PlayStation 3 megathread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 117
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    This spanks the Xbox 360 specs wise. 256MB of the RAM is at 3.2Ghz, not just 700Mhz DDR3. Also, the nVidia graphics chipset is said to be more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultras.

This console war is gonna be hot.

Both consoles look nice as well, but the PS3 more so.

I hate to think if the Nintendo Revolution is going to be more powerful than these two...
  • Reply 22 of 117
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I really dig the design. Xbox looks a little Dell-ish to me. And RAM at 3.2 Ghz? Holy shit.
  • Reply 23 of 117
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Hey cool, thanks. Does Playstation have a service which is comparable to Xbox live?
  • Reply 24 of 117
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

New controller!

I dunno I think I preferred the old one, at least it was easy to hold
  • Reply 25 of 117
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Although that Playstation pic looks like a rendering, it still looks so much better than the XBOX 360. Or as Paris Hilton would say,"it's hot".

I found it amusing when MS' PR guy said their XBOX was sexy and iPod-like. It's nothing like that.

MS may still have a winner on their hands, but they have no clue in making their products look sexy and droolworthy.
  • Reply 26 of 117
    Quote:

I hate to think if the Nintendo Revolution is going to be more powerful than these two...

I think Revolution will be the least powerful on paper. It may also be the most interesting. Sony and Microsoft are increasing the usual variables and letting new ideas and improvements precipitate from that. We can already see where that model will be taking us.

Nintendo has the potential to improve games in a more fundamental way. Maybe they'll just roll out something unexpectedly stupid and everyone will be disappointed, but even that would be more interesting in the long run.
  • Reply 27 of 117
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    In the future, please remember that Future Hardware is for Apple products. Upcoming product news from other manufacturers needs to go in the Insider Lounge.
  • Reply 28 of 117
    touristtourist Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Although that Playstation pic looks like a rendering,

Ken with his new toy in the flesh...

• Reply 29 of 117
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

I think Revolution will be the least powerful on paper. It may also be the most interesting. Sony and Microsoft are increasing the usual variables and letting new ideas and improvements precipitate from that. We can already see where that model will be taking us.

Nintendo has the potential to improve games in a more fundamental way. Maybe they'll just roll out something unexpectedly stupid and everyone will be disappointed, but even that would be more interesting in the long run.

Plus it'll probably play the next Zelda game better than the Game Cube. That alone will make me upgrade.
  • Reply 30 of 117
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I hope recent Sony-Apple stirrings would indicate something brewing. MS has its media edition stuff, what does PS 3 have? iTunes?
  • Reply 31 of 117
    benjamin_rbenjamin_r Posts: 265member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

In the future, please remember that Future Hardware is for Apple products. Upcoming product news from other manufacturers needs to go in the Insider Lounge.

Thanks Rageous, got back from being away and was about to say the same thing...

Moving to Insider Lounge now
  • Reply 32 of 117
    Ok who has seen the PS3 footage from gamertrailers.com?

Is this stuff in game??
  • Reply 33 of 117
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    glad i'm not the only one with regards to Spidey-Station..!!

(grove, i think this is the first time you and i have agreed on anything)

OMG we also agree that 1080p IS hot.

what's next? maybe i'll go by a Dell with windows XP Pro on it

1. 1080p is killer

2. Cell processor at 3+ghz gets me all hot and sweaty, if claims of ram also running at 3+ghz is true

3. i am happy to see nVidia** back in the game, ATI was beginning to have too easy a ride

4. blu-ray: yup no surprises there..! except if they decide on the common format they are supposed to be working out with the hd-dvd camp ???

5. personally (and yes i am possibly very biased i like this design better than xbox 360, but only when the ps3 is standing vertically. horizontally it looks like a home appliance of some sort (grill, sandwich toaster, ...??? )

**think of that simpsons episode where bart and lisa are playing each other in junior ice hockey... homer's like i want you to fight for your parents love!! fight! that's what we're saying now to ATI and nVidia...! fight for our love!! who can produce the best graphics for the most bang for our buck! fight fight fight! bwah ha hah ah ha ha finally capitalism comes in handy...

edit:

f8ck it. sorted. f8ck the powermac g5. i get iMac g5 or g5/g4 powerbook for core work, ps3 for FUN stuff. f8cking sorted mate..!!
  • Reply 34 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The Xbox 360 is Sooooo OWNED

high five buddy... now down low...

oh YEAHHHHHHH !!

ROFLMAO tsk tsk hmurchinson i would never have guessed you would EVER use the word "owned" on this thread, mr. computer science-type 'specs don't matter guy'

hey, were' all 5-year-old-kids at heart, no worries matey

PS3 p*OWNAGE!!! YEAH!!!111!111!!! 1080P !!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Ok who has seen the PS3 footage from gamertrailers.com?

Is this stuff in game??

damn the KillZone trailer was unbelievable, not just the graphics, choreography, everything, sound, vehicles. i just watching the trailer in fullscreen on my ibook, i literally jumped back at the last part when the first person rockets the apache-like helicopter and it comes tumbling down towards you..!! f8ck man
  • Reply 36 of 117
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Point of fact correction (of something I said earlier):

The XBox will require a minimum of either 720p or 1080i from its games, that is not a top limit of the XBox's capabilities. It is quite possible that the 360 will be able to do 1080p if TVs come out for it and developers develop for it.
  • Reply 37 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

damn the KillZone trailer was unbelievable, not just the graphics, choreography, everything, sound, vehicles. i just watching the trailer in fullscreen on my ibook, i literally jumped back at the last part when the first person rockets the apache-like helicopter and it comes tumbling down towards you..!! f8ck man

Yep Killzone looks absolutely stunning. To be honest I don't believe this can in game graphics (due to Sony picking up the bad habit of using FMVs to sell their games). Can someone verify this for me?
  • Reply 38 of 117
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Yep Killzone looks absolutely stunning. To be honest I don't believe this can in game graphics (due to Sony picking up the bad habit of using FMVs to sell their games). Can someone verify this for me?

Given the demo they did with the Unreal 3 Engine and the ducks + leaves I'd take it as real time rendering. The whole point of this generation is close to movie cinema quality in games at real time.
  • Reply 39 of 117
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

So how is this different from all of the XBOX threads in future hardware?? I would think that this is closer to what kind of hardware Apple could have in the future, because this is working. "In the future" indeed, go read an XBOX thread.
  • Reply 40 of 117
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

So how is this different from all of the XBOX threads in future hardware?? I would think that this is closer to what kind of hardware Apple could have in the future, because this is working. "In the future" indeed, go read an XBOX thread.

Because those threads are specifically about Apple's potential use of XBox technology.

Jon Ives eats food and designs hardware. All food threads in Future Hardware!