iPad coming to Walmart stores next week - rumor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What's next, 7 eleven?

99 cents store
  • Reply 22 of 127
    The iPad is being branded as a product for everyone from kids to 100 yrs old grandparents, people of all status, rich or not so rich, from students to doctors, you name it..

It makes sense for a product created for everyone to be available everywhere and within reach of everyone.

The iPad is for the masses. Macs however will continue to be a Tiffanys/boutique product..
  • Reply 23 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

What's really sad are neo-elitist snobs like you.

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been a frequent guest here for the last few months.

I have to say that I've seen way more "snobbish" posts on this site in the past...tis true that in some cases folks tend to com off as a little uppity. But not in this case.

Whether or not you are a fan of Apple's brand, their business model dictates that they sell a more premium product at a higher price. That has been their strategy for years, and is how they have differentiated themselves and positioned themselves in the marketplace.

What's being said here is that Apple has a responsibility to its shareholders to maintain its brand's integrity...and placing their products in a "discount" store waters down the brand and confuses people. "Is this a premium product, or a discount product?"

When companies stray from the mission, vision, and identity that has established them as a category leader, it can spell disaster for their brands.

Gerald apple's post makes no judgement as to the type or quality of patrons at WalMart. It isn't a condemnation of any particular class or segment of society...it's a question of Apple's marketing decision and how it will impact the brand.

And I think it's a valid point that warrants further intelligent discussion, free of inflammatory judgement statements like "neo-elitist snob."
  • Reply 24 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

If Target is not going to display the iPad and also keep them under lock and key, then Apple made a mistake authorizing Target to carry the iPad.

I don't know where this comes from. The Targets in my area have them displayed in the electronic game area. Yes, they are under lock and key but you just have to ask. The only problem is that the people who work in the department don't know much about it. Heck, I sold one while I was waiting for a rain check on another ad product. The clerk could not answer the customer's question about how it works with AT&T. The case is nice and I think they will do well there if they can get a little sales training on the product.
  • Reply 25 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canon'sDad View Post

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been a frequent guest here for the last few months.

I have to say that I've seen way more "snobbish" posts on this site in the past...tis true that in some cases folks tend to com off as a little uppity. But not in this case.

Whether or not you are a fan of Apple's brand, their business model dictates that they sell a more premium product at a higher price. That has been their strategy for years, and is how they have differentiated themselves and positioned themselves in the marketplace.

What's being said here is that Apple has a responsibility to its shareholders to maintain its brand's integrity...and placing their products in a "discount" store waters down the brand and confuses people. "Is this a premium product, or a discount product?"

When companies stray from the mission, vision, and identity that has established them as a category leader, it can spell disaster for their brands.

Gerald apple's post makes no judgement as to the type or quality of patrons at WalMart. It isn't a condemnation of any particular class or segment of society...it's a question of Apple's marketing decision and how it will impact the brand.

And I think it's a valid point that warrants further intelligent discussion, free of inflammatory judgement statements like "neo-elitist snob."

Walmart is as American as Apple pie... unless you are a neo elitist snob.
  • Reply 26 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The iPad is being branded as a product for everyone from kids to 100 yrs old grandparents, people of all status, rich or not so rich, from students to doctors, you name it..

It makes sense for a product created for everyone to be available everywhere and within reach of everyone.

The iPad is for the masses. Macs however will continue to be a Tiffanys/boutique product..

VolksPad
  • Reply 27 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I can imagine them selling good numbers in airports...

I do wonder though what the maximum inventory $$ they are rated to carry is.

I've seen the vending machines..interesting.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Apple to build small "satellite" stores in airports where they only carry ipods, ipads and accessories. I can't count how many times I've bought a crappy-just as expensive-set of earbuds at the airport because I had forgotten/packed away mine. Had there been an Apple "store", I would have at the very least scoped the place out and maybe even bought something more on impulse..

* argument to the contrary.. http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/airport_stores.html

As for walmart, I don't see it as being an issue at all. Apple products will most likely maintain their 'elite' status regardless of where they are sold--and it sure makes the investors happy. Besides, Apple is doing well with Asia so why not make them happy here- it may have been some sort of contractual agreement on the Chinese side- doubtful, but feasible.
  • Reply 28 of 127
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

What's next, 7 eleven?

Why not? Apple wants a wide audience.

