Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 261 of 283
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Yeah - it's a lot better to have a "bring your own tuner" set-up. Which is where a PCIe card slot would be great, but USB and FW400 aren't horrible.

What I'd like is if Apple could add ExpressCard to the iMac, but I don't see it happening. Then again, some recent additions did surprise me, e.g. FW 800 on the high end.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

You are mixing in classifications with standards so the list really isn't as forbidding as it looks.

I have a tuner board that can do NTSC, ATSC and I think it will do PAL too.

You'd need to provde NTSC, ATSC, PAL, PALplus and JTSC in analog/terrestrial.

Then you'd need to provide DVB-T (terrestrial), DVB-S (satellite) and DVB-C (cable) in digital.

Then you'd need to provide various forms of mutually incompatible card slots.

You'd end up with a tuner unit upwards of $500.

Then people would want a second tuner so they can watch one thing and record another.

And then you still wouldn't cover close to enough. So forget about it. A one-size-fits-all solution is commercial suicide.
  • Reply 262 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

You'd need to provde NTSC, ATSC, PAL, PALplus and JTSC in analog/terrestrial.

And SECAM

Quote:

Then you'd need to provide DVB-T (terrestrial), DVB-S (satellite) and DVB-C (cable) in digital.

And DVB-H (not M as I wrote earlier) would be handy, and whatever they have in the Far east as they don't use DVB.

And if they're adding tuners, a DAB tuner too.

It's quite mad. You're right though, an express card slot in the the iMac somewhere unobtrusive would be useful. In the meantime the Elgato Hybrid USB stick does for most people and their firewire boxes for other people wanting something more high end.

I hope, however, that Apple adds software support in Frontrow for the TV tuners.
  • Reply 263 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

And SECAM

SECAM is basically a bastardized PAL. There are plenty of chips that can capture NTSC and its variants, PAL and its variants as well as SECAM. I have a capture card from 1998 that did that, and that basically covers most of the world in terms of analog SD broadcasts.

But the point is taken, there's not much point in trying that route. NTSC as a broadcast standard is supposed to go away soon, but there will still be legacy devices.

The 24" iMac + an EyeTV Hybrid (1) + right angle extension cable (2) might suit me pretty well as a small entertainment system, except for the point of not being able to take a game console input, and then there are the HD disc formats too. It's a pity that the 24" iMac can display 1080p without scaling, but there's no good way of getting any 1080p input into the unit save a few video clips you scrape from the Internet. If it only had an HDMI input, I might even consider the thing, for the above reasons. One can get a 37" 1080p TV for $1500, but it doesn't have the built-in computer. I suppose the $500 difference can be put towards a mini.

(1) http://elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvhybridna

(2) http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/g2515080.html
  • Reply 264 of 283
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

And DVB-H (not M as I wrote earlier)

Yeah, I thought you'd mean that, but why would you need this on a desktop? I can see the use on a laptop, of course. (Yeah, sure, the iMac already has WiFi and Bluetooth and infra-red, so it's not a stretch to other wireless technologies, but I'm just curious what the advantage of DVB-H would be in this particular case.)

Quote:

And if they're adding tuners, a DAB tuner too.

Yeah, and then DRM (and I don't mean the protection scheme; I mean the radio system), ADR, and so on and so on.
  • Reply 265 of 283
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Since v6, iPhoto has stored images in either...

~/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2006/Film Roll Name

or left them where they are on your disk. It's an option in Preferences.

Do you (or does anyone) know if a single iPhoto Library can use a combination of auto- and self-managed storage styles by toggling that option? Maybe it's analogous to toggling the "Advanced > General > Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" preference in iTunes?
  • Reply 266 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Newsflash!! Apple just released a 24" "BLACK" iMac

I wouldn't mind seeing that 24" iMac in a nice faux walnut trim with a burgundy crushed velvet stand.
  • Reply 267 of 283
    Quote:

Yeah, I thought you'd mean that, but why would you need this on a desktop? I can see the use on a laptop, of course. (Yeah, sure, the iMac already has WiFi and Bluetooth and infra-red, so it's not a stretch to other wireless technologies, but I'm just curious what the advantage of DVB-H would be in this particular case.)

It's nice low bandwidth. Great if you're not on fast broadband.
  • Reply 268 of 283
    Quote:

But the point is taken, there's not much point in trying that route. NTSC as a broadcast standard is supposed to go away soon, but there will still be legacy devices.

Analogue PAL signals are being switched off here in the UK starting 2008 so potentially a PAL tuner is going to be useless in a Mac way before you're ready to replace it.

Quote:

The 24" iMac + an EyeTV Hybrid (1) + right angle extension cable (2) might suit me pretty well as a small entertainment system, except for the point of not being able to take a game console input

So you skipped...

