Apple may be working with AT&T on iPhone tethering plan

Comments

• Reply 81 of 164
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Even though we can only speculate AT&T's motivation at this point. I think the stability of its new HDSPA network is more of a concern for them at this point than the potential of people using VOIP.

Teno, HSDPA has been around more than a day. If AT&T is so incompetent as to not hire competent network planners, and network engineers, but still has the competence to charge money for this incompetence and then have the faithful come to their rescue time and time again, it makes me glad that I do not have to use AT&T for jack. The technology is proven. It works. Other countries seem to get it right, but oh no. AT&T is fragile like a new born. Sorry but the tech is mature enough and AT&T has formed a legion of Kool Aid drinkers that will gladly sip away. I may not always agree with you, I do respect your opinions.

I have a very hard time believing any of this simply because I use 3G/HSDPA, etc.... daily and have network planning experience, so it is a bit harder to BS me about this. Also, I have resources in the operators as well as Nokia and SonyEricsson I can turn to when I need an answer.
  • Reply 82 of 164
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Do you mean 3G or unlimited data? Not sure which one or both.

You can go to www.sonera.fi or www.elisa.fi, or www.dnafinland.fi and get an idea of the service plans. They are in finish but 3G is 3G in any language. I am on Sonera utilizing unlimited data for 9? a month, actually more like 10?.

Is that what you mean?

Bloggerblog stated, "Man... I can't wait till 2010 so I can be the first to drop AT&T once and for all. Yeah I'll even take T-Mobile over AT&T"

My comment was, "Unless a few things change, it really won't work.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...n-unlocke.html

Bloggerblog in return said, "Once the contract between Apple and AT&T is over, T-mobile's network will become fully compatible with the iPhone, they already have the technology working in Europe."

To which you responded, "Have had the technology working and here unlimited means just that. No limits. Not these "soft" limits."

And my retort to you was, "Please supply examples with references. Thank you."

Which, obviously was in reference to 3g. I am not sure how "unlimited" got in the mix.
  • Reply 83 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Bloggerblog stated, "Man... I can't wait till 2010 so I can be the first to drop AT&T once and for all. Yeah I'll even take T-Mobile over AT&T"

My comment was, "Unless a few things change, it really won't work.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...n-unlocke.html

Bloggerblog in return said, "Once the contract between Apple and AT&T is over, T-mobile's network will become fully compatible with the iPhone, they already have the technology working in Europe."

To which you responded, "Have had the technology working and here unlimited means just that. No limits. Not these "soft" limits."

And my retort to you was, "Please supply examples with references. Thank you."

Which, obviously was in reference to 3g. I am not sure how "unlimited" got in the mix.

Okay. I think I got you now. I think you know that there is 3G in Finland right? I think I spotted somewhere in the thread someone mentioning 3G and unlimited data and then they mentioned something about unlimited not really being unlimited. I was answering Bloggerman when he said :
    Quote:

"Once the contract between Apple and AT&T is over, T-mobile's network will become fully compatible with the iPhone, they already have the technology working in Europe."

Well they have had 3G for a while and the data plans are unlimited. Pretty straight forward.
  • Reply 84 of 164
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Teno, HSDPA has been around more than a day. If AT&T is so incompetent as to not hire competent network planners, and network engineers, but still has the competence to charge money for this incompetence and then have the faithful come to their rescue time and time again, it makes me glad that I do not have to use AT&T for jack. The technology is proven. It works. Other countries seem to get it right, but oh no. AT&T is fragile like a new born. Sorry but the tech is mature enough and AT&T has formed a legion of Kool Aid drinkers that will gladly sip away. I may not always agree with you, I do respect your opinions.

I have a very hard time believing any of this simply because I use 3G/HSDPA, etc.... daily and have network planning experience, so it is a bit harder to BS me about this. Also, I have resources in the operators as well as Nokia and SonyEricsson I can turn to when I need an answer.

HDSPA has been around for awhile but it's new for ATT. You say you understand network technology. You should be able to recognize an understand it takes some time to launch, stabilize, and scale new technology. The need to go through this process has nothing to do with incompetence. The length of time it takes could though.

It's not fair to compare ATT to other carriers who have had the technology for awhile and have had years head start to work out bugs an stabalize the network.
  • Reply 85 of 164
    Quote:

HDSPA has been around for awhile but it's new for ATT. You say you understand network technology. You should be able to recognize an understand it takes some time to launch, stabilize, and scale new technology. The need to go through this process has nothing to do with incompetence. The length of time it takes could though.

It's not fair to compare ATT to other carriers who have had the technology for awhile and have had years head start to work out bugs an stabalize the network.

