Winner announced in Windows XP on Intel Mac contest

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Originally posted by minderbinder

Sorry, I misread your post. After the multitude of "but why would I want to..." posts I've seen I tend to ignore everything else after that.

It's alright, sorry I got snippy about it.
  • Reply 62 of 112
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Graham, that's cool, it was my bad.

Quote:

Originally posted by lkrupp

With this announcement why does Adobe even have to think about "getting their arse in to gear"? Just stop all development of Mac products right now and tell people to run Windows on their Macs. Ever think think about that, tommy74? Hmmmm?

You think they're going to tell customers they have to spend $300 extra and reboot their machines every time they want to run photoshop? Why aren't they just doing that today, just tell users to get a PC and get rid of their mac?

Sure, that's a great idea if Adobe wants to lose all their mac customers to another company that IS willing to ship a mac version. Adobe can do whatever they want, but mac users will punish them for it.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by noah93

Does anyone know if this will work on the Mac mini?

Yes, it works on the mini. Its almost the simplest machine since it uses built-in graphics.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

What's your source on that? Sounds like it may just be speculation.

Regardless of whether VPC comes out, there will probably be other solutions that allow running windows apps without a reboot (wine, Q, etc).

PCI-Express doesn't support virtualisation, as such only one OS can have control at any one time so if you attempt to run an OS in an OS like VPC does then OS X gets the video card. Middle of next year there is meant to be support for virtualised PCI-Express as part of Intel's continuing push in the server space but it isn't here yet.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    dexterdexter Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dean812

I just dont understand why any Mac user would want to boot Windows to begin with!! I mean arent we all Mac users because we dont like the way Windows runs? I know for me, Windows became increasingly frustrating and laborious. Macs run so much smoother and more sisinctly. Not to mention the entire OS is soooo much more stable.

I guess I just dont get the whole interest in the ability to boot Windows.

I have a reason to want this: CADD. The best solution I've seen (for me, at least) is called Concepts Unlimited (www.csi-concepts.com), but as of yet it can't touch SolidWorks. You know, limit my frustrations with Windows...

Industrial Designers, like me, who like to use their Mac for design work (other than CADD) typically need a PC handy to do the other work. Most just use a PC. VPC is too choppy to be usable (again, a subjective opinion).

Still looking forward to seeing a VM solution, but this would work for now!
  • Reply 66 of 112
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by auxio

To all the people who are complaining that VMWare hasn't been ported to Mac, and Virtual PC doesn't run on Intel Macs, have you tried this out?

http://openosx.com/wintel/

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising, and it reportedly runs well on Intel Macs.

Probably not a solution for gamers I realize, but for all the people who've used Virtual PC, it looks like an option.

1. WinTel is just a front-end for QEMU - you could just download one of the freeware front-ends like Q and use that. In fact, this would be preferable over using WinTel, since they are a bunch of con artists and their software is buggy crap (especially recently, when they used to use the unusably slow Bochs and market it as a legitimate alternative to VPC).

2. Even with QEMU, you're still running an emulator, not a virtual machine. This means performance is going to be far, far slower than it would be with a virtual machine.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I guess I'm being a bit pessimistic with regard to the crack team getting the video driver side happening. with the GMA950 that should be much closer to getting it sorted out for Windows-on-Mac to access. The biggie is 3D stuff happening on the x1600. a decent card, capable of running some nice decent 3d games.

Apple should covertly (anonymous donor) fund development of the 3d graphics driver for the Windows-dual-boot-on-x1600-Macs. If accomplished, it would really really boost sales IMHO.
  • Reply 68 of 112
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CharlesS

2. Even with QEMU, you're still running an emulator, not a virtual machine. This means performance is going to be far, far slower than it would be with a virtual machine.

The Q ppl claim to be working on virtualization. When that is done, you can expect pretty much everything other than apps that make heavy use of the video card (i.e., games) to run at near native speeds. For most people, it will be a much, much better solution than dual-boot. But gamers will still need dual-boot (with working video card support).
  • Reply 69 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,576member
    Quote:

To all the people who are complaining that VMWare hasn't been ported to Mac, and Virtual PC doesn't run on Intel Macs, have you tried this out?

I haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising, and it reportedly runs well on Intel Macs.

Probably not a solution for gamers I realize, but for all the people who've used Virtual PC, it looks like an option.

It's very bad. Takes FOREVER (or it just seems to) to install XP, and when it's done...
  • Reply 70 of 112
    Quote:

If that turns out to be true, there's still the possibility of running something like WINE that runs windows apps without actually having to run the windows OS.

Sure. But that doesn't seem to be a very popular idea here. And, it only runs SOME apps.

http://darwine.opendarwin.org//
  • Reply 71 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fuck Windows!!
  • Reply 72 of 112
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Fuck Windows!!

(5, Insightful)
  • Reply 73 of 112
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by Ireland

Fuck Windows!!

• Reply 74 of 112
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Still waiting...

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not provide information in advance of an official press release. My only suggestion is to stay tuned to our website for further details.

Kind Regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

VMware Sales Operations

• Reply 75 of 112
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

I believe the thought was a few months ago that the software was horse $h!t. Maybe that has changed. After using my mini Core duo for a few days now, I am about half willing to fork over the $$ to try it. This mini is freaky fast compared to my 1.8 GHz iMac. When Office and Adobe get with it on the UB's, my hardcore windows neighbor may switch.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Does anyone know if narf2006's modifications to the WinXP boot disc are legal? I can just see the guys in Redmond slapping down a huge lawsuit against these guys. Maybe that's why they want to remain anonymous. Personally I think a dualboot iMac is great. I just don't want these clever guys to get hung up in a lawsuit.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I would imagine since they are changing the bootloader to get XP to install & run, it could be a violation of the XP EULA, since part of the EULA prevents reverse engineering of any of XP. Whether MS does anything about it is another matter.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    There is no way this whole thing is not in violation of XP's EULA.

That said, Microsoft doesn't make the law, so it is certainly not illegal.
  • Reply 79 of 112
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Since this requires legitimate XP discs (or at least doesn't require pirated discs like OSX86 does), Redmond shouldn't care.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Since this requires legitimate XP discs (or at least doesn't require pirated discs like OSX86 does), Redmond shouldn't care.

MS licenses Vindows for just one machine. After installing, it either calls home to register, or you have to do it manually.

The question is whether this was a new purchase, or one that was already installed somewhere else.

You are allowed to reverse engineer a product to get it to work with something else, but you are not allowed to install it on two machines.

It's tough to know what MS would say if this was a new purchase.