50 cent in talks with Apple over low-cost computers

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

And that, Sir/Madam, is the explanation for those confused by 50Cent and Apple.

[/B]

Awesome sunilraman, thanks a lot! Guess I will have some interesting reading tonight (too much workload for now).
  • Reply 62 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Sorry to interrupt, but who will explain to us non-americans what's anyway this 50 Cent and why so much fuss about it?... To my eyes this name looks something like '50 cents' or '50% of something'. I just don't understand.

Part Two......................

So okay, the other day there was a thread about apple redesigning its eMac line for the education market, more specifically targeting I suppose the 6 years old to 16 years old age range.

Hence I suggested, with "bling" and "pimp" hip-hop culture being so popular among the youth of today (especially including many white young Americans) the following Mac-E: (image)

It was user SpamSandwich that said, "Well, maybe there should be a 50Cent edition", since 50Cent now, could actually be an idol, a spokesperson that young people look up to. How twisted, some would say, that this is the current generation's hero. A Gangsta Rapper.

So I did a bit of changes, and voila (image which you all are sick of by now)

The humour in all this is that how ridiculous that Apple, with it's squeaky clean image, could be involved in such an outrageously "blinged and pimped" Mac for the education market. And to top it off, endorsed by a famous Gangsta Rapper.

And then we come to the title of this thread itself, and hence the humour is multiplied many times, that this is in fact happening! 50Cent and Apple may actually work together!!

And that, Sir/Madam, is the explanation for those confused by 50Cent and Apple.

As a side note, there was an extremely hilarious commercial featuring a midget in a white suit and "blinged out" gold chains, called, 5Cent.

I think we just got promoted... 8)

Actually, if 50Cent is actually such a big Apple fan, I wouldn't put it past him that he reads AppleInsider (and he's probably a large shareholder as well).
  • Reply 63 of 132
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Gates foundation has over $39 Billion. Where are the donations to the inner cities from the soon-to-be retired Chief `Architect?'

The Foundation doesn't have anything close to that. He spends most of his money overseas. The only real charity he does here is to ensure that libraries and schools get Windows machines and software. So, I suppose he's doing this already.

Apple should be as well. They don't need rappers to do it for them.
  • Reply 64 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Sorry to interrupt, but who will explain to us non-americans what's anyway this 50 Cent and why so much fuss about it?... To my eyes this name looks something like '50 cents' or '50% of something'. I just don't understand.

Part Three

This is an alternative view below, and my explanation earlier could be considered offensive.

Originally posted by xsmi

"However, a large percentage of [inner city students] own clothes that cost more than mine, have a big screen TV and have a better cable subscription than I. There are cell phones on more hips than I care to count and an iPod in the ear of about 60-65% of the high school students I see. What I am getting at is that there is cash in the inner city....."

"I think 50 Cent, like me, is a frustrated Mac user who would like to see Macs in the hands of more people and sees this as an opportunity for market share growth. H e could give the Mac the street cred it would need to break into this market and now that Apple is using Intel chips, now is the time for that $399 (monitor and keyboard inc.) internet, email, word processing computer..."

I think that the "oppressed" is a bit overdone these days. It was so before, but things have moved forward from there. Prejudice will never disappear, but that's true everywhere.

Incidentally, the greatest rise in computer purchasing and internet usage is among Afro Americans. There was a report on that recently. All is not lost.

And I wouldn't raise the rappers to iconic status. Many of them are just what they say they are: gangsters. Many of the others are just talking the talk. I had a fair number of them as clients of my company. Their wars with society seem to be with each other, not with the "oppressive" white majority. That's a convenience.
  • Reply 65 of 132
    Quote:

I think 50 Cent, like me, is a frustrated Mac user who would like to see Macs in the hands of more people and sees this as an opportunity for market share growth. H e could give the Mac the street cred it would need to break into this market and now that Apple is using Intel chips, now is the time for that $399 (monitor and keyboard inc.) internet, email, word processing computer....Please, lay off the stereotypical labels of inner-city life and do some research before posting some of the generalizations that were posted here.

