Analysis affirms Apple's A7 processor closer to a desktop CPU than regular mobile chip

Comments

• Reply 121 of 209
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    danox wrote: »
    It called Apple spending R&D money wisely as usual, the A9 or A10 chips will be in a Mac laptop or Mac desktop in the future.

Will be? Do you have proof?

Apple does, this is the same company that had OS X running on Intel chips for nearly 10 before switching to them. When Steve Jobs said OS X on the phone in 2007, I don't he was lying most (tech people) didn't want to believe it, just like Apple building their own chips has constantly derided.

WWDC 2008. This was before after most of us were calling it iOS for the sake of brevity but a year or two before Apple officially named it iOS.

• Reply 122 of 209
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,926member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Not everyone, but plenty did.

2) From what I've seen they aren't. Within Anand's device testing higher-clocked devices with more core, etc. are not beating the new Apple iDevices. But I think this is all beside the point if we don't specifically talk about a performance-per-Watt when it comes to a mobile device.

3) Regarding CPU performance that has mostly been true because we're mostly comparing vendor systems that use a different vendor's CPU. With ARM there are different kinds of licenses. Apple first did what everyone did, but then slowly moved to add more and more of their own designs which became the A-chip to make an SoC that was designed to work with Apple's other HW and OS. This is key and I think Samsung is the only one vendor that could follow Apple here unless Qualcomm wants to starts releasing their own smartphones and tablets. (Anand explains this much better than I ever could… looking for article)

Quote:

Will be? Do you have proof?

WWDC 2008. This was before after most of us were calling it iOS for the sake of brevity but a year or two before Apple officially named it iOS.

Geek Rage love it, happens every time Apple moves forward by the way GTAT and LQMT are still cheap, and so is AAPL.

• Reply 123 of 209

Geek Rage love it, happens every time Apple moves forward by the way GTAT and LQMT are still cheap, and so is AAPL.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 124 of 209
    Exactly. PowerPC–>Intel made a ton of sense. Intel–>ARM doesn’t, and won’t, for a very long time without drastic changes.

You are probably correct in thinking that Mac OS X will not run on ARM CPUs anytime SOON.

However I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility for Apple to introduce a desktop computer that only runs iOS (not a Mac).
    I think this forward looking design shows that Apple is thinking about the future. We could also see ARM CPUs in a next gen server design and definitely if AppleTV is going to be the powerful gaming console we all want.
  • Reply 125 of 209
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,675member

Here's what I think...

The iPhone 6 will have an A8, but it will still be dual core. I don't care what anyone says, having more than two cores in a device so small is overkill. You only need one for processing and one for user interaction.

The next iPad will have an A8X, and it will be quad core. Once apps start appearing that can take full advantage of the power, then Apple will release an iOS based laptop and desktop (all-in-one).

?This will happen by the end of 2015. 

• Reply 126 of 209
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    solipsismx wrote: »

GTAT is GT Advanced Technologies and LQMT is Liquid Metal. No clue what he's saying though. Lol
  • Reply 127 of 209
    We haven't seen an update to the Mac Mini for awhile... nor have we seen an update to the Apple TV for awhile...
    I wonder if Apple is developing an ARM based Mac Mini/ATV combo.

Time will tell.

I think a desktop computer that looks like an iMac but runs iOS and has a 15-17" screen would be more likely. The main difference would be that it comes with a keyboard and no mouse and the stand allows the screen to fold down almost flat.

85-90% of the worlds desktops run Windows and many are looking for an alternative.
  • Reply 128 of 209
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crosslad View Post

My work pc is an intel core 2 duo and runs several demanding program's at the same time: all of the MS office suite, web browser and several GIS systems. Are you suggesting this is not powerful enough for the average home user?

Yes.  It's slow for iLife even maxed out on ram.  

"Several" GIS systems?  Right.  ArcGIS will make a core 2 duo cry even with a SSD and maxed ram.  It's not exactly teh snappy even on a Core i7 with lots of raster layers and working with high rez DEMs.  Some open source ones are okay for very light duty but once you do anything significant you're bogged down.  The usual geotools stuff and geoserver will run on a Core 2 Duo but not under any sort of volume (either users or dataset size) without wasting a huge amount of time.  Your company is penny wise and pound foolish.  It is outright stupid to put any GIS user on a Core 2 Duo.

As hardware advances so does software and its demand for CPU cycles.  There's a reason that Apple specs the Core i5 as the minimum for a Mac.  

• Reply 129 of 209
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WS11 View Post

$315 is the price listed on ARK.

A $37 Z3770 (Silvermont) already outperforms Apple's A7, the Z3795 even more-so. 

