Apple issues new build of Leopard Preview

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156
    Okay, pulled a few. Let me know if images not showing up...

• Reply 62 of 156
    Hmm.. Maybe it's an earlier Beta shot - the last pic above has Windows Defender listed as spyware and malware protection but virus protection is nowhere to be seen.... Anyways...
  • Reply 63 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m01ety

A) +10 points for Battlestar Galactica reference. Frack yeah!

B) Yes, Vista's most recent pre-RC1 build still has the security center. Not much changed from XP. Well, the colors are different. And the fonts. Mostly it.

(A) I anticipate a fan-fracking-tastic Season 3!!! Sooon!!!!

(B) Yeah colors and fonts. That's about it and Windows Defender and built-in antivirus...

Antivirus is NOT in the Beta 2 yet though : "Antivirus support -As part of a sensible approach to helping prevent malware, Microsoft recommends that you use an antivirus application with Windows Vista Beta 2. Information about available antivirus programs can be found on the Microsoft Security At Home website."

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx

I predict the bloody Vista-Antivirus is buggy as f*ck. I mean, it's not even in the latest Beta and they want to ship in what, a few months time? Bloody hell.
  • Reply 64 of 156
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

But vista has MS's new virus, trojan horse, spyware software buily-in. That is a significant difference from XP.

Vista will not ship with anti-virus software. For that, you will need Windows Live OneCare, or a third-party solution. It does, however, ship with Windows Defender, which you can also install (in reduced form) in XP.
  • Reply 65 of 156
    Thanks for clarifying. Geez, another layer of madness that is "Live OneCare". *sigh*
  • Reply 66 of 156
    Of course, for Live OneCare users, Windows will have so many different backup methods that the user will be at a complete loss as to which one(s) to use, and why or why not.

There's the old Backup tool from Windows NT, there's System Restore from ME, there's Previous Verious from Server 2003, there's the new Backup from Vista and there's Live OneCare Backup and Restore.

The first, fourth and fifth apparently have the exact same purpose and workings, whereas the second and third are both quite different (from each other as well).
  • Reply 67 of 156
    Hey I have a question about RC1. I don't have a DVD burner, so is there a way for me to burn the installer onto several CDs, or something? Or are they still offering that "send away for a DVD" thing?

I used Beta 2 for a while, but it simply didn't function as a completed OS, and so I couldn't use it full-time. I hear that RC1 seems much more "complete" though. Is that what you guys find?

It doesn't seem to me that Apple is quite "playing catch up" with Microsoft. But I don't think that Leopard is much better than Vista, either. Both OSes seem about even. I mean, there are some Vista features that I am REALLY jealous of. That Apple has not even made any MENTION of.

I laughed my head off at the WWDC broadcast. Then I invited some friends over to join me. We all laughed together. It was just so SAD, Steve up there dissing Vista like that.. Apple needs to get OVER itself. If you have a better OS, well fine. But no need to go around making sarcastic comments and saying they "ripped you off." I mean, OF COURSE THE MICROSOFT WEB BROWSER LOOKS LIKE SAFARI. THEY'RE BOTH WEB BROWSERS, SHOWING THE SAME WEB PAGE. ALL WEB BROWSERS LOOK THE SAME. Yeesh. And Internet Explorer came out way before Safari, so what is Apple smoking? And the whole search thing? Didn't Microsoft announce that feature for Vista BEFORE Tiger and Spotlight appeared? Just because we shipped it first doesn't mean we thought of it first.

Apple is just so darn cocky, and all these stupid new commercials.. When really, there is nothing to be cocky about! Vista is a REALLY good OS. We ripped off some of their stuff, they stole some of ours. That's how a free market works.

So Apple, if you're gonna be better. then go ahead. Be better. But if you act so arrogant about it, all you accomplish is making everyone hate you.
  • Reply 68 of 156
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turnwrite

Hey I have a question about RC1. I don't have a DVD burner, so is there a way for me to burn the installer onto several CDs, or something? Or are they still offering that "send away for a DVD" thing?

I used Beta 2 for a while, but it simply didn't function as a completed OS, and so I couldn't use it full-time. I hear that RC1 seems much more "complete" though. Is that what you guys find?

