Aluminum Display - (Apple slideshow leak?)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robo

Nice looking mockups, but i'm 99.9% sure you just saw a regular Cinema Display reflecting the light funny or something. It's not the first time that the Cinema Display has been mistaken for aluminum in a photo.

I have used a 22" inch Cinema display for about three years now. I know what they look like.

Quote:

Originally posted by robo

I do not think many people at Apple have access to secret new products. Least of all some guy doing a 'learn to use OS X' presentation to a MUG.

I agree. However, the "some guy" was an Apple Systems engineer. .. and the image appeared as a portion of a single slide in either Keynote or PowerPoint. This was not a MUG event.

MSKR
  • Reply 42 of 115
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

I dont know about the display, but could someone post that desktop image

I don't think it's a desktop picture... it's Photoshop 7 (only tool palette visible)

an "official" promo picture would probably want to show the newest s/w versions
  • Reply 43 of 115
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Messiahtosh, I think you're looking too hard and exerting quite a bit of energy for such small returns. Pull back on the reins a tad: a slideshow "leaks" a new display AND an official Apple T-shirt points the way to a new iPod? Both in one day?

Will you see a new iBook design in your Pop-Tart tomorrow morning?

I didnt post this topic and I dont eat pop tarts.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hahaha...I just NOW looked and realized Masker - not Messiahtosh - started this thread. Looks like I jumped the gun and owe Messiahtosh a small, half-assed apology.

I'm sorryyyyyyy. *mumble, mumble*

But can you blame me?

It SOUNDS like something you'd start.

Pop-Tarts are good. Try 'em!
  • Reply 45 of 115
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
  • Reply 46 of 115
    How about this:

1. the display, just like the other pic

2. the legs "fold" up to the back, so as to not be visible from the front, and then can hang on a wall.

3. The legs can also stick at a certain point, allowing it to be adjustable.

4. Attached with optional iMac-like stand.

What do you think?
  • Reply 47 of 115
    The words "too complicated" spring to mind. That's definitely not something Ives would let be designed.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

The words "too complicated" spring to mind. That's definitely not something Ives would let be designed.

I'm gonna second that. It's very un-Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Masker

[B]I attended an "event" recently and during several of the presentations, a slide was shown that showed a 23" or larger aluminum display beside an Apple Tower.

I asked someone about the display and they said, "I don't know what that is... (name deleted) put this slide show together and no telling where ____ pulled that image from..."

I saw the sllide for about 2-3 secs and an Apple guy clicked right by it without flinching. In case your wondering if a bunch of people stood up immediately and say "HEY! AN ALUMINUM DISPLAY!!!!", this was not the case, the room was full of mac users but not any hardcore future hardware types like me. Was mostly an older crowd wanting to know hot to start using OS X, etc, you get the idea.

Apple using a slide projector? Unless your saying that you saw an apple presentation... in keynote slides although from the tone of your post I dont think so. Dude! think different.... ala

keynote... Would apple really do a slide presentation... get a better story.

Nice try and good mockup to expalin with no cheese grater design...Nothing to see here... move along....
  • Reply 50 of 115
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Apple using a slide projector? Unless your saying that you saw an apple presentation... in keynote slides although from the tone of your post I dont think so. Dude! think different.... ala

Nice try and good mockup to expalin with no cheese grater design...Nothing to see here... move along....

I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of this report but I don't know how you got 'slide projector' as in old fashion 35mm slides... In both PowerPoint and Keynote individual 'frames' are still referred to as slides and they are still 'projected' by a projector...

Dave
  • Reply 51 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lightningrod220

4. Attached with optional iMac-like stand.

What do you think?

Why put a neutron star to the dome just to avoid the screen to fall on your head? Do you realise, I hope, that the 20" iMac weighs 18.2 kg, but there is a computer therein.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

ADC only, has got to go. I just sold a 17" Studio Display and it took months. Nobody wants anything to do with ADC. It's nice if you have a recent Mac tower, but only then.

what i've always found odd is that ADC is only to be found on towers. yet apple make this big thing about how you can hook up your powerbook to a sexy 23" cinema display *with optional adaptor. just seems a very inelegant, and un-apple-like solution.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

what i've always found odd is that ADC is only to be found on towers. yet apple make this big thing about how you can hook up your powerbook to a sexy 23" cinema display *with optional adaptor. just seems a very inelegant, and un-apple-like solution.

ADC has to supply 130W of power, which is quite completely beyond the capability of a PowerBook or its power supply. That's why you only see it in towers.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, ADC was introduced before DVI was available on any PowerBook. If every display needs a power supply, it aught to be built into the display not in a separate dongle. ADC would be elegant only if it was built into every computer, which it's not. DVI is becoming the standard.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

I'm not commenting on the legitimacy of this report but I don't know how you got 'slide projector' as in old fashion 35mm slides... In both PowerPoint and Keynote individual 'frames' are still referred to as slides and they are still 'projected' by a projector...

Dave

GeeDave! note my irony...

that was the question i was asking ... the post sounded more like it was a real slide projector .... I was not making the point that it was... anywho my post was more a reflection on the way some at fh comes up with those i know so and so who brother knows the sister of sj... rumours. what would be cool to see in fh is real evidence ie some specs... or even a trademark or patent listing except this is more hey i can use photoshop ( although its done quite well i have to give ) and i want to show off with a rumour to get people here... Instead it would be great if soemone just posted the title my take on the new cinema displays... Its a pity good art work goes along with such crap. im not flaming anyone here hoping that FH will get back to the reason I first came to apple insider... the promise that there are a few on the boards that have an inside edge of knowledge that they wish to share Its been so long since anyone on this post had "I have real proof" credible information since the power mac MDD pics which were totally not to be seen
  • Reply 56 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

ADC has to supply 130W of power, which is quite completely beyond the capability of a PowerBook or its power supply. That's why you only see it in towers.

Stupid question... how does DVI to ADC on a powerbook connected to a apple display work then?... is there a wattage increase? or does the display get its power from a mains source...and just take a signal from the powerbook I thought the whole idea of DVI and ADC was to supply power and signal together?
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Stupid question... how does DVI to ADC on a powerbook connected to a apple display work then?... is there a wattage increase? or does the display get its power from a mains source...and just take a signal from the powerbook I thought the whole idea of DVI and ADC was to supply power and signal together?

The DVI to ADC adapter is plugged in the wall and supplies the power to the display. Video signal and USB come from the computer.
  • Reply 58 of 115
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

The DVI to ADC adapter is plugged in the wall and supplies the power to the display. Video signal and USB come from the computer.

always wondered why you have to keep the charger hooked to the PB with the DVI-ADC converter in use?
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

always wondered why you have to keep the charger hooked to the PB with the DVI-ADC converter in use?

You don't have to. If you want to use a PowerBook in closed-lid-mode, for some reason you have to have the PowerBook connected to its power adapter, otherwise it sleeps when the lid is closed.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I've update the image slightly. I'm thinking a very similar image is going to show up on Apple's website before this month is out.

Quote:

Originally posted by Celco: Resident Judge of Truth

"and the image appeared as a portion of a single slide in either Keynote or PowerPoint." <= Me say this.

Why would a LCD display need the mesh? i could see a little on the back, but there would be no need for it aesthetically.

Also, a couple of points to emphasize... I did not make this story up, it actually happened. The image i saw took up about 1/4 of one "slide" - you know - a single frame in a "slide show presentation".. (Semantics.) This slide had type over it regarding specialized hardware for this "specialized event".

I'm not claiming the slide is real or official, but a follow up call to "some guy" revealed that it came from Apple. (let the stones fly)

MSKR