Vista Experience: ha ha ha ha ha

Comments

• Reply 121 of 169
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I've always found the Windows look to clunky and ugly.

Yeah, so? The point is: you can change the look of Windows rather easily, just like with MacOS (it's actually even easier on Windows, since all you need is a patch that is free and widely used and you can use any theme without paying for software or anything. It's built-in).

WindowBlinds, StyleXP - there are apps out there that can change the entire look of the OS. I was actually using KoL's Vista theme a while back when I was running some software on XP, and it mimics actual Vista so well (with the transparencies and all that), that Microsoft sent a cease & desist letter to the guy.

Windows' looks are the least of problems that can hamper one's need to run Windows. Especially since they can, and will be, changed, by Microsoft and by the end user him/herself. There are other, functionality problems with WinXP, something that Vista is supposed to (and does, to some degree) change, but those are not show-stoppers.
  • Reply 122 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yeah, so? The point is: you can change the look of Windows rather easily, just like with MacOS (it's actually even easier on Windows, since all you need is a patch that is free and widely used and you can use any theme without paying for software or anything. It's built-in).

For me, the beauty of OSX is that I don't have to apply a patch or buy software to make the interface appealing to the eye.
  • Reply 123 of 169
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

For me, the beauty of OSX is that I don't have to apply a patch or buy software to make the interface appealing to the eye.

Beauty can only get you so far with an OS. There are other, more important issues to deal with. And beauty is also relative. I like Aqua, but I think Windows Classic is one of the best "themes" (it's not really a theme...) out there for usability purposes. It's fast, uninstrusive, and easy on the eyes.

Can you say the same thing about Aqua? Perhaps. It's certainly not fast - uninstrusive? Maybe. I dislike all the colors it throws at me, but that's me. Easy on the eyes? Not really, but not as bad as Luna. It's all relative.
  • Reply 124 of 169
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Kick:

Quote:

groverat: MCE has *one* distinguishing feature over FrontRow: DVR.

That's like saying the new GTO has *one* distinguishing feature over a go-kart: ~395 more horsepower.

Quote:

Of all the DVR owners I know, none use MCE. Tivo, yes. Cable company boxes, yes. Linux + MythTV, many. MCE? Not a one. And honestly, compared to the number of TV viewers I know, the DVR owners are miniscule.

Anecdotal evidence is the best evidence.

Quote:

I'd love to have a Mac DVR now... but I also am unsure that it would make good business sense over the next couple of years.

How hard is it to program DVR functionality into Front Row? Do you really think that's a huge investment?

TenoBell:

Quote:

Alright let say this. Since we don't know how much it cost MS to develop MCE. Lets say selling 6.5 million copies they have recouped their initial investment. For a company as large as MS to really have a hit they need to sell in extremely large volume as in the hundreds of millions. 6.5 million will not have much positive impact on their bottom line or on their stock price.

So?

Quote:

No MCE is an XP version. Hundreds of millions of copies of XP have been sold without MCE.

MCE is an application built into WindowsXP. XP has been very profitable. It hurts nothing to have MCE in there.

That's the point. There is zero harm in having MCE. You get nothing but benefit from it. If it wasn't worth it, why has Microsoft worked so hard to make it a key part of Vista?

Quote:

No MCE is an XP version. Hundreds of millions of copies of XP have been sold without MCE.

The only argument I have made is that MCE hasn't been a massive failure and money pit. You've adjusted your initial arguments and are slowly coming towards reality.

Quote:

Lowering the choice even further MS will now bundle MCE right into Vista. Hoping consumers will discover this new functionality and begin using it.

Lowering the choice? What the hell does that phrase even mean?

Microsoft made the very smart choice of making MCE a part of Windows, increasing its exposure and, possibly, its use.

What exactly is the problem here?

I swear to god, Apple fanboys get pissed over nothing if the name "Microsoft" comes up.

Quote:

He may have been exaggerating his point, but his story is not the only one of how difficult MCE can be to set up.

It took my mom and I 8 hours to set up our first Mac (5500/225). We reformatted the machine twice because we had no idea what we were doing and didn't read the setup manual carefully. PEBKAC

Quote:

Looking at MCE the set up process is too cumbersome and involved.

Have you ever used it?

I have.

