'iPhone' Mock-Up

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118

I did this mock-up a while ago, I'm sure some of you may have seen similar spoofs with rotary dials. This is the U2/Batphone edition, for people with very small fingers

On the serious side, the nano slider is neat!
  • Reply 42 of 118
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by webmail

yeah but it's a UI nightmare especially for selecting numbers. I could never imagine trying to drunk dial somebody... Think of how hard it would be to call somebody drunk.

I can easily call somebody drunk. They do look at me kind of strange if they haven't been drinking, though.
  • Reply 43 of 118

Frustrated with today's cell phone offerings (and namely their onscreen user interfaces) while browsing the web earlier today, I put this together. I called it the iBuzz, but iPod Phone would probably be more appropriate. I know it just looks like a long iPod with a number pad, but simplicity is key. Let me elaborate:

- Same size as the iPod Nano, possibly slightly larger scale for the sake of usability.

(I started with a Nano photo and didn't increase it's height at all - only shrinking the clickwheel slightly)

- Same screen as the iPod Nano. I don't see the necessity for having big screens on a cell phone, especially when you're not using big ambiguous icons for interface navigation.

- Total synchronization with your Address Book, iCal, iTunes, and iPhoto (exactly like how iPod does it).

- .Mac integration would deliver your mail to your phone. Getting your e-mail on the road is honestly more important than being able to reply, so I'm not concerned with the number pad not being built for typing (a la BlackBerry).

- A 'Hold' switch would be on the side or top exactly like the iPod, to keep you from dialing in your pocket.

- When the Clickwheel is active, the number pad freezes to assure you don't accidentally hit numbers with your fingers.

- The wheel would control volume while talking. No need for additional volume buttons.

- Hang-up/hold options would be presented on the screen while talking. No need for additional buttons for that.

- Voicemail could be accessed from your Main Menu (which could of course be customized just like the iPod) so no need for a button for that.

- Browse your Contacts exactly as you do on iPod, only now with the option to highlight their home/work/cell number, hit the clickwheel button and call them.

- The bottom of the phone would use the same Dock connector as iPods, so the phone would be compatible with all the the current iPod accessories (for all the same purposes).

- A camera lens on the back, as people pretty much expect it now. I'm not hung up on having a crap camera built in to my phone, but I'll admit there are times where I see something I'd just like to snap a picture of, even if it'll look like crap. And if there wasn't a built-in camera, everyone would dismiss it for that very reason.

- Included Bluetooth headset/mic

- Some amount of Flash Memory storage of 1GB or more.

And why does Apple need to do this? Because there isn't a single cell phone on the market that isn't a pain in the ass to try and use, moreso on-screen GUI than the hardware. But I think Apple's patented clickwheel is key to building a GUI interface that can be largely text-based, clean, and really reduce the number of buttons and switches found on the front and sides of every other phone.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    Do you hold the screen up to your ear?
  • Reply 45 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Do you hold the screen up to your ear?

Pretty much I had a little slit at the top and bottom for speaker and mic, but I figured Apple would find a way to add those without cutting holes in the phone, so I took them off. Ideally, you'd use the Bluetooth wireless headset as much as possible. It'd certainly be too small to rest on your shoulder.
  • Reply 46 of 118
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    I'm dragging this thread back out, because I've been thinking more about what Apple would bring to the phone market, and how they would design it. In addition to carrying all of the features of today's iPod, I present the following speculation for iPhone:

1. The iPhone will have no buttons.

I've long struggled with how Apple would incorporate the additional sixteen buttons that phones carry for the necessary number pad. I now feel that, aside from a physical Hold switch at the top, the iPhone will have no buttons at all. Instead, it will rely on the rumored touchscreen that spans the entire front of the iPod. Found in the main menu will be a "Number Pad" option which activates an on-screen number pad for dialing. Very simple, and doesn't require sixteen extra buttons that hardly get used; most people will opt to use the "Contacts" Menu option to choose who they want to call.

2. The iPhone will have video calling capabilities.

This is why Apple is putting iSights standard in all of its computers. An iPhone user would be able to call home and talk to their spouse or family via video chat. Additionally, iPhone users would be able to call other iPhone owners with video chat. This would be accomplished not by putting a camera lens on the iPhone, but rather utilizing the screen/camera combo technology that Apple pattened. What I'm talking about is that thing which incorporates the camera pixels into the display, essentially making the screen a two-way mirror. This could also act as a still camera running on a delay, which you select "Take Photo" from the menu, turn the iPod toward your subject and wait to hear the "click-click" camera sound that Photo Booth makes.