It doesn't seem to me that Apple is quite "playing catch up" with Microsoft. But I don't think that Leopard is much better than Vista, either. Both OSes seem about even. I mean, there are some Vista features that I am REALLY jealous of. That Apple has not even made any MENTION of.

I laughed my head off at the WWDC broadcast. Then I invited some friends over to join me. We all laughed together. It was just so SAD, Steve up there dissing Vista like that.. Apple needs to get OVER itself. If you have a better OS, well fine. But no need to go around making sarcastic comments and saying they "ripped you off." I mean, OF COURSE THE MICROSOFT WEB BROWSER LOOKS LIKE SAFARI. THEY'RE BOTH WEB BROWSERS, SHOWING THE SAME WEB PAGE. ALL WEB BROWSERS LOOK THE SAME. Yeesh. And Internet Explorer came out way before Safari, so what is Apple smoking? And the whole search thing? Didn't Microsoft announce that feature for Vista BEFORE Tiger and Spotlight appeared? Just because we shipped it first doesn't mean we thought of it first.

Apple is just so darn cocky, and all these stupid new commercials.. When really, there is nothing to be cocky about! Vista is a REALLY good OS. We ripped off some of their stuff, they stole some of ours. That's how a free market works.

So Apple, if you're gonna be better. then go ahead. Be better. But if you act so arrogant about it, all you accomplish is making everyone hate you.

And what is the point to this silly post?
  • Reply 69 of 156
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    A windows wanker trying to sound like a Mac user.
  • Reply 70 of 156
    Quote:

I mean, there are some Vista features that I am REALLY jealous of. That Apple has not even made any MENTION of.

And what would those be?

7 OS Versions?

Free spyware?

Pay us even more to remove above spyware?

I don't know why Apple hasn't advertised those features too. I'm gonna write an e-mail to Steve Jobs right now.

(I am serious about what those features are though.)
  • Reply 71 of 156
    Quote:

Apple is cocky, it is part of the company culture, and part of the "underdog" culture ingrained in Apple. I think it does generate divisive rather than inclusive feelings sometimes, but they have 1. moved to Intel, 2. let you run Windows on the Mac, 3. become more affordable than ever before. Apple has changed quite radically, and in fact Intel and Windows on a Mac - this would be considered ultra-taboo 5 or even 2 years before the Intel announcement. I have to say I am not a big fan of the TV ads, that is more divisive than inclusive, although it really does attempt to say in simple terms why Macs are better. That it has to bash the PC is a bit grating, because good advertising normally says that you don't put down the competition but playfully and smartly accentuate the advantages of your product.

Quote:

Vista is a REALLY good OS. We ripped off some of their stuff, they stole some of ours. That's how a free market works.

Who is ripping of who is kind of like, yeah, whatever, I mean how many ways can you design the look of a button while people still realising, oh, okay, it's a button I can click on. But Vista a "REALLY good OS", sorry, that's nonsense. It doesn't even come out-of-the-box with a fucking AntiVirus. And the OSX experience is beyond pretty buttons, it's the smoothness and sensible-ness of everything that makes it IMO a superior operating system, as it has been for 3 or more years now.
  • Reply 72 of 156
    OK.

You guys.

Antivirus is good.

But, like, GET OVER IT.

I've had a PC for years and haven't really been troubled by these so-called "viruses." If you're smart, you don't get them. That seems to be the ONLY thing Mac users ever think about. Even watching Apple commercials, it's like, VIRUSES ARE THE ONLY THING ANYONE TALKS ABOUT.

Forget viruses for a sec. What ELSE does Leopard have over Vista? (Don't try and pretend Apple invented file backups, cuz they didn't. Giving it some space background does NOT make it any better. Pretending this is somehow "insanely great" is just the sort of thing that gives Mac users a bad name.)
  • Reply 73 of 156
    One good feature?

Here:

Windows ReadyBoost

It sounded like science fiction the first time I heard about it: Windows Vista includes a feature called ReadyBoost that lets you use a USB 2.0-based flash memory device--typically a USB memory key--to speed up the performance of virtually any Vista PC. After grinning like an idiot for an uncomfortable amount of time, I realized the Microsoft rep telling me about this feature was serious. Huh. Hmm.

