Second "Mac Pro" filing by Apple surfaces

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Offering yet another hint that it's done using the "Power" moniker in the names of its professional computer offerings, Apple Computer this week made a second trademark filing on the phrase "Mac Pro," this time in the United States.

The first filing was made with New Zealand's Intellectual Property Office, AppleInsider reported in January. At the time, speculation based purely on the filing itself suggested that Apple was considering "Mac Pro" brand as a replacement for the company's "Power Mac" desktop computer line.

In both the November 18, 2005 filing in New Zealand and the one on May 17th, 2006 with the United States Patent and Trademark office, Apple describes Mac Pro broadly as "computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; radios; cameras; video cameras; telephones; mobile telephones; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; telephones; mobile phones; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods."

The next major update to Apple's professional line of Power Mac desktop computers is expected in the second half of the year.

Development of the new Intel-based systems began last October as a combined effort between Apple's California design studios and Intel Oregon, the latter of which is reportedly developing the new logic-boards for Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    I understand that Apple wanted to get "Mac" into the name of their Macintosh computers. The move away from iBook and PowerBook made a lot of sense given this reasoning.

Now, "Power Mac" has the name "Mac", but I can see them wanting to drop "Power" too, as a way of moving away from the "PowerPC"-based machines.

"Mac mini"...well that makes sense.

But then we seem to be left with "iMac" the only remaining name from the "i" days. Though still containing "Mac" it seems oddly out of place here:

Mac mini

iMac

Mac Pro

MacBook

MacBook Pro

Then, of course, there is "XServe". But We'll let that slide because it is completely "out there".
  • Reply 2 of 52
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Mac Pro is a simple and cool enough name.

This is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    im very interested in seeing the specs/features of this MacPro...
  • Reply 4 of 52
    robin hoodrobin hood Posts: 513member
    I like it. Although, does anybody else think "XStation" would be cool?
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

There were (vague) rumors of such a product (above the "Power Mac") a while back. Nothing materialized (yet). I would have expected a "fully pimped out" Power Mac on steroids for "ultra professionals"...a workstation (a somewhat anachronistic term in this day and age).
  • Reply 6 of 52
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Mac Wii
  • Reply 7 of 52
    what happened to "macintosh"
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Powerbook -> MacBook Pro

iBook -> MacBook

Mac Mini -> Mac Mini

Powermac -> Mac Pro

iMac -> Mac?

iPod -> MacPod??

iLife -> MacLife???

iTunes -> MacTunes????

Egads.

Steve Jobs -> New MacDonald?
  • Reply 9 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple describes Mac Pro broadly as: "computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; radios; cameras; video cameras; telephones; mobile telephones; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; telephones; mobile phones; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods."

"tablet computers(MacTabet), speakers for computers(is Apple going to do more external speakers), mobile telephones(iPhone), personal digital assistants(Mac PDA)" A few items of interest there
  • Reply 10 of 52
    nvrsaynvrnvrsaynvr Posts: 64member
    hmmmm.....
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Apple describes Mac Pro broadly as: "computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; notebook computers; laptop computers; tablet computers; computer servers; handheld computers; mobile computers; hard drives; audio speakers; speakers for computers; radios; cameras; video cameras; telephones; mobile telephones; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers; electronic notepads; magnetic data carriers; telephones; mobile phones; computer gaming machines; microprocessors; memories boards; monitors; displays; keyboards; computer input devices; computer cables; modems; printers; parts and accessories for all the aforesaid goods."

"tablet computers(MacTabet), speakers for computers(is Apple going to do more external speakers), mobile telephones(iPhone), personal digital assistants(Mac PDA)" A few items of interest there

SOP for a trademark filing. Cast the widest reasonable net possible.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NVRsayNVR

hmmmm.....

NVRsayNVR
  • Reply 13 of 52
    nvrsaynvrnvrsaynvr Posts: 64member
    Quote:

NVRsayNVR

Agreed. Cover it all with one broad stroke of the pen (filing) and drop it like it's hot when there ready to roll out! Just don't take so damn long Apple!

"Think Alike... BE Different!"
  • Reply 14 of 52
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It should be no surprise that the Power Mac will become the Mac Pro.

Hopefully we will see a smaller desktop machine simply called the Mac.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Mac Wii

I like it! ...or how about "Pippin" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin
  • Reply 16 of 52
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Honestly, I think this is getting out of hand.

Mac Book, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro

All those names are very very similar. How can an uneducated person make the distinctions easily? The names are starting to merge together. The only one that is distinct is the iMac.

I think apple needs a different name than Mac Pro.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

Station!

...because my karma here seems horrible anyway...
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

How can an uneducated person make the distinctions easily?

Become educated?
  • Reply 19 of 52
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I thought Mac Pro was simple, but I think I would prefer to see the Macintosh name resurrected for their best computer. I like Macintosh Pro, or Pro Macintosh rather than Mac Pro. It's not very distinguishing.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

MacTablet... or...or... Macblet!!!