Official Apple Multi-touch 'Mac tablet' discussion, poll and mock-up thread.

Comments

• Reply 141 of 179
    Too bad you don't want to take my word for it.

Come to Japan. You'll believe me then.

It is very difficult to find Mac users and equally difficult to have much space to put anything.
  • Reply 142 of 179
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm not buying it. Sounds like a BS story to me. "I'm the one guy with a Mac, it doesn't fit on the desk." Gimmie a break.

You don't believe it? Bergermeister's being saying this kind of thing for months now - he lives in Japan.

Everyone knows the Japanese are big into ultra-portables. 125 Million people can't be wrong. Not to mention they are growing rapidly in popularity in the west right now too. Rest assured Apple's well, well aware of this. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a MacBook mini in January, and a Mac touch in September 2008.
  • Reply 143 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

We did a similar poll on this earlier and last I recalled it was like 70%+ in favor of keyboard...

By any chance was that before the iPhone was shown off?
  • Reply 144 of 179
    I have created about a minute and a half of animated content regarding a Mac Multi-Touch tablet. I will post the link once I'm out of school. (silly youtube block.)
  • Reply 145 of 179
    I'm with Ireland on this one. A lot of people do want small portables. I think it's stupid that you can walk in to PC World and get a 19" laptop. I mean, why one earth would you want to lug something that size about with you? On the odd occasion you would need a screen that large on the move, the chances are 19" wouldn't be big enough anyway.

Now I know Apple don't make a silly 19" portable, but even the 17" MacBook Pro is rather cumbersome to use while travelling. Not everyone is obsessed by the BIGGER is better syndrome (I know not all Americans are so inclined).

Apple have done a really good job at making some very compact products, just kook at the iMac, the iPod Nano/Shuffle/Touch and iPhone. Surly these products are testament to the fact that people want small powerful devices. The Asian market is dominated by ultra-portables and I know Apple could do very well to indulge their lust for such things.
  • Reply 146 of 179
    You have to remember though, people who get the 17" MBP often use things that require such screen space. You know, all the fancy shmancy professional software out there. And don't call 19 inches portable please. Some people often get those as desktop replacements.
  • Reply 147 of 179
    Most people are just purchasing MBs or MBPs as a desktop replacement anyways, no matter what the size. I wouldn't call a 19'' a portable, considering that's my monitor size, (not an ACD), it's far too bulky. On the matter of tablets, and "ultra-portable" systems, I believe, in general, that 8'' is too small, and 14'' is too big. 10'' is suitable. Apple could easelessly, assuming, of course, come out with a featherweight tablet for the market wanting a multi-touch tablet Mac... size is the only issue, then?

Or are we also bickering about the built in keys... personally, a slide out external keyboard would be my personal preference, but I never get my way anyways. =P

Again, I'll post the link to my mockup hence my return home.
  • Reply 148 of 179
    I just think.. Do you guys REALLY think Apple will put in a keyboard in their tablet? Ultraportable, yes, but the tablet? I doubt it.
  • Reply 149 of 179
    Well, if it is a 10'' or 12'', a full QWERTY (with the number pad) will fit easelessly into the interface. If it's any smaller, then it would be as useless as an iPhone keyboard.
  • Reply 150 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post

Well, if it is a 10'' or 12'', a full QWERTY (with the number pad) will fit easelessly into the interface. If it's any smaller, then it would be as useless as an iPhone keyboard.

I have been doing paper cut-outs over the last few days, it occurs to me that 11" is the killer size for this product, but we'll see what happens. Funny you say 10" and then 12", so now I'm definitely thinking 11".
  • Reply 151 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I just think.. Do you guys REALLY think Apple will put in a keyboard in their tablet? Ultraportable, yes, but the tablet? I doubt it.

I think it would be missing to the point to do such a thing. The software would be so great, it wont need one. That's what they'll say, and it would be a selling point as they see. Because the keyboard wouldn't really exist, it wouldn't take up any space whatsoever, that's the whole point. And judging by how good they are at making things thinner than all others, this would literally be the first ultra-portable computer, in a way.
  • Reply 152 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think it would be missing to the point to do such a thing. The software would be so great, it wont need one. That's what they'll say, and it would be a selling point as they see. Because the keyboard wouldn't really exist, it wouldn't take up any space whatsoever, that's the whole point. And judging by how good they are at making things thinner than all others, this would literally be the first ultra-portable computer, in a way.