I have never been to France but it's probably really stupid and pointless. I read an article about it once.

I cannot wait until Apple comes out with DVR and it's suddenly the most magical thing ever. So damned predictable, you Maclots.
  • Reply 125 of 169
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat That's like saying the new GTO has *one* distinguishing feature over a go-kart: ~395 more horsepower.

So educate us - what else does MCE have over the features of FrontRow?

Quote:

Anecdotal evidence is the best evidence.

So provide numbers on how successful MCE is.

Quote:

How hard is it to program DVR functionality into Front Row? Do you really think that's a huge investment?

As I've told you *numerous* times over the past few months, software is easy, hardware is the problem. Adding DVR capabilities to FrontRow makes no sense unless there's hardware, right? The hardware was, is, and will continue to be, the problem. Choosing the set of inputs that will satisfy everyone just isn't possible right now. Too much flux in the tech and the market.
  • Reply 126 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So educate us - what else does MCE have over the features of FrontRow?

You miss my point. DVR is bigger feature in itself than the entirety of Front Row.

But aside from DVR:

You can rent movies online with MCE.

You can listen to radio stations (terrestrial and satellite) with MCE.

You can access various Interenet TV "stations" with MCE.

There are a ton of plug-ins for MCE that expand its functionality. Front Row isn't even in its league, it's a different animal.

Quote:

So provide numbers on how successful MCE is.

What would be a rubric for its success?

There are no solid numbers on how many people use it and it is bundled with Windows.

Quote:

Choosing the set of inputs that will satisfy everyone just isn't possible right now. Too much flux in the tech and the market.

Firstly, CableCARD.

So until everything is perfect do nothing at all? That is absurd.

There will never be just one thing for everyone.

Specifications will always be in flux and hardware components will always change. Thank god software can be changed and that adapters between interfaces are created.

I was not aware that "oh this is slightly complicated so screw it!" was the hallmark attitude of an "innovator" like Apple.
  • Reply 127 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

You miss my point. DVR is bigger feature in itself than the entirety of Front Row.

Today, perhaps. In a couple years? I disagree. I still say an inevitable move to content-on-demand is coming, and make DVRs less and less necessary.

Quote:

But aside from DVR:

You can rent movies online with MCE.

Keen. I expect we'll see that in iTMS quite soon. Okay, I *hope* we'll see that soon.

Wait... you mean *on-demand*?

Quote:

You can listen to radio stations (terrestrial and satellite) with MCE.

Above and beyond what is accessible on the internet? Or is this just like iTunes 'Radio' section, but perhaps with a Clearcast partnership?

Quote:

You can access various Interenet TV "stations" with MCE.

But isn't this just available on the internet anyway?

Quote:

There are a ton of plug-ins for MCE that expand its functionality. Front Row isn't even in its league, it's a different animal.

Sounds interesting - what sort of plug-ins do you use?

Quote:

What would be a rubric for its success?

There are no solid numbers on how many people use it and it is bundled with Windows.

And that last part is what keeps you from saying it is a success, or anyone else from saying it isn't, without good solid *use* numbers.

Calculator is bundled with every copy of MacOS X, but it doesn't make it a 'success' by itself.

I think the paltry sales of MCE units prior to the massive OEM onslaught recently is the best indicator of use, actually. And they weren't good.

Quote:

Firstly, CableCARD.

CableCARD 1? 2? What's the new 'standard' just announced that's supposed to succeed CableCARD 2 in a couple years? It's not the panacea we all thought it would be.

Quote:

So until everything is perfect do nothing at all? That is absurd.

There will never be just one thing for everyone.

Exactly. So let everyone choose the hardware solution they need for their system. If Apple were to create a Mac with a set of DVR connectors, they'd inevitably have the wrong ones for a lot of people. So they'd have to make a number of unit styles - they can't afford to do that. There are enough PC makers in the Windows ecosystem to allow for different niche players - right now they're *all* niche players in the MCE realm, but it allows them to find subniches.

Quote:

Specifications will always be in flux and hardware components will always change. Thank god software can be changed and that adapters between interfaces are created.

Like I've been saying all along, software is easy, forcing the entire cable industry to move to a reasonable set of standards and maybe, god forbid, sticking with them for more than six months, isn't. Other people are producing products for those niches, I don't see why Apple has to as well.

