Official Apple Multi-touch 'Mac tablet' discussion, poll and mock-up thread.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 179
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I agree. I feel that detachable keyboards of this type are not practical. We were required to buy tablets for school and it was the most expensive and worst computer that I have ever purchased. The whole idea of balancing a top-heavy computer on a slim little keyboard on top of your lap just makes these type of things impractical for potable keyboard use.

Yes...the problems with slate on a thin little keyboard suck in anything but a stable flat surface.

Which is why I advocate making a larger heavier base with optical drive, HDD and extended battery along with the keyboard to give it more heft and a physical docking solution that doesn't suck. At that point I would hope weight distribution it more 50-50 (perhaps even as good as 60-40) rather than 10-90.

Still teetery but vastly better than proping a slate on top of a keyboard and hoping gravity keeps it in place. My 17" MBP inverted (ie screen on the bottom) is teetery (the base is far heavier than the screen) but not as bad as Motion's solution. Swap battery, keyboard and optical drive for the screen and it would be better. The MBP hinge can kinda sorta keep the base in the right place despite the weight.

Vinea
  • Reply 102 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephenLevinson View Post

Great so I didn't read the first post and I guess I magically knew that someone suggested 10'' as being a perfect size for the tablet. I did see the post's. I didn't correct myself because I didn't realize. I don't quote people in every single post of mine but that isn't hard evidence that I'm not reading any other posts.

ummm... what?
  • Reply 103 of 179
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I agree. I feel that detachable keyboards of this type are not practical. We were required to buy tablets for school and it was the most expensive and worst computer that I have ever purchased. The whole idea of balancing a top-heavy computer on a slim little keyboard on top of your lap just makes these type of things impractical for potable keyboard use.

I didn't even think abut the weight of the components just the esthetics, and something so that the minority that prefers the slate style would get something out of it. Just trying to make everyone happy.

With flash based drives probably coming sooner and components getting much thinner, including things like SOC processors that have more capable graphics, it would probably be feasible for Apple to just make a convertible tablet that is thin enough that a slate user would never feel the difference anyway.
  • Reply 104 of 179
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I didn't even think abut the weight of the components just the esthetics, and something so that the minority that prefers the slate style would get something out of it. Just trying to make everyone happy.

With flash based drives probably coming sooner and components getting much thinner, including things like SOC processors that have more capable graphics, it would probably be feasible for Apple to just make a convertible tablet that is thin enough that a slate user would never feel the difference anyway.

Bingo.
  • Reply 105 of 179
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

• Reply 106 of 179
    Quote:

A Slate Style Tablet can not be a desktop replacement which is what Apple keeps saying the laptop market is. So you can forget the slate idea right there. Plus it's a bad one.

Is it, now?
  • Reply 107 of 179
    I have added some mock-ups to my second post, you can see them here.
  • Reply 108 of 179
    Now that this thread has resurfaced I need to point out the choices are not complete in your poll.

Quote:

"Will Apple make a multi-touch (keyboard-free) Mac tablet before the end of 2008?"

Yes, touch-screen is where it's at.

No, Apple wont make a touch-screen tablet.

What about the obvious answers?:

Yes, but it will also have a keyboard. Duh..
  • Reply 109 of 179
    Quote:

Now that this thread has resurfaced I need to point out the choices are not complete in your poll.

What about the obvious answers?:

Yes, but it will also have a keyboard. Duh..

You're missing the whole point of this device. An Apple tablet wont have a keyboard the way I see it. If you think it will, then vote no. This will be the big iPhone without the phone, and with Leopard. Apple may do an ultra-portable notebook in January though, that's probably the device you should go for if they do. Otherwise if they do in fact make this multi-touch tablet - the way I see it - you could use Apple's bluetooth keyboard with it if you really wanted to, the point is you wouldn't have to. It would be a thin, super-portable slate you can take anywhere with you.
  • Reply 110 of 179
    Nice work, Ireland.

I wouldn't bet against it after the iPhone.

After the last 10 years? I wouldn't bet against it...