They could easily put some of those iPod vending machines into 7-elevens.
  • Reply 29 of 127
    Speaking for myself, I'm going to wait for the second version of the iPad and hope that it has a front facing camera for face time.

I'll be purchasing mine from the Apple store as my union has asked it's members to boycott WalMart.
  • Reply 30 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Apple just ruined their prestige name by letting Walmart carry the i pads. A big marketing mistake on their part. Is Jobs that destitute for money by letting this mediocre company carry his products? Pretty sad on his part.Only Apple Resellers should carry Apple items.

The days of apple being boutique are over. They are now a mass-market CE company.

They will sell their stuff in the largest practicable volume possible. That includes selling their stuff in places where masses on non-elite people shop on a regular basis, like Mall*Wart.

Get used to it.
  • Reply 31 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Canon'sDad View Post

Apple used to be a premium brand. But ever since the success of the iPod, they want to be a mass-market brand.

There's a lot of money to be made selling brand name stuff to the masses. IIRC, brands like Levis and Rubbermaid sell very well at discount department stores, as do Panasonic and Belkin and Apple.

Apple is maintaining their brand integrity, but the nature of the brand is shifting rapidly.
  • Reply 32 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It looks like iGenius/Teckstud has yet another alias based on post count, time since registering and pessimistic attitude toward everything Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whitentosh View Post

Speaking for myself, I'm going to wait for the second version of the iPad and hope that it has a front facing camera for face time.

I'll be purchasing mine from the Apple store as my union has asked it's members to boycott WalMart.

What does your union say about Chinese labor, Blac.... I mean, Whitentosh?
  • Reply 34 of 127
    iriairia Posts: 10member
    The iPad will roll out first to 1,000 stores beginning "week 37" through the end of October

Week 37 in terms of the Calendar year was actually in mid-Sept. Is this report then faux?
  • Reply 35 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iria View Post

The iPad will roll out first to 1,000 stores beginning "week 37" through the end of October

Week 37 in terms of the Calendar year was actually in mid-Sept. Is this report then faux?

It must mean week 37 of Walmart's fiscal calendar which starts on February 1st.
  • Reply 36 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It must mean week 37 of Walmart's fiscal calendar which starts on February 1st.

Since February 1st is week 5 this year, we need to add 4 weeks to get the week from the calendar year. Week 41 starts October 10th, using Sunday as the week start.
  • Reply 37 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What does your union say about Chinese labor, Blac.... I mean, Whitentosh?

I'm sure they are not crazy about it.
  • Reply 38 of 127
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

As for walmart, I don't see it as being an issue at all. Apple products will most likely maintain their 'elite' status regardless of where they are sold--and it sure makes the investors happy.

Absolutely agree with you on that point. There's a difference between an elite product and a snobbish customer segment. Take note that the Targets and WalMarts of this world sell iPods, iPhones (and iPads) at prices identical to any other retailer. The only deviations may be the warehouse clubs that shave 1% to 1.5% from the price, or "combo" specials where the retailer advertises that it will throw in something extra for free or at a discount, such as an iTunes gift card, a case for the device, earphones or some such.

Would one regard an iPod as having descended in status to that of a Zune just because it's being sold at Target? Superior products do not lose the attributes or reputations that make them superior just because they're sold at a mass retailer.

Apple's price discipline is legendary. About the only time we see discounting is in clearing the retail channel of older products when a new model with added features is being introduced, at essentially the same price as the previous version.

At least for the elitists, they can have the satisfaction of obtaining their iPads through their snob-catering stores, without WalMart shoppers laughing at them by buying the product for less. Yes, dear snobs, your so-called product snobbery is all about you and nothing about Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

Apple just ruined their prestige name by letting Walmart carry the i pads. A big marketing mistake on their part. Is Jobs that destitute for money by letting this mediocre company carry his products? Pretty sad on his part.Only Apple Resellers should carry Apple items.

Are the Philippines Walmarts not very nice?

On a more serious level, I left the UK over 20 years ago and I had thought I had left behind class snobbery but I see it is alive and well here in the good old USA too. \
  • Reply 40 of 127
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

On a more serious level, I left the UK over 20 years ago and I had thought I had left behind class snobbery but I see it is alive and well here in the good old USA too. \

The TV series Dallas finished up in 1991, so it may have been a long time since you've been exposed to American-style snobbery. For a more recent, entertaining take on that way it's done here, you may enjoy the following read, published last year:

http://www.amazon.com/Madness-Under-...6648509&sr=1-1