Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.3

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    I have Tiger on a Dual 2.0GHz G5, a Dual 1.25GHz G4, and a 450MHz G4 with absolutly no problems.

Edit: The only problem I have is font problems while using QuarkXPress 6.5. But I know this is not a problem with Tiger because the same fonts work fine in Illustrator CS2, Photoshop CS2, InDesign CS2 and Microsoft Office X.
  • Reply 22 of 69
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

I have Tiger on a Dual 2.0GHz G5, a Dual 1.25GHz G4, and a 450MHz G4 with absolutly no problems.

Edit: The only problem I have is font problems while using QuarkXPress 6.5. But I know this is not a problem with Tiger because the same fonts work fine in Illustrator CS2, Photoshop CS2, InDesign CS2 and Microsoft Office X.

Did you have those SAME font problems with quark before? If not, then it is a problem with 10.4.

That doesn't mean that it's Apple's fault. They have changed things in fornt handling. But it's still a 10.4 problem.
  • Reply 23 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Did you have those SAME font problems with quark before? If not, then it is a problem with 10.4.

That doesn't mean that it's Apple's fault. They have changed things in fornt handling. But it's still a 10.4 problem.

Same fonts as before when I was using Quark 4.1/5.0 in Classic on 10.2.8. Why do they work properly in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Office but not in Quark? I'm also using Suitcase X1 to manage my fonts. Maybe there's a problem between Suitcase and Quark.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    Quote:

Same fonts as before when I was using Quark 4.1/5.0 in Classic on 10.2.8. Why do they work properly in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Office but not in Quark? I'm also using Suitcase X1 to manage my fonts. Maybe there's a problem between Suitcase and Quark.

There is a problem with Suitcase.
  • Reply 25 of 69
    Hopefully this will fix Safari speed & stability since 10.4.2. On my system it has become really slow & unstable after somewhat prolonged use. It's like a runaway train. Often using >100% CPU (DP G5 2.5) and holding the entire system hostage.

I have to restarting my system every day if I want to keep it snappy or at least restart Safari at intervals. After the system has been on for a while, I can't browse a tab until all other tabs have fully loaded. If one auto-refreshes, I can't do anything until it's finished reloading. Right now Safari "beachballs" intermittenly and halts the text typing while it switches running 15-50% cpu every second as I'm typing this msg ( with 294MB real memory & 729MB virtual memory used for Safari) A real pain. Time to restart, just to keep my sanity.

They also need to fix all the resources widgets require. Every widget taking >200MB of virtual memory on the hard drive, together with the OS and a few apps really makes the system depend too much on the hard drive.

.Mac also is still long overdue for a serious speed improvement in terms of connection time & transferring files. Maybe they need to allow multiple files to be transmitted in parallel rather than one after another with such slow acknowlegdements between each file.

icerabbit

PS: System has 2.5 GB of RAM ...
  • Reply 26 of 69
    It took >2 minutes at >100% CPU to submit the previous post and get back here and then still was running >100%

Tried to quit Safari. Had to force-quit it. Now only takes 27MB RAM & 291 virtual. 1 sec to submit a page.
  • Reply 27 of 69
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Yes, it's very weird, and almost impossible to believe.

I forgot to mention, I also upgraded a dual 2.0 GHz G5, also completely without issues (I had pre-ordered the G5 on the same day they were released ~2 years ago). This again was not a clean install, it had been running for almost 2 years at that point, never being reinstalled and was being used 8 hours a day. I didn't even bother to run Disk Utility first.

On the other hand, I used to constantly have problems with OS upgrades before OS X. For example, I went through hell with 7.5, and its updates, as well as upgrading to OS 8 and OS 9. But with OS X, which I switched to once 10.2 came out, I never once had problems with upgrades.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    Quote:

There is a problem with Suitcase.

Not to hijack this thread but, specifics? Two computers exhibit the exact same font problem. It's has to be Quark.
  • Reply 29 of 69
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Not to hijack this thread but, specifics? Two computers exhibit the exact same font problem. It's has to be Quark.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Suitcase. I used to use it at work and after I disabled it there was a significant reduction in crashes in InDesign.
  • Reply 30 of 69
    Quote:

Let me be more specific. There is a KNOWN problem with Suitcase.

That better?
  • Reply 31 of 69
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    God, I hope this is FINALLY the release that Apple gets Tiger right.

Tiger and its sea of bugs and half thought-through designs is a flashback to 10.0.0.

Come on Apple. Longhorn is going to be better than "good enough." And you need a good base to build Leopard on. Plus, we all paid good money for this OS.
  • Reply 32 of 69
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icerabbit

It took >2 minutes at >100% CPU to submit the previous post and get back here and then still was running >100%

Tried to quit Safari. Had to force-quit it. Now only takes 27MB RAM & 291 virtual. 1 sec to submit a page.

This sounds like a problem I was having, it turned out to be that I needed to restart my cable modem and airport router and airport on the computer. I did this out of frustration when I had downloaded the airport updater, which you will need to select configure to actually get that update to the router, then apparently what the router would like to see is the modem restarted. I don't know about your set-up but it sounds like internet connection problems. Just so you know, I was able to surf, get mail, etc no problem, what tipped me off was that the iPhoto update was going to take me 2hours to down load, my down load speed is 3Mb or at least it was prior to the update. A total restart fixed everything, and yes I too suffered very long reply times, on the order of 15 to 20 sec. I had to slowly and methodically restart everything in order from the internat back to the computer.