Tenobell, this is not necessarily specialized stuff. Maybe the billing system, BSS and OSS, but for the most part this is off the shelf stuff. Let's agree to disagree on this one. You believe AT&T and are willing to give them benefit of the doubt, but I'm not. I think they are pulling your leg and you are simply believing them. They will continue to fail as long as you continue to allow them to. They do seem to manage to get your money every month without fail. Try this and see what happens. Don't pay for a month and tell them that you are scaling your paycheck and you need to stabilize a bit more but soon things will work out to where you can pay them. You will be TRW'd and disconnected faster than a cat can lick its butt. You do not seem to be bothered by this kind of service but I know things can be better and many operators are making the grade.
  • Reply 86 of 164
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,467member
    Quote:

Okay. I think I got you now. I think you know that there is 3G in Finland right? I think I spotted somewhere in the thread someone mentioning 3G and unlimited data and then they mentioned something about unlimited not really being unlimited. I was answering Bloggerman when he said :

Well they have had 3G for a while and the data plans are unlimited. Pretty straight forward.

We also have unlimited data with AT&T in the US but not tethered. Can you guys use your iPhone's 3G network to browse the internet using your laptop without having to pay an additional $30 per month?
  • Reply 87 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

We also have unlimited data with AT&T in the US but not tethered. Can you guys use your iPhone's 3G network to browse the internet using your laptop without having to pay an additional $30 per month?

Yes. I do this often. As I stated, not as clearly as I thought, here the operators simply do not care. They are pushing mobile data. They sell you GSM modems that connect to your laptop and encourage you to use this. Many to most Finns no longer have landlines, unless they want faster than 7.2 mb/s data speeds. As an example, many people coming into the Embassy now, opt for the GSM modem with 7.2 mb/s and unlimited data rather than going for a fixed connection at home. AT&T is screwing you and there are some here in this forum that apologize and are for giving them benefit of the doubt, but fact is, AT&T are either incredibly incompetent or just uber stupid.

p.s. Here, unlimited is just that. Unlimited. No data caps.
  • Reply 88 of 164
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Yes. I do this often. As I stated, not as clearly as I thought, here the operators simply do not care. They are pushing mobile data. They sell you GSM modems that connect to your laptop and encourage you to use this. Many to most Finns no longer have landlines, unless they want faster than 7.2 mb/s data speeds. As an example, many people coming into the Embassy now, opt for the GSM modem with 7.2 mb/s and unlimited data rather than going for a fixed connection at home. AT&T is screwing you and there are some here in this forum that apologize and are for giving them benefit of the doubt, but fact is, AT&T are either incredibly incompetent or just uber stupid.

Big question. What do you get and how much?

Sorry, but I just realized that is two questions.
  • Reply 89 of 164
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

AT&T is screwing you and there are some here in this forum that apologize and are for giving them benefit of the doubt, but fact is, AT&T are either incredibly incompetent or just uber stupid.

Yes, because provisioning for a country with 5M people who mostly live in Helsinki, Tampere, Truku and Oulu is on the same level of difficulty as provisioning for a country of 281M which range in density from 26K/sq mi (NYC) to far less than 80/sq mi. The largest city in Finland is Helsinki with 1M folks. The largest city in the US is NY with 8M folks...or almost twice the size of Finland crammed into one city. Helsinki's population density is 8K/sq mi in comparison to NYC's 26K.

Amusingly, my city has a density of 9K/sq mi (600K total population) with 5.3M in the total metropolitan area and my AT&T service is good.

Yes, AT&T is just uber stupid.
  • Reply 90 of 164
    Quote:

Alright! Move over Sapporo I'm leaving for Finland baby.
  • Reply 91 of 164
    Quote:

Big question. What do you get and how much?

Sorry, but I just realized that is two questions.

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean data speeds or how much of that? Sorry. Lost here on that.
  • Reply 92 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Yes, because provisioning for a country with 5M people who mostly live in Helsinki, Tampere, Truku and Oulu is on the same level of difficulty as provisioning for a country of 281M which range in density from 26K/sq mi (NYC) to far less than 80/sq mi. The largest city in Finland is Helsinki with 1M folks. The largest city in the US is NY with 8M folks...or almost twice the size of Finland crammed into one city. Helsinki's population density is 8K/sq mi in comparison to NYC's 26K.

Amusingly, my city has a density of 9K/sq mi (600K total population) with 5.3M in the total metropolitan area and my AT&T service is good.

Yes, AT&T is just uber stupid.

And this means what? then AT&T's network is not up to the task. You seem to act as though this is rocket science. You plan your capacity for the number of subscribers you think you will have then you add an over-capacity debt in case for some miracle, people decide to just go nuts. Then you program your network, which should be an IN, to handle over-capacity spikes. Pretty simple, and yes they are stupid in my book but by all means continue to believe what they tell you and by all means, continue to pay for crappy service. By the way, I just happen to currently live in Finland based on the needs of the US govt but if you want, you can add the ME, several countries in Europe to the mix as well, and still I have had no problems tethering my phone (s) to my laptop. I guess these other operators somehow managed to figure out what AT&T can't.

What we have here is a difference of opinion and this is cool. It's all good. You believe what you believe and I will do likewise.
  • Reply 93 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Alright! Move over Sapporo I'm leaving for Finland baby.

