Avie Tevanian plans to depart from Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Avie Tevanian to leave Apple, S.F. Chronicle reports

March 27, 2006 - Apple's software engineering chief of nearly a decade, Avadis "Avie" Tevanian, Jr., will leave the company at the end of March, the San Francisco Chronicle reported tonight on a blog on its Web site.

advertisement

Apple confirmed Tevanian's departure today, according to a post by Chronicle reporter Alan T. Saracevic on the newspaper's technology blog, The Tech Chronicles.

It is not immediately clear why Tevanian is departing. According to Apple, he will leave to "pursue other interests" the Chronicle said.

"He plans to take some time off in the interim," Vice President of Worldwide Corporate Communications Katie Cotton told the newspaper in an email. "He hasn't left yet, though. His last official day is March 31."

Tevanian came to Apple as senior vice president of Software Engineering in February 1997 after the company acquired NeXT. He was named chief software technology officer in 2003.

A Carnegie Mellon University Ph.D, Tevanian had a key role in developing the Mach kernel and then the NeXTSTEP operating system. At Apple, he was instrumental in the development of Mac OS X at Apple.

[Special notice to readers: Due to technical difficulties, any email that was sent to Think Secret on Monday, March 27 will need to be resent.]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    First things first... please don't cut and paste from other sites... and please don't just copy content without adding anything of import of your own. The first is rude, the second is lame.

That being said...

DUDE! WTF?
  • Reply 2 of 92
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    It's about time. He probably has thought out some pretty good ideas over the years, and couldn't act on them either because he was all tied up doing stuff for Apple or because he didn't want to lose all ownership of the ideas.

From what I know, he has done nothing but good work. I'm sure he'll produce something worthwhile.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    This is major news..... Can Apple afford to lose him??
  • Reply 4 of 92
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Avadis "Avie" Tevanian, Apple Computer's Chief Technology Officer, is leaving the company to "pursue other interests," Apple confirmed to the San Francisco Chronicle on Monday.

Although the Cupertino, Calif.-based company would not reveal the motives behind Tevanian's decision, Vice President of Worldwide Corporate Communications Katie Cotton told the publication in an e-mail that, "He plans to take some time off in the interim. He hasn't left yet, though. His last official day is March 31."

Tevanian, who is considered an operating systems whiz, began his career at Carnegie Mellon University, where he was instrumental in the development of the Mach kernel. There he met Steve Jobs, who showed a divine interest in his skills and Mach.

After completing his Ph.D. program in only 4.5 years -- a very short time for the CMU Computer Science Ph.D. program -- he joined Jobs at NeXT, using his knowledge of the Mach kernel to form the foundation of the NEXTSTEP operating system (which later evolved into Mac OS X).

In 1997, he followed Jobs to Apple as part of the company's acquisition of NeXT and immediately went to work on developing Apple's Mac OS X operating system, for which he is largely considered the grandfather.

Unfortunately for Apple, Tevanian won't be the only senior executive to wave goodbye to the company at the end of the month. Jon Rubinstein, Senior Vice President iPod Division, is also slated to turn in his badge on the last day of the month.

Largely considered a genius by his colleagues, Rubinstein in his days at the company has presided over all aspects of hardware engineering, including Mac systems. He will be succeeded in his current role by Tony Fadell, who will report directly to Jobs. Unlike Tevanian, Rubinstein plans to retire.

It's unclear who will replace Tevanian as the company's chief of technology. His last contributions to the company will turn up this summer, when Apple unveils the next major release of its Mac OS X operating system in August -- Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
  • Reply 5 of 92
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

It depends. The Mach kernel was a great idea and a valid contribution to computer science, but its limitations are widely viewed as one of the reasons MacOS X does so poorly on low-level UNIX benchmarks. If this is some sort of shift of low-level OS thinking at Apple, it's possible that it could mean good things for the company in some respects.

