Macworld San Francisco 2007

Comments

• Reply 21 of 256
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

I think people are expecting too many things and they will all get pissed off and disappointed. Historically I don't think Apple announces anything beyond two new hardware products or new designs for current products at MWSF.

So is either iPhone and widescreen iPod

MacMini smaller format and iphone

and so on. 2 products guys

I agree; two hardware products at best. It's just fun to hope for more, even if that's not what will happen.

What makes anyone think there would be a smaller format Mac mini?! With iTV in the works, there's going to be serious need for massive storage in Apple's computers. It won't fit in the current mini.

The mini and the iMac are geared toward the consumer crowd iTV is intended for. If the mini was to change I'd expect it to grow a bit larger if anything, allowing room for a big 300-500GB hard drive to store all of the movies Apple wants us to buy. Apple is all about elegant solutions so they wouldn't expect you to have an external drive connected to your Mac just to enjoy all of the benefits of iTV. Would they?

All of this is what makes me think Apple needs to introduce a mid-range headless with enough room for the necessary storage required for a bunch of movies. Really, in the long run that means space for two drives; not just one. The mini would probably remain as it is, for buyers on a budget; not necessarily for iTV customers.

I know the mid-range headless subject has been beaten to death but iTV seems like a reason for such a Mac to exist. Perhaps Apple will continue to think the iMac is the best solution for iTV people. I hope not.
  • Reply 22 of 256
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 23 of 256
    Sebastian- Great post. You've mentioned nearly everything under the sun.

I like your detail regarding software; well thought out. If a few of those things happen it will be great.

Don't expect an "apology" for iTunes 7. It runs just fine on my machines. I don't know what's up with the problems you mention but has Apple ever apologized for anything?

You start by confirming iTV as being the one and only hardware product to expect. Then you finish with one, or maybe two iPods and a MacBook. Hmmm.

Isn't the prediction business fun?!!
  • Reply 24 of 256
    I disagree somewhat about iTV at MWSF; while NAB is primarily for broadcasting professionals, it's also the place to preview it to bigshots Apple may need in order to ensure a successful launch.

I think the big thing holding up iTV is the lack of a completed 802.11n standard. I don't think Apple wants to put the average consumer through a firmware upgrade if they can help it.
  • Reply 25 of 256
    Just to amplify my last comment a bit further, keep an eye on what Panasonic is doing.

After the initial problems with DVC Pro video, Apple and Panasonic have managed to cooperate on a number of issues concerning video and computers. The early days of DV and computers were fraught with driver issues and video codecs until Panasonic and Apple got together to work out those issues. The late Charles McConathy (sp?) of ProMax also played a major role in getting DV to work on the Mac as well as it does.

But, I'll say it again. Keep an eye on what Panasonic is doing, and one might obtain hints as to what Apple is doing. Sony is a direct competitor of Apple's in a way Panasonic isn't; they haven't played nicely together for a while.
  • Reply 26 of 256
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 27 of 256
    I wonder how this is going to work with the 802.11n. If it is presumed that iTV will be using 802.11n to received streamed content, I wonder how Apple will go about tying all of its other Mac products into the 802.11n fold.

Steve: "Yeah, those Macs you bought from September onward have 802.11n cards, and today Apple is announcing a software update that will make them work natively in the 802.11n standard."
  • Reply 28 of 256
    And for older Macs, iTV has ethernet for wired connection. That means me and millions of others.
  • Reply 29 of 256
    More features about Leopard, a revamped Mac Mini, iTV, and at the end....the big thing being the iPhone or whatever name they're gonna give it. The video iPod is coming this month (Nov.) just when the Zune thought it was beginning to "fly".
  • Reply 30 of 256
    The only way a new video iPod will be introduced before Christmas is if Apple has several million of them already stashed in a warehouse somewhere. Otherwise, it would be foolish to announce an iPod that people can't get in large numbers. Apple is hoping to sell millions, upon millions, upon millions of iPods in the next six weeks. They wouldn't want to screw that up.
  • Reply 31 of 256
    If they just announce all the features of Leopard, I'll be pretty satisfied. They won't release it for sure.
  • Reply 32 of 256
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Apple just announcing new features is enough to take away the limelight from Vista.

While we all are secretly hoping that Apple releases Leopard/ships it by, say, Valentines day, I'm starting to think that just the feature set announcement will be simple.

I think I'll go list my wishlist for Leopard...

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 33 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

The only way a new video iPod will be introduced before Christmas is if Apple has several million of them already stashed in a warehouse somewhere. Otherwise, it would be foolish to announce an iPod that people can't get in large numbers. Apple is hoping to sell millions, upon millions, upon millions of iPods in the next six weeks. They wouldn't want to screw that up.

