Apple shipping MacBook Pros with faster processors

Comments

• Reply 121 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It's just that the comparisons have to be of like units for a starter. You wouldn't make a comparison between the iBook and the PowerBook, because they aren't comparable.

It's like making a comparison betwween a two seater and a sedan. The two seater IS smaller, but it's a different kind of car, with a different purpose.

Compare like to like.

The MacBook Pro isn't a notebook. It's a laptop. Compare it to other laptops.

That's funny. Perhaps Apple should rename it the MacTop Pro.

Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

When comparing thicknesses, the thinnest area isn't the relevant part. It would be fine to say that the Sony is from .9 to 1.3 inches thick, compared to the Apple, which is 1.05 inches thick.

Which is what I actually said. Though Apple actually claim 1.0.

However, the blinkers are back up. Even in the same post the IBM X60 and T60 figures I quoted got missed. And moving the goalposts by saying it's a notebook not a laptop is irrelevant. They both have 1.83Ghz Core Duo processors. Cramming a Core Duo into something smaller than the MacBook Pro doesn't count? huh? That's surely even more impressive. The X60 is a great laptop (sorry, notebook), like the T41 before it. Core Duos in something smaller and thinner than the 12.1 Powerbook - that's impressive.

The point of this wasn't to compare one laptop to another. I'll repeat - I'M NOT COMPARING. Kim just said there wasn't anything thinner than the MacBook Pro with a Core Duo in. That's patently wrong - there's three models I've quoted which are thinner and/or smaller even.

Anyway, I'm arguing with melgross again, which is a fruitless exercise as you're never ever wrong and no-one else is ever allowed to be right and you'll move the goal posts continually till we give up. \
  • Reply 122 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

I understand. You have small hands. You know what they say about guys with small hands...

We're less likely to hit the wrong button and blow up the planet?

Or is that just Americans?
  • Reply 123 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

As I said, 0.9" is thinner than 1.0".

But 1.3" is thicker than 1.0".
  • Reply 124 of 155
    Quote:

However, the blinkers are back up. Even in the same post the IBM X60 and T60 figures I quoted got missed. And moving the goalposts by saying it's a notebook not a laptop is irrelevant. They both have 1.83Ghz Core Duo processors. Cramming a Core Duo into something smaller than the MacBook Pro doesn't count? huh? That's surely even more impressive. The X60 is a great laptop (sorry, notebook), like the T41 before it. Core Duos in something smaller and thinner than the 12.1 Powerbook - that's impressive.

The point of this wasn't to compare one laptop to another. I'll repeat - I'M NOT COMPARING. Kim just said there wasn't anything thinner than the MacBook Pro with a Core Duo in. That's patently wrong - there's three models I've quoted which are thinner and/or smaller even.

Anyway, I'm arguing with melgross again, which is a fruitless exercise as you're never ever wrong and no-one else is ever allowed to be right and you'll move the goal posts continually till we give up. \

I don't believe the 0.8" Lenovo ThinkPad is available above 1.83GHz...sorry.

Quit fuckin' around and show us a 2.1GHz computer that is thinner than Apple's. And one that doesn't have a variable height door stop wedge shaped body. Else stfu.
  • Reply 125 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I don't believe the 0.8" Lenovo ThinkPad is available above 1.83GHz...sorry.

Quit fuckin' around and show us a 2.1GHz computer that is thinner than Apple's. And one that doesn't have a variable height door stop wedge shaped body. Else STFU.

Another goal post moved eh.
  • Reply 126 of 155
    Quote:

Another goal post moved eh.

Yeah you gotta stop movin' them. Like I said, stfu if you can't compare apple to apples and oranges to oranges.

You're the one that is using dubious methods to prove that Acer had a thinner laptop.

And you're the one that was complaining about Apple's computers having lower clock rates. I'm the one handing your ass by showing you that Apple managed to cram a 2.1GHz Core Duo in a 1" thin enclosure and nobody else can.
  • Reply 127 of 155
    It is sort of amusing to see the complaints about Apple updating their product too quickly.

"Apple...damned if we, damned if we don't."

• Reply 128 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

It is sort of amusing to see the complaints about Apple updating their product too quickly.

"Apple...damned if we, damned if we don't."

Stupid crappy Yonah powered MBP's, where are our Merom ones
  • Reply 129 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Money was not an issue, and I wanted the top-end model to ensure it lasted as long as possible

Please explain to me how a 2.0 GHz CoreDuo's lifesapn will be less than the 1.8 GHz CoreDuo you had ordered.
  • Reply 130 of 155
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I think Apple geeks everywhere will have to adjust to the fact that they will longer have the top of the line laptop for more than one day. No more 12 month of struting around knowing you have the top of the line.

Processor speeds will get bumped when Intel releases them. No longer will it be a big to-do about faster chips every 6-12-18 months.

With Intel delivering improvements on a weekly-monthly basis, it really plays havoc on Apple Guy's perception since it was skewed with slow update cycles.

Bottom line: In today's Apple world, buying a 2 GHz MBP will mean the computer is the latest and greatest for today only. You will have to adjust and realize that processor speeds aren't everything because they only last for the now (and it will be short times from here on out).