Quote:

I was not aware that "oh this is slightly complicated so screw it!" was the hallmark attitude of an "innovator" like Apple.

Wading into the maelstrom that is the current video distribution market isn't good business sense. Look at today's MultiPass announcement for hints on where Apple is headed. It's not DVRs, it's video-on-demand with an ownership hook.
  • Reply 128 of 169
    Quote:

Today, perhaps. In a couple years? I disagree. I still say an inevitable move to content-on-demand is coming, and make DVRs less and less necessary.

And MCE is already there. The framework is already in place. No hoping involved, it's there.

Why doesn't Apple have it yet?

Why is it unreasonable to expect Apple to have it?

Quote:

But isn't this just available on the internet anyway?

The iPod is just an mp3 player.

It is not about providing something that does not exist in any other fashion. You know that.

Quote:

Sounds interesting - what sort of plug-ins do you use?

I don't, I have a modified XBox as my media center.

Quote:

And that last part is what keeps you from saying it is a success, or anyone else from saying it isn't, without good solid *use* numbers.

I never said MCE was a smashing success, never. Not once.

It was argued that it was a failure and I disputed that. There's a huge difference between saying, "It's not a failure" and "It has set the world on fire."

Quote:

CableCARD 1? 2? What's the new 'standard' just announced that's supposed to succeed CableCARD 2 in a couple years? It's not the panacea we all thought it would be.

It doesn't matter, if it changes just change the card (and the software. It's all PCMCIA Type 2.

Quote:

If Apple were to create a Mac with a set of DVR connectors, they'd inevitably have the wrong ones for a lot of people.

Like what? What could be the problem?

They ALREADY want you to hook the mini up to your TV. Why not add DVR? It's not like they are divorcing the TV and the Mac, they just don't have DVR.

MacMini & Frontrow @ Apple.com

Whutz that thar big black thingermajig hooked up to th' Mini what says "Sony" on it? Is 'at one a them deviltalk boxes?

And whutz thisahere marketin' gobbledegoock:

TV Star

Front Row makes it even more tempting to use a TV as your Mac mini display. It?s easy to hook them up, but because every TV is different, you may need an additional cable.

How will I ever escape from this tangle of wires!?

I like that if you click "Video" there the main thing they are proud of is the ability to watch movie trailers. Awesome!

"Hey kids, not only do you get to pay for cable but you can rebuy your shows that you could've already recorded but we think DVR is really Inelegant and our remote wouldn't be so awesome if it had Extra Buttons."

Quote:

Other people are producing products for those niches, I don't see why Apple has to as well.

Obviously they don't have to, or else they would.

You are intentionally missing the point.

Quote:

Wading into the maelstrom that is the current video distribution market isn't good business sense. Look at today's MultiPass announcement for hints on where Apple is headed. It's not DVRs, it's video-on-demand with an ownership hook.

This is amusing to me. It doesn't make good business sense... until Apple eventually does it.

MCE already has video-on-demand. It's already there. And as those capabilities expand Microsoft will already have an established and matured (and well-spread!) platform on which to put these new VOD services.

Because all home-bound copies of Windows sold from now on will likely have MCE bundled in.

But it's retarded... until Apple does it.

If Apple does it tomorrow it's smart.

If they wait 5 years that's smart, too.

The right time to jump in? When Steve says.
  • Reply 129 of 169
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

That's the point. There is zero harm in having MCE. You get nothing but benefit from it. If it wasn't worth it, why has Microsoft worked so hard to make it a key part of Vista?

The only argument I have made is that MCE hasn't been a massive failure and money pit. You've adjusted your initial arguments and are slowly coming towards reality.

I agree, Apple is way behind on DVR. I have Tivo and like most users really enjoy it. In this area MS has a HUGE advantage over Apple. Tivo is a big money loser. Apple probably fears treading into a market were they aren't sure they will make money right off the bat. MS doesn't have to worry about making money today. They're looking 5 and 10 years down the road, IMO. Very smart on their part.
  • Reply 130 of 169
    Quote:

And MCE is already there. The framework is already in place. No hoping involved, it's there.

I was talking about video on-demand, not DVR.

