PlayStation 3 megathread

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Because those threads are specifically about Apple's potential use of XBox technology.

Jon Ives eats food and designs hardware. All food threads in Future Hardware!

Really: Run modified OS X on XBOX 360, so you are saying that Apple will port OSX over to the XBOX? What have you been eating?
  • Reply 42 of 117
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    No, that's ridiculous.

Ridiculous crap about Apple products in the future goes in Future Hardware.
  • Reply 43 of 117
    Quote:

No, that's ridiculous.

Ridiculous crap about Apple products in the future goes in Future Hardware.

OK
  • Reply 44 of 117
    Quote:

Point of fact correction (of something I said earlier):

The XBox will require a minimum of either 720p or 1080i from its games, that is not a top limit of the XBox's capabilities. It is quite possible that the 360 will be able to do 1080p if TVs come out for it and developers develop for it.

Back on track.

Does this mean that Apple may be able to do 1080p. sometime in 2006? It sounds like early in 2006. And does this kind of performance point to PCI-E for the Mac to support such a video chip? What aabout the speed of the processor, how does that relate to the future of the 970, since the cell was supposed to start at 4GHz if I remember correctly. It looks like we can see what DVD drive the new Macs will be sporting. Thoughts?
  • Reply 45 of 117
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Oh you clever boy I will tousle your hair.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    Quote:

Oh you clever boy I will tousle your hair.

If I had any.
  • Reply 47 of 117
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    XBOX vs, PS3 = Who has XBOX live for me. Although I'll probably end up with both I never play my PS2 anymore because it's online features pale in comparison. XBOX live is better than playing PC games online IMO. It's just way more fun.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

XBOX vs, PS3 = Who has XBOX live for me. Although I'll probably end up with both I never play my PS2 anymore because it's online features pale in comparison. XBOX live is better than playing PC games online IMO. It's just way more fun.

Clearly Sony could use a partner, to help them with things like this.
  • Reply 49 of 117
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Does anyone see a bit of resemblance to the Bose Lifestyle systems that have been on the market for over a decade now?
  • Reply 50 of 117
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Looks better than the Xbox360, and I like the color selections. (I currently don't have a single while product in my entertainment center - thanks M$!) but why do all three companies show their new systems placed vertically? I know they are designed both ways, but vertical throws off CD/DVD reads, and IIRC is bad for CD/DVD drive and HDD life-spans. (wears out the spindle bearings quicker) This is the same reason I'm holding out on an iMac G5 for at least a year or two...to see what the reliability is like.

• Reply 51 of 117
    johnsocaljohnsocal Posts: 193member
    I think that M$ will win this round of the console wars at least in the US. While the PS3 is nice its blu-ray drive is going to make it cost considerably more. Since M$ will most likely have at least a 6 month headstart in which they can reduce production cost as soon as the Ps3 launches and also release Halo 3 the same day to steal some of their thunder.

. The fact that Square will now start to make the Final Fantasy series for the xbox (starting with a remake) and now that EA will support LIVE I think Sony will have a much tougher time remaining number #1.

Everyone I have read who has seen all 3 systems has stated they doubt there will be any significant graphics difference between them all. I expect the winner of this console war will be the one who can get the best games out first and have the lowest retail price and be able to generate the greatest amount of hype and spend the most on advertising.
  • Reply 52 of 117
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brendon

Clearly Sony could use a partner, to help them with things like this.

Wasn't Sega responsible for the development of the Xbox Live interface? Hmm. Sega's online service for the Dreamcast was supposedly pretty good also. Maybe that's who Sony and Nintendo should call to develop their online content and services.
  • Reply 53 of 117
    eric_zeric_z Posts: 175member
    Man, I stayed up late watching the news roll in about the ps3 and I've watched through the streams out there. And I've got a feeling of tech lust that I've not fellt in ages.

Fortunately for my wallet it won't be released untill spring 2006, wich propably means xmas 2006 for the euro launch. Enough time for the most pressing feelings of want to subside methinks.

Now to repress the urge to save up to a PSP... must, fight...
  • Reply 54 of 117
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

Man, I stayed up late watching the news roll in about the ps3 and I've watched through the streams out there. And I've got a feeling of tech lust that I've not fellt in ages.

Fortunately for my wallet it won't be released untill spring 2006, wich propably means xmas 2006 for the euro launch. Enough time for the most pressing feelings of want to subside methinks.

Now to repress the urge to save up to a PSP... must, fight...

Ditto for me! The second I saw Warhawk, that spark at the back of my brain

screamed...Buy PS3! I've been waiting for a sequel to this game for 10 years.

I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder. The PS3 is single-handedly

going to spike the sales of Samsung's 1080p DLP tv's. EA's Fight Night looked

pretty friggin' sweet as well. The way the boxer's face rippled with that slow-mo

punch (ala Matrix 3) and facial expressions were just amazing! Actually,

almost every high-res movie that I downloaded from IGN just reinforced that

urge to wait for the PS3. Motorstorm, Killzone, Vision Gran Tourismo, Killing

Day, & etc. all looked sweet.

The MTV special for the Xbox 360 did not impress me at all except for their

online. If Sony's online experience is even half as good as the Xbox, then

Microsoft is pretty much F*&ked.

And in case anyone thinks I'm being biased. I own:

PS2

Xbox

Gamecube

N64

17" Powerbook
  • Reply 55 of 117
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I'm really dumb! I don't watch or have much interest in TV, what's all this 1080p people are talking about?
  • Reply 56 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

I'm really dumb! I don't watch or have much interest in TV, what's all this 1080p people are talking about?

It's the highest HDTV resolution standard, 1,920x1,080 pixels. The p stands for progressive scan, as opposed to i (in for example 1080i) wich means interlaced.
  • Reply 57 of 117
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

It's the highest HDTV resolution standard, 1,920x1,080 pixels. The p stands for progressive scan, as opposed to i (in for example 1080i) wich means interlaced.

cool, are we talking monitor kind of definition too? Like you could connect a PC to it and it would still be really clear? what do they cost?
  • Reply 58 of 117
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

cool, are we talking monitor kind of definition too? Like you could connect a PC to it and it would still be really clear? what do they cost?

From Wikipedia:

Progressive scanning is a method for representing moving images on a display screen, where every pixel is represented in each frame. This is in contrast to the interlacing used in traditional television systems (progressive-scanning devices are sometimes referred to as non-interlaced).

Progressive scan is used in computer monitors. Usually video monitors use a faster scan to order the placement of pixels of the frame of video from left to right and from top to bottom at a given frame rate (e.g. every 1/60 of a second).

Link.

[Edit] Added a link [/Edit]
  • Reply 59 of 117
    Here's more reading on HDTV.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    The XBox gets Half Life 2 AND Quake 4... Unless the PS3 gets both these titles, I'll stick to the XBox.

The PS3's specs appear more impressive, but it's all about the games...