Apple hears the MacBook Pro whining sound

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    silly... why not widen the air inlet and using Magnetic Levitation fan... Overdrive or chocking just not fall behind after the whining...(heat and fire might even cause more drama)...

http://www.sunon.com.tw/english/weal.../tech-05.htm#C

Go back to the basics please... more design margin please... (with hot weather outdoor in CA, convection cooling a bit useless...).
  • Reply 42 of 61
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Maybe so, and I had issues with my PBG4 (logic board fried) but would you rather deal with widows issues on a minute to minute bases? I'd bet the farm on a Apple and I'm sure you would too. Windows or anything PC makes me shiver and I do have to deal with windows on daily bases...(sigh) And I give Apple a lot of business too... it's all good!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Tag Me Back

Apple makes me very unhappy, but I still give them a lot of business.

• Reply 43 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.Scott

Maybe so, and I had issues with my PBG4 (logic board fried) but would you rather deal with widows issues on a minute to minute bases? I'd bet the farm on a Apple and I'm sure you would too. Windows or anything PC makes me shiver and I do have to deal with windows on daily bases...(sigh) And I give Apple a lot of business too... it's all good!!!

Sometimes I wonder which I will be using a year from now. Windows isn't so bad, it's just that OS X is generally better.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Sometimes I wonder which I will be using a year from now. Windows isn't so bad, it's just that OS X is generally better.

Hopefully OS X or better. Granted windows dominates the computer world (which is good and bad) I come home to a computer that I know will work under pressure. You're right, windows isn't so bad just not great either...
  • Reply 45 of 61
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

"generally better?" It is incomparably better; unfortunately, it is just not ubiquitous, thanks to folks who insist on living in the old paradigm or just like things the way they were.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Not a single problem. Sony. Dell. Toshiba.

[/B]

I guess your wife haven't heard about few fire cracking laptops of Dell? Haven't see the video? No? You are on the Forum with outline of problems that from world wide sales and summary of reliability problem on apple, your wife's statement is base on her own experiences: how many computers per each brand she "heard of"? The evaluation base is orders of magnitude different...The reliability assessment normally is based on parts per million or if not parts per billion... If she jump on relialibility conference hosted by IEEE, she might see more of the picture in a whole. Sony is the 1st laptop back in 10 years ago that can not put on the lap because it is too hot (before that, IBM thinkpad has no problem happily sit on the lap). However, have to agree, the design is beautiful (can't say that about the rest of the chaps you mentioned).

Oh, well, I guess she can carry the heavy Dell to strengthening her arm... That is a benefit for sure...
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1st

Oh, well, I guess she can carry the heavy Dell to strengthening her arm... That is a benefit for sure...

That impression is obsolete. Dell currently offers at least five notebook models that are lighter than anything Apple offers, two of them at about half of the MacBook's weight. I know those models don't offer the same screen size, and most don't offer the same speed as what Apple offers, but I'm willing to trade away the speed and heat for something that's cool and light.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

She agreed, saying that at her company of 180 employees, they have never had a single hardware problem with a PC, with several hundred purchases over the years. Not a single problem. Sony. Dell. Toshiba.

Even anecdotally speaking I honestly find this difficult to believe. I cannot think of 180 people who have not had some problem with their computer irregardless of which brand. You say they've bought several hundred.

All of these manufacturers have had recalls for one reason or another, I find it difficult to believe they've owned hundreds of computers and never had a problem with any.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    To base one's buying decision on what a few hundred people post on online boards is ridiculous.

Consumer Reports lists Apple as #1 in customer service and that is a much more reliable indicator.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Just spoke with the wife who needs a new notebook. I want her to get a Mac, of course (probably a MBP), but simply cannot recommend one to her due to the history of problems I have had and the problems showing up on these boards.

She agreed, saying that at her company of 180 employees, they have never had a single hardware problem with a PC, with several hundred purchases over the years. Not a single problem. Sony. Dell. Toshiba.

