Taking Showers...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since I've come to the US and lived in the dorms here, I found out about people's showering habits: very frequent.

Every student I've asked takes at least a shower a day if not two. If I ask if it's really necessary they say ewwww, I want to be clean.

Now, lets face it, are you really that dirty if you don't shower every single day? In the end, it also depends on of course how much you sweat and stuff, but most of the time I don't think it's really necessary to shower every day, especially during the winter when you don't really sweat or get exposed to dirty outside environment (clothes). I think that this dirtiness feeling is just placebo.

The only reason why I'm posting this is because I am rather against daily showers because it really does waste a lot of water. If you think about it, most of the water used is not in cooking or anythnig, but in showering. I remember reading somewhere that the US uses like some large percentage of water something like 40% of the world. I can't remember the exact percentage but I remember being quite shocked.

Moreover, I have heard that showering too much is actually bad for your skin, since it takes off the natural oils or whatever.

AFAIK,(I'm pretty sure, I think) people in Italy and China do not shower as much. Another question is why do people in the US seem to be so conscious about showering? Could it even be social pressure?

So what do you guys think? Is it really neccessary to shower daily? Your thoughts please, I'm trying to make sense of the social behaviour.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    something smells in here
  • Reply 2 of 145
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Sociologically speaking, I think the issue is the way we all remember people who smell bad, and thus have a stake in not getting the same reaction. We're socialized into one bathing excursion per day, by and large. We've all been around that person who NEEDED to shower 2-3 times a day but didn't- and we don't wanna be THAT guy.

• Reply 3 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

...we don't wanna be THAT guy.

That's kinda interesting actually. Now, about THAT guy, where do you see him and how infrequent are you guessing that he takes showers?

I'm guessing THAT guy must really smell becaus it seems to me the general talking distance of people in the US is about an arms length, which is quite far for smell to travel.

So isn't THAT guy an extreme? He musn't have showered for like a week. Now I'm not talking about the extreme, but rather something logically both saving water and enough to keep you not smelling like THAT guy
  • Reply 4 of 145
    rara Posts: 623member
    A couple of things here:

Water is more expensive in other countries, thus they don't shower as frequently.

Your bed is the dirtiest place in your house/room/dorm so I'd hope you'd shower after sleeping in it for eight hours.

I take anywhere from 1 - 3 showers a day: 1 in the morning (unless I'm going to workout 1st thing), 1 after each workout, 1 after any physical activity (sports, etc), and 1 after sex (if she wants to ).
  • Reply 5 of 145
    I'm going to go take a shower too.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

... and 1 after sex (if she wants to ).

• Reply 7 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

That's kinda interesting actually. Now, about THAT guy, where do you see him and how infrequent are you guessing that he takes showers?

I'm guessing THAT guy must really smell becaus it seems to me the general talking distance of people in the US is about an arms length, which is quite far for smell to travel.

So isn't THAT guy an extreme? He musn't have showered for like a week. Now I'm not talking about the extreme, but rather something logically both saving water and enough to keep you not smelling like THAT guy

I used to work with a guy like that. (The 2 shower a week type) We could always tell in the office. We tried to slip him some Degree or Right Guard anonymously, but that did not work. I'm sorry, but no guy should have a dirty spot on the back of his office chair from when he leans back. Overall, I don't think is was as much him as it was his clothing that did not get a wash between multiple wears...
  • Reply 8 of 145
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ra

Your bed is the dirtiest place in your house/room/dorm so I'd hope you'd shower after sleeping in it for eight hours.

I've actually seen some pretty dirty beds here in the dorm, but why not wash the sheets regularly?

(god, my roommate has not washed his sheets since we moved in, in fact, he doesn't even use a covercase for his cover (blanket))
  • Reply 9 of 145
    On a side note, do you all wear your clothes only once before you wash them?

To me that's a further huge waste of water cause face it, do your clothes really require washing after just a single wear?
  • Reply 10 of 145
    Quote:

On a side note, do you all wear your clothes only once before you wash them? To me that's a further huge waste of water cause face it, do your clothes really require washing after just a single wear?

Depends on activity and length of wear. My dry cleaning bill is through the roof already... so I try to let my undershirts take the regular daily trip to the hopper. Professionally dry cleaned and pressed shirts are a valuable commodity I try to preserve, if possible. \
  • Reply 11 of 145
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    another factor here is that showers wake you up in the morning, so right off the bat is a reason that has nothing to do with cleanliness, but rather necessity/habitual to wake up ya know?

