Got your MBP C2D? Let us know....

Comments

• Reply 81 of 173
    If you have presentations to do you could use it for that.

Sorry, I'm probably not much help because I don't use a my laptop in class, though I might when I get my MPB on the 25th (after exams).
  • Reply 82 of 173
    I ordered online the day of the announcement and the check-order-status says it will be shipped Nov 7th..

Has anyone received a 17" already (and will the retail stores get them earlier than me waiting for it to be delivered? I have called a few local apple stores and they don't have the new 17"'s yet)
  • Reply 83 of 173
    Sweet! mbp is on truck for delivery! one day ahead of schedule! it was still in AK yesterday, i thought for sure it'd be friday. ok, just wanted to share.
  • Reply 84 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

This thing is freakin SWEET....

(MBP 2.33Ghz, 2gig, 160...)

It's sooooooo beautiful!!!

MBP 2.33Ghz, 3GB Ram, 120 GB HD

Scheduled to be delivered today, Fedex attempted yesterday. 1 day early!!!

(Now I just need a buyer or my MacBook... )
  • Reply 85 of 173
    First complaint: I have was sitting in the living room watching lost and my wireless reception seemed really weak. So I tinkered with the router, took it off the wall and set it atop the desk, and the change was minimal. So I sat my old iBook next to the new one, and the iBook appeared to have better airport reception. Assuming (hoping?) it's the metal case, and something to do with the draft .11N card.

Still can't migrate my playlists, so I have yet to plug my iPod into it.
  • Reply 86 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kzelk4

I currently use an iMac (first mac...never going back to windows besides the occasional game through bootcamp) and I was thinking about picking up a laptop for school next year. (the iMac technically is my dads so it's either laptop or iMac next year). Anywho, just wondering for those of you that own a laptop and actually use it for class for notes and what not, is it better for note taking in class? I am just so used to writing with a pen, I dunno how it actually works out. Also, do you use it for anything else in class besides note taking? Thanks.

I graduated in '05 (not too long ago) and at the time it was pretty uncommon to see people taking notes on a laptop. Personally, I always liked paper and pencil because I think it is faster and I like to draw lots of boxes, lines, arrows, etc. (chem major). Presentations were never a problem either. Every classroom had computers and projectors so you could just download and present. The only time I really wished I had a laptop was when I was working on group projects in the library. Yes, there were computers to use, but it was a pain in the ass to constantly upload and download files from my webspace. Also, with the campus wide wireless connection people with laptops could work outside on nice days, which is something I never could take advantage of.
  • Reply 87 of 173
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mowenbrown

First complaint: I have was sitting in the living room watching lost and my wireless reception seemed really weak. So I tinkered with the router, took it off the wall and set it atop the desk, and the change was minimal. So I sat my old iBook next to the new one, and the iBook appeared to have better airport reception. Assuming (hoping?) it's the metal case, and something to do with the draft .11N card.

I hope that this won't be an issue with my EVDO card, although it will sit outside in the Express slot. As it is right now in my Pismo only gets 2 bars at work, to get less would be pathetic.
  • Reply 88 of 173
    Quote:

I currently use an iMac (first mac...never going back to windows besides the occasional game through bootcamp) and I was thinking about picking up a laptop for school next year. (the iMac technically is my dads so it's either laptop or iMac next year). Anywho, just wondering for those of you that own a laptop and actually use it for class for notes and what not, is it better for note taking in class? I am just so used to writing with a pen, I dunno how it actually works out. Also, do you use it for anything else in class besides note taking? Thanks.

I have to agree with jiggz on this... I tried to use ms word, omni-outliner and some mind mapping software when I was in grad school, and the formatting and other stuff you have to do is a pain in the ass. Howver, after class I was religious about re-tyoing my notes, and integrating notes from the reading into my class notes. Then you really have the time to clean them, add diagrams, and link concepts from the lecture together. The best part is really the increased retention from both writting and typing them.