She said it is obvious that some makers care about making good products, whereas others try to blind everyone into buying theirs. We will go to the Apple Store in Tokyo in a week or two and discuss things with the salespeople there, but she is skeptical of buying Apple.

did they ever turn the computers on?
  • Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

That impression is obsolete. Dell currently offers at least five notebook models that are lighter than anything Apple offers, two of them at about half of the MacBook's weight. I know those models don't offer the same screen size, and most don't offer the same speed as what Apple offers, but I'm willing to trade away the speed and heat for something that's cool and light.

Jeff,

you are not by any chances are the Jeff?

===

"The Impact of Bloggers on Corporate Reputation: Dell Hell Hits Home?

July 10, 2006

In a recent search for information on the influence of PR on brand perception for a client, we came across a report that?s potentially devastating for Texas-based computer maker Dell, along with any other company that delivers such abysmal customer service that someone feels compelled to Blog about it. It should also make the rest of us sit up and take notice. As a result of our insights on the power of Blogs, we?ve already helped our client begin to analyze brand perception in some new and interesting ways.

Blogs are here to stay; Technorati now indexes 22 million of them. So how does Blogging affect brand attitudes and corporate communications? Either they?re a great new communications tool ?Blogs Will Change Your Business? (Business Week 2nd May 2005) or they?re a first step to brand obscurity, with a stop on the lower levels of PR hell ?Attack of the Blogs? (Forbes 14th November 2005).

With a nod towards the Forbes perspective, all we need to do is examine blogger Jeff Jarvis and his blogsite Buzzmachine. Jeff Jarvis had a faulty Dell laptop and a negative experience with Dell?s customer service. He blogged about this and brought the story into mainstream coverage from The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and the New York Times among others.

The report we came across is a study from the UK that examines whether Mr. Jarvis has had any impact on the public perception of Dell?s customer service. The short story? Don?t tick off a Blogger. ?Dell Hell?? an expression coined by Jeff Jarvis ? has become shorthand for the customer service issues he experienced.

Continue reading "The Impact of Bloggers on Corporate Reputation: Dell Hell Hits Home?"
  • Reply 52 of 61
    smnsmn Posts: 13member
    Has anyone who sent their MBP in for this repair gotten theirs back with the whining fixed yet? I sent mine in last Monday, they received it on Tuesday, and the repair status website reported "Repair completed / Product return pending (02-Aug-2006)" on Wednesday.

Then... nothing. It didn't ship back. I called customer service yesterday, a full week after the repair was supposedly completed, and he couldn't figure out what was going on. The rep told me their system said that after the repair it had gone to final testing, and then nothing me. He was insistent that final testing shouldn't take more than a day or two, much less a full week, and that if it had failed final testing and gone back for repair there should be a note in the file, but there was nothing marked there.

They put through an order to expedite and emailed the repair center asking to know what was going on, and when I called back today they said the repair center responded that it had failed final testing and gone back for repair. What the heck they've been doing in the four or five days since then, I don't have the slightest idea -- either they've just left it sitting around unrepaired, which would be pretty atrocious service, or they've been trying again and again without success. Is it possible that they're still not sure what's causing the whining or how to fix it?! Has anyone had their MBP returned to them successfully repaired?
  • Reply 53 of 61
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SMN

Has anyone who sent their MBP in for this repair gotten theirs back with the whining fixed yet? I sent mine in last Monday, they received it on Tuesday, and the repair status website reported "Repair completed / Product return pending (02-Aug-2006)" on Wednesday.

Then... nothing. It didn't ship back. I called customer service yesterday, a full week after the repair was supposedly completed, and he couldn't figure out what was going on. The rep told me their system said that after the repair it had gone to final testing, and then nothing me. He was insistent that final testing shouldn't take more than a day or two, much less a full week, and that if it had failed final testing and gone back for repair there should be a note in the file, but there was nothing marked there.

