L2 Cache (per processor)t4 MB

Memoryt1 GB

Bus Speedt667 MHz

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset ModeltATY,RadeonX1600

TypetDisplay

BustPCIe

VRAM (Total)t128 MB

Just got it today. I actually bought the $2500 2.16 Core Duo with 1GB of RAM and the 256MB VRAM like 4 days ago, The day before the Core 2's came out... Absolutely horrible timing on my part... Anyway, So I used that extensively until I was able to go back and exchange it for the Core 2 of the same price. But after using the Core Duo for those 3 days, I got a feel for what I really used it for. So I got the lower end Core 2 and kept the $250 price difference for potential upgrades to this one.

And boy am I blown away... Since I'd already gotten used to the Core Duo, I wasn't expecting much of a speed bump to the 2.16 Core 2 Duo. But Yikes!

I'm starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my World of Warcraft install on the Core Duo, because with all the settings turned up minus AA on OS X 10.4.8, I was getting 35-50FPS with a little bit of lagging loading new areas. Which I thought was respectable. And to be honest, with this Core 2 Duo's VRAM being half of the Core Duo, I expected about the same performance, if not worse.

Boy was I wrong. I'm now getting anywhere from 90 to 160fps using the EXACT same graphics settings. Averaging at about 120-130fps. I traveled from the Undercity to Orgrimmar and beyond. I even went on a raid. The FPS NEVER dipped below 85fps on max settings at 1440x900. It's not even a fresh install. I just copied the WoW folder and prefs over from the Core Duo to the Core 2 Duo.

I got a 2nd gig of RAM for this one but haven't installed it yet. So I can't wait to see what it'll do then. Is the GPU clocked higher or something? Because This just doesn't seem like it could be right.

As for general usage, The fan is just a tad louder than the Core Duo's. But the system feels cooler to the touch under stress. No detectable whining or "mooing". the default colorsync seems to be better tuned. The keys actually feel better. I had to press down a little harder than I was used to on the Core Duo keyboard to get it to register. This seems to be fixed. The DVD drive is much quieter than the previous PowerBook G4 and Macbook drives. And the UI is "teh snappy".

Over all, I'm very pleased with the Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. Definitely worth the asking price.
  • Reply 22 of 173
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    I have a few questions if you pro buyers would be so kind:

1) Did anyone who bought a new macpro end up with any bad/dead pixels?

2) Anyone who got a glossy computer for the first time have any thoughts on the decision?

Thanks,

Corey
  • Reply 23 of 173
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Smashbros fan, according to mac rumors the ATI X1600 Core clock is 418.50 and Memory clock is 450.00. I think they were something like 350 in the previous rev that you returned.
  • Reply 24 of 173
    first post, but i just wanted to be helpful for anyone wondering.

shipment notification of oct 29th and estimated ship date nov 1

specs that i ordered:

15" 2.33ghz

glossy widescreen

160gb 5400rpm

2gb ram
  • Reply 25 of 173
    Recap:

ordered a 15" 2.16ghz

matte screen

120gb 5400rpm

1gb ram

ordered on Oct. 24th, received on Oct. 27th

speedy computer. have not noticed any heat issues yet (haven't palyed any games or done anything in photoshop though). has stayed relatively cool when sitting on my lap, and that was after if was running for 5 hours while i transfered stuff from my old computer onto it. no dead pixels on the screen.
  • Reply 26 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YS2003

It seems the majority of Apple Stores don't have 15" and 17" C2D MBP in stock yet. I want to check up the ones at the Apple Store before I make a purchasing decision. Apple announced the launch of C2D MBP on Tuesday. I think their own stores should have recieved some shipments by now. Can someone confirm on the C2D MBP sighting at the Apple Stores?

i went to the bridgewater commons Apple store in NJ on thursday and though one of the sales guy told me they didnt have any c2d on display, when i checked one of the 2 15 in. mbps sitting there, one of them turned out to be a c2d mpb. so i got a chance to play around with it and it was nice.

ordered a 15 in 2.33 ghz 2 gb ram, 160 gb hdd, w/glossy screen on the 24th and still getting an estimated ship date of 10/31....this week's gonna be torturous...
  • Reply 27 of 173
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I was thinking about selling my 10 month old iMac G5 20" and replacing it with a MacBook Pro, either a Core Duo 2 or possibly a refurb Core Duo original. The reason I got the iMac was that I have a Windows Laptop for work (Dell..ugh) and I didn't really want two laptops. However, I think I'd get more use out of a mobile, particularly with my bluetooth phone. Hmmm...I can't decide!