MCE already has on-demand CSI? How about Battlestar? ER? Not DVR'd, on-demand.

What you're describing isn't even close to what I mean.

Quote:

Why doesn't Apple have it yet?

Why is it unreasonable to expect Apple to have it?

Because it doesn't fit with their fairly obvious strategy?

Look, *as a consumer* I'd love to have a DVR in there as much as you. It peeves me that it isn't. But *as an observer*, I think that Apple has a very different plan in mind, and that DVR doesn't fit into it. I think they're going to try and replicate the iTMS impact on music distribution, but for video to the home. DVR doesn't fit in that, because once on-demand is in place, a DVR has very little utility. So why wade into a market that is a) fractured, b) coming to be dominated by the cable companies who really don't play well with others, and c) going to be more or less irrelevant anyway if they can pull it off?

Quote:

The iPod is just an mp3 player.

It is not about providing something that does not exist in any other fashion. You know that.

Well duh, but you claimed that there were three things that MCE did that FrontRow doesn't: DVR, radio station access, TV station access. The latter two are delivered over the net, right? Then, could someone with FrontRow please confirm or deny that they can or cannot access radio streams and/or television streams on the internet? I suspect they can, since iTunes can, and QuickTime Player can, and FrontRow just layers on top of them.

If so, that leaves just the DVR as the feature that MCE has that FrontRow doesn't, which was my original assertion. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Quote:

It was argued that it was a failure and I disputed that. There's a huge difference between saying, "It's not a failure" and "It has set the world on fire."

I never said you did. What I'm saying is that with such vague numbers, *no* conclusions can be drawn, just hunches. You think it's been at least moderately successful, obviously, but it's unclear at *what*. Units sold? Bundling with XP makes that a useless number. My hunch is that the number of installations of MCE being used as a DVR is miniscule compared to the number of Tivos and cable company boxes out there. 'rat, you're part of a very bleeding edge group, and not the mainstream user by any means. I mean come on, you aren't even using an MCE box, you modded an XBox. Not. Main. Stream. Not even close.

Quote:

It doesn't matter, if it changes just change the card (and the software. It's all PCMCIA Type 2.

My understanding was that the successor is *not*, and that was the problem. Damn, I wish I could remember the name. WWEC?

Quote:

Like what? What could be the problem?

They ALREADY want you to hook the mini up to your TV. Why not add DVR? It's not like they are divorcing the TV and the Mac, they just don't have DVR.

Oh c'mon - output != input, you know that. The consumer has control over the display device, but not the input device, in most cases.

I agree that the technological issues are much less than they were a year ago, or two years ago, but I still think, based solely on external speculation, that they won't bite on the DVR market. It seems they have something else in mind. (Hint: true on-demand, not just 'play video over internet')

Quote:

Obviously they don't have to, or else they would.

You are intentionally missing the point.

That makes two of us then.

Quote:

This is amusing to me. It doesn't make good business sense... until Apple eventually does it.

Never said that, please don't put words in my mouth.

Quote:

MCE already has video-on-demand. It's already there.

Really? Or is it just displaying the same content I can show in my web browser? Two very very different things, 'rat. As I said above, my suspicion is that FrontRow can show the same types of data, and that is so not what I mean by on-demand. Try Showtime-on-demand, or HBO-on-demand. How about The-Entire-WB-movie-catalog-on-demand? Or maybe Every-ESPN-Classic-game-on-demand? How about The-Discovery-Channel-Every-Series-Every-Episode-on-demand? We're not there yet. My suspicion is that Apple is going to try to push for that model. In which case a DVR doesn't make much sense.

Quote:

And as those capabilities expand Microsoft will already have an established and matured (and well-spread!) platform on which to put these new VOD services. Because all home-bound copies of Windows sold from now on will likely have MCE bundled in.

You may be right, but none of that has squat to do with the DVR, does it? And besides, now you're talking about #-of-units of Windows vs. Mac, and adding a DVR to the mini isn't going to change that situation appreciably.

Quote:

But it's retarded... until Apple does it.

If Apple does it tomorrow it's smart.

If they wait 5 years that's smart, too.

The right time to jump in? When Steve says.

Now you're just being obtuse on purpose. Stop putting words in my mouth.
  • Reply 131 of 169
    Cable TV is not going to just go away.

