The Intel Powermac / Powermac Conroe / Mac Pro thread

Comments

• Reply 901 of 946
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Okay, people, this could be it (oh please oh please oh please):

"There's recently been some talk about a potential Apple product introduction following the July 4th holiday. However, the rumors are largely unconfirmed at this time.

Specifically, the rumblings suggest a high-end hardware offering could be in the cards. Informed speculation would point to a product based on Intel's Woodcrest line of chips, which were recently introduced."

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1855

Following the holiday. That leaves a large gap between now and the dev conf.

Those here who truly believe in the sanctity of the Tuesday release, will have to wait until next week, and then what's so special?
  • Reply 902 of 946
    they never say it's tied to the 4th, just that it's near the 4th. It may have nothing to do with the 4th, it may just come out early to mid July (post-4th) instead of WWDC. that could be all that that means.
  • Reply 903 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZachPruckowski

they never say it's tied to the 4th, just that it's near the 4th. It may have nothing to do with the 4th, it may just come out early to mid July (post-4th) instead of WWDC. that could be all that that means.

As we all know well; Anything is possible.
  • Reply 904 of 946
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I just don't see Apple springing something on Wednesday, July 5th, although it begins a National Education conference in which Apple is an attendee.
  • Reply 905 of 946
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I just don't see Apple springing something on Wednesday, July 5th, although it begins a National Education conference in which Apple is an attendee.

eMac?
  • Reply 906 of 946
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

eMac?

Yeah but A.I. seems to indicate that it's something bigger. Of course education loves the Xserve too.
  • Reply 907 of 946
    Quote:

Yeah but A.I. seems to indicate that it's something bigger. Of course education loves the Xserve too.

An eMac is nothing to sneer at. And A.I. isn't perfect. Although I'd be pleased as punch to check tomorrow at 5:30 and see a mac pro spec list on slashdot or here.
  • Reply 908 of 946
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I agree. Apple always attends, but if they planned an announcement of some sort there would be a buzz of an Apple speech of some sort, or a ton of Apple security. We'll see. I haven't heard anything about Apple being overly secretive of anything there, or a beefed up secure area for them.
  • Reply 909 of 946
    Well, now we know, don't we?
  • Reply 910 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Well, now we know, don't we?

Yeah. They hid it in the open. It's identicle to an iMac. Not much to hide.

OK, so I had a dream about a PowerMac announcement last night. I should have known it was a dream when he called it the "all new PowerMac something, or other", but I didn't. You know how dreams are. THe coolest thing, about the only thing, I remember was the beginning when he was showing the hot swappable drive chassis. It was totally cool. He went through all the different things you could put on a removable drive, and different ways how you can use them. I remember the backup drives like, a mirror system, user drives, for privacy between family members, windows removal, he also had a huge video rendering going on where the 1st drive would get full, and the overflow would automatically go to the new drive, and he swapped out the first drive with a new empty drive for when the render filled up the next drive. I was totally awestruck.
  • Reply 911 of 946
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yeah. They hid it in the open. It's identicle to an iMac. Not much to hide.

OK, so I had a dream about a PowerMac announcement last night. I should have known it was a dream when he called it the "all new PowerMac something, or other", but I didn't. You know how dreams are. THe coolest thing, about the only thing, I remember was the beginning when he was showing the hot swappable drive chassis. It was totally cool. He went through all the different things you could put on a removable drive, and different ways how you can use them. I remember the backup drives like, a mirror system, user drives, for privacy between family members, windows removal, he also had a huge video rendering going on where the 1st drive would get full, and the overflow would automatically go to the new drive, and he swapped out the first drive with a new empty drive for when the render filled up the next drive. I was totally awestruck.

I admit that hot-swappable drives have uses... especially in the work place. But I don't think we'll EVER see hot-swappable drives in a mac pro / powermac. Do they already exist in the xserve? I'd expect to see them way there way before the mac pro. The mac pro is still a consumer machine. When I see a list of desires for a mac pro, I hardly EVER see "hot-swappable drives" on the list. Of course we'll have to wait and see, but in the mean time... I think you're dreaming
  • Reply 912 of 946
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

I admit that hot-swappable drives have uses... especially in the work place. But I don't think we'll EVER see hot-swappable drives in a mac pro / powermac. Do they already exist in the xserve? I'd expect to see them way there way before the mac pro. The mac pro is still a consumer machine. When I see a list of desires for a mac pro, I hardly EVER see "hot-swappable drives" on the list. Of course we'll have to wait and see, but in the mean time... I think you're dreaming

Both the Xserve & the XRAID have hot-swap HDDs?