But in general, it will definitely be a loss for Apple-- losing smart people always is. But CMU has no dearth of other new graduates to think up the next great idea.
  • Reply 6 of 92
    "His last contributions to the company will turn up this summer, when Apple unveils the next major release of its Mac OS X operating system in August -- Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard."

We have an August release date now?
  • Reply 7 of 92
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

We have an August release date now?

no, wwdc is in august. most major features will be revealed there, but the release of macos 10.5 should be at mwsf in january next year.

edit: typo
  • Reply 8 of 92
    frogggyfrogggy Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

That being said...

DUDE! WTF? [/B]

You really think so?

Interesting!
  • Reply 9 of 92
    With the problems Vista (aka Longwind) has been having I expect OSX 10.5 to come out in August. It will be followed by an advertising blitz the likes of which only the iPod has seen. Mark my words.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    - words marked -
  • Reply 11 of 92
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShadowT77

- words marked -

lol:

Nice!
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Just so I'm clearÉ

MSFT can't deliver an operating system in six years and none of the senior management fsckwits responsible have either jumped or been pushed, despite the fact that the stock price has been stagnant for the best part of five years.

Avie Tevanian's team delivers 1 major OS platform and five significant revisions, plus God only knows how many patches, and he decides to leave and commune with nature or whatever rather than stick around to earn more stock options which will undoubtedly appreciate because of Apple's continuing commercial improvement.

If that isn't an example of the cosmic joke that is the Universe, I'd like to know what isÉ
  • Reply 13 of 92
    baygbmbaygbm Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

No.

Good night sweet prince.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anaknipedro

With the problems Vista (aka Longwind) has been having I expect OSX 10.5 to come out in August. It will be followed by an advertising blitz the likes of which only the iPod has seen. Mark my words.

Oh they damn well better advertise the crap out of OS X
  • Reply 15 of 92
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    we're straying a bit from the topic at hand, but i will lend my two-and-a-half cents on the os release/announcement... i think apple needs to drop the hammer on an os as well, since the consumer-level vista won't be ready yet. personally, part of me doesn't even WANT new features... just hammer the ones from panther and tiger into shape, have it intel-ready, and iron out all kinks and quirks of the finder (discussed AT LENGTH elsewhere), and you're good to go. really, tiger is "almost there," as far as i am concerned.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mark- Card Carrying FanaticRealist

Just so I'm clearÉ

MSFT can't deliver an operating system in six years and none of the senior management fsckwits responsible have either jumped or been pushed, despite the fact that the stock price has been stagnant for the best part of five years.

Avie Tevanian's team delivers 1 major OS platform and five significant revisions, plus God only knows how many patches, and he decides to leave and commune with nature or whatever rather than stick around to earn more stock options which will undoubtedly appreciate because of Apple's continuing commercial improvement.

If that isn't an example of the cosmic joke that is the Universe, I'd like to know what isÉ

Post of the week.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Don't forget either, "pursue other interests" could just be good PR for he's being asked to leave. I doubt that's the case unless he and Steve had a serious falling out over the direction of OS X. Is it the end of an era at Apple? No doubt ... but will it cause serious problems for the OS X development team ... I doubt it. Apple will find some other bright mind capable of handling the design and implementation of OS X to replace him and life will go on for both the company and we, the loyal users.

Edison devloped the light bulb, but it was those who came after him that improved on his design and theories that gave us longer lasting, more powerful bulbs, halogen bulbs, neon lights, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Maybe his Steveness wasn't happy with the Finder.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    1) MS delaying their next OS.

2) MS emplyees complains over their bosses

3) Apple loses a major leader in their OS development team, stating he wants to pursue "other interests"

***whistles***
  • Reply 20 of 92
    First, the guy has been at this for almost 20 years.

Second, he had been removed from "day to day" management responsibility a while ago.

Third, possibly he and The Steve had differing opinions about the future.

Fourth, he's rich! He's cashed in over $100M in stock in the past 3-4 months alone. I'm thinking...I'm mid-forties (married? kids?), accomplished what I wanted to professionally, have (at least) $100M in the bank...my "other interests" would be something other than work for a while.