Apple on track to sell at least 14-15m iPods this quarter

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While it may be too early to make a call on Apple Computer's December quarter iPod sales, investment research firm PiperJaffray has analyzed data from the first month of the quarter (October) and found that it suggests sales could come in between 14 million to 15 million units.

"The 14 million - 15 million unit range is based on various assumptions and is an extrapolation of one month of data, so we believe investors should supplement this data point with other information," analyst Gene Munster told clients Thursday.

He said it's also very important to note that the October data does not include any impact of Apple's new iPod shuffle, which did not begin shipping until the 3rd of November.

Munster, whose current model calls for the Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker to sell 14.7 million iPods in the December quarter, believes the first month of iPod NPD data implies the company is likely to beat his estimates.

"It is likely that the impact of the iPod shuffle, which shipped on November 3, will have a material impact on the November and December NPD data and our current expectations for the quarter could prove to be low," he said.

Indeed, speculation amongst industry watchers has been that the new iPod shuffle could emerge as the dark horse of Apple's digital music player line, due to its surprisingly low price point of $79 and compelling form factor.

While Apple has not provided any real-world feedback on sales of the petite player thus far, its vice president of worldwide marketing, Phil Schiller, said in interview last week that consumer response "has been tremendous."

"The early response and reviews have been phenomenal," he added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ...and the material costs must be less than 1/2 of the previous shuffle. Bigger profits per unit.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Good lord, they're going to sell something like 18-20 million iPods this holiday... if that estimate didn't include the 2G Shuffle.

It's already the #1 seller on Apple's online store.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I just want to use this opportunity to say yet again that I love my new shuffle.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Numbers and profits are two different things, but still it's all good. iPhone here we come.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zedrac

I just want to use this opportunity to say yet again that I love my new shuffle.

I love mine too. I call her Shuffy. She's been good to me and seems to know exactly what kind of music I like. She's simply amazing.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is all very nice and all that, but I'm much more interested in their computer sales numbers.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

This is all very nice and all that, but I'm much more interested in their computer sales numbers.

I'd wager some Zune points that they'll sell over 2 million of the Macs. The MacBook will lead the way.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel

I'd wager some Zune points that they'll sell over 2 million of the Macs. The MacBook will lead the way.

Make that 2 million and one as I just ordered my first mac!

First post! Wh00t.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    That would be nice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed in the hope they break that number, but it would require a big jump in sales.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp

First post! Wh00t.

Hey congrats, welcome to the good side .

Cant wait to order my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro later this month, BTW does anyone know if there are major issues with it yet, like over-heating, exploding batteries, etc.?
  • Reply 11 of 24
    woops.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    16 million.

So says Cubert.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel

ooo can you exchange MS vaporware bucks for zune points? I have too many vaporware bucks...
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackShadowWolf

Hey congrats, welcome to the good side .

Cant wait to order my Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro later this month, BTW does anyone know if there are major issues with it yet, like over-heating, exploding batteries, etc.?

Acording to this review the temperature is about 104 degrees. Which is cooler then other similar notebooks running this chip.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2050940,00.asp
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

Acording to this review the temperature is about 104 degrees. Which is cooler then other similar notebooks running this chip.

To people who think in scientific units for temperature in CPU components, let me tell you that 104°C is way too hot!

Hint: Water freezes at 0°C and boils at 100°C.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb

To people who think in scientific units for temperature in CPU components, let me tell you that 104°C is way too hot!

michaelb I suggest you look at bigdaddyp's location it is in the USA thus water freezes at 32F and boils at 212F and 104 F is 40C

here is a handy link for you to use in the future before commenting http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/conversions.html
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

First post! Wh00t.

Congrats!!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb

That's 105° F.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

...and the material costs must be less than 1/2 of the previous shuffle. Bigger profits per unit.

What are the material costs now? Twenty cents versus twenty five? I think they save a lot mostly by going down to just one or two chips. Apple probably has some room to go down a little in price if they need to.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

There are similar notebooks? My impression is that there's really nothing that's close to similar to MBP.

I wonder if Apple wised up and set more reasonable cooling boundaries on the unit.