14nm Airmont is the replacement to 22nm Silvermont.  Airmont is expected to offer 3x~4x the performance of Silvermont.  Airmont is coming around the time an A8 would release, and Airmont's successor (14nm Goldmont) will be out before Apple's A9. 

x86 compatibility is still important for enterprise. Visio and Project are two must haves for many engineers and the ability to run them inside of VmWare or Parallels is critical to being able to ask for a MBP and not getting no for an answer.  Other domains have similar "must have" apps that typically run on Windows.

Even for the iPad this is an issue.  One key to the iPad (Pro or otherwise) as a replacement for a business laptop/ultrabook is whether Excel macros work correctly in the new iOS Office suite and what business critical apps are missing.  I use my iPad a lot, even for work, but I couldn't get away without a laptop even with all the business web apps now available.

• Reply 130 of 209
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member

I thought Apple was more about the "System", and didn't parrot detailed specs.   The specs didn't matter, the experience is what it's about!!   Oh, that must be only for specs they don't have.   :-)

• Reply 131 of 209
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

You are probably correct in thinking that Mac OS X will not run on ARM CPUs anytime SOON.

However I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility for Apple to introduce a desktop computer that only runs iOS (not a Mac).

I think this forward looking design shows that Apple is thinking about the future. We could also see ARM CPUs in a next gen server design and definitely if AppleTV is going to be the powerful gaming console we all want.

OS X is already running on ARM, and Apple knows exactly how fast it runs and with what software combo.

• Reply 132 of 209
    Quote:

Of course you don't you one of those Geeks in denial.

• Reply 133 of 209
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Here's what I think...

The iPhone 6 will have an A8, but it will still be dual core. I don't care what anyone says, having more than two cores in a device so small is overkill. You only need one for processing and one for user interaction.

The next iPad will have an A8X, and it will be quad core. Once apps start appearing that can take full advantage of the power, then Apple will release an iOS based laptop and desktop (all-in-one).

?This will happen by the end of 2015. 

It will, Apple will leverage their in house cpu, and OS tech to drop the margins all their devices across the line, which means Intel will be given the boot. That's where true innovation comes from and the A7 series and those cpu's that come after, are not some nebulous Google hardware announcement that leads nowhere.

• Reply 134 of 209
    Of course you don't you one of those Geeks in denial.

1) That may b the case but you haven't actually made a salient argument as to why or what you believe I'm in denial about.

2) I'd lay off the personal attacks if I were you.
  • Reply 135 of 209
    Quote:

Originally Posted by phalanx View Post

I thought Apple was more about the "System", and didn't parrot detailed specs.   The specs didn't matter, the experience is what it's about!!   Oh, that must be only for specs they don't have.   :-)

Apple's not above specs, but they announce it, it works and it ships soon after. It's been two years the general public is still waiting for Google Glasses.

• Reply 136 of 209
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    OS X is already running on ARM, and Apple knows exactly how fast it runs and with what software combo.

Link?
  • Reply 137 of 209
    philboogie wrote: »
    Link?

I'm still waiting for his link to the A9 and A10 processors being in Macs in a year.
  • Reply 138 of 209
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    philboogie wrote: »

Link?

I suspect he is right! It would surprise me if Apple does not have OSX running on an iPad [something] with both touch and desktop UIs -- It's called R&D! Same for iOS on Intel [Macs?].

Though, he'll never be able to provide a citation!
  • Reply 139 of 209
    I suspect he is right! It would surprise me if Apple does not have OSX running on an iPad [something] with both touch and desktop UIs -- It's called R&D! Same for iOS on Intel [Macs?].

There is an infinitely wide divide between his statements and yours. You merely stated it wouldn't surprise you if Apple had something like in their skunkworks divisions. I agree. He wrote "the A9 or A10 chips will be in a Mac laptop or Mac desktop" as well as a bunch of other statements that are in no way worded as opinions, assumptions or desires.
  • Reply 140 of 209
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    solipsismx wrote: »

There is an infinitely wide divide between his statements and yours. You merely stated it wouldn't surprise you if Apple had something like in their skunkworks divisions. I agree. He wrote "the A9 or A10 chips will be in a Mac laptop or Mac desktop" as well as a bunch of other statements that are in no way worded as opinions, assumptions or desires.

Yep! It's also fairly easy to predict that Apple has various versions of operating systems that they make running on various versions of hardware that they make.

What is more difficult to predict is what will be on this year's, next year's or the year after's SOC! It's much more than just increasing the density of transistors. For example they could include RAM and the radios within the package.

Without inside knowledge, it's kind of silly to try to predict what will be in an SOC package more than a year down the road.