*sigh of relief*

Thanks for making me feel better about this.
  • Reply 153 of 179
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Too bad you don't want to take my word for it.

Come to Japan. You'll believe me then.

It is very difficult to find Mac users and equally difficult to have much space to put anything.

Like you said. Mac users are few and far between in Japan. The Mac market isn't that great there, so where is the incentive to make one? Apple did a small laptop in the 12" PowerBook, and it didn't sell that well in Japan. At the time it was just as small as what the Japanese market was offering. Don't feel bad if Apple doesn't make one, but the Japanese way has always been to buy Japanese. THe Opportunities for Apple in Japan are miniscule IMO.

Either way. There are other threads that about an ultra portable. This thread is about a Tablet.
  • Reply 154 of 179
    If you have any soul, click here.

Or, click this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV-jn2jmYYc

I made this video with Photoshop and iMovie, thanks to Ireland for the image of the Mac Touch, I did all interface design.

Notice how I took the approach compromising elements of both the MacBook and the iPhone. The Finder is hugely changed, coming from the side in side view, from beneath the dock in vertical view. There is no navigation for the Finder, which I regret not making.

Please ignore the fact that Safari is depicted by a Firefox logo!

There is no maximize button, for that you double tap, as shown...
  • Reply 155 of 179
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It's good work on your part, but it's obvious that it has the screen problems that we have been discussing. The touch keyboard has the same problems as it would on the iPhone if you tried to load it up with full blown applications.

I think the chances of the slate style multi-touch tablet coming to fruition are in a low percentile. It has more problems than it has advantages. And actually it really doesn't have advantages compared to a convertible tablet. It has disadvantages.
  • Reply 156 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain View Post

If you have any soul, click here.

Or, click this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV-jn2jmYYc

I made this video with Photoshop and iMovie, thanks to Ireland for the image of the Mac Touch, I did all interface design.

Notice how I took the approach compromising elements of both the MacBook and the iPhone. The Finder is hugely changed, coming from the side in side view, from beneath the dock in vertical view. There is no navigation for the Finder, which I regret not making.

There is no maximize button, for that you double tap, as shown...

Great effort man!
  • Reply 157 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chamberlain

I nearly pissed myself when I saw that.
  • Reply 158 of 179
    Quote:

Great effort man!

Thanks... not bad for a 13y/o kid. (14 in two days. )

Quote:

I nearly pissed myself when I saw that.

A crucial element I could've easily changed. Really, most of the edits I did we based off my squishing my resolution into a 600x800. =) And I don't have Safari.
  • Reply 159 of 179
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'm not buying it. Sounds like a BS story to me. "I'm the one guy with a Mac, it doesn't fit on the desk." Gimmie a break.

Yah, it seems pretty BS to me too since I do conferences and often have no desk at all. I use a lapboard or some magazines for those.

You are wider than your laptop. Maybe not a 17" MBP but certainly a 13" macbook vs an 11" ultraportable. You should be able to balance your macbook on any tiny table you can sit in front of. Even the little foldout student desk things since I can manage my 17" MBP on one of those although if its too dinky I need to sit on an asile seat or just use my lapboard.

They make these things called "spare batteries". If you're spending more than 6-8 hours at a conference in real sessions, well, that's a long assed day if you're doing a week of it. Hopefully at some sessions you can get an outlet.

If he wants a flash drive in his MB he can buy one. It's $599-$749 retail for 32GB although the SATA models are little hard to find. Expensive but most SSD equipped ultraportables are pricey.
  • Reply 160 of 179
    Quote:

Like you said. Mac users are few and far between in Japan. The Mac market isn't that great there, so where is the incentive to make one? Apple did a small laptop in the 12" PowerBook, and it didn't sell that well in Japan. At the time it was just as small as what the Japanese market was offering. Don't feel bad if Apple doesn't make one, but the Japanese way has always been to buy Japanese. THe Opportunities for Apple in Japan are miniscule IMO.

??? Actually Apple did very well in Japan (Macworld Tokyo was the best attended of all of them) and it was in fact Apple's second largest market. Although sales have flatlined for various reasons, it's still an important market for them.

Furthermore it's the world's third largest market (after US/EU) with a far higher per capita GDP than China or India?and hence more likely to buy expense luxury items like Apple products.

Apple hasn't properly exploited either Europe or Japan in recent years but both are the obvious expansion targets outside the US.