Apple's iTunes advantage keeps Acer from building iPad challenger

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

From http://www.thefirstreporter.com/tech...#axzz0eIGYbduY

"MSI’s prototype was unveiled at CES 2010 which featured Nvidia’s Tegra line of ARM system-on-chip processor packages loaded with 1 Ghz dual-core ARM Cortex A9 MPCore processor making the device to multitask and play videos at 1080p on the Android platform."

Android, 1080p, better screen proportions, dual core processor, multitasking, open access to codecs and formats.

It seems to solve most of the problem designed into the iPad. Sweet.

then we are all happy, you'll buy the MSI (prototype) whenever that is available in 6months to a year, I'll buy the iPad in 2 months. You'll use yours for awhile then buy an iPad.

back on topic, Acer seems to have a smart leader. At least he knows where he can compete.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    Quote:

"MSI?s prototype was unveiled at CES 2010 which featured Nvidia?s Tegra line of ARM system-on-chip processor packages loaded with 1 Ghz dual-core ARM Cortex A9 MPCore processor making the device to multitask and play videos at 1080p on the Android platform."

Android, 1080p, better screen proportions, dual core processor, multitasking, open access to codecs and formats.

And no integration what so ever with the rest of your digital equipment. It is your choice.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

then we are all happy, you'll buy the MSI (prototype) whenever that is available in 6months to a year, I'll buy the iPad in 2 months. You'll use yours for awhile then buy an iPad.

back on topic, Acer seems to have a smart leader. At least he knows where he can compete.

You give him more credit that I would.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,886member
    Quote:

Who is 'we"?

The rest of us like choice.

Last time I checked, signing up with iTunes is an act of free choice.

Be that as it may. You really think you have choice in this economy where pretty much every major industry is dominated by a handful of corporations? And now the supreme court has granted them free rein to saturate the airwaves with their approved version of what you should be thinking? Maybe you should change your monicker from iGenius to iNaive.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You give him more credit that I would.

Ahh, but he wants "choice" - whatever that actually means in this context. He'll struggle on with Windows (and all the frustration that entails) on a 7-inch photo-frame PC tablet, muttering "I have choice" to himself.

The rest of us will get along just fine with Apples "closed system."
  • Reply 26 of 89
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

And no integration what so ever with the rest of your digital equipment. It is your choice.

probably supports DLNA or whatever the open standard is called
  • Reply 27 of 89
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Do you imagine that it will not have standard I/O? Why not?

And I dunno about "digital equipment", but it promises to handle numerous codecs and formats not available on Apple's stuff.

I am sick of transcoding videos so that they will "just work" on my iPhone. I look forward to a situation in which I get to decide what is playable, instead of some huge multinational corporation.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Acer?? Really?? LOL

Acer builds junk. It's as if they get their ideas for body design from a landfill and then festoon their notebooks with blue lights as a distraction.

What were they going to do? Add another generic touchscreen tablet running some full version of Windows to the pile?

Jeez . . .

How is it news when a company says it has no plans to build something? If Acer doesn't plan to build a touchscreen Tablet, doesn't plan to compete with Apple in this area not sure how this is acutally news.

There are several companies that have built Tablets for a while but Acer as never been one of them.

Also I'm not sure why on this forum members seem to think its a bad idea to have a version of a Desktop OS on a Tablet. Is certainly would have been better to have a version of SL then a version of the iPhone OS.

Steve Jobs seems to spend more time defending what this iPad doesn't have then talking about what it does have. That isn't exactly a good sign when you are always playing defense when it comes to your new killer product.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Last time I checked, signing up with iTunes is an act of free choice.

Yes. But for Apple owners who want content...
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:

"MSI?s prototype was unveiled at CES 2010 which featured Nvidia?s Tegra line of ARM system-on-chip processor packages loaded with 1 Ghz dual-core ARM Cortex A9 MPCore processor making the device to multitask and play videos at 1080p on the Android platform."

The bezel's a shocker.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,886member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Steve Jobs seems to spend more time defending what this iPad doesn't have then talking about what it does have. That isn't exactly a good sign when you are always playing defense when it comes to your new killer product.

