MS and Intel back HD DVD over Blu-ray

Comments

• Reply 241 of 297
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

Exlir - the 360 has 17 launch titles, the PS3 has over 100. If anything, the PS3 (from the looks of things so far) will dominate even more this generation than last. My favorite developer (snowblind) is going with the 360, but most are going with both or just the PS3.

yup, do you remember how many games the ps2 was supposed to launch with? haha

do you know how many it ended up launching with?

dont bite on every word from execs k?

even our beloved Steve Jobs promised us something and we never got it... i'm sure you guys know what i'm talking about.

just because they say it, doesn't mean its going to happen.

goes for everyone.
  • Reply 242 of 297
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

yup, do you remember how many games the ps2 was supposed to launch with? haha

do you know how many it ended up launching with?

A big difference being the PS2 could play the 100s of PS1 games.

Xbox360 will be using a totally different architecture from XBox, backwarda compatibility might be an issue.
  • Reply 243 of 297
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

A big difference being the PS2 could play the 100s of PS1 games.

Xbox360 will be using a totally different architecture from XBox, backwarda compatibility might be an issue.

It is an issue. They first denyed that it would be possible. Then they said maybe. Then they said a few. Of course those will have to be rewritten, recompiled, tweeked, etc.
  • Reply 244 of 297
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It is an issue. They first denyed that it would be possible. Then they said maybe. Then they said a few. Of course those will have to be rewritten, recompiled, tweeked, etc.

We know it's an issue from using VPC - running x86 code on a PPC ain't quick. I suppose chucking 3x 3GHz CPUs at the issue will help.

For me recompiled isn't backward compatibility as users will need to rebuy games.
  • Reply 245 of 297
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

We know it's an issue from using VPC - running x86 code on a PPC ain't quick. I suppose chucking 3x 3GHz CPUs at the issue will help.

For me recompiled isn't backward compatibility as users will need to rebuy games.

Maybe they'll give the updates to anyone who has a registered copy. That would be good publicity, and help to offset some of the disappointment, at least for those who have those games.

So far the games programmers have been only using one chip and two threads. Same problem on the PS2. I would hope that as they get more time and experience more power will be used on both machines.
  • Reply 246 of 297
    oy vey...! i know i'm notorious when it comes to off topic rants but this xbox360 vs ps3 is getting really whack man... talking about porting linux apps to ps3 or something? WTF? i woke up this morning to this thread confused and bewildered

anyway, so... WarnerBrothers is very likely according to engadget to announce bluRay support as one of the above posters mentioned, meaning all the major studios (except Universal) have announced bluRay.

Looks like the walls are rapidly closing in on Toshiba and hD-DVD, and idiot execs at MS and Intel shure are looking like dicks at this stage with their last-minute "hd dvd is teh rock!111!!" gamble. for all its might M$ even is not able to get a grip on next-gen hidef. really shows you that in regards to hidef, content really is king.

edit: my guess is that there is no way apple has negotiated for h.264 downloads for movie or tv shows for the video ipod. i guess 5% chance there may be a video ipod, even then only music videos at 480p max.
  • Reply 247 of 297
    Hey, it won't be long before you want to start a countdown. I'm too eager to find out tomorrows financials first though.
  • Reply 248 of 297
    Backwards compatibility is an issue, more so for nitnedo and

Ps2 than it is for Xbox. Xbox only needs a few games to work, they dont have the huge library nintendo and playstation have even though this will officially be nintendo's first year porting all games to the current system (huge asset for them)

xbox needs key titles and thats it. why port everything? i dont see many kids wanting to play last gen games that aren't hits except for those coming from later years such as ps1 and pregamecube era.

HD-DVD is not dead. most people are still on the fence, able to market dvd's for either format. there is a significant amount of time left. if the xbox360 comes out in full force this could sway other people to back off from blu-ray, ps3 still has some time to come out swinging.....

too soon to tell.
  • Reply 249 of 297
    Quote:

Backwards compatibility is an issue, more so for nitnedo and

Ps2 than it is for Xbox. Xbox only needs a few games to work, they dont have the huge library nintendo and playstation have even though this will officially be nintendo's first year porting all games to the current system (huge asset for them)

xbox needs key titles and thats it. why port everything? i dont see many kids wanting to play last gen games that aren't hits except for those coming from later years such as ps1 and pregamecube era.

