Apple releases Mac OS X 10.3.9

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Sissy, you're confusing the speed of initial layout with the speed of the entire page load.

SafariSpeed changes one of the defaults that affects the initial layout speed at the expense of making a page load slower overall, and possibly even layout badly as some elements won't be available until the page loads completely.

Read http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt...05.html#005496 for an explanation.

IME, with the default settings, Safari is now toasting Firefox for page loads, both initial and cached, unless you've also hacked Firefox to use persistent connections and more than the usual 4 requests at once to the server.

I've read Hyatts blog. Safaris performance increase according to his writing is due to a lot of technical improvement. I think I'm not confused.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by atomicham

That was my problem. Thanks for the tip.

mine too, thanks for the help !
  • Reply 63 of 65
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

mine too, thanks for the help !

Yep, this was the problem. Makes sense because after the update a Java program I was using no longer worked and another one I downloaded refused to run as well, so it seems to be an issue with 10.3.9. I'll run the Security Update tonight. Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 64 of 65
    osxuserosxuser Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Open Terminal and type java -version

If you get something about "segmentation fault" you should reinstall Security Update 2005-002:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...34orlater.html

It seems that there is a problem with Java, if you upgraded to 10.3.9 without having Java 3D and JAI installed.

Security Update 2005-002 fixes the problem.

That was precisely my problem too. You'd think the 10.3.9 updater would be smart enough to handle this issue by testing the java installation and updating if necessary. \