace the stupid startup 'dong' with anything they wished subject to whatever size limitation. At least there is the startup sound eliminator for now.



    The startup sound is there to tell the user the computer is working. If you don't want to hear it you can mute the computer or press the mute button while starting up (on certain macs). It has a purpose, changing it would make it difficult to know if something was wrong because there are a set number of notes, etc!



    Quote:

    Originally posted by jabohn

    From seeing screenshots of System Preferences, it appears that the row of favorite icons along the top has been removed. Is this permanent, or can they be shown again?



    If this isn't an option anymore, I can't figure out why. It seems dumb to me; it'll take longer to get back and forth between PrefPane's unless there's a new way of doing this that isn't evident in a screenshot.




    The spotlight would allow you to go straight to a system preference, or right clicking on the dock or going through the menu bar.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    Not me! Automator is the app I have been waiting for ever since I learned about AppleScript but never took the time to learn enough to utilize its powers.



    I am in love with Automator. The interface has come so far since WWDC. I am going to go look at it now and be happy.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    All the new features? Feh.



    When are we going to get a Finder that's even close to being as fast as Windows Explorer? I'd pay $129 for that, easily.



    The other stuff is just icing. Apple, it's been almost 4 years, when are you going to give us a decent Finder? How about a decent UI for browsing network volumes? Let's get the fundamentals right, before we go setting up any whizbang stuff...
  • Reply 36 of 73
    chikarachikara Posts: 116member
    I must get Tiger...after watching the keynote, I am in love with Dashboard.



    Since I am a college student my friends are all over the country, to see the weather where they are in an instant along with finding out exchange rates for the friends that are out of country.



    I know this is all available right now online or something, but the idea of it being a first party app and me not having to go online makes me happier :-D. Not to mention it will help me eliminate some third party apps I have right now that keep freezing on me when I have them all open.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    I personally think that $129 every 18 months is not a bad investment, like an oil change, the performance always gets better. My 867mhz pb12 will appreciate it.



    Tiger is definately a go for me. iLife '05 I can pass on.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chikara

    I must get Tiger...after watching the keynote, I am in love with Dashboard.



    Since I am a college student my friends are all over the country, to see the weather where they are in an instant along with finding out exchange rates for the friends that are out of country.



    I know this is all available right now online or something, but the idea of it being a first party app and me not having to go online makes me happier :-D. Not to mention it will help me eliminate some third party apps I have right now that keep freezing on me when I have them all open.




    Try Meteorologist 1.4.1. It's great and it's free!



    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16142
  • Reply 39 of 73
    I'm still running OSX.2 with 256mb on a G4 iMac.



    2005 will see me get a RAM upgrade, external hard drive and Tiger all fitted.



    Should last until the next iMac design at least
  • Reply 40 of 73
    I am curious how long it will take some of the vendors to come up with Tiger solutions? Honestly if I had a Cisco VPN that worked with Tiger I would use it more.
Sign In or Register to comment.