HD-DVD is not dead. most people are still on the fence, able to market dvd's for either format. there is a significant amount of time left. if the xbox360 comes out in full force this could sway other people to back off from blu-ray, ps3 still has some time to come out swinging.....

too soon to tell.

Good, let's get back to BR and HD drives.

There are a number of threads here and other places about this.

It seems at this time that BR is on top. All the major studios except Universal have committed to it. Three exclusively and two will do both. Three have committed to HD, one exclusively and the same two will do both. Most computer companies committed to BR. There are at least four manufacturing companies demoing drives vs one for Hd.

BR will come out with drives by spring that both record 25GB R/RE, and 50GB R/RE. They might do double sided, but haven't said. They playback 25 and 50GB single side, and 100GB two sided. They can get a full Hi-def movie plus specials plus a standard DVD movie on one side with a label on the other.

HD will come out with drives end of first quarter or sometime second quarter. It will play 15 and 30GB on one side. Maybe there will be two sided 60GB disks at release, maybe not. It will play a hi-def movie with extras on one side, but the standard DVD must be on the second side. No label. Recorders won't be out at first. They will come "later". When they do come out they will record a 20GB RE, and if they are ready a 15GB R. Eventually they may record 30GB R's but they say it might take years. They also haven't said anything about two sided recordable disks.

HD will have "mandatory" managed copy. What we know about it so far is that it will require an internet connection to be able to do it. The consensus is that they will charge. How much? They don't say. Probably case by case.

BR also has managed copy, but haven't said whether it will be "mandatory" The guess is that it will be up to the studios.

There are other features that BR has as well that HD doesn't. One of the reasons the HD Assoc gave for the delay to next year was that they were adding "features" - the same ones that BR has already.

The 360 will have a DVD, no HD DVD. The PS3 will have Blu-Ray. Paramount and other studios have said that one of the reasons they chose BR was because of that.

Intel has no influence over this process, and it's new attempts to mediate has been called "tainted".

MS has a lot to lose if BR becomes standard as they chose to use the industry developed BD-Java as opposed to MS's iHD, which they call "developmental", i.e. - unfinished and buggy, and that it also "didn't go far enough in providing a compelling feature set beyond DVD, while BD-J offered studios a much richer palette for providing a compelling interactive HD experience for consumers, particularly when a player is connected to a network."

This is in the Panasonic press release as well as the one from HP and Paramount, and also from the two association sites.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that none of what I said is my own opinion. All of it is public.
  • Reply 250 of 297
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

..... I'm too eager to find out tomorrows financials first though.....

aw yeahh... apple madness this week. i'm trying to get back into flash coding so i'll see if i can whip up a countdown timer thingymajigy. interesting how the conf. call will be at 5pm usa eastern on tuesday ~ after markets close. i suppose this is common...

anyway looks like people have slowly been taking their profits for those comfortable with exiting at $51-$52. going into january though the share price will blow past $60 i reckon.

well enough of *my* off topic rambling
  • Reply 251 of 297
    what about the size of these players? i saw one for HD-DVD that was HUGE. are they going to be bigger? whats the deal with that.

my problem with blu-ray is the price. how much will this cost me? they say HD-DVD wont cost nearly as much as blu-ray.
  • Reply 252 of 297
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    we know that one type of bluRay player will cost as much as a PS3. this bluRay player incidentally, IS the PS3.

just being a smartass here
  • Reply 253 of 297
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Then again, it's not like there are that many games for the XBox that people would be motivated to play a year from now.

In poker terms, a gaming PC dominates XBox. I find there is little reason to get an XBox if you have or plan to have a gaming PC. They rule in FPS, strategy and MMORPGs. Apart from FPS, what does the XBox have that the PS2 doesn't?