Now, there are prerequisites, of course. The USB memory device must meet certain performance and storage characteristics (2.5MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads and 1.75MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes; 64 MB to 8 GB of free space; 256 MB of overall storage or more) which virtually no human being understands or knows how to discover. Don't worry about that stuff too much unless you're literally shopping for a new memory key: Just plug one of your exiting keys into a Vista machine and see if it works.

ReadyBoost works by augmenting your system's memory with the memory on the USB device. The first time you plug in a compatible device, the Vista AutoPlay dialog will present "Speed up my system" as an option (Figure). You can then access the Memory tab of the device's property sheet to determine how much storage space to set aside for ReadyBoost (Figure). Note that this storage will no longer be available for other uses (unless you format the device or change the properties in Vista). You can't use a single key on two or more Vista machines. You can't use two or more USB keys on one PC. And, yes, Vista will recommend how much to set aside. (It typically wants a lot of space, so it may be a good idea to dedicate a USB memory key entire to this project. Hey, they're cheap.)

Why is this good? With a typical desktop PC, it's not necessarily hard to add RAM, but that's not true of most notebooks, and in either case, you may be limited by technical ability and desire, corporate restrictions preventing you from mucking around with your system, or actual hardware limitations where you've already maxed out the system RAM. In any case, you can simply improve the performance of your system by plugging in a compatible USB memory key, configuring it, and getting back to work. Bliss.

There have been some concerns that ReadyBoost will shorten the lifespan of the USB memory key because they're only rated to a certain number of reads and writes. My attitude is, who cares? These things are cheap, and if you're wise, you'll dedicate one solely to this purpose. If it dies, it dies. Get another one. (Besides, Microsoft refutes these claims, noting that its research shows that you will get at ten or more years out of life using ReadyBoost.)

ReadyBoost will give the biggest improvements to low-RAM PCs and, of course, the more storage on the key the matter. Adding a 1 GB USB memory key to a PC with 512 MB of RAM (ugh) will provide dramatic results. Adding the same key to a PC with 4 GB of RAM, well, not so much.

So the bottom line is this. ReadyBoost is a set-it-and-forget-it feature with no downsides at all, a small financial outlay (assuming you don't have a compatible key sitting around; I understand they come in cereal boxes now), and it delivers a nice performance boost. Who could ask for more?
  • Reply 74 of 156
    Want another?

How about being able to run WAY more software, including *gasp* GAMES?
  • Reply 75 of 156
    The eye candy is just as good as OSX, too. It's even 3D eye candy.

So come on.

What does Leopard HAVE that Vista DOES NOT HAVE?

Name something worthwhile. Seriously.
  • Reply 76 of 156
    Quote:

One good feature?

Here:

Windows ReadyBoost

[..] ReadyBoost works by augmenting your system's memory with the memory on the USB device.

As opposed to, gasp, installing more RAM!

Quote:

ReadyBoost will give the biggest improvements to low-RAM PCs

O RLY?

Quote:

Want another?

How about being able to run WAY more software, including *gasp* GAMES?

That's not an OS feature, and especially not one Vista has over XP.
  • Reply 77 of 156
    OBVIOUSLY you can install more RAM into a Mac or a PC. This isn't replacing that. It's just a convenient way to use free space on a flash drive.

I would argue that it IS an OS feature. I mean, can a Mac do it? No. Can Windows? Yup. So....

And name ONE SINGLE LITTLE feature that OSX has over Windows. Please.
  • Reply 78 of 156
    Quote:

OBVIOUSLY you can install more RAM into a Mac or a PC. This isn't replacing that. It's just a convenient way to use free space on a flash drive.

I would argue that it IS an OS feature. I mean, can a Mac do it? No. Can Windows? Yup. So....

Why aren't you banned?
  • Reply 79 of 156
    Please remember, though, that I am myself a MAC USER. I LIKE MACS BETTER. But I am just trying to point out some of the cool things in Windows Vista, and it bugs me when everyone gets all sarcastic and negative rather than admitting that Windows actually has good points, not JUST bad.
  • Reply 80 of 156
    Quote:

Bonjour.