Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse revealed (photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    Wow, the pics! AND the user manual! This is the biggest, most glaring leak we've seen in a long time out of Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

I can see where it could be used in saying "We have 12 Mighty Mouses in stock" but on its own it just doesn't sound right, especially in this context. Anyway, I thought the Mighty Mouse was supposed to be garbage. Is it worthy of a wireless version?
  • Reply 43 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Wow, the pics! AND the user manual! This is the biggest, most glaring leak we've seen in a long time out of Apple.

I don't think it's a leak more then a slip up as this was all posted on the FCC website.
  • Reply 44 of 112
    niksternikster Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

Well, it never seems to be a problem in the games I play ... hold the right-click to zoom in, push left-click to fire ... I dunno, I've just never had problems. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I love the mighty mouse. It's the right size for my hand and feels like a mouse should. I hate wacky curves, obtrusive balls and needless grips.

Long live the Mighty Mouse. It will continue to get better, just as the iPod and the Mac have over the years...

There must be some people who naturally lift the left finger when clicking the right button. For those the MM will work great.

I just hope you guys are not in the majority because until this is fixed, the Mighty Mouse is useless for me (and many others I know, actually).

Can we click left and right at the same time, please? Not even click, just leave the finger on the mouse. Can't be that hard now, can it?
  • Reply 45 of 112
    my 2 cents,

mighty sucks. i bought it stand alone when it first came out.

-im a sucker for Apple stuff.

anyway it was soon unplugged for my less pretty logitech, but ooh so much better to use.
  • Reply 46 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Maybe just for profit sake?

And NOT sell their inventory of single button Bluetooth mice and drive off potential sales to competitors? Oh, I forgot, the regular MM drives people away too, for its peculiarities.

Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

Um, you can program it to right-click.

Yes, but the post you quote does say that but is objecting to the very fact that the user MUST raise their index finger a fair distance away from the shell to make it sense a "right click" as a "right click", or rather, call it a secondary button click. It's even more irritating when I switch it to left hand mode, ALL clicks are assumed to be secondary button if you use the index finger as the primary click, unless you raise your secondary button finger. For a mouse with better clicking, I rest my fingers on the shell, only putting enough force to click when I need it. I also usually like to only have to move one finger to make one action. Moving two fingers to make the same action is backwards.

That, the scroll ball's ease of jamming and the uselessness of the side buttons are the biggest things that I think Apple got wrong on the MM. Frankly, Apple can be such sissies about getting something that looks optimal to their school of design, at the expense of usability. Many times Apple is excellent for usability, for times like this, I think they get too caught up in themselves.

What I think Apple did get right is that a middle click has the same force as a primary and secondary click. Most scroll mice allow the scroller to be clicked, but the amount of force needed is about twice that of the other buttons. Another thing they did get right is that the side scrolling is proportional in motion and it involves the same force as vertical scrolling. Other side scrolling mice are only on-off buttons, and side scrolling involves a lot more force than vertical scrolling, there's no proportionality there.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    albeikalbeik Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nikster

Now, if they made a Mighty Mouse that didn't suck we would have a product!

I own a MM - couldn't resist the design. The scroll ball is brilliant. But the lack of right click makes it useless for me, or at the very least much less useful than my Logitech.

To quote a dear friend of mine: "You'd have to be a Cambodian dancer for the motion of raising your index finger to right click to be natural..."

Great design, but it's obvious John Ive never right-clicks.

I keep hearing this problem in regards to raising the index finger before right clicking. I was worried when work got me a new iMac (intel) that came with the mighty mouse -- I have had no problems using the mouse at work and didn't have to raise anything to apple a right-click. Maybe I am light-handed :P
  • Reply 48 of 112
    niksternikster Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by albeik

I keep hearing this problem in regards to raising the index finger before right clicking. I was worried when work got me a new iMac (intel) that came with the mighty mouse -- I have had no problems using the mouse at work and didn't have to raise anything to apple a right-click. Maybe I am light-handed :P

This seems a bit difficult to understand for people who don't have the problem.

I always have the index finger on the left click button and the middle finger on the right button when I use the mouse. I never raise one of these fingers away from the mouse. I click by pushing one of those fingers down.

This does not work on the Mighty Mouse which expects me to raise my index finger away from the mouse before clicking down the middle finger to right-click. I thought it might be a matter of getting used to it, but for me personally, after two weeks of trying, I concluded that I am not getting used to it. There were just too many times when I wanted to right-click and something else - or nothing - happened. Which was annoying.

Luckily there's pretty damn good alternatives around, I really don't have to put up with this
  • Reply 49 of 112
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah Apple has the most retarded mouses. I mean seriously. How come Microsoft can beat them at this? Didn't they freakin invent the thing!? How embarassing. It's just so... WRONG. And frankly, puzzling.

Comments like yours constantly reaffirm why I love Apple's designs.
  • Reply 50 of 112
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    So when are they putting laser tracking in the standard Mighty Mouse?