On PS2, on the other hand, you get all arcade, action, sports, fighting, horror titles that don't exist on PC, and a lot you don't get on XBox. Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Katamari Damacy, Gran Turismo, dance games... these two devices complement each other well.
  • Reply 254 of 297
    Quote:

what about the size of these players? i saw one for HD-DVD that was HUGE. are they going to be bigger? whats the deal with that.

my problem with blu-ray is the price. how much will this cost me? they say HD-DVD wont cost nearly as much as blu-ray.

The size of the OEM players will be exactly the same. half size for computer use, or for a standalone box, amd 12.5 mm height for portable use.

The prices should be about the same. Just remember the first HD DVD platyers will be just that - a player. The first Blu-Ray units will also include recorders.

At any rate, this will be the first gen. It always costs more. The PS3 is wxpected to cost $400 with the player.
  • Reply 255 of 297
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Then again, it's not like there are that many games for the XBox that people would be motivated to play a year from now.

In poker terms, a gaming PC dominates XBox. I find there is little reason to get an XBox if you have or plan to have a gaming PC. They rule in FPS, strategy and MMORPGs. Apart from FPS, what does the XBox have that the PS2 doesn't?

On PS2, on the other hand, you get all arcade, action, sports, fighting, horror titles that don't exist on PC, and a lot you don't get on XBox. Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Katamari Damacy, Gran Turismo, dance games... these two devices complement each other well.

now see this is the type of ignorance i can not stand. no offense to you or anything but WOW

ok lets do a checklist

1. xbox was out for one year, did not have all the developers that ps had. however they are gaining HUGE ground here considering most if not all programmers will be making games for the 360

2. dance games, games like katamari damacy ARE NOT VITAL GAMES. these are games for hardcore gamers. what are the statistics of hardcore gamers vs casual? hmmm lets think of art deco cinema vs summer action flick.

3. grand turismo is now matched by froza motorsport, tekeen and virtu fighter can be easily matched up with dead or alive (even dead or alive beach volleyball)

4. PC's outmatch any gaming rig of the earlier years. hell in a year or two it willl be right up there with the 360 and ps3. PC gaming is also big because of its online, WHICH DING DING xbox 360 will be well above anything else that can even attempt to match PC gaming.

5. what do you mean? Halo by far besides Half Life 1 was one of the most played video games EVER. 4 years plus halo 1 was being played. Halo 2 could easily last another 2 years if wanted. what does playstation have? tell me? GTA ? umm xbox has that and its even better. come on now

i dont want to sound like a fanboy but man some of these arguments just aren't substantiel enough
  • Reply 256 of 297
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

now see this is the type of ignorance i can not stand. no offense to you or anything but WOW

Funnily enough, that's what I feel reading your utterly clueless posts on this thread. There are folks with years of actual professional game development experience here, and even that doesn't make you the slightest bit reluctant to spew out stuff like "Sony loses money on Playstation" that would show false in five seconds of googling.
    Quote:

1. xbox was out for one year, did not have all the developers that ps had. however they are gaining HUGE ground here considering most if not all programmers will be making games for the 360

Had you paid attention, you'd see I was comparing the PS2 and XBox. Not Sony (which you repeatedly call "Playstation") and Microsoft, not next generation consoles, but the current ones and the games that are out for them - the games whose compatibility matters.
    Quote:

2. dance games, games like katamari damacy ARE NOT VITAL GAMES. these are games for hardcore gamers. what are the statistics of hardcore gamers vs casual? hmmm lets think of art deco cinema vs summer action flick.

Wrong to the point where it borders on the absurd.

Katamari is one of the most casual games to come out on non-handheld consoles in years, so either you don't understand what the term means or you are trolling.

As for mainstream, PS2 has quite enough mainstream stuff, mostly the same titles XBox does. Note that most mainstream stuff has zero appeal left after the next gen sequels are out.