Computers were made to have new things plugged into them.

Microsoft already has video-on-demand in addition to DVR, so I'm curious as to what Apple is doing that makes more sense than having both functions.

Apple is doing a great job building their VoD services. I don't much like the resolution of the provided content compared to HDTV over cable (it's not even close), but it's pretty nice. I simply do not understand why anyone thinks it is going to replace cable TV.
  • Reply 132 of 169
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, it's Moderator Deathmatch!

Five million Quatloos on the newcomer!

• Reply 133 of 169
    Quote:

I said "the framework is already there". And it is. They have pretty much the entire package already there. Adding content is simple once you've got the system worked out.

You're right, it is. Assuming the content providers want to play ball with you.

Quote:

When is that?

You keep talking about this like it is right around the corner.

Sorry if you think that, I'm not. What I'm saying is that this is what I think *Apple* is thinking, that's all. And I don't think it's right around the corner, it's going to take a few years.

But then again, if you had been told three years ago that one company would be selling over 3 million legal downloads a day of music, at a buck a pop, you wouldn't have believed it, would have you? I wouldn't have. I think they're going to try and replicate that with video.

Quote:

Because it's...

(a) not nearly as fractured as you want to make it seem (b) not that difficult to get involved because the cable companies aren't anywhere near as bad as you're portraying them (notice the complete lack of specifics, only "they don't play well with others"

(c) ridiculous to assume total victory over an established model that's been around for decades

Doesn't have to be total, just significant. cf: iTMS.

Quote:

iTunes is not Front Row.

Quicktime Player is not Front Row.

We're not talking about what MacOSX can do, we're talking about Front Row versus MCE.

FrontRow leverages iTunes and QuickTime, right? iTunes and QuickTime can play streamed content, right? It is therefore reasonable to assume that FrontRow can display streamed content, right? Like I said, I want confirmation on this, but come on 'rat. Don't muddy the issue just for the sake of obfuscation.

Quote:

Not mainstream... yet.

Microsoft obviously has a plan to make this more and more accessible to grandma and grandpa, who are currently intimidated by cableco-provided DVR.

Yeah, that 43-button remote is going to help with that.

Quote:

We're talking about computers, Kick. Make a PCI expansion card. Computers were built to have new shit plugged into them.

No, we're talking about consumer electronics devices. Or were you planning on scaring off grandma and grandpa again?

Quote:

I am well aware that you think that is the direction Apple is going.

Unless this on-demand service has everything cable TV will have it will still make sense to have DVR to keep all television watching in one, unified package.

Eventually, I think it will. Heck, the cable companies are moving this direction. Networks are playing with online sales and distribution, and liking it. I don't think it'll be a long tail situation, I think it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Quote:

People are not going to want to switch from their Mac to their cable box, why do you think those big ugly stupid TV/DVD/VHS combo monstrosities sell so well?

MCE puts everything into one, easy-to-use package. The assumption that cable TV is going to simply blink out of existence is laughable.

Never said that, did I? I said that I think Apple thinks they can take a chunk out of it, and that adding DVR would dilute that strategy.

Quote:

Also, MCE already has Akimbo.

And that's in addition to the web-accessible stuff like MTV Overdrive, Game xStream, CinemaNow, Movielink.

And that's just some of it. And that's today.

So Microsoft:

DVR & Video-On-Demand

Yes, and sorta. Still not anywhere near the level I think will happen.

Quote:

Apple:

Video-On-Demand (Probably at some point in the future)

Hmm.

Look, I think you have a misconception of what I'm saying here, and why. *I* want the DVR. *I* think its a little silly not to have it. But it's entirely too lazy and easy to sit back and say "Apple sux! Where's my DVR!?" It's a lot more interesting to think about *why* they may not have done this... they're not stupid. They have a major home run with iTMS, despite everyone at the outset saying it would never fly, and was a bad idea. But Apple was right. So consider that *maybe* there's a larger reason why no DVR, and try and divine what it is? The above is just my opinion on what I think they may be planning... not what I think they should do, or whether it is the right thing *to* do. I don't agree with a lot of moves they make, but I also realize that they've been right about those moves more often than my armchair quarterbacking. So instead of just saying they're wrong, I'm trying to deduce what the &*(%$ they have up their sleeve. That's all.