I suppose I am among those non-African Americans who were kidding around initially with the whole Fiddy thing.

But do you think for Apple's corporate image and it's educational market it would be wise to partner with 50 Cent?

It is interesting though that the iPod and iTunes music store is so wildly popular that the iPod and iTunes has it's own brand image that, well, is different than the Mac. 50 Cent is sold and featured as are a lot of other rappers, and as are a lot of other genres of music. iPod and iTunes music store has almost like the widest target market: everyone.

Whereas the Mac division, let alone the eMac or post-eMac group, have much more specific target markets, and a different image I guess... It's still weird, this divergence between the iPod and the Mac.

By the way, you forgot Snoop Doggy Dog, and other wonderful names.
  • Reply 66 of 132
    sunilraman, would it not have taken less time and indeed less bandwidth to explain that the cent character is infact just a twat?

yours to the bone, the great unwashed.
  • Reply 67 of 132
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Just how inexpensive does Mr. Cent believe Apple can produce a viable and useful computer? Technology, design and production costs $$$'s.

Fiddy is just doing what he has always done... creating the impression of an "ordinary man for the ordinary folk" while racking up quite a substantial bank balance. Smacks of another so called celebrity AKA "J-lo". Remember "...just Jenny from the block" anyone? Now that's hypocrisy.

Interesting to note that he has a "new album" out soon. <PR>
  • Reply 68 of 132
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

I think we just got promoted... 8)

Actually, if 50Cent is actually such a big Apple fan, I wouldn't put it past him that he reads AppleInsider (and he's probably a large shareholder as well).

i seriously hope that's some sarcastic shit right there!
  • Reply 69 of 132
    fooeyfooey Posts: 52member
    maybe they will use a 50 cent song as the setup music in 10.5
  • Reply 70 of 132
    Quote:

[B

I think 50 Cent, like me, is a frustrated Mac user who would like to see Macs in the hands of more people and sees this as an opportunity for market share growth. H e could give the Mac the street cred it would need to break into this market and now that Apple is using Intel chips, now is the time for that $399 (monitor and keyboard inc.) internet, email, word processing computer. [/B]

What makes you think that Apple wants to enter this market?
  • Reply 71 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I don't want to answer for xsmi, but here's what I posted at notebookforum.com:

Well the point is that millions of teenagers across the United States, especially inner-city kids, like the 'whole nothing but murder, gangs, and crime' thing. And to be honest, many of them consider 50-cent as a role model, sadly. Though you can make the point that most low-income/innercity kids have experience murder, gangs, and crime at one point or another so it probably isn't knew to them anywho.

Apple + 50 Cent could be a great marketing strategy for Apple, providing low-cost computers with a great operating system to teenagers who either can't afford a $500 Mac Mini + KMD or teenagers who are simply sucked into the whole 'Rap/MTV America' culture and simply want to follow their rap icon. I know many many kids who bought iPod's just because they saw Kanye West wearing one on SNL or girls who wanted iPod Mini's because they saw Paris Hilton wearing one in a playboy photoshoot.

As a 14 year-old teenager and a proud owner of a 15.4" Macbook Pro, I can tell you that if you stick a Rap icon or any other pop-culture figure on a product, kids will buy them. It's simply youth-america today, or in any sense, human nature to have or do what people think is 'cool' at the time. (And no my parents didn't buy the laptop for me, I purchased it with my own hard-worked money which I recieved from managing my own online Website Design Studio so no, I'm not spoiled lol.)

Hey, if you were an inner-city teenager who had a PentiumII computer that rarely even booted up and then saw your favorite rap icon along with hundreds of other kids endorsing/purchasing a cheap Mac computer, wouldn't you want one too?

