Official Apple Multi-touch 'Mac tablet' discussion, poll and mock-up thread.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 179
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

No. There is no future for a straight up tablet in the marketplace, and their ultra portable will not be a tablet only.

Sebastian

I agree. I think they should just replace the Laptops with ultra thin convertible tablets. That way if you don't ever want to use a tablet you'll never have to, but if your a tablet guy that needs a laptop you'll have the option.
  • Reply 42 of 179
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I agree. I think they should just replace the Laptops with ultra thin convertible tablets. That way if you don't ever want to use a tablet you'll never have to, but if your a tablet guy that needs a laptop you'll have the option.

That's the ticket. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's take on a sub-notebook is exactly that, with multi-touch goodness baked in.
  • Reply 43 of 179
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Would never happen. That tablet-come-laptop just isn't Apple's style.

However, a clean, multi-touch slate just screams Apple to me.
  • Reply 44 of 179
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 45 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Would never happen. That tablet-come-laptop just isn't Apple's style.

However, a clean, multi-touch slate just screams Apple to me.

I think you're hypnotizing yourself with phrases like "clean, multi-touch slate."

The idea of a big, featureless, nearly buttonless screen that's super thin and light sounds really cool, but only if you are determined to ignore the relative ease of paring that with a keyboard that folds out of the way when you don't want or need it.

Presto: you get your clean slate and I get my sub-notebook and Apple sells twice as many of them. Are you really going to be gritting your teeth because you know there's a keyboard under there and it just ruins the pure tablet grooviness for you?

The mechanism would be only slightly more complex than the hinges on the current 'Books. so it's not like we're talking about some kind of Frankensteinian monster here.
  • Reply 46 of 179
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

I'm still not going to lug around an extra keyboard when it can just as easily be built in.

It is built-in if it has a touch keyboard. The touch keyboard is the built-in option and if you prefer the tactile feedback then you can get an external.

Quote:

Clumsy workarounds like carrying around a keyboard are not an option because a laptop needs to have it's most basic hardware built in from the start.

Same as paragraph 1.

Quote:

Again, the iPhone is THE device for a multi touch screen AND virtual keyboard, a Tablet on the other hand isn't, how many times am I going to have to repeat that before you stop suggesting external keyboards and pointing at a completely different device and saying "That works, implement it and who cares about the differences in design and function, right?"

You'll have to repeat it another 12 times at least. Obviously we just have different viewpoints on it. For you, a touch keyboard will not operate as well as a tactile keyboard, I've used both and I can work fine with either one. In some ways I prefer the soft keyboard because I hate when my keyboard keys get jammed and I also look at the keyboard while typing and I miss a few errors. The tactile feedback is useful but to me it's not a vastly different way of working.

Have you used a soft-keyboard with a touch screen before to see if you'd be ok with it?

Quote:

In addition to having ALL of the benefits that my Macbook gives me (all of my applications, my keyboard, the trackpad, microphone, camera, storage, email, calendar, etc.) I could flip the screen over, it would be just like a clipboard and I can just write down my notes

Then surely just a touch tablet would increase your workflow as you'd get all those features without the hassle of having to swivel the screen round.

Quote:

The advantage of a laptop is it's mobility and the input devices it does offer you built in, you can't cut pieces of the equation out and get the same result, the result will change with the equation.

Well when I had a laptop, I always carried an external mouse as the trackpad didn't cut it and I didn't mind. What I did mind was that in mostly all positions I sat in or stood in, the L-shape design didn't fit at all. Even at a desk it's not right because your hands have to be positioned awkwardly.

Quote:

General purpose computers are tools that need to fit the needs of the user in question and should not become so specialized to the point where they remove common input devices and alienate users who could otherwise find damn good use for them unless taking away that part of the equation would actually be adding something to the experience.

But you say it's a specialized device after just changing the type of keyboard it has. We can't live with the same types of input devices year in year out. Imagine if Nintendo had been ridiculed for making games controllers that weren't mice and keyboards. Touch technology is a more intuitive way for humans to communicate with computers, keyboards and mice are not that intuitive. When you look through your physical photos, you don't get a virtual magnifying glass to look closer at them nor do you get another tool to move them around, you use your hands.

When you play a video game, you don't want to have to remember that c is for crouch and g is for grenade, just have touch icons on screen for what you want to do.

Quote:

A computer needs to change for the user based on their needs,

A flexible soft keyboard can do far better at adapting to an individual user than a fixed keyboard. What about people who speak different languages or have really chubby fingers? A fixed keyboard can't adapt to their needs but a soft keyboard can.

Quote:

that certainly doesn't mean they should waste their time building a tablet that doesn't do much of anything for a small niche.

Just because it doesn't have a clipped on keyboard it becomes niche?