Here are speed check after the total restart:

broadband

fast\t

\t\t«2mbit barrier

Yours\t«2434 down

\t\t«351 up

(3mbit barrier not shown)
  • Reply 33 of 69
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

Tiger and its sea of bugs and half thought-through designs is a flashback to 10.0.0.

Come on Apple. Longhorn is going to be better than "good enough." And you need a good base to build Leopard on. Plus, we all paid good money for this OS.

? So you plan on using Longhorn/Vista? It would take A LOT for Windows to be more than good enough for those of already getting the goods from OS X.

The new Windows won't even be here until Christmas next year. OS X will probably have 6 or 7 more updates by then and maybe even Leopard itself. Gawd this gets old.
  • Reply 34 of 69
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Are you flippin kidding me? Longhorn will NOT be better than "good enough." When the hell has there or will there ever be a Windows better than good enough!? Get yourself checked out. And 10.4.2. is finally getting us back to a stable OS X we know and love.

On another note though, Apple reeeeeally needs to fix the way icons sometimes don't move around right on the Desktop. That's been a bug since the beginning of Panther, maybe even Jaguar. Am I the only one seeing this? I had it on Panther too. I was kind of hoping Tiger would fix it. It's so annoying.
  • Reply 35 of 69
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    Personally, I wish Apple would fix a lot of the searching issues in the Finder:

- Start typing into the search field and it locks up while it starts searching. Anything you type doesn't show up immediately.

- Sorting in list view while in Smart folders is not instant like a regular folder. The contents disappear and then reappear like a search was performed again.

- Adding criteria in a smart folder is limited in the fact that you can't add two of the same criteria. For example...

I can't say I want a smart folder that shows me all my PDF and Word DOC files. Instead the Finder creates a query that looks for files that are both PDF AND DOC files. It inserts "&&" in between every new criteria. This is fine and all, but you should be able to specify when creating in the Finder that you want all the files that match any or all of the criteria like you can in iTunes.

I have to actually go in and edit the smart folder query myself in TextEdit to make the smart folders behave like I want them to. I shouldn't have to do this unless I am creating a very complex smart folder query.
  • Reply 36 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Are you flippin kidding me? Longhorn will NOT be better than "good enough." When the hell has there or will there ever be a Windows better than good enough!? Get yourself checked out. And 10.4.2. is finally getting us back to a stable OS X we know and love.

On another note though, Apple reeeeeally needs to fix the way icons sometimes don't move around right on the Desktop. That's been a bug since the beginning of Panther, maybe even Jaguar. Am I the only one seeing this? I had it on Panther too. I was kind of hoping Tiger would fix it. It's so annoying.

The point is that it WILL be "good enough" for Windows users. It's a different story for Mac users.

The problem is that Apple is finally trying, and succeeding in, stopping its slide and getting back on the path of solid growth. Most of that growth is coming from Windows users. If Vista is "good enough" for them, they might not continue to move over.

Apple has to get over these bugs quickly so that it can get these people over to the Leopard team. I really wasn't expecting 10.4.3 to be worked on so feaverishly. I don't know what that tells.

I hope one of those reasons is your bug.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

For me Mail is fine, it's the .Mac/Backup uselessness that is a problem,

And why can't we have a defrag utility standard?

Mac OS 10.4 already has 'defrag' builtin.

It 'defrags' the harddisk as you save files.

Next feature request please ...
  • Reply 38 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by olive_

What 10.4.3 needs to call Tiger, Tiger, at last.

FYI, i have a PB17, clean install, 1Go RAM.

- less than 4 minutes 20 seconds before being able to use my mac when starting/logging

o

You have something wrong with your computer.

My 1.25ghz eMac takes around 30 seconds to boot.

Try disconnecting all your external Firewire/USB periperhals and test it again.
  • Reply 39 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by coldfusion1970

Mac OS 10.4 already has 'defrag' builtin.

It 'defrags' the harddisk as you save files.

Next feature request please ...

Don't be in such a rush to answer without checking first. That's not entirely true. OS X only defrags files that are 20MB and smaller. It's even more complex than that. If you have a large PS file scattered around your drive, it will remain so.
  • Reply 40 of 69
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

The point is that it WILL be "good enough" for Windows users. It's a different story for Mac users.

The problem is that Apple is finally trying, and succeeding in, stopping its slide and getting back on the path of solid growth. Most of that growth is coming from Windows users. If Vista is "good enough" for them, they might not continue to move over.

Apple has to get over these bugs quickly so that it can get these people over to the Leopard team. I really wasn't expecting 10.4.3 to be worked on so feaverishly. I don't know what that tells.

I hope one of those reasons is your bug.

I believe that we have established that internally Apple has two teams for periods of time. Like now there are two teams one for Tiger bugs which the size of that team is based on the amount of bugs and where. Tiger is not that much different from other releases, I think that Apple is working so quickly so that they can recommend it for sale to larger audences. Leopard is still like over a year away, Apple has the people that were working on H.264, as well as Rosetta and universal libraries, and all things OS ported to Intel. Looking back, I was surprised by the agressive time table for Tiger, but I was totally taken back when I learned about H.264, and the porting to Intel and Rosetta. It is now clear that Apple has done amazing things and may not have had the programmers that they needed for all of those jobs, Leopard will be different, Apple will have their whole team and will be able to focus on one thing, OS development. The product teams will port their software over and not much problem for them except for optimizing stuff like the pro apps, but it just so happens that Apple just purchased a company that does just that.