That's true. Plus, Apple likely wants to get away from the Fall introduction schedule that they stuck to in 2006, carried over from 2005. Introducing a new iPod at Macworld will reinvigorate iPod sales at a time that they would normally experience a precipitous drop, like this year. One other thing that came to mind was the possibility that the new iPod could integrate in some way with iTV--it makes more sense to launch the two together if that's the case, rather than do things piecemeal.
  • Reply 34 of 256
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    1. Mac Cube

2. Cheaper & Better Cinema Displays

3. Entirely new MacBook Pro

iShan.
  • Reply 35 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

One other thing that came to mind was the possibility that the new iPod could integrate in some way with iTV--it makes more sense to launch the two together if that's the case, rather than do things piecemeal.

This is the only idea for a wireless iPod that I would consider good. But I doubt it will happen simply because the iTV is what? $400? An iPod on top of that would be $700 total, at least. OUCH!
  • Reply 36 of 256
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

1. Mac Cube

2. Cheaper & Better Cinema Displays

3. Entirely new MacBook Pro

iShan.

Please give that cube thing a rest would you. The cube is dead. The Mini is faster than the cube was back then, so they wont make the Mini any bigger.
  • Reply 37 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

Panasonic? The last company I would expect to be studying as I never really cared to look at them. I'll be sure to do a basic background search though, but it may not be needed because Apple is leaving a nice trail of bread crumbs to follow.

EDIT:

Google News only turns up news about their Cameras, one of their Executives dying, and other electronics.

I assume you are referring to Final Cut Studio?

Sorry to take as long as I did to get back to you. I don't frequent AI much these days.

AFAIK, Panasonic and Apple are doing quite a bit of donkey-work to pump video onto your computer and elsewhere. It's not the type of work that necessarily shows up in a Google search; you'd have to visit some pro video-related trade shows to get the sort of insight you need for speculation. In saying this, I must say I haven't been to a video trade show in some time. So take my comments for what they're worth.

Anyway, the Apple/Panasonic tie-up goes back to before FCP was invented. Panasonic had made a VTR that debuted at SIGGRAPH (the AJ-D230) which had a firewire option card available for it. Using those VTRs to get video into your Mac during that era (anyone here remember Miro's cards?) was punch the buttons and pray sort of deal. This was before Apple and Panasonic realized that Sony was a logical competitor, and got together to make DVC Pro the format to beat in ENG and prosumer markets. I am greatly condensing here, but suffice it to say Panasonic can afford to research things Apple doesn't have the time or competence to research.

So keep an eye on what's going down with Panasonic. You may well glean clues as what might happen with Apple and video.
  • Reply 38 of 256
    In Pages I'd like to see a feature allowing publishing of documents to a hard bound book just like we can do with iPhoto. Why is it that we can publish picture books but we can't publish books from Pages documents? This ought to be resolved.

I would rather Apple just preview more features of Leopard than have them release it prematurely. After all, well be enjoying all the stories of upgrade-hell the windows folks are going through. Let Apple get Leopard right before shipping it.

I'd also like to see some serious improvements in regard to the Mac Mini. If Apple isn't going to give us a headless mid-range Mac, they'd better step up and give us a Mac Mini that will actually handle the mid-range work. I've used a Mac Mini with a 23" Apple display and was underwhelmed by what I saw. This isn't excusable without a headless mid-range mac. Put in a GPU that can push a 23" display and not look cheap. There needs to be room for full sized hard drives. Capacity, capacity, capacity. Apple wants us to buy movies, and songs, download podcasts, and then toss in all the video we shoot ourselves and extensive photo libraries. It seems that Apple forgot the one thing we need with all of these increases in megapixel size and movie purchases. 200GB is the bare minimum for meeting the needs of a mid-range mac, though it's still an insult. 500GB ought to be the focus, 750GB if they are daring.
  • Reply 39 of 256
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sam Damon

So keep an eye on what's going down with Panasonic. You may well glean clues as what might happen with Apple and video.

I was hoping you were referring to their ultraportables (4 models weighing 999g-1490g, 9-15hr battery life, 10.4-14.1" XGA-SXGA+ screens. e.g.: the W5 model weighs 1199g, lasts 12hrs with a 12.1"screen and DVDRW drive, withstands weight up to 100kg. With the top Y5 model, you can even knock an glass of water over the keyboard without killing it). Plus, these are all built domestically (i.e. in Japan) for better QC. I'd have bought one ages ago if they didn't have the wrong startup melody...
  • Reply 40 of 256
    Widescreen iPod

iPhone

iWork with new spreadsheet application

New Mac pros with top of the line model equipped with Blu-ray drive.

C'mon Apple,...gimme gimme gimme!