If having a keyboard doesn't compromise the reliability, cost, weight and size of the machine then I wouldn't object to the dual idea but I think it will. I also think it will make it look ugly. I haven't seen a nice looking tablet computer yet and I highly doubt Apple's hinge designs will be capable of supporting a swivel. I hate laptop display hinges too btw, way too fragile. I was always concerned about mine and I know people who have damaged theirs quite easily on expensive laptops. Anything that makes laptops more durable is good in my book.
  • Reply 47 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis

As I said before, Apple is a vertically integrated company 100% through and through.

What do you mean by this? You keep saying it, but it never seems to mean anything.
  • Reply 48 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think you're hypnotizing yourself with phrases like "clean, multi-touch slate."

Noted.
  • Reply 49 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

The idea of a big, featureless, nearly buttonless screen that's super thin and light sounds really cool, but only if you are determined to ignore the relative ease of paring that with a keyboard that folds out of the way when you don't want or need it.

Presto: you get your clean slate and I get my sub-notebook and Apple sells twice as many of them.

The hypothesis would make sense, if for example, I would buy one of those, but I wouldn't.
  • Reply 50 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

The idea of a big, featureless, nearly buttonless screen that's super thin and light sounds really cool..

Besides the "big" and "featureless" parts, that's right. And it's not just a screen, it's a glass, multi-touch screen, and a touchable, virtual software blanket for any UI Apple can imagine. It's a QWERTY keyboard. It's a DVORAK keyboard. It's any kind of keyboard you want. It's a changeable keyboard. It's a foreign language keyboard. It's a app-specific keyboard. It's a character palette. It's a portable cinema. It's a lot of things that a laptop can't be. And it's very slim, it's very sleek, and it's ultra-portable.
  • Reply 51 of 179
    Quote:

The hypothesis would make sense, if for example, I would buy one of those, but I wouldn't.

And I wouldn't by a pure tablet. The difference is a hybrid could be configured to act as a tablet without you having to trouble yourself much about there being a keyboard sandwiched in there, whereas a pure tablet leaves me without a satisfactory option for the physical keyboard I prefer.

So which do you think is likely to be the better bet, sale-wise?
  • Reply 52 of 179
    Quote:

And I wouldn't by a pure tablet. The difference is a hybrid could be configured to act as a tablet without you having to trouble yourself much about there being a keyboard sandwiched in there, whereas a pure tablet leaves me without a satisfactory option for the physical keyboard I prefer.

So which do you think is likely to be the better bet, sale-wise?

Hybrids are ugly, unintuitive, and have way to many moving parts. Furthermore, they sound as un-Apple a thing as I can even imagine. Sure you might say a tablet isn't a Apple thing either, but I would disagree. Apple pushing minimalism and multi-touch, both things which sound like very tablet orientated words. Steve Jobs thinks multi-touch is as important as the mouse was, and I agree. "So again, the keyboard is there when you need it, and gone when you don't."
  • Reply 53 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It is built-in if it has a touch keyboard. The touch keyboard is the built-in option and if you prefer the tactile feedback then you can get an external.

But if a real keyboard is available but can be folded away so you are presented with a tablet with a virtual keyboard, how is that not a better match for more people?

Quote:

You'll have to repeat it another 12 times at least. Obviously we just have different viewpoints on it. For you, a touch keyboard will not operate as well as a tactile keyboard, I've used both and I can work fine with either one. In some ways I prefer the soft keyboard because I hate when my keyboard keys get jammed and I also look at the keyboard while typing and I miss a few errors. The tactile feedback is useful but to me it's not a vastly different way of working.

Have you used a soft-keyboard with a touch screen before to see if you'd be ok with it?

Which is why you would be the kind of user of a hybrid that would fold the screen to the top and use it like that all the time.

Quote:

Then surely just a touch tablet would increase your workflow as you'd get all those features without the hassle of having to swivel the screen round.

No hassle at all. You just leave it in tablet mode all the time, as you prefer. I leave it in keyboard mode most of the time, but I can go tablet if that's the better for me. Everybody's happy!

Quote:

Well when I had a laptop, I always carried an external mouse as the trackpad didn't cut it and I didn't mind. What I did mind was that in mostly all positions I sat in or stood in, the L-shape design didn't fit at all. Even at a desk it's not right because your hands have to be positioned awkwardly.

Wait, you're saying that typing on a flat surface that's in the same plane as the display is more ergonomic than a screen that hinges at a variable angle to the keyboard? How do you figure?

Quote:

But you say it's a specialized device after just changing the type of keyboard it has. We can't live with the same types of input devices year in year out. Imagine if Nintendo had been ridiculed for making games controllers that weren't mice and keyboards. Touch technology is a more intuitive way for humans to communicate with computers, keyboards and mice are not that intuitive. When you look through your physical photos, you don't get a virtual magnifying glass to look closer at them nor do you get another tool to move them around, you use your hands.

