CSR proposes Apple use its chips for wireless iPod headphones

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wireless technology group Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) has approached Apple Computer with the idea of installing its Bluetooth wireless microchips into future generations of the iPod music player, according to a new report.



The chips would allow Apple to manufacture iPods with Bluetooth wireless headsets, an increasingly popular feature of mobile devices among consumers, writes the The Independent.



Following a bullish trading update on Thursday, which showed sales of CSR's Bluetooth chips rising faster than expected, the company confirmed to the The Independent that it had approached Apple with the idea. Its chips are already being installed in more than 60% of all new devices that are given official Bluetooth design accreditation, the report states.



Apple documents pertaining to iPods with similar wireless communication capabilities surfaced on the Internet last November. The documents depict iPods that can transmit information wirelessly to other media devices or a computer.



One patent filing made by Apple describes a handheld music player that includes a wireless transmitter which can "transmit a continuous music feed to one or more personal tuning devices that each include a receiver capable of receiving information from the transmitter over the wireless connection."



Analysts have also vouched their belief that "Apple is trying to figure out how to make a wireless iPod" be it via Bluetooth or WiFi. While such a device is "likely still on the drafting table," UBS Investment Research analyst Ben Reitzes said a wireless iPod could be ready for the market by the end of 2006.



Although a Bluetooh-enabled iPod would not allow users to directly tap into the company's iTunes Music Store, it would do away with the need to use a USB or FireWire cable when performing small synchronizations with iTunes on a Mac or PC.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 52
    Yea the way foward. Me personly would love an ipod that could transmit

    music to my Airport Express rather than transmit from my Mac that way I could see what music will be played next etc.



  • Reply 2 of 52
    Well, announcing to the world that you are trying to do business with Apple and leaking what a possible product feature will be, is an absolute GUARANTEE that you either a) are not doing any business with Apple whatsoever, and b) you never will.



    I suspect this is just some idiot CEO's attempt to drum up some business from Apple's competitors. Leak you tried to sell to Apple which gets Apple's competitors to call you.



    This is just a sleazy sales technique. Nothing more.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    I suspect we won't see this until bluetooth connections in cars are very common. Remember to keep the headphones charged every day would just be a pain in the rear end, and there really isn't a huge market of nice Bluetooth headphones yet, and many of the ones available are fairly heavy.



    Steve is going to do his best to make sure the user experience doesn't suck (note he let Belkin manufacture the suctastic CF reader). Also, how many rivals offer this functionality in their players? one has to figure that Apple will follow on this rather than lead, simply because rival companies will likely try to jump ahead of the curve simply to have the feature line item, regardless of usability.



    On a side note, I'm wondering if Apple won't release a "Nano Tubby edition" that is a bit thicker but incorporates a 8GB 1" drive to attract people who need a bit more space, but like the smaller form factor over the full size 20GB iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

    I suspect we won't see this until bluetooth connections in cars are very common. Remember to keep the headphones charged every day would just be a pain in the rear end, and there really isn't a huge market of nice Bluetooth headphones yet, and many of the ones available are fairly heavy.





    Also audio quality is a big factor, how good is wireless audio? anyone? It seems that good wireless audio would be quite pricey... the whole thing just seems highly unlikely.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Nothing wrong with wireless audio. The music I stream on my Airport Express is

    superb. Seriously, really is excellent. Apple will design a device where the headphones will be charged via USB when charging the iPod I suspect.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jimbo123

    Yea the way foward. Me personly would love an ipod that could transmit

    music to my Airport Express rather than transmit from my Mac that way I could see what music will be played next etc.









    Here it is. Enjoy.



  • Reply 7 of 52
    great mock up.....

    ----------------------------------------------------

    guys...remember: BATTERY......bluetooth probably drains the hell out of the ipod/headphones.

    -----------------------------------------------------

    one thing to suport the bluetooth deal is that they cahnged all their lines to include bluetooth 2.0



    ----------------------------------------------------



    i recently got a bluetooth headphone form motorola...and it's sort of a hazzle because it needs to be paired....i use it for my pw and for my phone and i have to make a quick configuration...apple would have to do something easier.



