Apple's wireless Mighty Mouse now available

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gregmightdothat

Are you actually left handed?

Because as a left handed person myself, I smudge when I write, I find it awkward to use buttons on phones (particularly on my mom's Blackberry, which whenever I grab it, I hang up on people), and things like binder-rings are ALWAYS getting in my way and generally pissing me off.

But mouse buttons? I just use my middle finger to click instead of the pointer finger like everybody else.

Just because lots of things designed for right handed people are bothersome for lefties, doesn't mean EVERYTHING is. I move the mouse to the left side. I didn't think anyone actually changed the buttons.

I swear to god we live the same life left-handed wise.

That said I'm probably the only lefty that uses a mouse in my right hand almost exclusively.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I really don't understand the problem either, there is a basic standard it should be compatible with. Maybe it is compatible as a plain 2 button mouse with vertical scrolling, this could be Apple's way of saying the advanced features don't work, like the side scrolling and the goofy side buttons. Until someone forks up the $69 US to get one and try it, we don't really know.

Except that Apple mentions that situation specifically for the older os x and for the wired MM. So I don't think that's it...
  • Reply 83 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by rain

As far as the wireless mouse goes, mice with batteries suck for those who suffer from carpal tunnel syndrom. The extra weight wrecks havoc on a damaged wrist, and can also initiate the syndrom.

The only people who get carpal tunnel are the ones who hold mice wrong. You can't rest your wrist on the mouse, you need to keep your wrist straight and mouse with your entire forearm.

For those of you with carpal tunnel, here is the perfect mouse:

It forces you to hold it right. Anyone that doesn't like it is likely using a mouse incorrectly, and will almost certainly get carpal tunnel or repetitive strain later in life.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    I've a question for someone with a wired Mighty Mouse. It's already been discussed how you can't hold down the right button and then hit the left as required for some games. This seems obvious to me because there is only one click button--the touch sensitive thingie is just used to tell which button is being pressed when that click button is depressed.

So, my question is, can you map the scroll ball button to be the right click and then try holding down the scroll ball and left-clicking? I'm not sure what the best way of testing this is but I expect you'll have to get a game out and try sniping with it.

If this works, there's going to be one of these on the way to my house some time in the next month...
  • Reply 85 of 111
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by meelash

So, my question is, can you map the scroll ball button to be the right click and then try holding down the scroll ball and left-clicking? I'm not sure what the best way of testing this is but I expect you'll have to get a game out and try sniping with it.

If this works, there's going to be one of these on the way to my house some time in the next month...

No. The scroll ball doesn't click down by itself. When you click it, the whole shell moves. Since you're not clicking the other two buttons it presumes you've clicked the ball. You can't click more than one button at once no matter how you try.

This IMHO is a good thing although I can see why it might be useful in some games. Why not just hold down a key on the keyboard though?
  • Reply 86 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

No. The scroll ball doesn't click down by itself. When you click it, the whole shell moves. Since you're not clicking the other two buttons it presumes you've clicked the ball. You can't click more than one button at once no matter how you try.

This IMHO is a good thing although I can see why it might be useful in some games. Why not just hold down a key on the keyboard though?

aah, I see. I didn't realize they took the single click thing even to the scroll ball.

Yeah, the key on the keyboard could probably work, but now that I think of it the side button *should* probably be able to handle it too, right? That, at least, has it's own mechanism. I think that might even be an easier action and more intuitive (in fact it's kind of analogous to the default mapping of it to expose)- squeeze to zoom and then click... hmm, looks like I'll have to try it out.

Just another thing to clear up: is it possible, using the current (wired) Mighty Mouse, to click and drag on something, squeeze to expos&eacute while dragging. I presume this is possible otherwise it would be rather stupid...
  • Reply 87 of 111
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

aah, I see. I didn't realize they took the single click thing even to the scroll ball.

Yeah, the key on the keyboard could probably work, but now that I think of it the side button *should* probably be able to handle it too, right? That, at least, has it's own mechanism.

Yep that would work although squeezing the mouse and clicking is kind of painful.

Quote:

I think that might even be an easier action and more intuitive (in fact it's kind of analogous to the default mapping of it to expose)- squeeze to zoom and then click... hmm, looks like I'll have to try it out.

Just another thing to clear up: is it possible, using the current (wired) Mighty Mouse, to click and drag on something, squeeze to expos&eacute while dragging. I presume this is possible otherwise it would be rather stupid...

Yes you can, but it's not very natural feeling to me. Much easier to drag, F9/F10/F11/F12, drop. I use that all the time to drag files to the Transmit FTP widget on my dashboard.
  • Reply 88 of 111
    I have the old wireless Apple mouse, and while I like it, it keeps giving me trouble. My first one stopped registering movement, but registered clicks. I brought it to my Apple store, and was given another one. A couple of weeks later same problem. I put it aside and used my Microsoft one for a while. For shites and giggles I tried the Apple one and it worked, however a couple weeks later it is no longer working, both times with the same problem as the original.