Hell already froze over wit teh 'Intel' thing.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 111 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You're missing the whole point of this device. An Apple tablet wont have a keyboard the way I see it. If you think it will, then vote no. This will be the big iPhone without the phone, and with Leopard. Apple may do an ultra-portable notebook in January though, that's probably the device you should go for if they do. Otherwise if they do in fact make this multi-touch tablet - the way I see it - you could use Apple's bluetooth keyboard with it if you really wanted to, the point is you wouldn't have to. It would be a thin, super-portable slate you can take anywhere with you.

Well some of us think the way you see it is stupid. So your poll is still incomplete. The Point is what the title of the thread says. Maybe you should have had a better description in your thread title to begin with, or left the answer at just plain no. Not no, and then elaborated on it. The second I elaborate your "no, and then some answer" that answer is in contradiction to what most of us, that started the original poll, and won, believe is the best possible solution.
  • Reply 112 of 179
    Quote:

Well some of us think the way you see it is stupid.

Well some of you also think Apple wont put an optical DVD slot in the Apple TV, and wont make TV's, and I think you're wrong.

This tablet is about getting rid of the keyboard, I can't believe you are missing that point. Take a notebook, make the display a bit thicker, get rid of the optical drive and the keyboard completely, and make the screen multi-touch. This is about a revolution, not a compromise.

If Apple didn't add a slide out keyboard to little cellphone, they definitely wont when the touch keyboard will be much bigger and much easier to use.

Thus Mac touch, it's 'all' about the screen.
  • Reply 113 of 179
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well some of you also think Apple wont put an optical DVD slot in the Apple TV, and wont make TV's, and I think you're wrong.

Ireland, just drop dude.

You always think you are so right and still you do not provide any logical reason to base your claims.

Please accept that lot of folks here disagree with you and they have a good point. Take their opinions seriously and give us a good explanation to get your point across.

That way, we all might have a better experience dealing with you.
  • Reply 114 of 179
    I want to believe Ireland, because I want it to be true. So let it be written, so let it be done. Therefore it's true. Therefore, everything I want Apple to do, they will. Therefore, it's time for my lunch break.
  • Reply 115 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Ireland, just drop dude.

You always think you are so right and still you do not provide any logical reason to base your claims.

Please accept that lot of folks here disagree with you and they have a good point. Take their opinions seriously and give us a good explanation to get your point across.

That way, we all might have a better experience dealing with you.

No logic? He just mentioned about Apple not putting a keypad in their phone. So that's a good reason to assume they wouldn't put a keyboard in a tablet. Sounds like some kinda logic right there.
  • Reply 116 of 179
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

No logic? He just mentioned about Apple not putting a keypad in their phone. So that's a good reason to assume they wouldn't put a keyboard in a tablet. Sounds like some kinda logic right there.

I am talking about comments overall. You can go to the AppleTV DVD slot, AppleTelevision, threads or actually pretty much everywhere he posts. Take a look if you are interested and you will see what I am saying.
  • Reply 117 of 179
    No, I know what you mean. But there's not much you can do. Don't get in the way of a child and his candy (purely figurative)
  • Reply 118 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

NO. Not necessarily. #1 you need the screen full-time and big when using a laptop. I cant imagine editing a movie in Final Cut Pro, or working in Maya without having my screen available at all times, and also. YOu also need a mouse plugged in for a good portion of the time, and I just don't see myself trying any of this flat on a desk. Photoshop, and painter are two more common Macintosh apps I use. Geese the list is almost endless of apps that just are not practical in the iPhone style/ Tablet idea. It's freaking ridiculous if you think about it. I can't believe this thread has even been brought back from the dead.
  • Reply 119 of 179
    Ok, I see what you mean with the whole keyboard taking up screen, but.. Ireland, what kind of specs would you imagine in this? Would you expect this to be able to handle Maya? Ok, the more I think about this the more I'm confusing myself. Would this be a laptop replacement? I was just figuring this being a product that's along for the ride. Then I think about subnotebook coming out, and then all my thoughts mesh in to one, and now I'm just lost
  • Reply 120 of 179
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Never mind...I did answer that.