"Connect game consoles to your Mac

Connect your game console and enjoy an excellent live play experience ? EyeTV Hybrid?s uncompressed analog video signals appear on the screen with zero latency. "

Quote:

, and then there are the HD disc formats too. It's a pity that the 24" iMac can display 1080p without scaling, but there's no good way of getting any 1080p input into the unit save a few video clips you scrape from the Internet. If it only had an HDMI input, I might even consider the thing, for the above reasons. One can get a 37" 1080p TV for $1500, but it doesn't have the built-in computer. I suppose the $500 difference can be put towards a mini.

Wouldn't an external HDDVD or BluRay drive connected to a USB2/Firewire port fit the bill? I presume Apple will make their DVD player and the Mac HDCP compliant of course which doesn't necessarily follow as it's took them years to even acknowledge 3rd party DVD burners in their software..
  • Reply 269 of 283
    Quote:

"Connect game consoles to your Mac

Connect your game console and enjoy an excellent live play experience – EyeTV Hybrid’s uncompressed analog video signals appear on the screen with zero latency. "

How does that help using the PS3's HD output?

I'm not sure if I'd trust Apple's HD-DVD or BluRay player. Their standard DVD player is sluggish and they've paid no attention to deinterlacing quality. An external HDMI input would offer a decent choice in case they botch something or don't offer something that I want.

Then there's HD satellite or HD cable that the EyeTV won't help with so it's not a complete solution.
  • Reply 270 of 283
    Quote:

How does that help using the PS3's HD output?

Not out for the best part of a year yet. I'm sure something will crop up for HD input.

Quote:

I'm not sure if I'd trust Apple's HD-DVD or BluRay player. Their standard DVD player is sluggish and they've paid no attention to deinterlacing quality. An external HDMI input would offer a decent choice in case they botch something or don't offer something that I want.

Can't say I've noticed but yes, relying on Apple for 3rd party hardware support is never a good idea.
  • Reply 271 of 283
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Wow, where did you pull that one out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

Read the history section. Apple pretty much sank firewire.
  • Reply 272 of 283
    Quote:

Not out for the best part of a year yet. I'm sure something will crop up for HD input.

Maybe, but I think I'll pass on the idea as a whole. For one, if such a device is made, we don't know how long it will take or at what cost. I can't buy a device based on the hope or promise of an accessory. I'm still waiting for the ExpressCard/34 FW800 card that several sites claim to have gotten reassurances from unnamed compaies that it's really coming. I'm glad that I don't absolutely need it but am disappointed that I can't get it.

It would be nice, but not as nice as a 42" 1080p LCD TV + mini that I would be comparing it against.
  • Reply 273 of 283
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Mine has shipped (9th Sept), should be here soon!
  • Reply 274 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

...But they better get their act together for the next release.

It is one thing for the Mac version to have a separate window for each account/function while the Windows version has one window for everything, but to not be able to import a Windows file into the Mac is unforgivable. Hopefully, Quicken 2008 will be a Universal Binary, total re-write that can import Quicken for Windows files.
  • Reply 275 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimbo123

So the 24 " iMac is not a multimedia solution to me which makes me think that Apple must have a

different solution altogether.

hmmm...wishful thinking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ

Apple has gone on record saying they won't enter a market where someone is making a great product. eyeTV definitely qualifies as great. Therefore...

Just place the eveTV box where you place your speakers. USB extension cords go for what? $10? (that's if you even need one). A VESA mount will definitely allow for room enough to plug stuff in.

But in any case, no one interested in this stuff should buy anything until next Tuesday. By then we'll be able to determine if Apple intends this iMac to be the home theater it could possibly be, or if they have something more direct/dedicated in the pipe.

i know that there will be enough room behind it....(though i'm not sure about the eyetv hybrid) but it's just something that would bug me.

if i was wall mounting it i'd prefer ports on the side.

still...i won't be mounting it so it'll be ok for me.

i just want it NOW!
  • Reply 276 of 283
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmpie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewire

Read the history section. Apple pretty much sank firewire.

Ah... wikipedia, the authoritative source!
  • Reply 277 of 283
    hey about the eyetv hybrid, is it possible to record video from a VCR or a camcorder so then you can edit it with any program!?!?
  • Reply 278 of 283
    That's a question of outputs and inputs. The eyeTV hybrid has composite and coaxial inputs. If your VCR can out put to coaxial, you're in business. Same with a camcorder. There also exist ways to go from component (which is common on camcorders) to coaxial with a bit of effort, so yes.
  • Reply 279 of 283
    ok, thansk! thats what i thought (since i have both outputs) but in the hompage it said it did't have VCR digitalization or sth like that, that's why i asked!

thanks!
  • Reply 280 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

There also exist ways to go from component (which is common on camcorders) to coaxial with a bit of effort, so yes.

I would have to think that any camcorder that can output component can output the DV standard to firewire, or saves to some digital format that can get into the computer without going over the component connections. I don't know of any type of consumer camcorder that can output component but isn't digital too.

Also, any camcorder with component out should be able to output composite and S-video too, you just lose some of the picture quality in the process.