My iMac is probably worth 1250. I was thinking about spending $1600 on a top end refurb book. What do you think? I don't really need it, but who cares?
  • Reply 28 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fongyuen

ordered a 15 in 2.33 ghz 2 gb ram, 160 gb hdd, w/glossy screen on the 24th and still getting an estimated ship date of 10/31....this week's gonna be torturous...

Next time you buy a car opt-out of the undercoating and heated seats. Then you've more than paid for that notebook that you'll be using every day for the next 3 years.
  • Reply 29 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fongyuen

....this week's gonna be torturous...

For me too. My new 2.33 with 160 gig HD and the non-glossy screen was supposed to ship Tomorrow, but is now somewhere between Shanghi and Washington, DC. I have fedex.com open at work and have been hitting refresh every 15 minutes.

On one hand I think it's such an interesting insight into the excesses of modern civiliation that we can't end poverty but for $15 they will two day express a computer all the way around the world, on the other hand I would have paid for overnight!
  • Reply 30 of 173
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001

My iMac is probably worth 1250. I was thinking about spending $1600 on a top end refurb book. What do you think? I don't really need it, but who cares?

i've seen used iMac 20" core duo's sell for less than $1000, so your G5 might be a very tough nut to sell in this current market, the upgrades are so much better. I'm not saying your G5 is a bad machine, quite the contrary, but its not quite as fast or flexible with as many options as the current core 2 duo or previous core duo generation.

and, you can get a refurbished 20" core duo with 1 year of apple care for $1199. Something to think about.

but, yes, if you can, get one of the new models, they are really quite nice.
  • Reply 31 of 173
    Ordered mine the day of the announcemnt- Apple site says not shipping until 11/07- why do I have to wait so long here in Saint Louis?
  • Reply 32 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbrowdy

Ordered mine the day of the announcemnt- Apple site says not shipping until 11/07- why do I have to wait so long here in Saint Louis?

What's the configuration? It seems that the glossy screens and faster HDs are taking longer.
  • Reply 33 of 173
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

i've seen used iMac 20" core duo's sell for less than $1000, so your G5 might be a very tough nut to sell in this current market, the upgrades are so much better. I'm not saying your G5 is a bad machine, quite the contrary, but its not quite as fast or flexible with as many options as the current core 2 duo or previous core duo generation.

and, you can get a refurbished 20" core duo with 1 year of apple care for $1199. Something to think about.

but, yes, if you can, get one of the new models, they are really quite nice.

Ones spec'd like mine are going for about $1250. It is 20", 2.0GHZ, 1.5GB of RAM, perfect condition. I'd also throw some software and some extras in. However, a new MacBook will cost me $2400 or so, at least. Hmmm. I have the itch. Maybe that old Verizon stock (maybe $1000) needs to be sold! That would get me there!

SDW
  • Reply 34 of 173
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

I got a shipment notification this morning. I paid for 2-day shipping and it will be here November 1st. (There was no overnight shipping option when I ordered).

15", Matte display, 3GB RAM, 160gb drive.

Steve

Although the estimate was delivery on Wednesday the 1st, it was delivered at 8:44am today (Monday)!!

Steve

(Los Angeles)
  • Reply 35 of 173
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    I got a shipment notification yesterday Sunday that my 2.33 15.4 with glossy screen was shipped yesterday, and I requested 2 day shipping but still it is saying that it will be shipped Wednesday Nov 2nd. I requested 2 day shipping but still it is taking 3 plus days. Hope they ship before. Online status on fedex still shows only that it was picked from Shanghai but nothing has been updated since the last 12 hours.
  • Reply 36 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Although the estimate was delivery on Wednesday the 1st, it was delivered at 8:44am today (monday)

I wish you hadn't said that, now my hopes are up....
  • Reply 37 of 173
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Paid for mine in Tokyo the day they came out and still waiting for the 17". Let you know how it works out, I guess, when everyone else gets theirs!
  • Reply 38 of 173
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

I wish you hadn't said that, now my hopes are up....

Are you scheduled for Wednesday delivery? Did you pay for 2-day delivery? If so maybe you will get it Tuesday, since you are living on the east coast.

Let us know.

Steve
  • Reply 39 of 173
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    My Macbook Pro just reached AK, does anyone know how long can it take to be delivered once it reaches AK based on their fedex tracking results. I know I am acting silly but just curious and impatient.
  • Reply 40 of 173
    Depends where you are...