3. The iPhone will cost at least $499, unless it utilizes a 4GB Flash chip like the iPod Nano. Even then, it may cost $499.
  • Reply 47 of 118
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I thought general consensus had the camera/LCD thing pegged as the working component in the multi-touch interactive display theorem?
  • Reply 48 of 118
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is one of my favorites!

• Reply 49 of 118
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

I'm dragging this thread back out, because I've been thinking more about what Apple would bring to the phone market, and how they would design it. In addition to carrying all of the features of today's iPod, I present the following speculation for iPhone:

1. The iPhone will have no buttons.

2. The iPhone will have video calling capabilities.

3. The iPhone will cost at least $499, unless it utilizes a 4GB Flash chip like the iPod Nano. Even then, it may cost $499.

I completely agree with the no (or few) buttons bit, although I suspect that we'd only get still photos and not a video phone. That will be soon enough, but I think it is too soon. $499 is likely wishful thinking as well. I won't be surprised to see the video iPod without a phone for $499...

The problem with making a convergence device has always been that the end product is bulky and a doer-of-all and master-of-none for space reasons. If Apple is actually making the touch video screen, it would be possible to overcome the primary design problem with convergence devices. Wheel for iPoding, keyboard for text messages, "Screen" with a few buttons for taking photo's etc.

And Apple doesn't have to get into the cell phone business if they don't want to. Make it use GSM for worldwide compatibility and they are set. You supply the SIM card. This also allows them to bypass the carrier for music and video sales and such. The carriers would then just become a data pipe for the product.

A gadget like this also has amazing potential for people to develop add-on features as well. If it has Bluetooth and wifi, it could be programmed to do all kinds of cool things.

Dare I say MiniTablet?

Corey

• Reply 50 of 118
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    As far as the no buttons go, the Sony Ericsson W950 coming out soon has keys flush with the body of the phone. Not sure whether its a touch sensitive surface or clickable buttons under the casing of the phone (kind of like click wheel buttons), but there are no separate keys on the main keypad, and its a flush surface.

Link
  • Reply 51 of 118
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Cory Bauer

[B]

Frustrated with today's cell phone offerings (and namely their onscreen user interfaces) while browsing the web earlier today, I put this together. I called it the iBuzz,

Love the name: can't wait for the 1st royalty check! 8)
  • Reply 52 of 118
    Let's keep this going! Come on, show off your skills. Let's see some original iPhones.

This one looks a bit to heavy.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    fun to make moke-ups but is it likely to happen?, doesn't seem like something apple would want to get it

• Reply 54 of 118
    It's a Billion Dollar industry, that apple could easily take a bite out of. It seems inevitable to me. And don't you just know they'd come up with a something tasty!

p.s. like ya mock-up.
  • Reply 55 of 118
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I think everyone is focusing way too much on making it function like an iPod.

While I don't doubt it's going to look like one, I don't think the scroll wheel lends itself to the type of input you need for a phone.

So I'm taking my inspiration from two places. Keep in mind, this isn't the most practical thing to do from a technical sense, but I think it's a much more intuitive input and navigation system for a phone.

So here is my iPhone - brought to you by the iPod nano and.... the Mighty Mouse!

edit: btw, instead of an on/off button on the front, it'll have a slider on top just like the lock slider on the iPods. not sure about an END button yet

hmmmm
  • Reply 56 of 118
    I think you have a crystal ball, that thing is perfect!

If the user interface is practical, then they have their iPod of the phone market. Thus success

The mighty mouse scroll ball........cute
  • Reply 57 of 118
    dansgildansgil Posts: 62member
    rageous: As soon as you find a place to put the END button, it's perfect. One question, though: Is there any tactile feedback when you press the keys? Or are they touch?

EDIT: I just realized you messed up the letters on they keypad. You forgot the letter 'P'
  • Reply 58 of 118
    rageous nice mock-up, looks simply and stylish, just like an apple product should. At first i thought awesome idea using the mighty mouse wheel, but then how many time on a phone do you need to use 360 degrees?, and how does it work with a menus theres no enter bottons
  • Reply 59 of 118
    Forget about the scroll-wheel, that mock-up looks the most realistic and possible mock up that will happen. I would buy one in an instant to replace my crap V3, with the worst reception of any phone I've ever owned. I hope we all know that apple will do a phone.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fox Hound

how does it work with a menus theres no enter bottons

press the scroll ball down.