The offense comes when the product gets released. Just like with the iPhone. How quickly we forget.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:

I said it 3 or 4 years ago. I'll say it again. iTunes is the secret sauce in Apple's world domination recipe. Someday we will all be running our whole lives through iTunes. Not saying if that's good or bad.

[CENTER]I'm not sure who you think this 'WE' is, but I know legions of computer users who'd never go near iTunes for all manner of very good reasons.

[/CENTER]
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

The offense comes when the product gets released. Just like with the iPhone. How quickly we forget.

It not like the product is going to change. Its still going to be lacking the same features. Everyone keeps comparing this to the iPhone, this is not the same situation. In spite of the analysts or competition saying the iPhone had no place, there was a clear need for a long time for the iPhone. This is not the case with a Tablet, even more so for a Tablet that lacks basis features Windows users consider important.

Remember like the iPod and the iPhone this product needs to be marketed more so to Windows users then to Apple only users. Like the iPhone and iPod this is an add on device that will be used by far more Windows users then Apple users. If it lacks the basic features Windows users want and are use to like Flash, Multi-Tasking, maybe a USB port and HDMI port then it has a hard time taking off.

Something like an HDMI port so you could have hooked up your Tablet to your HDTV to watch iTunes downloaded content would have been so simple to add yet such a key feature. With Apple also talking about being innovative having a Tablet that at some point offers USB 3.0 would also be nice seeing it can transfer 25gb in about 70 seconds.

Steve Jobs was the only one that looked like a fool saying this was going to be the best user experience ever while his browsing lacked Flash support. Not to mention the battery looked like it was draining faster then a car with seven holes in the gas tank.

This is yet again another example of Steve Jobs being in his own world and not relating to what most users want. He wants everyone to shift to what he wants and that just simply isnt going to happen in this case. He can talk all he wants about how things are moving to HTML5 but the fact is Flash is here NOW so make your product support Flash at least for now until everything moves to HTML5.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Steve Jobs was the only one that looked like a fool saying this was going to be the best user experience ever while his browsing lacked Flash support.

Did you ever see the "Chef of the Future" episode of The Honeymooners?
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

At least ACER gets it, they understand why Apple dominated in the market... again other will try, waste billions of dollars trying to compete and fail.... It is going to be another ipod situation all over again.

You my friend have just defined the adjective of being "Zuned"...

To be 'Zuned' one has to "waste billions of dollars trying to compete and fail.... It is going to be another ipod situation all over again." I would also add, 'while screwing over their "Play for Sure" partners.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

And it will fail. Why? Because the techno-weenies like it and they are always wrong about what real users want. You can scream "MULTITASKING" and "1080P" all day long and it means nothing to real users, except the ones who buy technical specs instead of usability and user experience. This has proven to be true in virtually every instance.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And it will fail. Why? Because the techno-weenies like it and they are always wrong about what real users want. You can scream "MULTITASKING" and "1080P" all day long and it means nothing to real users, except the ones who buy technical specs instead of usability and user experience. This has proven to be true in virtually every instance.

Real User: "Why does my movie look so blurry on the iPad compared to my friend's device? Why is it that when I want to pop over to Wikipedia during a boring part of the move, that the movie stops playing? That doesn't happen on my friend's tablet."

User Experience? C'mon.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    Quote:

Exactly, but you forgot one thing: Anyone who doesn't think like a propeller head is a mindless idiot and Steve's love slave.

Maybe one of these hardware companies will be able to make a product with Android that people will actually want to use and own. Probably not, but maybe. Bring on the tablet computer wars, and let the better product win.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    Quote:

Maybe some users don't truly understand the term multi-tasking but it will hit them when they try to work on a Pages document and attempt to stream Pandora at the same time and can't. While they may not understand the term you are a fool to think Multi-tasking in 2010 isn't a basic need.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    At least Scott Lin uses his brains better than this Extremeskater guy, who baffles me with his ignorance.

Unbelievable, this guy really understands zero about Apple and has no problem to show that to everybody.