Lately I've been taking showers, but not using shampoo, I find that my hair gets just as clean looking and feeling, and by not using shampoo it actually prevents my hair from getting oily. Since the shampoo kills all the natural oils your hair counteracts by producing more oils, this is true for your skin too, if you use a lot of soap, you skin will dry out, and then produce more oils to counteract that, thus you end up oilier than when you started.

I'd use shampoo if I had like...mud in my hair, but for daily cleansing, it's really not that necessary.

I didn't shower today, but I'll shower tomorrow after I work out and/or play soccer.

interesting sidenote, I was backpacking once, and when you go backpacking, you get really dirty and you don't shower. Well, I was sitting by a lake, and my hands were filthy, so I took the sand from the shore and washed my hands by rubbing the sand all over them. It got my hands amazingly clean and soft, no soap necessary. Sure, maybe I didn't kill 99.8% of the bacteria in my hands but I never got sick or anything, so who cares?
  • Reply 12 of 145
    Quote:

On a side note, do you all wear your clothes only once before you wash them?

To me that's a further huge waste of water cause face it, do your clothes really require washing after just a single wear?

I have no problems wearing a shirt 2-3 days in a row. Heck, I've been wearing the same pair of nylon pants for a week now.

I'm generally very conservative with my clothing, I have a minimal amount, I do laundry the minimal amount I'll need to do laundry, and I maximize the use of each article of clothing.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    veklitaveklita Posts: 1member
    I'd say its safe to say most (if not all) college kids wear the same piece of clothing more than once before washing. Many of my clothes get worn like 4 or 5 times before the wash ... and they usually aren't really that dirty in the end anyway.

However, I love taking a shower. It's very relaxing, and it wakes me up in the morning. If I worked hard / it was really hot, i'll take one before I go to bed as well.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    That's very true, showers are relaxing and centering in a way.

also, a 10 minute shower is roughly the equivalent of drinking 8 glasses of water...or so I hear. that's good for your overall well-being.
  • Reply 15 of 145
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Clothes...

I wash shirts more often than pants. Pants can be worn 3 or 4 times before needing to be washed (unless I spill something on them). Shirts, once, maybe twice before being washed.

Showers...

Everyday, at least once. I don't wana smell!

It's good hygiene. And I work in a hospital as well as doing some ride alongs with fire departments for medical calls. You want to wash up good after a day of dealing with sick/injured people. Nothing will make you feel more gross than a dude puking on your shoes. Yes, it happens. In that case, you ditch your shoes, get a pair of scrubs from the hospital and go back to the firehouse, shower up and put on a new uniform. Your old uniform is taken and destroyed by the hospital.
  • Reply 16 of 145
    I think DMband is in a perfect position to warrant regular and verbose showering.

I think though, too many people are overly paranoid about germs, bacteria, cleanliness, dirt..etc.

But then again, you can shower everyday, but only CLEAN yourself every few days. I mean, a shower doesn't need to be a thorough cleansing rite, it can just be a quick rinse to wake up and focus and feel good.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    The frequency of showering for me depends on my sweat output. In winter if I am not working out every other day is fine, but in summer no way. If I am in a tropical place that is very hot then 2 or 3 times a day is the norm. Being of northern European extraction means I sweat a lot compared to people from tropical places. I am always amazed when in places like Bangkok in the hot season I see locals not sweating at all when I am drenched. They look at me like I have some sort of weird disease making me leak like a sieve!

I have also worked on fishing boats where fresh water is scarce and showers are few and far between. I think my record is 3 weeks without a shower while working hard everyday at least 14-18 hours. You don't want to know what that is like! I appreciate showers way to much as a result of that experience to give them up for long.
  • Reply 18 of 145
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    It's kind of funny how Stevegongrui started this thread when he's also the guy who started the bidet thread awhile back..... remember how concerned he was about that us Americans don't keep our asses clean enough?
  • Reply 19 of 145
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    In most cases, one shower per of every 2 day is sufficiently for a good cleaness, except if you practice sport during hot days ....

For the clothes, i change them when they smell : i can't support clothes that smell. I change polo each day during summer of nearly every 2 days during winter.

As a surgeon i wash my hands too many times, and i have some dermatologic problems to deal with (irritation, dryness ...)
  • Reply 20 of 145
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Maybe it's why people in Europe smell bad and have to cover it up with cologne and smoke.