I used to think it was about the hardware - now I think it's about the media distribution strategy. Much bigger pie to go for, and much more in line with what we've seen in the music side of things. Whether they can pull it off a second time... who knows.

Edit: Oh sure, edit your message while I'm responding, ya bum.
  • Reply 134 of 169
    Jesus, you jumped on it fast! I didn't wait long to edit it and simplify the whole thing.

We've been through this before and it's a billion little fractured quotes at a time. I'm usually one to enjoy that, but you're just as hard-headed, stubborn and arrogant as I am so it is more tiring than usual.

I think Apple might even see DVR as competition.

Why buy Lost when you can just record it in High Definition?
  • Reply 135 of 169
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Oooh, this is fun

A few things, Kickaha.

Firstly, I understand where you are coming from: you are trying to understand why Apple is doing what it is doing. I think you may be right about it. The only thing you haven't said is whether you think they are being realistic or not.

A question: How many U.S. households receive their T.V. over-air, via a standard T.V. aerial? What about satellite?

I find your discussion very U.S. and cable centric. What about the rest of the world market?

Quote:

Well duh, but you claimed that there were three things that MCE did that FrontRow doesn't: DVR, radio station access, TV station access.

There is one other thing: MCE is third-party extensible. I think the biggest mistake Apple has made with Front-Row is not doing the same; I hope they are working on changing this. Yes, you can buy something like the Miglia TVmini or EyeTV or whatever, but you can't use Front Row as an interface, and that is a shame.

Quote:

Try Showtime-on-demand, or HBO-on-demand. How about The-Entire-WB-movie-catalog-on-demand? Or maybe Every-ESPN-Classic-game-on-demand? How about The-Discovery-Channel-Every-Series-Every-Episode-on-demand? We're not there yet. My suspicion is that Apple is going to try to push for that model. In which case a DVR doesn't make much sense.

This quote exemplifies that you appreciate the scale of VoD. Do you really think that Apple is being realistic if it thinks it can compete with conventional T.V. within just a few years? What about the required bandwidth, both at Apple's end, and at the customer's end? If Apple think they can use iTunes to compete with T.V. on a global scale, I think they are being crazily over-optimistic.
  • Reply 136 of 169
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Not so much adjust but clarify. Microsoft is a huge publicly traded company. Its products must sell in huge volume to keep the stock healthy. I see no evidence that MCE has been a profitable product or added confidence for Microsoft on WallStreet.

Quote:

I am saying the original MCE business plan was a failure. Microsoft offering MCE to consumers as a choice was a failure.

The only way to ship MCE in large volume is to no longer offer it as a choice but to package it with most shipping Windows machines.

Quote:

Lowering the choice? What the hell does that phrase even mean

I don?t mean lower choice in a pejorative sense.

I am saying most consumers did not actively choose to buy MCE. The only way MS can sell MCE in volume is to take away the choice to buy MCE.

Quote:

I swear to god, Apple fanboys get pissed over nothing if the name "Microsoft" comes up.

Now you resort to calling me an Apple fanboy. I haven?t said anything pro Apple or against Microsoft.

My point is that its no mystery why Apple doesn?t get into DVR.

EDIT:

Quote:

It took my mom and I 8 hours to set up our first Mac (5500/225). We reformatted the machine twice because we had no idea what we were doing and didn't read the setup manual carefully.

You do realize you are comparing an Apple computer 10 years ago to Microsofts latest software.
  • Reply 137 of 169
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

A question: How many U.S. households receive their T.V. over-air, via a standard T.V. aerial? What about satellite?

I find your discussion very U.S. and cable centric. What about the rest of the world market?

I couldn't find a direct statisitc about cabel televison in the US. But last I saw about half the US televisions are on cable.

I agree with Kickaha that cable providers will dominate DVR and Video On Demand.

I don't know how it works in the rest of the world. But I can't imagine it being much different.

Quote:

There is one other thing: MCE is third-party extensible. I think the biggest mistake Apple has made with Front-Row is not doing the same;

At least in the beginning it seems Apple did not want to make Front Row too complicated. I'm sure at this point they just want to get the first version out there and fix any performance and stability bugs.

There is no way to accurately tell what direction Apple wants to take Front Row but without a doubt it should see more features in the future.

