Let's share Mac Pro ship dates

Comments

• Reply 341 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

What do you mean?

I'm having problems with the video drivers in boot camp.. that's about it though.

Are you getting like 640x480 in 8-bit color? I had that, but here's what you do:

1) Go to Control Panel

2) System or something, then hardware

3) When you're looking at the list of hardware devices (with some yellow ?s), click on Display Adapters

4) Click update drivers, then click the advanced option (find them myself)

5) It's in /something/Apple Drivers for Windows/ATI something/0048 (the higher number one, the lower one is the x1600 and a bunch of other older ATI drivers)

6) That should pretty much do it. Then set the resolution (which is a pain in the ass for weird resolutions)

Yeah, those were crappy directions, but I'm tired. That + some thinking should get you through it.
  • Reply 342 of 403
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mordak

Mine also started up when I first plugged it in.

Yeah, that scared me because I hadn't plugged the display in yet.

BTW, I'm having trouble with Boot Camp with the Windows XP CD, it's a burned copy of my friend's copy of Corporate Edition (unlimited license, so no piracy) and I think the name is wrong so Boot Camp doesn't like it. Can I just boot from it with the C key?
  • Reply 343 of 403
    What do you mean the name is wrong ?
  • Reply 344 of 403
    No, you have to use the option-key for some reason (no clue why).

Also, if you are installing Windows on it's own disk (like I did), you have to physically remove the OS X HDD. I think if you do that, you may be able to get the C key to work.
  • Reply 345 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

Got my Mac Pro and will start setting it up in about 5 minutes. I'm a little concerned about blowing a fuse in the building with running both my G5 and Mac Pro on the same circuit but we'll see how it goes.

One weird thing was when I first put the power plug in the Mac Pro it started! At that point nothing else was attached and I had to shut the thing off. Auto power-up after power failure shouldn't be the default config from the factory, but maybe I'm special. Anyone else have this?

Mine did the same thing, and I have seen two other posts saying this. All seems OK now though!
  • Reply 346 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmegatool

What do you mean the name is wrong ?

The name of the disk is ISO because he used Nero or what have you to burn it. I think Boot Camp checks the name.
  • Reply 347 of 403
    I don't know. There is some people who "rebuild" a xp cd to include the chipset and sata drivers to fix the slow hdd problem with boot camp and Mac Pro.

Never heard of a specific name.
  • Reply 348 of 403
    So how do you specifically go about booting from a CD? Alt doesn't seem to work.
  • Reply 349 of 403
    I'll tell you tomorow when I will have my Mac Pro !!!
  • Reply 350 of 403
    Anyone know where I can get the instructions and files that I need slipstream into the windows CD? My Mac Pro should be here sometime next week, and I want to have this done beforehand.
  • Reply 351 of 403
    About the best description and linkies I've seen on this:

http://71.18.168.229/xp.html

Good luck. 8)
  • Reply 352 of 403
    FYI, Boot Camp is now at 1.1.1:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
  • Reply 353 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

Anyone know where I can get the instructions and files that I need slipstream into the windows CD? My Mac Pro should be here sometime next week, and I want to have this done beforehand.

http://www.macproxppics.com/

With screenshots and all. Well explained
  • Reply 354 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Are you getting like 640x480 in 8-bit color? I had that, but here's what you do:

1) Go to Control Panel

2) System or something, then hardware

3) When you're looking at the list of hardware devices (with some yellow ?s), click on Display Adapters

4) Click update drivers, then click the advanced option (find them myself)

5) It's in /something/Apple Drivers for Windows/ATI something/0048 (the higher number one, the lower one is the x1600 and a bunch of other older ATI drivers)

6) That should pretty much do it. Then set the resolution (which is a pain in the ass for weird resolutions)

Yeah, those were crappy directions, but I'm tired. That + some thinking should get you through it.

I can't find that driver anywhere. Could you possibly explain a bit more thoroughly? I'm sitting at 640x400 and 4bit color

Edit: i downloaded the driver from the ATI website, but i kept getting errors when installing, I just unpackaged it and told windows to look for a driver in that folder and that worked great.

Edit#2: Alright so I still have a problem. I can use my ACD as an extended monitor next to my 17" samsung (thats attached with a VGA cord using a dvi converter on the end), but I can't seem to use my ACD as the main monitor when im using XP. when i plug it into the first dvi port, it just stays black. Any ideas?
  • Reply 355 of 403
    My ACD is shipped and has departed from Cali. Lets please please please hope there is not a new one on Sept 25. And there likely will be tho because Aperture's partner product is the ACD.

Since my MacPro hadn't shipped yet I cancelled the pre-order of Aperture on it so I can get the new version (there is almost deff going to be one Sept 25). My original est. ship date was Monday but since the entire Mac Pro was cancelled to change the order the new ship date is the 21st.
  • Reply 356 of 403
    Apple Sales Support called me to confirm that I shipped my RMA'd Pro back. She then proceeded to give me a ship date of 9/21 for my replacement Pro. I whined and she said she could send me a new 4GB Nano for my inconvenience. I'll take it!
  • Reply 357 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scout7id

Apple Sales Support called me to confirm that I shipped my RMA'd Pro back. She then proceeded to give me a ship date of 9/21 for my replacement Pro. I whined and she said she could send me a new 4GB Nano for my inconvenience. I'll take it!

Jeez, that's not a bad deal, considering I won't get mine non-RMA'd MP until Monday. Sorry to hear it was damaged, though.
  • Reply 358 of 403
    Man! I want a free nano!

To bad I can't complain because it was me that requested the order change. At least I won't have an old version of Aperture.

On another note, my sisters MacBook Pro's HD failed after 2 months so after 1 day of on the phone with Apple support they issued a repair. I sent it in this tuesday, and I got it back on Friday. I was very impressed with the speed of the repair.
  • Reply 359 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball

At least I won't have an old version of Aperture.

I think you made the right call on this. Out of curiousity, do you think they might have upgraded your copy for free if you had bought a couple weeks prior to the update? (ie. show receipts, yadda yadda)
  • Reply 360 of 403
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SharkBait

I think you made the right call on this. Out of curiousity, do you think they might have upgraded your copy for free if you had bought a couple weeks prior to the update? (ie. show receipts, yadda yadda)

I don't know. I would be inclined to think yes simply because I just bought a Mac Pro, and they value their pro customers immensly.

I hope that the Aperture update isnt like, "Will ship in a month or two", or is "Aperture 1.2, We changed exactly three things!"

I have one more question:

check here for the question