I remember when I returned it I was asked if I wanted the same mouse as a replacement so I am hoping if I go back now, I can atleast put that broken mouse as credit towards a new BT Mighty Mouse. However I may be better off, seeing as how the Mighty Mouse is so amazing, and I have used other mice (Mainly Microsoft ones, however I don't like the ones with the horizontal scroll) that I like much more, getting a non Apple mouse.
  • Reply 89 of 111
    Quote:

Yep that would work although squeezing the mouse and clicking is kind of painful.

Yes you can, but it's not very natural feeling to me. Much easier to drag, F9/F10/F11/F12, drop. I use that all the time to drag files to the Transmit FTP widget on my dashboard.

Yeah, that's what I do now, but I think if I could get used to the drag and squeeze that would be awesomely efficient. As far as I can tell from "simulating" it on my non mighty mouse here, it all comes down to how hard it is to squeeze to get a click. At least theoretically, it's a cool idea.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Anyone use the screen corners for Exposé? Ever since I did this I am very pleased with it. Grab a file, sling the mouse into upper right to separate the windows of the active app, or sling it into the lower left to expose all the windows to drop the item on another app's window. Lower right corner is Dashboard, and upper left is Desktop. No clicking, no keystrokes.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Anyone use the screen corners for Exposé? Ever since I did this I am very pleased with it. Grab a file, sling the mouse into upper right to separate the windows of the active app, or sling it into the lower left to expose all the windows to drop the item on another app's window. Lower right corner is Dashboard, and upper left is Desktop. No clicking, no keystrokes.

YES! Screen corners are totally amazing for me. I have all three Exposé functions set, split among the top-left, bottom-right, and bottom-left. The top-right is set for Dashboard... which allows me to take the icon out of the Dock. I cannot imagine using OSX without having these screen corners set-up. Having Exposé set up to keystrokes makes it fairly clumsy for me. Particularly the Functions keys, which my left hand is rarely near.
  • Reply 92 of 111
    Quote:

If there's one thing this thread shows, there's lots of different preferences in mice.

Not really. But it shows just how ignorant and/or delusional some people are. Subjectivity, opinion, preference... these things have absolutely nothing to do with any of this. The reality, which is apparent with even the most basic observation by competent humans, and has also been proven time and time again with scientific experiments, is that the Mighty Mouse possesses all of the following qualities: Greatness, Excellence, and Superiority to all competing products. Why anyone would even attempt to challenge this is totally beyond me. It's like saying that Steve Jobs is 7'10"... and not even he could convince many people of that.
  • Reply 93 of 111
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    AA batteries...no USB charging...what idiocy. The company that invents mice has the most retarded mice. Yeah MICE. I hope by the time I want one, say in a few months, they have a new edition that leaves out the Stupid Apple Mouse Design? component. Or I guess I'll have to buy a Microsoft mouse for my MacBook. The height of ridiculousness.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    Quote:

Not so good on my 12" PB. Too many false hits. *sob*
  • Reply 95 of 111
    Quote:

Anyone use the screen corners for Exposé? Ever since I did this I am very pleased with it.

Yes.

Bottom - Right: All Windows

Top - Left: Dashboard

When other's use my computer, it freaks them out.
  • Reply 96 of 111
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

When other's use my computer, it freaks them out.

That is exactly what happens with me. They just kind of freeze. Agape with amazement and concern that they might have done something wrong. Nothing in basic Windows configurations prepares people for the effects of Exposé or Dashboard.
  • Reply 97 of 111
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The best for me is when the Comcast guy initially is puzzled, having never heard of Safari, but just when he is about to give up and ask for help, he spots the little "e" in the Dock which he of course recognizes as TEH INTERNET (Internet Explorer). So he goes to click it, and the combination of my USB Overdrive which I have set on 175% speed and the lower right screen corner which flips him into Dashboard totally reduces him to a quivering mass of "OMG WHERE IS TEH WINDOWS".

Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

That is exactly what happens with me. They just kind of freeze. Agape with amazement and concern that they might have done something wrong. Nothing in basic Windows configurations prepares people for the effects of Exposé or Dashboard.

• Reply 98 of 111
    I've just received my Wireless Mighty Mouse and it works great!

It's recognized by 10.4.7 but need the supply CD in order to access the new driver and new Preference Pane.

It is smoother that the old wireless Apple mouse (I have computer with both wireless 1 button Apple mouse and Wired Mighty Mouse at work). It behave exactly like the Wired Mighty Mouse on a desk surface.

The feeling on the desk seems a little less rough (maybe because it is brand new). Not that the might mouse was rougher than my Logitech at home.

It's a good mouse. Not heavy like some other BT mouse.

I will now test the lasting of the battery...
  • Reply 99 of 111
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    A question for all of you who have the original (wired) MM...

Have you noticed any discoloration in the plastic (ie: turning yellow)? I ask because my old MS mouse turned yellow, whereas my new one is fine, and if I'm going to blow $70 on a mouse, I'd like it to stay its original intended color.
  • Reply 100 of 111
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

I like bottom right for the desktop, bottom left for current application windows, and the scroll button for all windows.