No, I'm not trying to endorse or encourage rap, violence, drugs, or crime, I'm simply trying to outline Apple's marketing strategy if or when they choose to create a 50-cent consumer product. lol and no, I'm not a hardcore hip-hop/rap listener, because its all about COLDPLAY haha

Eh, Completely unattached from the discussion, well, at the end of the day, the rappers are the ones with million dollar houses, yachts, and boeing jets LOL... this is outlined in Jay-Z's song 'Numb/Encore'

"Back to take over the globe, now break bread

I'm in, Boeing jets, Global Express

Out the country but the blueberry still connect

On the low but the yacht got a triple deck"

Welcome to MTV America kids, face it, the rappers/music icons control your children hehe just kidding
  • Reply 72 of 132
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    as I wrote before:

an 100$ mail/iNet machine from Apple - why not?

but?

this

and that?

????

VERY hard to get that under one line?
  • Reply 73 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

as I wrote before:

an 100$ mail/iNet machine from Apple - why not?

but?

this

and that?

????

VERY hard to get that under one line?

lol actually:

An iPod covered completely in diamonds.. yepp they do mix... bling bling haha

But hey, I'm sure he has more than enough money to buy millions of diamonds... or perhaps a 2nd private jet covered in diamonds? lol
  • Reply 74 of 132
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mnm2004bft

? bling bling haha

lol

to be honest:

being very far away from the rap scene (geographically, age, music taste, cultural), all that "bling bling" stuff is so unbelievable ugly! taste-free! beyond limits! sorry, European education makes it impossible to accept "such"? me prefer "less is more".

but, ok, if you want it and can afford it?

happyness fits in a small shell?

and:

I do know "bling bling" is the "official term" for such? nonsense (<< sorry, english words missing), comes close to other baby-speak stuff?
  • Reply 75 of 132
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

Love those lines from JayZ. They use that part in the trailer for the Miami Vice (2006) movie.

Is that "but the BlackBerry still connect"?

Good post, anyhow.
  • Reply 76 of 132
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I think that Apple should try to break into this market because they should not be in the business of turning away customers. Also, I don't know what the demographics are where you live, but around here, the largest school systems are urban low income schools. If Apple could make a splash with a real alternative to the cheap-o Dell, Gateway and custom boxes, they may be able to sale some boxes to the schools they lost several years ago. Listen, back in 1998 I saw the invoice for the Dells, my Jr. high purchases to replace the Macs and Apples we had. The total bill was over $212,000. This was for one building. Apple has been losing the hearts and minds of people in these areas for a long time and with it potential profit, and market share. They just can't afford to keep ignoring this.
  • Reply 77 of 132
    Quote:

Love those lines from JayZ. They use that part in the trailer for the Miami Vice (2006) movie.

Is that "but the BlackBerry still connect"?

Good post, anyhow.

Yep, Jay-Z has a gold-plated Blackberry which he seems to showoff everywhere he goes.

The Miami Vice trailer is great, I like how they order the music to fit with the animation
  • Reply 78 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

to be honest:

being very far away from the rap scene (geographically, age, music taste, cultural), all that "bling bling" stuff is so unbelievable ugly! taste-free! beyond limits! sorry, European education makes it impossible to accept "such"? me prefer "less is more".

but, ok, if you want it and can afford it?

happyness fits in a small shell?

and:

I do know "bling bling" is the "official term" for such? nonsense (<< sorry, english words missing), comes close to other baby-speak stuff?

Bling bling is for those who grew up so poor that they simply can't believe that they have money at all. So they show it off to prove to everyone (as well as themselves) that they really have made it.
  • Reply 79 of 132
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Bling bling is for those who grew up so poor that they simply can't believe that they have money at all. So they show it off to prove to everyone (as well as themselves) that they really have made it.

Bling bling is for those who life in a country were showing of your wealth and bad taste is as important as carrying a gun and cultivating angst.

It's culture, look at Paris Hilton, Her Blingability is unbeaten and she knows how to spell it.
  • Reply 80 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

Bling bling is for those who life in a country were showing of your wealth and bad taste is as important as carrying a gun and cultivating angst.

It's culture, look at Paris Hilton, Her Blingability is unbeaten and she knows how to spell it.

No, she doesn't do this. Whatever I may think of her otherwise.

And your parochial prejudice is hanging out. From what little you know of places other than your own.