Quote:

Do you really think that Apple is being realistic if it thinks it can compete with conventional T.V. within just a few years? What about the required bandwidth, both at Apple's end, and at the customer's end? If Apple think they can use iTunes to compete with T.V. on a global scale, I think they are being crazily over-optimistic.

We are only working with the information we know. Its possible Apple knows some things we don't.
  • Reply 138 of 169
    Quote:

[B]Jesus, you jumped on it fast! I didn't wait long to edit it and simplify the whole thing.

We've been through this before and it's a billion little fractured quotes at a time. I'm usually one to enjoy that, but you're just as hard-headed, stubborn and arrogant as I am so it is more tiring than usual.

I luvs ya, 'rat.

I was getting worn out too... we're getting old.

Quote:

I think Apple might even see DVR as competition.

Why buy Lost when you can just record it in High Definition?

Yeah, exactly.

I look at it this way... DVR supports the traditional network model of them broadcasting on their schedule, with ads. I think Apple is going to try and break that, or help break it, by offering the networks something viable but alternate. Kind of like they did with iTMS and the labels. *shrug* Just a thought.
  • Reply 139 of 169
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

[B]Oooh, this is fun

A few things, Kickaha.

Firstly, I understand where you are coming from: you are trying to understand why Apple is doing what it is doing. I think you may be right about it. The only thing you haven't said is whether you think they are being realistic or not.

Oh hell, I have no idea.

Quote:

A goodly number, still. But many of them have access to broadband via DSL.

Quote:

Eh, screw 'em.

Seriously, I have no idea, and that's one of the reasons that I think the DVR market is headed for the dustbin - the US TV broadcast market, hardware, etc, is very different from the European one. *BUT*... if it's in H.264, it works everywhere. Globally, a VOD system with some basic codec standardization is the way to go, eventually.

Quote:

There is one other thing: MCE is third-party extensible. I think the biggest mistake Apple has made with Front-Row is not doing the same; I hope they are working on changing this. Yes, you can buy something like the Miglia TVmini or EyeTV or whatever, but you can't use Front Row as an interface, and that is a shame.

Wholeheartedly agree, and I hope this changes soon.

Quote:

This quote exemplifies that you appreciate the scale of VoD. Do you really think that Apple is being realistic if it thinks it can compete with conventional T.V. within just a few years? What about the required bandwidth, both at Apple's end, and at the customer's end? If Apple think they can use iTunes to compete with T.V. on a global scale, I think they are being crazily over-optimistic.

True, but these are the same arguments against the iTMS when it started up. Obviously, that was a *complete* failure.

I think that if Apple can continue to get the *networks* on board, bypassing the cable companies, they might have a shot. Selling episodes is a start, IMO. Once they have a good base for that, they may very well start allowing content *producers* to play as well, like they did with the indie labels and individual musicians on iTMS. Then the creators don't even have to pitch to networks to get slots, they can just produce and sell. Interesting idea, no?

Anyway, all just speculation. Hell, they may come out with a DVR next week, I have no idea.
  • Reply 140 of 169
    I had a few comments about stuff on page 1 and 2 before this thread went into an MCE arguement.

First of all to address the comments about the slow release cycle of Windows. Some of you apparently have no idea how Corporate or Educational places do IT upgrades. I work at a major university (45,000+ students) and it takes anywhere from a year from the first proposal to upgrade something. We run most of our labs on Windows 2000 and they are only upgrade to XP in a few months from now. Many companies still run on Windows 2000 and still haven't upgraded to XP yet. If MS had a release schedual like Apples most people would be using OSX 10.2 becuase IT does not upgrade their OS's every 12 to 18 months, it's too expensive and too much work.

Secondly in terms of a rewrite. While Apple has no problems ditching an old OS to do a complete rewrite Apple doesn't have a large userbase. It is simplely not an option to break so many applications just for a rewrite, it would be hell again for the Corporate and Edu sectors. People would simply not buy it, they aren't locked in becuase they have choice of hardware unlike Apple users.

You guys need to think of these things from a business stand point. MS like most software companies (outside of the gaming industry) make the majority of their money from Business and Education sectors. Please have some sense when suggestions on rewrites and upgrade cycles.