I've a corded Mighty Mouse and a Bluetooth Mouse. I hate having to replace batteries every few weeks and the Bluetooth Mouse also weighs too much to skim around my desk even if aesthetically it's a lovely thing. Both aren't the best tracking mice I've ever had though. The MM wins only because you don't have the Bluetooth wakeup delay in tracking but both will seemingly randomly jump the pointer a couple of inches occasionally.

So, laser tracking - that's what I'm waiting for, in a USB version.
  • Reply 51 of 112
    SWEET!!!

And it has laser tracking too!! W000T!
  • Reply 52 of 112
    wackybitwackybit Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AgNuke1707

Well, it never seems to be a problem in the games I play ... hold the right-click to zoom in, push left-click to fire ... I dunno, I've just never had problems. I'm not saying it works for everyone, but I love the mighty mouse. It's the right size for my hand and feels like a mouse should. I hate wacky curves, obtrusive balls and needless grips.

Long live the Mighty Mouse. It will continue to get better, just as the iPod and the Mac have over the years...

Obtrusive balls?
  • Reply 53 of 112
    wackybitwackybit Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nikster

There must be some people who naturally lift the left finger when clicking the right button. For those the MM will work great.

I just hope you guys are not in the majority because until this is fixed, the Mighty Mouse is useless for me (and many others I know, actually).

Can we click left and right at the same time, please? Not even click, just leave the finger on the mouse. Can't be that hard now, can it?

I'm one of the people who naturally lifts my index finger to right click....

But I admit that the mouse is really bad at playing games because you can't click both buttons at the same time, or you can't press each successively, you gotta wait for it to fully unclick then you can click with the other button.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ALPICH

Not so mighty mouse. I am sick of not being able to use the left and right buttons at the same time....

Exactly my thoughts. It's a shame. It also renders the mouse almost useless in Maya, where you constantly use 3 mouse buttons in different combinations. Click and hold one button, click and hold a second button, release the first button... click a third. That kind of operation is simply impossible with Mighty Mouse because it only has one click mechanism. And when the click is registered it senses where your finger is on the mouse, this state is locked until you release the click and click again. Though it's good for most purposes, but it's wrong of Apple to market it as a pro mouse when it's not.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    fuyutsukifuyutsuki Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by palegolas

Exactly my thoughts. It's a shame. It also renders the mouse almost useless in Maya, where you constantly use 3 mouse buttons in different combinations. Click and hold one button, click and hold a second button, release the first button... click a third. That kind of operation is simply impossible with Mighty Mouse because it only has one click mechanism. And when the click is registered it senses where your finger is on the mouse, this state is locked until you release the click and click again. Though it's good for most purposes, but it's wrong of Apple to market it as a pro mouse when it's not.

Yeah, I understand the MM criticism. I'm in the apparent minority who think it's great (and I snipe occasionally on Battlefield 2 on my PC with it too without a second thought) but then I have always naturally avoided interfaces where you have to play "chords" on the mouse buttons. In fact, I'm also such a trackpad fan that I like to avoid mice completely unless I'm in desktop mode.

My wishlist for making the perfect Mighty Mouse Mk.2:
    • Bluetooth with ultra light iPod style internal battery, recharged via mini-Magsafe USB lead

• INDEPENDENT left and right "click" sensors

• redesigned side buttons so more people can use them without stretching

• Add a black model for the inevitable black iMac! Must have black cable.

The independent sensors is the key. At the moment as everyone knows, the whole top of the mouse is hinged as a "single button click" with a sensor on the right side of the mouse to determine which button to map this to. I propose keeping the same "whole mouse click" feel but with a sensor inside each side to pick up left and right, and make sure the scroll wheel has one too. Then if you need to left+right click say, just do it. The mouse will only make its little click noise and depress once, but the sensors will know what you want to do. Voila. The sensors are the key. And since only quite advanced mousers use buttons as prodigiously as this, the über design can remain the same regards the shell itself, which will feel just right to all those one-clickers out there and those of us like myself who just LOVE having a mouse without any goddamn ugly buttons on it!
  • Reply 56 of 112
    You can buy it now ($69): http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/
  • Reply 57 of 112
    alpichalpich Posts: 96member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdcfsu

You can buy it now ($69): http://www.apple.com/mightymouse/

Not available in Australia yet.
  • Reply 58 of 112
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

News Flash: Steve Jobs is an alien.

No, Steve is a time traveller from the future who for the last 30 years has released stuff that was really meant to be developed years from now.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ALPICH

Not available in Australia yet.

Or UK yet. However, I rang my local Mac Accessory Pimp and I've one on order. I neglected to ask how much though. I'm such a fanboi! :-)
  • Reply 60 of 112
    jamezogjamezog Posts: 163member
    And I thought I saw my last rodent dissection when I was in high school...