Welcome to Intel and welcome to the new and improved Kool-Aid stand...
  • Reply 131 of 155
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

That's funny. Perhaps Apple should rename it the MacTop Pro.

Which is what I actually said. Though Apple actually claim 1.0.

If you don't keep making incorrect statements, then you wouldn't have to.

You seem to be alone in this. And I don't notice you ever giving up a point. You are as stubborn as anyone here?and that includes me!
  • Reply 132 of 155
    If it was such a huge redundancy/life issue no-one would buy any yonah MBP with the superior merom 6-8 months away. As it stands now with the rejigg = more for less = YAY.

In 3 months time the 1.8ghz will be 2ghz, the 2ghz will be 2.16ghz with the optional upgrade to 2.33ghz.
  • Reply 133 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

Bottom line: In today's Apple world, buying a 2 GHz MBP will mean the computer is the latest and greatest for today only. You will have to adjust and realize that processor speeds aren't everything because they only last for the now (and it will be short times from here on out).

No, the real bottom line is this:

Every 3 months we'll have to read a thread entitled 'I AM INFURIATED'. It will probably be started by one of two people.
  • Reply 134 of 155
    Quote:

oh shit... I almost forgot...find me a computer that isn't thicker than the MacBook Pro.

Quote:

Yeah but where is that magical computer that isn't thicker than the MacBook Pro?

Quote:

Quit fuckin' around and show us a 2.1GHz computer that is thinner than Apple's. And one that doesn't have a variable height door stop wedge shaped body. Else stfu.

The implication that you are moving the goalposts is definitely not unfounded. 3.5 pages in and you start mentioning processor speed.

What's next? What if someone finds a 2.16 GHz Core Duo laptop thinner than the MacBook. Will you ask them to find another aluminum-clad laptop that's thinner than the MacBook? One that runs OSX? One that has a magnetic power cord? One that ships from Cupertino?

Give it up now. You were handed your ass when he produced the Lenovo T60.
  • Reply 135 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

The implication that you are moving the goalposts is definitely not unfounded. 3.5 pages in and you start mentioning processor speed.

What's next? What if someone finds a 2.16 GHz Core Duo laptop thinner than the MacBook. Will you ask them to find another aluminum-clad laptop that's thinner than the MacBook? One that runs OSX? One that has a magnetic power cord? One that ships from Cupertino?

Give it up now. You were handed your ass when he produced the Lenovo T60.

Come on now...just because I didn't specifically mention that it had to have equal processors it doesn't mean it wasn't implied.

Else you could include any fucking processor you want and include subnotebooks in the comparison. The ThinkPad X32 is 33 millimeters thin...do you want a cookie? You just found a ridiculously thin laptop. Of course, it's got an old Pentium M 745 in it.

Someone that is moving goalposts is someone that is claiming that the Acer laptop is thinner because the thinnest part of the laptop is 0.9 inche while the other end is 1.3".

If you give up on logic then, yeah, you can make bogus claims like the Acer is thinner and the X60 is thinner even though it has a mid-to-bottom-end Core Duo or that the X32 is thinner even though it doesn't even have a Core Duo.

Like I said, Apple to Apple comparison is implied. The context of the discussion made that some things were implied. If you or aegisdesign couldn't see that, then you don't even belong in this conversion.

Ok, here goes again: can someone find a laptop with the same top-end processor as the MacBook Pro (CORE DUO 2.16GHz) that is thinner or equal thickness as the MacBook Pro? Excluded from the comparison is any additional feature or price.

Did I miss something? Personal attack deleted - JL

BTW, the T60 is > 1"...I think you meant X60.
  • Reply 136 of 155
    Quote:

If you give up on logic then, yeah, you can make bogus claims like the Acer is thinner and the X60 is thinner even though it has a mid-to-bottom-end Core Duo or that the X32 is thinner even though it doesn't even have a Core Duo.

Sony, not Acer. Never mentioned the X32. And since when is a 1.83Ghz Core Duo mid to bottom end? Up until a few days ago that was the top end for the MacBook Pro.

Quote:

Ok, here goes again: can someone find a laptop with the same top-end processor as the MacBook Pro (CORE DUO 2.16GHz) that is thinner or equal thickness as the MacBook Pro?

ok, with the goalposts moved again, I'll admit defeat, the thinnest I could find was .2 of an inch thicker with a 2.16Ghz chip

Do you think perhaps IBM or the other manufacturers won't follow suit though?

btw. the T60 is 1.0 inches thick.

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/st...catalogId=-840

It's quite hilarious that when you do a search for 'core duo inch' you get pages and pages of Apple results. Are Apple users that bothered about the size of their laptops?
  • Reply 137 of 155
    Size matters
  • Reply 138 of 155
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Size matters

Not to Kim, it's thickness and how hot it gets.
  • Reply 139 of 155
    Quote:

BTW, the T60 is > 1"...I think you meant X60. Or did you have no clue what you were saying?

No, it's not. Just give it up. Now.
  • Reply 140 of 155
    Quote:

there's three models I've quoted which are thinner and/or smaller even.

TWO. You've quoted two which are thinner, the first you listed was thicker.

Or do you still have the blinders on?