They put through an order to expedite and emailed the repair center asking to know what was going on, and when I called back today they said the repair center responded that it had failed final testing and gone back for repair. What the heck they've been doing in the four or five days since then, I don't have the slightest idea -- either they've just left it sitting around unrepaired, which would be pretty atrocious service, or they've been trying again and again without success. Is it possible that they're still not sure what's causing the whining or how to fix it?! Has anyone had their MBP returned to them successfully repaired?

I just sent mine in Monday. This morning it came up Product Return Pending. Last time my MBP went under the knife, it gave this message two days before shipping.

I will keep you posted and will report back if it got fixed.

I would like to note I had to call back in to get Apple back on track with my whining issue.

Be sure you tell them the whining is on theleft side of the keyboard for the Logic Board Replacement. I hope I get a quite MBP by tomorrow.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    I recieved my MBP today. I am posting this on it at work right now. Guess what! It is freekn' super quite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah!!!!!!!
  • Reply 55 of 61
    smnsmn Posts: 13member
    Well, apparently my machine is giving them a lot of problems. I've had a lot of trouble getting Apple's service reps to give me updates, too (but in part it's not their fault - the repair facility hasn't been keeping Apple informed), but after calling Apple each day for the last week, here's what I've pieced together:

Monday 8/1 - MBP received by Apple for repair of the "whining noise"

Tues 8/2 - Apple replaces inverter board. This stikes me as odd, as everyone else reports that Apple is addressing the whining noise by replacing the logic board, not the inverter board, but apparently for me they tried replacing the inverter board.

Weds 8/3 - MBP goes to "final testing" - which will turn out to be quite a misnomer! - and fails sensor test, needs to go back for repair

Thurs 8/4 through Weds 8/9 - Apparently the MBP sat around the repair facility with NOTHING DONE for six days (yes, the repair facility works weekends, Apple tells me). This seemed pretty hard to believe, but from I'm told it did indeed fail testing on the 3rd and no further repair was done until the 9th, when customer service ordered the repair depot to "escalate" my repair. Believe it or not, it seems like they forgot about it.

Thurs 8/10 - Apple replaces the logic board, sends MBP back to "final testing". Customer service puts in a second escalation request to have my repair classified as "critical," in part because I'm moving next week and need this back ASAP.

Fri 8/11 - MBP fails final testing *again*, and repair depot reports that they're going to have to attempt another logic board replacement. Without my asking, another customer service rep tries to put in another escalation request, already to find that it's already been escalated to the highest level. D'oh.

So, in total, this repair will have taken at least two weeks, and possibly much longer. The sad thing is that this MBP has barely been used and is basically brand new: I ordered it back in January because my school's financial aid was offering me $1000 toward a new computer purchase if I ordered by the end of the month, but I wasn't planning on using it until school starts up again in a week and a half. I spent maybe 4 or 5 nights transfering files over and setting it up, but that's all. Ah well.

(The delays are actually going to wind up costing me quite a bit of money, too. I'm shipping my things out to school next week, and was planning on shipping my old computer with them. But now I need to hold onto this old computer until my MBP is back, and then I'll have to ship this separately, which is not cheap!)

-Scott
  • Reply 56 of 61
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Yes I'd like to know what the fix is too. My MBP does this sometimes, but not enough to irritate me.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    What's on the logic board that can cause the sound?
  • Reply 58 of 61
    Evidently it has something to do with the second core going into power saving mode that made it buzz.

They replaced the Main Logic Board and two fan assemblies (LT,M1 & RT,M1).

I also had a new Tiger DVD in the box that I have to use to load OS X again if I format and start over.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    the noise that i hear is a buzzing sound that sometimes chirps, mostly when my MBP is idle. when the processor is really busy, the noise doesn't seem to be there. also, it only occurs when plugged into the power adapter. when i run off of the battery, there is no buzz. i was just wondering if this is what is being fixed by the logic board replacement? and should i call applecare?? will it be fixed or just be a waste of time?? any advice would be great. thanks.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    I installed shhMBP and the whine is gone....so far, so good!