OSX 10.5 - when?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

One thing I never understood about windows was it's lack of customization in the user accounts. It's either admin or limited.

Maybe you should go take a class and then you'll understand it better.

You can customize pretty much anything in user account. Just the local security policy correctly and you're good to go.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Maybe you should go take a class and then you'll understand it better.

You can customize pretty much anything in user account. Just the local security policy correctly and you're good to go.

I will never understand why people feel it is necessary to write stuff like the first line.

Why not just correct the mistake and let the personal comment rest?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I'm not talking about what is possible, I'm talking about what windows offers as a out of the box solution in their opperating system. Most people won't know how to change account settings other than the default "Admin" and "Limited". With the Registry Editor you can do anything you goddam please.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

So what do you guys think Mac OS X: Leopard needs to have to compete with Vista.

What dosen't Tiger have that already blows Visnada away?
  • Reply 25 of 47
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

No, they didn't. They said that Leopard should be shipping by the end of 2006. Watch the keynote again.

I'm not talking about shipping leopard, im talking about information on leopard. Read the context. Hey look what I can do, take "I'm not talking", oh wait, but that would be a lie, because I am talking.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I'm not talking about shipping leopard, im talking about information on leopard. Read the context. Hey look what I can do, take "I'm not talking", oh wait, but that would be a lie, because I am talking.

writing...
  • Reply 27 of 47
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Some things Windows has that have been missing, BIG TIME, since Mac OS X 10.0:

Roll-back for updates. Even updates from Apple aren't perfect. In fact some, like 10.2.8 or 10.1.4 are disastrous!

Hibernate. Or Save and Shutdown. Like in Windows. Saves RAM to disk and turns off computer entirely, and saves lots of battery on laptops, which now outsell desktops. OS X still pigs out on battery even in Sleep. Sorely lacking.

Disk Defragmenter. For piece of mind of Switchers. Ok yeah I was running out of ideas!

Any others?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Disk Defragmenter. For piece of mind of Switchers. Ok yeah I was running out of ideas!

OS X uses a journaled filesystem which doesn't need to be defragmented, its done on the fly automatically.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Only mind you for files 20 MiB and under which is done when they are opened. Big files like images or movies still get fragmented.

And journalled file systems merely make a record of what changes they intend to make in case something goes wrong, nothing to do with file fragmentation.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Personally, I agree some of those little 'Mac OS Classic' touches like Spring loaded folders and a thorough bit of spit and polish on consistent UI and nailing the 'useability' bits that people seem to keep nagging about.

I think 'Snap' will truly come with the next gen Intel Processors. HTML, interface and GL scores seem better according to the Keynote demo and early developer benches...

What I'd like to see:

1. Way more 3D and eyecand: More fluff to bury the 'wavy' effect in Vista...to be the cheap knock off it is.

2. See some 3D effects for certain parts of interface...

3. Customisable dock (appearance transparent/patterned...own design...) with multiple and themed docks...

4. More 'tutorials' ala help and QT features as part of the OS or hot linked to Apple's website so that you know how to do a 'Automator'...script etc...how to use the OS...ie for Switchers...ie the MacAdemy OS X tutorials are fantastic for beginners...

5. Open GL 2 with GL performance on Doom 3 or anyother game that does not languish behind PC games... At least a 50% improvement over the current speed...

6. Broaden the iLife suite to include a simple Web-Site maker...

7. Broaden iWorks to include databasing and Spreadsheets...

8. Broaden iWorks to include iChatAV video conferencing, chat, Mail and Quicktime 7 and Safari in an integrate 'Office for the future' package...

9. Better desktop burning for CDs/DVDs from the Finder that doesn't need a 3rd party app to do multi-session or re-write burns etc...make it as easy as floppy or zip storage...

10. Better threading of apps.

11. Get Adobe of Codewarrior and support X-Code and Core Image instead those...sllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooowwww filters we've had... Yeesh, Adobe you're turning into the new M$ bloat king...

12. A trash can that can come off the dock...

13. Widgets that can come off the widget board...

14. More themes...iPod theme....ie product themes...ie 'cheese grater' look, iPod classic look...aqua look, mix...

15. Spring loaded folders...

16. A re-furbished finder...I still want more improvements to it. Spotlight isn't the be all and end all for organising your work. Good for finding it tho'.

17. Bring back the Happy Mac as an Easter Egg somewhere...

18. Less beach ball.

19. Lightning snap everywhere on the interface.

20. Optimised for Dual Core and GL2.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 31 of 47
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I think 'Snap' will truly come with the next gen Intel Processors. HTML, interface and GL scores seem better according to the Keynote demo and early developer benches...

The DTS doesn't feel any snappier than a regular Mac.

Quote:

That's called .Mac

Quote:

8. Broaden iWorks to include iChatAV video conferencing, chat, Mail and Quicktime 7 and Safari in an integrate 'Office for the future' package...

