Official Apple Multi-touch 'Mac tablet' discussion, poll and mock-up thread.

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 179
    Why are you all talking about these crazy flip or just plain tablet computers.

I personally would love to have a tablet as I am an artist and it would help with taking notes in classes.

I know this doesn't seem like a very apple/mac design, but what about something like this... ignore the fact that the display currently has windows on it - - http://www.tabletpc2.com/Graphics/ta...-umpc-2007.jpg

-1oftheothers
  • Reply 162 of 179
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneoftheothers View Post

I personally would love to have a tablet as I am an artist and it would help with taking notes in classes.

I know this doesn't seem like a very apple/mac design, but what about something like this... ignore the fact that the display currently has windows on it - - http://www.tabletpc2.com/Graphics/ta...-umpc-2007.jpg

-1oftheothers

I'm all for a tablet with a keyboard but the no keyboard idea is ridiculous. I'm sure SJ could make it look ohhh so cool in a keynote, but in reality the practicality of one in the real world doesn't exist for a large market. Although I have no doubts that early adopters will horde it just like any other Apple product, and then they will die to defend it's usefulness, but it's as useful as a world made entirely of women. There must be men because without us they will die off.
  • Reply 163 of 179
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I'm all for a tablet with a keyboard but the no keyboard idea is ridiculous. I'm sure SJ could make it look ohhh so cool in a keynote, but in reality the practicality of one in the real world doesn't exist for a large market. Although I have no doubts that early adopters will horde it just like any other Apple product, and then they will die to defend it's usefulness, but it's as useful as a world made entirely of women. There must be men because without us they will die off.

You sound like just the type that Steve Jobs likes to confound and defy.
  • Reply 164 of 179
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

-1oftheothers

If the tablet was going to be that type of slider then it would be nothing new [it would likely be out already] and the iPhone would have gone that direction too. This tablet will be a slab, and any keyboard it will have will be software based. They can do this because of multi-touch. It called innovation, and it will not conform to the usual.

To make this device practical in the real world [which is very important] it will need to have some sort of pop-out flap on the upper rear, which when popped out it can let the tablet rest on any flat surface [i.e. a table] by itself at around 17º. Perfect to make its software keyboard way more useable for typing long pieces, and to allow the user to rest their tired hands while still using the device.

This is not just a fantasy product, but a fantasy with a very real and practical reality.
  • Reply 165 of 179
    I agree... Apple would do very well if they included with the tablet a wireless keyboard and perhaps a mouse... wired or not

Also do you agree with a included stylus or not...

I like the modbook if you have seen that... if not google it

The image you have there however, just looks like a big tablet dashboard... i want to be able to do my email, calendar, and all my other things on this with out a problem.... i also want to be able to do my art on it...
  • Reply 166 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneoftheothers

The image you have there however, just looks like a big tablet dashboard..

I used the dock from dashboard because I am to lazy to make up my own dock. Point being it could have a dock somewhat similar to OS X yet at the same time somewhat similar to the dock on the home screen of the iPhone with multiple docks that the user can swipe to see. With all your apps on it if you wanted. Though there would probably be a finder too. Swiping docks just seems so cool though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneoftheothers

i want to be able to do my email, calendar, and all my other things on this with out a problem.... i also want to be able to do my art on it..

I don't get why there would be a problem with doing any of that, it just a dock, and you can have all your apps on it? If you wanted to do any of that just launch the app you want to use and the dock will be gone when within that app. There will be a Quit or Home button to get back to the Mac touch desktop and the swipe-dock.
  • Reply 167 of 179
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Ireland, have you even used a tablet? Tried a typing on a full sized multitouch keyboard with no tactile response or cues?

No, I didn't think so.
  • Reply 168 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Ireland, have you even used a tablet? Tried a typing on a full sized multitouch keyboard with no tactile response or cues?

No, I didn't think so.

We'll see!
  • Reply 169 of 179
    The real question is have you??

Apple is smart enough that they are going to be able to make it work if they do it...

Personally... i would like something that I am able to use on both a desk and a bus... or a moving vehicle...

I think the idea of something propped up on a desk with a wireless keyboard would work, but then how do you type well trying to use it "on the go".... because isn't that essentially what a tablet is for, using something a computer on the go (with a touch screen interface so you can look like Dr. Spock )

What about a apple UMPC...

-1oftheothers
  • Reply 170 of 179
    Someone Reply Please
  • Reply 171 of 179
    Quote:

The real question is have you??

Have I what? Used a tablet? Yes. Used a true multitouch keyboard? Somewhat. I have a MERL DiamondTouch.

Quote:

Apple is smart enough that they are going to be able to make it work if they do it...

Personally... i would like something that I am able to use on both a desk and a bus... or a moving vehicle...

I think the idea of something propped up on a desk with a wireless keyboard would work, but then how do you type well trying to use it "on the go".... because isn't that essentially what a tablet is for, using something a computer on the go (with a touch screen interface so you can look like Dr. Spock )

What about a apple UMPC...

-1oftheothers

You can in your lap except you lose a good bit real-estate for the keyboard. Just like on the iPhone. A clamshell laptop like the Air would be more practical if you need to type so a really thin convertible tablet would be best.

The biggest drawback of windows tablets is they are designed as rather thick slates OR as laptop replacement convertibles. An Air designed as a convertible would be pretty nice.