To reiterate: the only thing where XBox has a significant edge over PS2 - FPS games - is one where it's utterly crushed by a Windows PC. PS2's major strengths do not overlap with PC's, so it happily coexists with one.
    Quote:

3. grand turismo is now matched by froza motorsport, tekeen and virtu fighter can be easily matched up with dead or alive (even dead or alive beach volleyball)

Ever more clueless. DoA has quality graphics and lots of tits and ass, but it lacks the depth of gameplay in league with Virtua Fighter, Guilty Gear or Soul Calibur. This is evident not only from the accounts of hardcore players, but from the sizes of communities and amounts of tournaments organized. DoA is also not the super brand that Tekken or Virtua Fighter are. I admit driving games are a bad example, because that genre is highly evolutive and past driving games have little to offer later on.

DoA Beach Volleyball? Time to pull out the ol' trusty "". I guess you really were trolling.
    Quote:

4. PC's outmatch any gaming rig of the earlier years. hell in a year or two it willl be right up there with the 360 and ps3. PC gaming is also big because of its online, WHICH DING DING xbox 360 will be well above anything else that can even attempt to match PC gaming.

PC systematically outmatches anything including the new consoles in some game genres due to input, community, networking, modifyability. It's not a performance issue. It never was.

Regarding network play, we know nothing of what the PS3 will have. Common sense would suggest it's worse than on the 360 because Sony has less experience running a proper multiplayer system, but then again they have more than enough time to copy whatever the 360 has and make it better.
    Quote:

5. what do you mean? Halo by far besides Half Life 1 was one of the most played video games EVER. 4 years plus halo 1 was being played. Halo 2 could easily last another 2 years if wanted. what does playstation have? tell me? GTA ? umm xbox has that and its even better. come on now

Halo is one of the "few games" I was talking about. Fact is, most of what's out on the XBox is going to be superceded by next gen versions because it's bland crap shoveled from the bowels of EA. The games with novel gameplay and content are what people will want to play even after next gen stuff is out, and that the PS2 has aplenty.
    Quote:

i dont want to sound like a fanboy but man some of these arguments just aren't substantiel enough

You apparently don't want to sound like a boy who can spell and capitalize, either.
  • Reply 257 of 297
    its funny that you claim im trolling while everything coming out of your mouth holds as much weight as it does coming out of mine.

everything you have said is a matter of opinion, besides the ps2 losing money.

when i said that i meant when it was first released, sorry.

even though you commit fallacy after fallacy you like to point out mine

not to mention you really gotta be a lame ass to pick out capitalization and spelling errors

don't be that guy.
  • Reply 258 of 297
    Quote:

its funny that you claim im trolling while everything coming out of your mouth holds as much weight as it does coming out of mine.

everything you have said is a matter of opinion, besides the ps2 losing money.

when i said that i meant when it was first released, sorry.

even though you commit fallacy after fallacy you like to point out mine

not to mention you really gotta be a lame ass to pick out capitalization and spelling errors

don't be that guy.

But he is pretty much on the point.

While you may put them down, dance games are very popular.

Dance Dance Revolution is amazingly popular. More consoles are sold to those under 18 than to those over it. My daughter, who is now 14 has had the PS2 since it first came out, as do most of her friends. Almost every one has DDR. They all have two dance pads and buy every DVD that comes out for it. That's several a year. A hell of a franchise. Every person under 18 who comes over, and sometimes it's seven or eight kids, plays this dame. Sometimes for several hours!!!

MS has concentrated on FPS games, and only so many of those are popular at any one time, and lose their thrill after a short time. Racing games, dance games, and games like skateboard games have much more staying power. I see that all the time.

Also, most of MS's games (other than those for network play) seem to be for one player. Most of the games my daughter and her friends buy are used at get togethers and parties. MUCH more fun. That's why they have PS2's and are looking foward to the PS3.

My daughter buys at least 20 games a year for the PS2 and about the same number for the Gamecube. She hasn't bought even one for MY XBox, even though I would allow her to use it if she wanted to.

The 360 has nothing over the PS3 except for an early release date. We will see if that can overcome all of its disadvantages, such as lacking a hi-def solution.
  • Reply 260 of 297
    well i hope microsoft and intel don't trip with all the backpedalling they're gonna have to do sucked in, losers