    --------------------------------------------------------



    the best motorola headset can hold up to 8 hours talk time and about 120 standby. so take the mic out and you probably get 10-12 hrs i gues....thats right about the same amount for the ipod. the diference is the charging. once they do it it will porbably not come standard, because that is something to profit from. i would do it as to small headsets, conected by a small thin rope, behind the head. so that you son't loose them.



    i would only put the BT in the higher end models so that you don't compromise space in the nano/shuffle
  • Reply 8 of 52
    just one error in the mock up....the headphones...the nano has the port inthe bottom because the screen takes up the space. but otherwise good job.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    If those are 1 inch thick, that must mean they are like 8 inches wide. That's HUGE! That's more than they are now.



    J/K
  • Reply 10 of 52
    erm, if that is 1 inch thick, what is it like a foot tall?
  • Reply 11 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hkbaq

    great mock up.....

    ----------------------------------------------------

    guys...remember: BATTERY......bluetooth probably drains the hell out of the ipod/headphones.

    -----------------------------------------------------

    one thing to suport the bluetooth deal is that they cahnged all their lines to include bluetooth 2.0



    ----------------------------------------------------



    i recently got a bluetooth headphone form motorola...and it's sort of a hazzle because it needs to be paired....i use it for my pw and for my phone and i have to make a quick configuration...apple would have to do something easier.



    --------------------------------------------------------



    the best motorola headset can hold up to 8 hours talk time and about 120 standby. so take the mic out and you probably get 10-12 hrs i gues....thats right about the same amount for the ipod. the diference is the charging. once they do it it will porbably not come standard, because that is something to profit from. i would do it as to small headsets, conected by a small thin rope, behind the head. so that you son't loose them.



    i would only put the BT in the higher end models so that you don't compromise space in the nano/shuffle




    Apple is now incorporating Bluetooth 2 in its machines.



    It uses much less power, but is also much faster. It also has more range, and is much more secure. So think along this new standard rather than the old Bluetooth.



    What might not be practical with Ver. 1 is with ver. 2.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tak1108

    If those are 1 inch thick, that must mean they are like 8 inches wide. That's HUGE! That's more than they are now.



    J/K






    Sorry ... I meant 0.3 inch wide. Forgive me ... Damn these European !!! ;-)
  • Reply 13 of 52
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    One compalins about the mock-uped iPod is one foot tall and another complains about battery time.



    Can´t you see the one is the solution to the other?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hkbaq

    just one error in the mock up....the headphones...the nano has the port inthe bottom because the screen takes up the space. but otherwise good job.



    These are not nano. and , yes... I forgot the dock connector on the bottom !! ;-)
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Anders

    One compalins about the mock-uped iPod is one foot tall and another complains about battery time.



    Can´t you see the one is the solution to the other?






    ehehehehe !!!



    Picture this ... The removable caps could contain a autonomous battery that would be charged when the iPod is docked , and once it's playing on it's own the battery in the cap would handle netwouking chips inside it. That way the iPos battery would not be drained when streaming....



    And the two tone lower part could come in colours ...







  • Reply 16 of 52
    So do they sell them by the twelve pack so you can listen continuously for 6 hours?
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

    Originally posted by ChevalierMalFet

    So do they sell them by the twelve pack so you can listen continuously for 6 hours?



    LOL !Nuclear fusion , man, Nuclear fusion ! LOL...



    seriously...Of course that if the caps contained a self powered battery they would be bigger (taller) and wouldn't look as proportionate as depicted....







  • Reply 18 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,334member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by European guy

    LOL !Nuclear fusion , man, Nuclear fusion ! LOL...



    seriously...Of course that if the caps contained a self powered battery they would be bigger (taller) and wouldn't look as proportionate as depicted....




    Not necessarily. Button lithium rechargable cells are small yet would do the trick. Use two as in a camera.



    Nice mock-ups!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by jimbo123

    Nothing wrong with wireless audio. The music I stream on my Airport Express is superb.



    That's over WiFi, not Bluetooth.



    Certain wireless audio doesn't work particularly well (yet), like wireless speakers.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    european guy... cool i want the iPod Mini design to stage a dramatic comeback for the 40gb and 60gb iPod. big nice color screen... plays videos, along with the announcement of the iTMS movie store...!!!!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.