Plenty for room. I am only scheduled to be here another year, but you can have my spot. Hope you like reindeer meat, or elk.

I some info showing sites with their data plans back a few posts ago.
  • Reply 94 of 164
    Quote:

You of course completely ignore the fact that it is much easier and cheaper to provide service in Finland than in the United States.
  • Reply 95 of 164
    Quote:

And this means what? then AT&T's network is not up to the task. You seem to act as though this is rocket science. You plan your capacity for the number of subscribers you think you will have then you add an over-capacity debt in case for some miracle, people decide to just go nuts. Then you program your network, which should be an IN, to handle over-capacity spikes. Pretty simple, and yes they are stupid in my book but by all means continue to believe what they tell you and by all means, continue to pay for crappy service. By the way, I just happen to currently live in Finland based on the needs of the US govt but if you want, you can add the ME, several countries in Europe to the mix as well, and still I have had no problems tethering my phone (s) to my laptop. I guess these other operators somehow managed to figure out what AT&T can't.

What we have here is a difference of opinion and this is cool. It's all good. You believe what you believe and I will do likewise.

In light of the fact European providers had the forsite to launch their 3G networks when no one was really using mobile data. They were able to mature and grow the network over years as 3G use slowly increased.

You are saying these expert mobile engineers you know told you that AT&T should instantly be able to provide 3G over 9 million square km to hundreds of millions of people. At the same time of launching a popular phone that demands a heavy load from this new 3G network. They told you this is easy and if AT&T couldn't do it they are incompetent. I don't believe this would be their stance.
  • Reply 96 of 164
    Quote:

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean data speeds or how much of that? Sorry. Lost here on that.

Example: My Monthly Charges

Service:.................................................. .......$.............................Description

Voice .............................................. $27 ..................300 minutes family plan (3 cell phones)

.................................................. ................................free weekend and evening starting at 6PM

Data Usage Plan .............................. $30 ..................6Gbs (only used 42MBs)

3G Visual Voicemail Value Pack ........$11...................(1st month free) Visual Voicemail, Call Display,

.................................................. ................................WhoCalled™ & 2,500 Sent Text Messages (incoming are free)

System Access Fee .............................$6.95

Total ................................................$74.95
  • Reply 97 of 164
    Quote:

Have you read the blogs?

Do not all carriers charge extra in some form or other for tethering?

Are not most of the comments above demanding free tethering?

Does not the article suggest that there are movements toward providing a tethering plan?

With Rogers and Fido their Smartphone data plans allow the user to tether. The only time the user would pay extra on one of these plans is if they go over the data bucket for the month. The $30.00 MSF 6 GB Smartphone data plan sold by Rogers and Fido allows enough data to do both browsing and a few file transfers. The only data plans that don't allow tethering is their Vision plans for the Vision phones such as the Sony Ericsson K850i, LG TU720 Shine, Samsung A736, etc. The reason for this is the Vision plans only give unlimited browsing on select websites which have the links in the phone browser menu. Anything else is subject to pay per use data charges at $0.05/KB.
  • Reply 98 of 164
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

You of course completely ignore the fact that it is much easier and cheaper to provide service in Finland than in the United States.

But the USA has a population some 58 times that of Finland, but only the land area 30 times bigger. Why couldn't they provide a similar service?
  • Reply 99 of 164
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

In light of the fact European providers had the forsite to launch their 3G networks when no one was really using mobile data. They were able to mature and grow the network over years as 3G use slowly increased.

Mobile data has been available, and has been in use for a very long time, well prior to 3G

Quote:

You are saying these expert mobile engineers you know told you that AT&T should instantly be able to provide 3G over 9 million square km to hundreds of millions of people. At the same time of launching a popular phone that demands a heavy load from this new 3G network. They told you this is easy and if AT&T couldn't do it they are incompetent. I don't believe this would be their stance.

Well there are network providers that have been manufacturing these networks for quite a while now, if they purchased their network off someone with experience in this field, then yes, they should have been able to get very good support (if they had been willing to pay for it).

But providing the network to the entire US? I couldn't imagine that AT&T would pay for that much coverage
  • Reply 100 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

With Rogers and Fido their Smartphone data plans allow the user to tether. The only time the user would pay extra on one of these plans is if they go over the data bucket for the month. The $30.00 MSF 6 GB Smartphone data plan sold by Rogers and Fido allows enough data to do both browsing and a few file transfers. The only data plans that don't allow tethering is their Vision plans for the Vision phones such as the Sony Ericsson K850i, LG TU720 Shine, Samsung A736, etc. The reason for this is the Vision plans only give unlimited browsing on select websites which have the links in the phone browser menu. Anything else is subject to pay per use data charges at $0.05/KB.

Well aware of it. Use NetShare, but very seldom, because Wi-Fi is so readably available and a hell of a lot faster and of course, totally free.