Rumor: Digg founder claims 3G iPhone to do video chat

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    Tsk tsk - such language. Banned because "I'm a fuckwit"?

How professional of you. Truly Apple has much to fear from such a stand-up operation. They'd never guess what kind of good-n-juicy dirt you must have here.

Feel free to ban tho - because "I'm a fuckwit" or whatever else your Jr. High-School brain can muster. It's all comedy gold.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgabrys_HOWDOESHEDOIT?OHNOES! View Post

Hmm.

Ba-Bye.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    A friend of mine was just showing me his new iPhone and I was telling him about how he can save battery time by setting his e-mail options to only check every hour as opposed to every 15 minutes. So he went to e-mail settings and under "messages" he has no "Auto-Check" option. It just plain doesn't exist.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taschauer View Post

A friend of mine was just showing me his new iPhone and I was telling him about how he can save battery time by setting his e-mail options to only check every hour as opposed to every 15 minutes. So he went to e-mail settings and under "messages" he has no "Auto-Check" option. It just plain doesn't exist.

Has he tried restoring?
  • Reply 85 of 100
    jonaskjonask Posts: 1member
    Not being able to run applications in the background is quite obviously for power management reasons and has nothing to do with blocking out iChat competitors.
  • Reply 86 of 100
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What a moronic comment: Other sites won't take the place of the bought-out ones?

Welcome to the 21st century.....

I thought the Think Secret situation was more complicated than that anyway.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

AppleInsider may be a great rumour site, but you couldn't prove it by THIS article.

It's a joke, by a guy that's considered a joke.

You can't simply have someone make something up, then call it a rumour, and then have credibility by reporting it.

Let's get back to something REAL.

You're blurring "the quality of their reporting of the rumour" with "the quality of the rumour itself".

I agree that they shouldn't report bad rumours, in general.

However, this rumour is prominent enough that people would have heard on the grapevine.

So AppleInsider reported the rumour AND the past success of the source... which is something some people might not have been aware of.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah! Because we the phones we have in Europe have been larded up with features nobody uses for years! Ha!

Does this statement come with some type of translator?
  • Reply 89 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

You're blurring "the quality of their reporting of the rumour" with "the quality of the rumour itself".

I agree that they shouldn't report bad rumours, in general.

However, this rumour is prominent enough that people would have heard on the grapevine.

So AppleInsider reported the rumour AND the past success of the source... which is something some people might not have been aware of.

I'm not blurring the quality of the rumour.

The mere fact it comes from Kevin, means it has no quality.

He's just advertising his name.

And AI fell for it.... again.

As AI pointed out, the best (and maybe only) call Kevin made was the nano when many knew about it just before it came out. (like starting a rumour the titanic has a leak)

The idea that Apple specifically is preventing hundreds of thousands of developers from building apps with the SDK that run in the background.... MERELY BECAUSE OF iCHAT is one of the dumbest quotes you're gonna read by anyone.

Doesn't pass the laugh test and AI shouldn't lower itself further by putting this text in a paragraph.

You can believe you have a rumour that two cameras are in the model, I don't.

I don't believe they are crippling the SDK capability because iChat on a mobile phone is worth MORE to Apple.

You can believe this stuff, I'm laughing already and others will sooner or later.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

You can believe you have a rumour that two cameras are in the model, I don't.

So ...

1) You don't believe that Kevin Rose actually has a source that gave him the info, or

2) that 2 cameras on a 3G iPhone is a reasonable prediction?

Which is it?

It must be #1, considering the huge number of 3G phones which have a secondary camera for video calls.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

So ...

1) You don't believe that Kevin Rose actually has a source that gave him the info, or

2) that 2 cameras on a 3G iPhone is a reasonable prediction?

Which is it?

It must be #1, considering the huge number of 3G phones which have a secondary camera for video calls.

I'm gonna have to go with #2 since Apple hasn't even included a video camera or even MMS, both of which are software updates. I don't see Apple adding a HW feature that has only one use, and one that is nothing more than a novelty. Though, they do include it on most of their Macs, and it's a novelty there too, so who knows.
  • Reply 92 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

that was my first thought. how many people do you see doing video calls outside of telecom commercials and sales rooms? one thing apple does not suffer from is 'featuritis' and adding more hardware to the iphone to appeal to a small percent of potential users is not apple's style. i'm sure there are other features that are more important to a larger base that should be considered first.

For those of us that travel a lot and find ourselves away from our kids, video chatting/calling is a road weary parent's best friend. The kids love to see us and vice versa. If I could do this from my phone, rather than set up a time, coordinate time zones and be in the hotel room when the little ones want to kiss me goodnight, you bet I will. And once you find one use, you'll find more.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superhero View Post

For those of us that travel a lot and find ourselves away from our kids, video chatting/calling is a road weary parent's best friend. The kids love to see us and vice versa. If I could do this from my phone, rather than set up a time, coordinate time zones and be in the hotel room when the little ones want to kiss me goodnight, you bet I will. And once you find one use, you'll find more.

YO BABY IT WORKS.....we took our mb to chicago when my wife and i were away from our 4 and 6 year old for the first time (4days) taught my 6 year old how to do ichat and bingo they and we loved it...let's go over your homeowork chloe.....when i told my wife they might have this in the iphone she yelled out.....we'd get two so we don't have to take the laptop which slows you down in the airport now.

that would be a huge addition
  • Reply 94 of 100
    bgramerbgramer Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I can see them adding that, but not in the next version. Maybe 2 or 3 years time.

They already have a flash. Just make the screen white like how it's done with Photobooth, etc
  • Reply 95 of 100
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bgramer View Post

They already have a flash. Just make the screen white like how it's done with Photobooth, etc

Except that the screen is on one side and the camera is on the other side. You would actually be blinding yourself while trying to take a picture of something else.
  • Reply 96 of 100
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    The screen going white does not constitute an actual flash, I do believe. It's just an effect that looks neat. It doesn't actually do anything useful.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The screen going white does not constitute an actual flash, I do believe. It's just an effect that looks neat. It doesn't actually do anything useful.

It's light, but not enough to be as useful as other lights. It's useful on an iMac, but those have a few tens of times more screen area, and they might even go brighter per area than a phone.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,548member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

It is useful, because the way it works, it pumps up the output to max, while removing everything from the screen.

The iMac, and laptops, can do this because the monitor is built-in. Because of that, the computer can take direct control of the brightness, color, and contrast, which separate monitors (esp. if they aren't Apple's) can't have done to them.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It is useful, because the way it works, it pumps up the output to max, while removing everything from the screen.

The iMac, and laptops, can do this because the monitor is built-in. Because of that, the computer can take direct control of the brightness, color, and contrast, which separate monitors (esp. if they aren't Apple's) can't have done to them.

Given that the little cameras in question aren't any good, I don't think that really matters that much. If the user cared, they can go through the little color profile thing or use one of those calibration bugs. Then the OS should have good enough control, assuming it really needed it.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,548member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Given that the little cameras in question aren't any good, I don't think that really matters that much. If the user cared, they can go through the little color profile thing or use one of those calibration bugs. Then the OS should have good enough control, assuming it really needed it.

It only matters to the point that Apple can pump the screen output high enough to give a good exposure, with the correct while balance for the built-in camera, the while balance for which they know.

That's all we can expect. The camera is certainly good enough for the purpose for which it's intended, which is for video chat (where the screen is left normal) and fun pictures to keep on your machine, send to others, or to use as your image in web sites or other purposes like that.