It would be slightly thicker, both for the hinge and the touch sensor.
  • Reply 172 of 179
    Quote:

Have I what? Used a tablet? Yes. Used a true multitouch keyboard? Somewhat. I have a MERL DiamondTouch.

You can in your lap except you lose a good bit real-estate for the keyboard. Just like on the iPhone. A clamshell laptop like the Air would be more practical if you need to type so a really thin convertible tablet would be best.

The biggest drawback of windows tablets is they are designed as rather thick slates OR as laptop replacement convertibles. An Air designed as a convertible would be pretty nice.

It would be slightly thicker, both for the hinge and the touch sensor.

Apple ain't going to do no stinkin' convertible. You really want to use Mac touch on the bus? Hold it with one had while resting it on your lap and interacting with the other hand. If you are going to be doing a lot of typing on the bus just buy a MacBook, it's that simple. A 10" thin, slab with a screen covering the whole front of the device. Aluminum shell, glass screen 12 - 14mm thick. Pop out the rest on the back and put it on any desk or pop it back in and use it on the couch. That's the Mac touch. And with multi-touch Mac OS X, drag and drop, copy & paste and a thin profile that's perfectly comfortable to grasp on either side this is the perfect take with you anywhere computer.

This device would be an absolute, guaranteed hit worldwide. The desire of every teen and adult who wants the latest and greatest. A true revolution. This is the type of computer that could make a guy like Alex Albrecht switch to the Mac. He get's the iPhone, he loves the iPhone, but he's not persuaded to move to the Mac. A Mac touch is what one could call a persuasive proposition.

"Besides all that" a 10", multi-touch, aluminum, OS X slab would make the computer "sexy". Sexy in a way never really seen before. The iPhone made Smartphones cool, the Mac touch would make computers "cool". And not just to geeks, but to regular folk.

Mac touch FTW!
  • Reply 173 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple ain't going to do no stinkin' convertible.

If the OSX is going touch, then I would expect all their laptops to go convertible.

Quote:

You really want to use Mac touch on the bus? Hold it with one had while resting it on your lap and interacting with the other hand. If you are going to be doing a lot of typing on the bus just buy a MacBook, it's that simple.

Or if you do a lot of typing period.

Quote:

A 10" thin, slab with a screen covering the whole front of the device. Aluminum shell, glass screen 12 - 14mm thick. Pop out the rest on the back and put it on any desk or pop it back in and use it on the couch. That's the Mac touch. And with multi-touch Mac OS X, drag and drop, copy & paste and a thin profile that's perfectly comfortable to grasp on either side this is the perfect take with you anywhere computer.

And the addition of MBA keyboard does very little to make it less of a perfect take anywhere computer given the MBA fits that bill as well as a 10" slab. The key of course is hinge design. On the plus side, you double the UI space...because a virtual keyboard still requires screen real-estate and proped up as you suggests takes half that 10" display up as the keys and fingers largely obscures what is below.

The only way I see a pure slab play is with a nice dock. Which is certainly possible and the best of both worlds if the dock itself is a laptop.
  • Reply 174 of 179
    Quote:

If the OSX is going touch, then I would expect all their laptops to go convertible.

Or if you do a lot of typing period.

And the addition of MBA keyboard does very little to make it less of a perfect take anywhere computer given the MBA fits that bill as well as a 10" slab. The key of course is hinge design. On the plus side, you double the UI space...because a virtual keyboard still requires screen real-estate and proped up as you suggests takes half that 10" display up as the keys and fingers largely obscures what is below.

The only way I see a pure slab play is with a nice dock. Which is certainly possible and the best of both worlds if the dock itself is a laptop.

I see the product you want, but it's not the one I want. It may have a dock, it may, but that will be for syncing and using a digital pic frame perhaps. The reason I say 10" is that I have a feeling that's the size Jobs will make it, but personally I would prefer an 11" display, which would make for a bigger, nicer touch-keyboard. Although 10" would make the device handier to bring with you and lighter. Which is ultimately why I think Apple will go with closer to that size.

Macworld may be even too early, and personally I would love an OLED display - "that" would be killer!
  • Reply 175 of 179
    Quote:

You really want to use Mac touch on the bus? Hold it with one had while resting it on your lap and interacting with the other hand. If you are going to be doing a lot of typing on the bus just buy a MacBook, it's that simple.

Mac touch FTW!

What I mean by using it on a bus is that I can draw, or type, or write, or do something else...

i already have a macbook
  • Reply 176 of 179
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    I know I'm posting to an older thread, but I just couldn't resist:

Who says pockets will always be the size of a pack of cigarettes?

Apple tends to move the world of design and not the other way around.

Why not shirts, sweaters, sweats with a bigger pocket?

Women also have their purses with them always.

Seeing a lot of men wearing midriff purses lately.

Maybe we need an in-between size backpack/ unisex purse?

just thinkin outside the box.
  • Reply 177 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

I know I'm posting to an older thread, but I just couldn't resist:

Who says pockets will always be the size of a pack of cigarettes?

Apple tends to move the world of design and not the other way around.

Why not shirts, sweaters, sweats with a bigger pocket?

Women also have their purses with them always.

Seeing a lot of men wearing midriff purses lately.

Maybe we need an in-between size backpack/ unisex purse?

just thinkin outside the box.

Don't think outside the planet though
  • Reply 178 of 179
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Don't think outside the planet though

To heck with this planet! Think outside the universe!!
  • Reply 179 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

To heck with this planet! Think outside the universe!!

But inside a sane mind.