iTunes 4.8 adds video support, Yorkdale store photos, more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Why is this video support necessary when spotlight will find it and when it plays better in QuickTime? Also only mov and mp4 files will play.

Well it will play full screen, which is good. Unfortunately you can't pause while full screen, but you can put it back as a window, pause/rewind etc, then play and click full screen.

Pity about only mov and mp4. In fact, mine doesn't play mp4.
  • Reply 62 of 124
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I have not figured out how to get Quicktime into iTunes either. Its supposed to run in Panther but it seems people with Tiger are only able to do it.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Does anyone understand this whole full-screen dilemma - they should just make QT7 support full-screen and full integrate it into itunes - which will play and organise both music and films fully. Then you can use QT7 as a player without the organising. SIMPLE

Edit: Has anyone got QT Pro - does the iTunes give you full-screen controls?
  • Reply 64 of 124
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    QuickTime isn't a Player.

It's a set of Multimedia Frameworks that provide interfaces to various codecs for one to develop a complete audio/video solution if one so chooses.

The Player has never meant to be some the swiss army knife of all multimedia needs.

Since we have various target markets to address it is only intelligent to provide applications like iTunes with certain QuickTime capabilities and then other applications like Motion and Final Cut Pro with other QuickTime capabilities.

It's called code-reuse and leveraging your Frameworks. Get used to it.

It's also satisfying your markets.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

QuickTime isn't a Player.

It's a set of Multimedia Frameworks that provide interfaces to various codecs for one to develop a complete audio/video solution if one so chooses.

The Player has never meant to be some the swiss army knife of all multimedia needs.

Since we have various target markets to address it is only intelligent to provide applications like iTunes with certain QuickTime capabilities and then other applications like Motion and Final Cut Pro with other QuickTime capabilities.

It's called code-reuse and leveraging your Frameworks. Get used to it.

It's also satisfying your markets.

I think it's both - like WMP on a PC is both. QT is built into the core of ther Mac but is also a stand alone media player. iTunes is becoming a media organiser - I just wish it would play the movies in QT.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Ok, I'll try tomorrow - it doesn't work on a mac - if the file is imported just for the record!

Actually, you know what, it is The PRO version. I forgot that this is a PC that my work gave me, and they must have licenced the Pro version.

So sorry.
  • Reply 67 of 124
    While the support of Video in iTunes is crtainly something to speculate over, I really do not foresee this feature as a replacement towards QuickTime as some have suggested. I could realisticly see this more a move for a video capable iPod or even more likely video music relate content within the iTunes Music Store. Why? Well I thnik the fact that all references to "song" within iTunes are still the same and nothing is contextual (that I have found, anyways) in referance to video files once inserted into the iTunes playlist. This just doesn't seem like something Apple would overlook. However, I could see why "song" would remain (by the way, I'm speaking of things like the count at the bottom, and "Show Song File") if the purpose of video support was supposed to be for iTMS/music related video content. Something more akin to a video/movie store? Maybe, but I doubt that assessment, for some reason. Also, a video iPod is possible but I just can't warm up to that idea either. Not until iTunes is better at organizing and using video properly.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    i-am-an-elfi-am-an-elf Posts: 107member
    omg. How on earth did i not know about this. I have 4.7, I am about to uprage it now. But, I just read that 4.7 supported videos. I just drapped iPhoto pics, jpegs, quicktime videos onto the intunes icon in the dock and they all worked perfectly in iTunes. THey have small icones next to them. I had always complained why iTunes con't do this and WMP could. Why isn't it even mentioned on apple.com Apple did better then I expected and I didn't know it
  • Reply 69 of 124
    deepkiddeepkid Posts: 97member
    I don't have QT PRO and I am able to play videos imported to iTunes 4.8 full screen just fine.

Someone also mentioned earlier that they weren't able to get certain mpg video files to play in iTunes.

Here's a little trick I did that allowed me to play an otherwise unusable mpg file that I downloaded using Firefox.

I ftp'd the video it up to my site using Fetch, then downloaded it back to my mac using Fetch again. I'm not sure if the file was in a weird format that tiger didn't like initially, but ftp-ing it up and downloading it again made it usable in iTunes.

This would be a pain in the neck for large files, but at least it works.

BTW, I am playing both mpg and mp4 files in iTunes using tiger on my 12" albook. (mp4 videos from martatopferova.com and pron mpgs
  • Reply 70 of 124
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

I think it's both - like WMP on a PC is both. QT is built into the core of ther Mac but is also a stand alone media player.

No. This might be nitpicking, but all four are totally separate.

Quicktime - framework

Quicktime Player - player app

Windows Media / Windows Media Technologies - framework

Windows Media Player - player program
  • Reply 71 of 124
    kwsanderskwsanders Posts: 327member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

No, I don't. I would have known if I did. If you have a Windows PC, try it. But the video must be imported to iTunes first.

You just don't have QuickTime 7 for the PC. It is not available yet.
  • Reply 72 of 124
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Hopefully Apple have a clear vision of where they heading?

The smoking gun.

Quote:

Posted by esd at the Mac Ach:

I just looked through the strings in the iTunes executable file.

?The second is a bit more interesting. After "Purchased Music": "Purchased Videos"!

• Reply 73 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The smoking gun.

Bingo.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Since this video information is includded in iTunes 4.8, it is highly likely that video content will be available before 4.8.1 or 4.9, whichever comes first. Second, the new iTMS for the other countries have not been released. If I had to guess, the downloading movies option plus the new stores will debut holding hands. A video iPod may accompany. Also, if we see no action in the near future, we have a big @$$ target for WWDC.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    What if WWDC brings us an iPod SDK to go along with some other new iTunes/iPod kit.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kwsanders

You just don't have QuickTime 7 for the PC. It is not available yet.

I never said I did. I said I have QT Pro, which is not the same as QT Pro 7.

Anyway, now that I have QT Pro, let's get the goodies...
  • Reply 77 of 124
    joekjoek Posts: 93member
  • Reply 78 of 124
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
  • Reply 79 of 124
    aussie johnaussie john Posts: 173member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

I have not figured out how to get Quicktime into iTunes either. Its supposed to run in Panther but it seems people with Tiger are only able to do it.

10.3.9 works, just drag it into the library

This is obviously all about song videos not Movies. (maybe in the future)
  • Reply 80 of 124
    aussie johnaussie john Posts: 173member
    Quote:

Edit: Has anyone got QT Pro - does the iTunes give you full-screen controls? [/B]

sorry no