Got your MBP C2D? Let us know....

Comments

• Reply 101 of 173
    Usually FedEx is pretty damn quick with their shipments. My iPod shipped to my uncle's home far ahead of the estimated delivery date, but no one was home on that day. For some strange reason FedEx didn't bother making a second attempt until some three or four business days later. Just hang tight, you aren't going to be getting your money back :P
  • Reply 102 of 173
    ah finally, mine (2.33 ghz, 160 gb, glossy) is finally here and i just opened it this morning. here are some pictures of the opening ceremony calibrating the battery now, can't wait to take it for a spin.

yeah, FedEx was pretty quick, they delivered it one day ahead of schedule for me, too.
  • Reply 103 of 173
    Ordered a 2.16Ghz 15" with 160GB HD on the day they came out (24th oct). Shipped on the 27th oct. Using the tracking at apecode.com, it almost flew out of Shanghai on the 30th, but the plane was too full, and then they had an aircraft or truck failure (they're not specific). Net result: it's been sitting in Shanghai for the last week, and has only just got on a plane. I'm hoping it will arrive sometime next week (Apple originally said the 7th, but that's been pushed back to the 8th and now the 9th).

I'm in the UK, where expedited shipping wasn't available.
  • Reply 104 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

It shipped on Monday...

Enjoy the wait. There are quite a few of us in AI land that can only dream of purchasing what you will soon have.
  • Reply 105 of 173
    My Industry Night/Grad show is on Monday... I'd REALLY like it by then. OK, whining over... grumble... mumble...

edit: Hey SoopaDrive, what kinda tunes do you spin?
  • Reply 106 of 173
    Turns out mine's here Monday after all - but it's in Canada now, at least.

I called and complained about being mislead as to the ship time I was paying for and got 10 dollars off, nicely.

God this wait is awful.
  • Reply 107 of 173
    jinixjinix Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Battles

It runs considerably cooler than the MBP Core Duo I previously owned.

that's what I've been hearing all the time. Sounds great!

In fact, I read at another forum that the temperature dropped down by about 10 degrees. He presumed that it's because of the faster fan-speed. The Core Duo he owned had a fanspeed of 1000, but the Core 2 Duo is 2000 most of the times.

What's even more beautiful is that it's not like it's noisy or something. It's very hard to notice and quite similar to Core Duo despite the fact that the fanspeed is double the fast.
  • Reply 108 of 173
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinix

that's what I've been hearing all the time. Sounds great!

In fact, I read at another forum that the temperature dropped down by about 10 degrees. He presumed that it's because of the faster fan-speed. The Core Duo he owned had a fanspeed of 1000, but the Core 2 Duo is 2000 most of the times.

What's even more beautiful is that it's not like it's noisy or something. It's very hard to notice and quite similar to Core Duo despite the fact that the fanspeed is double the fast.

I use the smcFanControl utility to set my fan speed minimum to 3K, which is a subtle whooshing noise. My CPU temparature stays in the 52-56C range, and occasionally goes above that (which causes the fans to go full out, which is quite loud at 6000 rpm) - but it does it less often the higher you set the minimum fan speed.
  • Reply 109 of 173
    Laptop notetaking is great if you happen to be doing law, you can get into a database and actually read the cases they're talking about, cut and paste extracts etc.

I was relying on a distributor for my C2D, as I like having a point of contact (they're also a repair centre). They somewhat dropped the ball getting mine in but the manager seems to be taking care of it for me. I will be patient.

I went for the matte screen in a line-ball judgment, as far as I can tell, some people say glossy is good, some say it's bad. Noone says matte is bad, just some like it less. I want to get a cinema screen anyway, so I guess I should get used to matte anyway.
  • Reply 110 of 173
    I was in an AppleStore lately, and saw matt and glossy MBP's sitting next to each other. I could clearly see the difference - the glossy reflected a lot more light, meaning that it was harder for me to see what it was actually displaying, whereas the matt hardly reflected anything and it was much easier to read what it was displaying. I'm glad I decided to go for a matt on my MBP (whenever it arrives... )

Over the last 4 years, I've taken notes in physics lectures - text, math and diagrams. I found that taking down plain text was much quicker than writing it - meaning I was able to listen to the lecturer more. Maths was slower than writing it, but the speed of writing text more than made up for it. I was using MathType for the math. Diagrams were where problems came in - I have yet to find a decent bit of software that can take down doodlings on a graphics tablet well enough. I ended up drawing the diagrams on bits of paper, and digitising them later. I've written a blog post about it here if anyone wants to read more about my method of taking notes in lectures.
  • Reply 111 of 173
    It seems like most MBP deliveries to Europe are a bit delayed.. Anyone here apart from myself and Mike Peel from Europe to confirm this?

So far date of delivery is 12'Th of November to Denmark. \

PS. I'm studying to be a secondary school teacher (Math, English, Biology, Geography/Religion) - can anyone recommend some good MindMapping software for Mac? Any more thoughts on Mathtype for Mac? Additional MUST own educational software?