There's nothing in what you're saying here that makes the case for the superiority of a virtual keyboard. Text entry isn't one of those things with gestural analogue in the real world, it involves pushing buttons sequentially that correspond to specific letters. For that, more tactile feedback better.

Quote:

When you play a video game, you don't want to have to remember that c is for crouch and g is for grenade, just have touch icons on screen for what you want to do.

You're conflating the benefits of a touch-screen interface with your argument for the adequacy of a virtual keyboard. Virtual or no, you still have to hit the right keys.

Quote:

A flexible soft keyboard can do far better at adapting to an individual user than a fixed keyboard. What about people who speak different languages or have really chubby fingers? A fixed keyboard can't adapt to their needs but a soft keyboard can.

Fortunately, a hybrid has..... a virtual keyboard as an option!

Quote:

Just because it doesn't have a clipped on keyboard it becomes niche?

Well, yeah. There's a reason keyboards have had such staying power as a way of creating text-- they work. And there's a reason that "keyboard parallel to the tabletop, text at 90º" has been the configuration since typewriters hit the scene.

Quote:

If having a keyboard doesn't compromise the reliability, cost, weight and size of the machine then I wouldn't object to the dual idea but I think it will.

I think you're reaching here. On the laptops I've owned, the keyboard was the last thing I worried about in terms of reliability, and the keyboard on the MacBook, for instance, isn't exactly bulking up the form factor. A modern membrane keyboard part weighs what, an ounce? And is what, .2" thick?

Quote:

I also think it will make it look ugly. I haven't seen a nice looking tablet computer yet and I highly doubt Apple's hinge designs will be capable of supporting a swivel.

So it's at least partly about the appeal of a featureless, monolithic slab. But what's the problem with putting the display on top and leaving it there? Because it ruins the purity if there is a tiny layer of keyboard between the display back and the base? Is that really enough reason to abandon functionality?

Quote:

I hate laptop display hinges too btw, way too fragile. I was always concerned about mine and I know people who have damaged theirs quite easily on expensive laptops. Anything that makes laptops more durable is good in my book.

See above.
  • Reply 54 of 179
    Quote:

But if a real keyboard is available but can be folded away so you are presented with a tablet with a virtual keyboard, how is that not a better match for more people?

Do me a favor? Draw this device you speak of, flickrize it and post it in this thread.
  • Reply 55 of 179
    Null.
  • Reply 56 of 179
    Null.
  • Reply 57 of 179
    We know your name is "Sebastian", so there's really no need to keep on quoting it at the bottom of each and every post you make. My name is Brendan by the way.

Apple being a vertically integrated company has nothing to do with them making and selling a tablet OS X device. You obviously don't think it's a good idea for them, you don't even think they will do it, but I do. We could argue this debate forever, and obviously you're going to out-type a drunkard like me. Bottom line--I think Apple will do a tablet (without a hardware keyboard)-- you don't. So, that's that. And yes, I am drunk
  • Reply 58 of 179
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    A Slate Style Tablet can not be a desktop replacement which is what Apple keeps saying the laptop market is. So you can forget the slate idea right there. Plus it's a bad one.
  • Reply 59 of 179
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'm with Slewis-- I would be interested in a tablet/sub-notebook hybrid that lets me carry around a tablet if I just want to look at the internet or watch a movie, but provides a proper keyboard when I want to use a real computer. For that huge improvement in convenience, I am willing to add a few ounces and .25" of thickness. Who wouldn't-- it's basically a win-win.

Just fixating on the "coolness" of a pure tablet doesn't take into account some pretty basic truths about how people use computers.

Well, I've yet to see a convertible as thin and light as some slates. The keyboard on the Motion computing slates aren't very thick or heavy but the design leaves a lot to be desired as a slate with an integrated detached keyboard. The Toshiba convertibles are very nice but laptop sized and never stop being laptop sized.

The best option for me is the ability to attach a slate to a dock that doesn't suck like the Motion computing ones. Even if the resulting package is a desktop replacement sized laptop as long as slim docks with just additional battery are available.

So the requirements are a thin, lightweight slate no larger or heavier than a pad of paper that wont tip over when docked into its laptop like base. In an ideal world the laptop base holds a discrete GPU that takes over from the lower power integrated GPU in the slate...but just adding a HDD, optical drive and power is sufficient.

Vinea
  • Reply 60 of 179
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

We know your name is "Sebastian", so there's really no need to keep on quoting it at the bottom of each and every post you make.

He's planning on running for public office in the future and is trying to publicize his name. Let him be.