I also would like to see hot-swap drives in the new Mac Pro?

Apple has already done the R&D with the aforementioned enterprise products?
  • Reply 913 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Both the Xserve & the XRAID have hot-swap HDDs?

I also would like to see hot-swap drives in the new Mac Pro?

Apple has already done the R&D with the aforementioned enterprise products?

I guess I fail to see the need to up costs for a few select users that would "want it". How many people would it convert from solaris / windows to mac? Is it a deal breaker? I assume it isn't. There are standalone hotswappable harddrive options like Xserve RAID. I'd think buying those would be better than swapping in your desktop machine. MINE would be impossible to get to unless it came directly out the front.

I also never see this as an option in PC DIY cases. I think silverstone offers a couple but that's about it.

I believe it would be something that wouldn't even be used by A LOT of mac pro buyers. Is it worth upping the cost for it?
  • Reply 914 of 946
    Quote:

I guess I fail to see the need to up costs for a few select users that would "want it". How many people would it convert from solaris / windows to mac? Is it a deal breaker? I assume it isn't. There are standalone hotswappable harddrive options like Xserve RAID. I'd think buying those would be better than swapping in your desktop machine. MINE would be impossible to get to unless it came directly out the front.

I also never see this as an option in PC DIY cases. I think silverstone offers a couple but that's about it.

I believe it would be something that wouldn't even be used by A LOT of mac pro buyers. Is it worth upping the cost for it?

The addition of the hot swapable drive chasis on an alienware workstation was $58.00. It doesn't seem like that is going to break anyone.
  • Reply 915 of 946
    Quote:

Quote:

The addition of the hot swapable drive chasis on an alienware workstation was $58.00. It doesn't seem like that is going to break anyone.

Especially if hot-swap HDDs were a BTO option?
  • Reply 916 of 946
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Especially if hot-swap HDDs were a BTO option?

Like apple would do that.... have you seen the BTO lately?
  • Reply 917 of 946
    Quote:

It was just a cool dream. shit I've never been to a MacWorld, or a WWDC, and they don't live broadcast apple shows anymore so it was really exciting just to have the experience again. Either way though I'd still like to see it happen. Hot swapping drives is Apples best option to offer more drive space if they are not going to have the internal spaces for them any more. I still think it's a good idea to remove your windows drive when you are not using it. But I can't say that I expect it. I'd just like to see it. Especially for my mirror drive that I have to keep internal right now. I'd rather use that drive space for something else, and only pop the drive in to update it.
  • Reply 918 of 946
    Quote:

Yeah, negativity always helps?
  • Reply 919 of 946
    Quote:

You're looking at this the wrong way. It's a matter of satisfying your customers. Not just getting new ones. All PC's are capable of having hot swap installed. All that have the slots, which IS just about all. Hot swap cartridges and chassis are cheap. Apple doesn't have to include them. They can offer them as an accessory, for us to install ourselves. It's not much harder than installing a HD. All it requires is a stand open 5.25" slot.

Hell, they don't even have to offer them! Just give us the slot(s). We'll buy our own.
  • Reply 920 of 946
    Quote:

It was just a cool dream. shit I've never been to a MacWorld, or a WWDC, and they don't live broadcast apple shows anymore so it was really exciting just to have the experience again. Either way though I'd still like to see it happen. Hot swapping drives is Apples best option to offer more drive space if they are not going to have the internal spaces for them any more. I still think it's a good idea to remove your windows drive when you are not using it. But I can't say that I expect it. I'd just like to see it. Especially for my mirror drive that I have to keep internal right now. I'd rather use that drive space for something else, and only pop the drive in to update it.

I've been to a lot of those, and I've seen a lot of hot swappable chassis in PC's.

This could even be done in the optical slot, if you either didn't need the optical drive, or had an external one anyway.