You want to remove Mail, iChat, QuickTime and Safari from Mac OS X and make people pay for them?

Quote:

11. Get Adobe of Codewarrior and support X-Code and Core Image instead those...sllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooowwww filters we've had... Yeesh, Adobe you're turning into the new M$ bloat king..

The move to Intel is automatically getting Adobe to use Xcode, and at least Illustrator is already there. But you won't get Adobe to use Core Image (even though the developers really want to) because of feature parity across platforms.

Quote:

Why? So it can get hidden behind some window?

Quote:

15. Spring loaded folders...

Has been there a few years now.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The move to Intel is automatically getting Adobe to use Xcode, and at least Illustrator is already there. But you won't get Adobe to use Core Image (even though the developers really want to) because of feature parity across platforms.

Is this true? I assumed they would just roll Intel into the cross-platform framework they already use for most of their apps. Xcode would be awesome though.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

Is this true? I assumed they would just roll Intel into the cross-platform framework they already use for most of their apps. Xcode would be awesome though.

Illustrator was supposed to be shown at the WWDC keynote, but Adobe found a bug in the Xcode beta a few days before WWDC.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:

From the same company that had a page about Macs being slow on Premiere?

From the same company that has 'some applications' on Windows but not on Mac?

Even dark enemy M$ apparently had some features on Office Mac and not on Windows. Take advantage of what the platform offers...

If one platform has superior tech', you take advantage of it. If Windows had Core Image and Video, I bet Adobe would have had it by now. Yeesh, Adobe porting their stuff to Windows did alot of damage to Mac marketshare (along with Apple of course... )

Maybe if we see them on X-Code, they will add core image? Yeesh, there's not much more we can add to Photoshop? The filters are old, slow and the app bloated. Taking advantage of the X-Code framework and the Core Image Api would at least freshen up the app somewhat.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

llustrator was supposed to be shown at the WWDC keynote, but Adobe found a bug in the Xcode beta a few days before WWDC.

Typical. The 'sllllow' bloatware company found a bug. I think the Adobe Suite will probably be ready by San Fran' launch. Definitely by WWDC 06?

I like the look of the trace feature in Illustrator. THat's made me look at the Illustrator app with new eyes...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 36 of 47

Really? It looked it. Judging how faster Web browsing and flash and open gl are on the Windows platform, I hope the 'x86' goodness rubs off on the Mac X Intel platform.

quote:Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

That's called .Mac

YEah, I kNOW! But a 'real' web maker program in the the spirit of the iapps...

You want to remove Mail, iChat, QuickTime and Safari from Mac OS X and make people pay for them?

Putting words in my mouth. I didn't say 'remove'? Keep them as they are...

but package them, in addition, as a separate package with iWorks in an 'office' of the future package. Just to show what these apps can do in another context. Part of the OS...part of the point of sale iWorks... For added distribution and exposure in context of broadening iWork's appeal. It looks threadbare as an app at the moment...

11. Get Adobe of Codewarrior and support X-Code and Core Image instead those...sllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooowwww filters we've had... Yeesh, Adobe you're turning into the new M$ bloat king..

Feature parity sucks. Hasn't the Mac been behind in certain Windows apps from Adobe in the past? ANybody?

Why? So it can get hidden behind some window?

Why would you have a window way down in the bottom right hand corner on a drag and drop interface?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Gosh, that reply looks horrible...

Still, new idea.

What about iPodcast?

That would be a killer iApp piece of software...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 38 of 47
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...e&NewsID=12353

If Adobe don't start to innovate, maybe M$ will? Perish the thought?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

Even dark enemy M$ apparently had some features on Office Mac and not on Windows. Take advantage of what the platform offers...

And hundreds of features in the Windows version not found in the Mac version - because of politics, not techs.

Quote:

If one platform has superior tech', you take advantage of it. If Windows had Core Image and Video, I bet Adobe would have had it by now.

No, Adobe is using their own cross platform graphics layer and has been for years.

Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon Maybe if we see them on X-Code, they will add core image?

No.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Really? It looked it. Judging how faster Web browsing and flash and open gl are on the Windows platform, I hope the 'x86' goodness rubs off on the Mac X Intel platform.

I don't find web browsing faster on Windows, and the slowness in other apps are probably because of bad coding - not the processor.

The code will still be the same on Mac OS X for Intel, but if they have made any processor specific optimization, they can probably use that on Mac OS X for Intel.

Quote:

Putting words in my mouth. I didn't say 'remove'? Keep them as they are...

but package them, in addition, as a separate package with iWorks in an 'office' of the future package. Just to show what these apps can do in another context. Part of the OS...part of the point of sale iWorks... For added distribution and exposure in context of broadening iWork's appeal. It looks threadbare as an app at the moment...

Strange idea. Make apps everybody already have installed on the machines selling points?

Quote:

Why would you have a window way down in the bottom right hand corner on a drag and drop interface?

It happened many times when we were all using Mac OS 9.