The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 521 of 946
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

My point is (or was) that even at 4%, Apple is still a top 5 computer company

Market share world wide Q1 2006 (IDC)

18.1 Dell

16.4 HP

6.4 Lenovo

5.5 Acer

4.5 FujitsuSiemens

2.3 Apple

Apple is far from being a top 5 computer company!
  • Reply 522 of 946
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

Market share world wide Q1 2006 (IDC)

18.1 Dell

16.4 HP

6.4 Lenovo

5.5 Acer

4.5 FujitsuSiemens

2.3 Apple

Apple is far from being a top 5 computer company!

2.3 is not an acurate model. Apple gets a lot of its sales from educational institutions outside of it's Q1. And if it's of interest, Apple's laptop marketshare is much higher.
  • Reply 523 of 946
    cesrivascesrivas Posts: 10member
    ... I'm just waiting for WWDC to see the next gen of PowerMacs or whatever they are called...

I wish for:

+ Core2 Duo Extreme CPUs

+ Quad Cores & Multi-GPU in the top of the line PowerMac

+ More Quadro Cards options/ More Fire GL Card Options. Just leave workstation class GPUs.

+ A bay for a Hot Swappable Drive.

... let's wait for WWDC and see
  • Reply 524 of 946
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Market share world wide 2005 (IDC) laptops only:

17.0 Dell

15.5 HP

10.8 Toshiba

10.0 Acer

8.1 Lenovo

3.3 Apple

In 2004 Apple had a market share of 3.7%.

Apples sales grew 28% but the whole laptop market grew 44%.
  • Reply 525 of 946
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

This is the safe bet. WWDC at the latest, but I think it's more probable that it will be at WWDC.

Yeah, I think it'll be at WWDC, not WWDC.
  • Reply 526 of 946
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Yeah, I think it'll be at WWDC, not WWDC.

Apple will never release anything at WWDC. They will, however, release something at WWDC.
  • Reply 527 of 946
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Woodcrest is going to ship roughly June 26th Conroe July 23rd.

Apple isn't going to wait until August to announce computers if they plan on having any impact at all. WWDC sounds safe but not if the parts that you are basing your new line on have been shipping for 6 weeks. It makes no sense to wait. Apple will typically announce product they can ship within 30 days. Thus they could even announce the new machines in early June and gauge demand.
  • Reply 528 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Apple will never release anything at WWDC. They will, however, release something at WWDC.

Eh, I think that WWDC is the more likely candidate. But Woodcrest has problems ramping up, they could fall back to WWDC.
  • Reply 529 of 946
    The current enclosures are doubtlessly what they're going to use, perhaps with minor changes.

I'd personally think that changing the pattern of the front grille holes from square to a hexagonal pattern would be a nice touch.
  • Reply 530 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Eh, I think that WWDC is the more likely candidate. But Woodcrest has problems ramping up, they could fall back to WWDC.

Where, or why are we using the old date on woodcrest again, and what sudden problems are they having? Wasn't it recently announced that woodcrest was shipping earlier than expected on June 19th because they were doing so well?
  • Reply 531 of 946
    Quote:

Where, or why are we using the old date on woodcrest again, and what sudden problems are they having? Wasn't it recently announced that woodcrest was shipping earlier than expected on June 19th because they were doing so well?

You are correct. As far as everyone knows, right now, Woodcrest will be announced June 19th, and will ship June 25th. One poster was suggesting that Apple could delay announcing the Mac Pro for fear of delays with Woodcrest, but there is nothing to suggest that Woodcrest will be delayed.
  • Reply 532 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Can you back this claim up?

This is something that was pretty well reported upon at the time. IBM was late with the chips (surprise!). Apple had already discontinued the lamp G4 iMac, and had cleared the channel. There was nothing to sell until, finally, in early September, they airlifted a few thousand in to make the September delivery date that they announced sometime after the show.
  • Reply 533 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacSuperiority

Aluminum can most definitely be anodized black as well as almost any other color except white. Its expensive though.

That's right! Pretty much any color. I've even seen some attempts at white. It have some Titanium Dioxide that I'd like to try, but its very expensive, and I haven't worked up the nerve.
  • Reply 534 of 946
    Quote:

You are correct. As far as everyone knows, right now, Woodcrest will be announced June 19th, and will ship June 25th. One poster was suggesting that Apple could delay announcing the Mac Pro for fear of delays with Woodcrest, but there is nothing to suggest that Woodcrest will be delayed.

I am on Bullshit patrol.

Being that Taiwan is only 15 hours ahead of me I would say that story from Tiwan is bullshit. Probably the writer making it up (Ryan Meader gets job with the register). Before they make things up maybe they should check the days they fall on. Announce it on a Monday, and ship it on a Sunday. They don't even check to cover their own mistakes? You can't ship anything on a Sunday. Monday is a better day to ship anything. If that Taiwanese makers story is where the original moved up woodcrest date is from I would revert all the way back to the original shipping date on woodcrest because it looks like total BS to me.
  • Reply 535 of 946
    Wow, didn't even notice that. I just read the article. I didn't even realize that June 25 was a Sunday. Next time, I'll make sure to go to Dashboard to check that stuff. But the point remains, there is nothing to suggest that Woodcrest isn't launching mid to late June (regardless of which actual week)
  • Reply 536 of 946
    Quote:

Wow, didn't even notice that. I just read the article. I didn't even realize that June 25 was a Sunday. Next time, I'll make sure to go to Dashboard to check that stuff. But the point remains, there is nothing to suggest that Woodcrest isn't launching mid to late June (regardless of which actual week)

Intel said it was shipping in June so that much we do know as fact.
  • Reply 537 of 946
    Quote:

We were joking about your hapless post.
  • Reply 538 of 946
    Quote:

We were joking about your hapless post.

Ahhh.. Who's we? And where are these jokes? I like Jokes.
  • Reply 539 of 946
    Quote:

Ahhh.. Who's we? And where are these jokes? I like Jokes.

Scroll up to the one where you debate whether it'll be announced at WWDC or WWDC.

Unless I misunderstood it and the joke is on me. Which is probably the case.
  • Reply 540 of 946
    Quote:

This is the safe bet. WWDC at the latest, but I think it's more probable that it will be at WWDC.

You mean from the last page?

His choice (WWDC) was the safe bet, but I said it would be at WWDC "AT THE LATEST", but "MORE LIKELY" it would be "AT WWDC". Do you get it yet?