When it comes to the classroom, we have yet to improve on the pencil and spiral bound notebook. But you really can't beat the freedom of having a laptop to use around campus, and to work where you want to work. I would reccomend that you get a lock and cable and keep in your bag - as a macbook pro has legs on a college campus
  • Reply 89 of 173
    i got mine yesterday morning! it wasn't supposed to get here til today, but it came a day early, which was FANTASTIC. i love it. i got the lower end version with glossy screen and 160 gig hard drive. it was scheduled to ship in 3-5 days and it shipped in 4... and then i opted for 2-3 day shipping, and it even missed the fedex delivery out of shanghai and still got here in 2 days. it was amazing. tuesday afternoon it was in alaska, wednesday morning it was in my hands. as a first-time glossy screen user, i think its amazing. i was really torn between glossy and matte, but i decided to opt for the glossy, and i'm glad i did. its wonderfully vivid, and you don't really notice the glare unless you're looking for it, and of course if its actually in direct light. it does run a little warm, not untolerably so, since i haven't used it for strenuous tasks yet, but i can imagine it getting very toasty. and like someone else mentioned, its primarily on the left side around the speaker that it's hottest. one thing i am kind of concerned about is my wireless signal. it seems like when i first connect i have full bars, and then eventually it settles into about 2. normally i wouldn't think much of it, but one of my friends has a rev A MBP and he gets full bars when he's sitting right next to me... i'm wondering if its because of the inclusion of the draft-n cards... i don't know. is anyone else having a similar issue? the battery life is also obviously not what i'd hope it would be, but since the screen is so bright on full, i can turn it way down and save a LOT of battery life, and the screen is still quite bright-- brighter than my friends screens who have dell's and such. other than that, its great, i can't wait to start using FCP and even counterstrike on it eventually. :-D
  • Reply 90 of 173
    Quote:

It depends on what class you are taking notes in. History, english and govt are great for typing notes. Anything with daigrams or math you should stick with pen and paper. I use my pbook for the required liberal arts classes, and paper for the engineering stuff. I do use the computer all the time for engineering stuff, either excel, matlab, word or ppt. You can't go wrong, and plus you don't have to worry about going to the computer lab at school cause you'll already have a computer.

on another note, I need to sell my excellent 12" pbook 1.5 ghz. I have a work computer that I use and my tandem pump is leaking oil in my tdi...sigh.
  • Reply 91 of 173
    Now Fex Ex is saying it won't arrive 'till the 6th. Don't the dorks ship on weekends? So much for two day shipping. I'm quite displeased.
  • Reply 92 of 173
    Quote:

Still can't migrate my playlists, so I have yet to plug my iPod into it.

So, plugged-in to the wall no reception issues? Anyone else notice the same thing?
  • Reply 93 of 173
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwave

Now Fex Ex is saying it won't arrive 'till the 6th. Don't the dorks ship on weekends? So much for two day shipping. I'm quite displeased.

Then respectfully, you don't understand FedEx. They do not ship on weekends normally. Apple even told me that weekends don't count for two day shipping. You shouldn't be displeased. It's how things are supposed to be.
  • Reply 94 of 173
    I have a question, re: Fedex 2-day shipping... if it takes, like, 5 days, do I get my money back? I ordered my MBPC2D on last Friday and it has yet to arrive, so it will be 5 business days at least until it arrives...
  • Reply 95 of 173
    Bugger hell. It doesn't help that my birthday's Sunday. Kind of a slight, although not Apple's fault. Haha.
  • Reply 96 of 173
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

So, plugged-in to the wall no reception issues? Anyone else notice the same thing?

If you get the router too close to your computer, you can actually get worse reception. I have my core2duo macbook pro about 40 or 50 feet from my belkin pre-n router, and I get good reception (all 4 bars lit up on the top bar icon).
  • Reply 97 of 173
    Hi. I just received my MBP Core 2 Duo 15" 2.16 today. For the most part, everything seems good. It runs considerably cooler than the MBP Core Duo I previously owned. It seems speedy, although I haven't had much time to test it out.

I have an issue with the screen and I am wondering if a few you guys could help me out. Being a long time owner of Apple portables, I have learned to best assess the quality of the screen by changing the desktop background to either Apple solid aqua dark blue or solid grey dark. The screen I ended up with is mediocre. There are no pixel defects, but there are horizontal and vertical dark areas that can only be seen if you know what to look for and specifically when using the aforementioned solid colors (they aren't particularly bad on this screen. I have had better and worse). That aside, I also observe dark horizontal lines that shoot out on both sides of an open window on the screen. They move with the window and they are most noticable towards the top. You really have to be looking for it to notice it.

Could some of you fellow MBP owners check your screens on these solid colors and see if you notice a similar phenomenom? If this is common, I won't bother with it. I like my screens as perfect as possible seeing as how I just dropped $2000 on this. I upgrade just about every major upgrade. The screen on my last MBP was absolutely perfect and did no exhibit this (it took some fighting with Apple, but they finally gave me a perfect screen). Sorry for the novel. Thanks.
  • Reply 98 of 173
    currently debating the upgrade... have an offer of ¥130,000 (about $1,300) for my powerbook g4 12" with 1.25gb ram and one more year of applecare. i want the middle model so that would be about another ¥180k ($1,800) investment

also, supply is a little short so i might be left without a machine at all for a week or so

tricky!
  • Reply 99 of 173
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I have a question, re: Fedex 2-day shipping... if it takes, like, 5 days, do I get my money back? I ordered my MBPC2D on last Friday and it has yet to arrive, so it will be 5 business days at least until it arrives...

No, the 2 days start when it ships from Apple.

Steve
  • Reply 100 of 173
    It shipped on Monday...