Thanks on advance
  • Reply 112 of 173
    taddotaddo Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sororca

It seems like most MBP deliveries to Europe are a bit delayed.. Anyone here apart from myself and Mike Peel from Europe to confirm this?

PS. I'm studying to be a secondary school teacher (Math, English, Biology, Geography/Religion) - can anyone recommend some good MindMapping software for Mac? Any more thoughts on Mathtype for Mac? Additional MUST own educational software?

Thanks on advance

I ordered a 15" 2.33 ghz Glossy screen MPB on wednesday (1st) in England, they estimated the shipping date would be 8th and the date of delivery as the 15th. However, I received notification yesterday that it shipped and would arrive on the 9th, almost a week early!
  • Reply 113 of 173
    kfdankfdan Posts: 81member
    Japan deliveries of the 17" seem delayed as well. Mine is slated to arrive on the 14th of Nov.
  • Reply 114 of 173
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sororca

Ordered mine (15" MBP 2.33Ghz non BTO) the 25th of October, Still no confirmation from my reseller when I can expect it to arrive.
  • Reply 115 of 173
    Ok... I'm a little shakey after pushing that confirm button. Just over 3K with all the extras (battery, apple care, bigger HD, tax)... and that's WITH the student discount

I just ordered my brand spanking new MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.33GHz with 160Gb HD about 2min ago. Everything should arrive by Nov 15th.

I've been a PC user for many many years, so this is doubly scary. I have almost no experience with OSX so I'm sure I'll be back crying for help once I get it
  • Reply 116 of 173
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funklord

I've been a PC user for many many years,

Now that is scary!!!
  • Reply 117 of 173
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggz

I graduated in '05 (not too long ago) and at the time it was pretty uncommon to see people taking notes on a laptop. Personally, I always liked paper and pencil because I think it is faster and I like to draw lots of boxes, lines, arrows, etc. (chem major). Presentations were never a problem either. Every classroom had computers and projectors so you could just download and present. The only time I really wished I had a laptop was when I was working on group projects in the library. Yes, there were computers to use, but it was a pain in the ass to constantly upload and download files from my webspace. Also, with the campus wide wireless connection people with laptops could work outside on nice days, which is something I never could take advantage of.

You should have seen how uncommon it was for me...I was in undergrad from 94-99. The web almost didn't exist in 1994. We only got e-mail in the fall of 1995, and it sucked ass. NO ONE had a laptop. Most people had word processors. The dorms only had internet in small computer labs of 5 machines or so. They've since been wired, of course.
  • Reply 118 of 173
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Battles

Hi. I just received my MBP Core 2 Duo 15" 2.16 today. For the most part, everything seems good. It runs considerably cooler than the MBP Core Duo I previously owned. It seems speedy, although I haven't had much time to test it out.

I have an issue with the screen and I am wondering if a few you guys could help me out. Being a long time owner of Apple portables, I have learned to best assess the quality of the screen by changing the desktop background to either Apple solid aqua dark blue or solid grey dark. The screen I ended up with is mediocre. There are no pixel defects, but there are horizontal and vertical dark areas that can only be seen if you know what to look for and specifically when using the aforementioned solid colors (they aren't particularly bad on this screen. I have had better and worse). That aside, I also observe dark horizontal lines that shoot out on both sides of an open window on the screen. They move with the window and they are most noticable towards the top. You really have to be looking for it to notice it.

Could some of you fellow MBP owners check your screens on these solid colors and see if you notice a similar phenomenom? If this is common, I won't bother with it. I like my screens as perfect as possible seeing as how I just dropped $2000 on this. I upgrade just about every major upgrade. The screen on my last MBP was absolutely perfect and did no exhibit this (it took some fighting with Apple, but they finally gave me a perfect screen). Sorry for the novel. Thanks.

I dont know if I just can't see it, but I don't seem to have any....
  • Reply 119 of 173
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    OK, it's here dude!

I am typing on it now. So far all is good...I transferred everything via firewire, which took about 2.5 hours. the only minor flaw is that the right side of the screen is ever so slightly darker when viewing it head on. It's barely noticeable...but I'm a freak like that. The keryboard is great and the whole system is very snappy. Unlike others I do here the fans coming on here and there. They are certainly quiet.

Overall interface performance seems much faster than my G5 iMac. Apps load faster and the net is much faster! As I said, the only weird thing is that screen...slightly darker on the right side. I am still trying to figure out if I'm imagining it.
  • Reply 120 of 173
    Finally got mine as well. Mine's a standard 15" with a glossy screen and HOLY FUDSJ is it gorgeous.

To say I'm totally and utterly in love would be a HUGE understatement.

I've only had one problem so far, but that's likely the fault of my audio hardware and not the Mac itself.

Glossy screen, by the way, is IMPECCABLE. Even better than the Sony glossy 450nit screen next to it. I'm SO impressed.