Apple may be working with AT&T on iPhone tethering plan

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 164
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by captaincore View Post

that's it i'm moving to finland!

It has a lot to do with population concentrated in a few cities in Finland and Sweden. Their capitals, the Greater Helsinki area and Stockholm represents 25% of their whole country's population.

Canada has faster 3G iphone service than the US according to the wired.com survey (solid 2nd place in the world in terms of speed) --- even though Canada is larger in size than the US and only 10% in population (when compared to the US).

The reason --- most of us (I am a Canadian) live within the 5-6 largest cities in Canada. 1/3 of our population lives in the metropolitan area of 3 cities --- Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
  • Reply 162 of 164
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

France should be concerned about why the second largest country in Europe --- only have 3 national carriers (and none of them foreign owned).

They have 64 million population and you are worried about them only having three carriers? The USA only has 4 carriers for 300 million people.

Quote:

If a country has sufficient competition --- there is no need to have simlocking laws. Both AT&T and T-Mobile USA offer unlocking codes to their customers for free after 90 days --- without any US simlocking laws. You can't do much with German telecom industries --- when the German government still owns a big chuck of DT.

Like I said, a lot don't have any laws regarding SIM locking

But since you are just here for an argument, I am giving up, I have better things to do with my time.
  • Reply 163 of 164
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They have 64 million population and you are worried about them only having three carriers? The USA only has 4 carriers for 300 million people.

Like I said, a lot don't have any laws regarding SIM locking

But since you are just here for an argument, I am giving up, I have better things to do with my time.

US used to have 6 national carriers --- before the Republican administration allows all kinds of big mergers. And the competition lessens when it went from 6 competitors down to 4 competitors. No doubt about that.

French carriers were found guilty by their own government to be colluding with each other on price fixing. That's the amount of competition in France.

Like I said, there is no need for simlocking laws --- if they are largely ineffective in the first place. UK doesn't have simlocking laws --- 3UK had superglued sim cards into some of their prepaid phone permanently --- but notice UK also has one of the best iphone plans in the world. Competition is the most important point.
  • Reply 164 of 164
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

US used to have 6 national carriers --- before the Republican administration allows all kinds of big mergers. And the competition lessens when it went from 6 competitors down to 4 competitors. No doubt about that.

French carriers were found guilty by their own government to be colluding with each other on price fixing. That's the amount of competition in France.

Like I said, there is no need for simlocking laws --- if they are largely ineffective in the first place. UK doesn't have simlocking laws --- 3UK had superglued sim cards into some of their prepaid phone permanently --- but notice UK also has one of the best iphone plans in the world. Competition is the most important point.

Republican/Democratic, America allowed the consolidation. Furthermore, money is always the most important point because that is what says what goes where, how, when, why, and what time. Competition being great for consumers is side effect at the moment when talking cell phones in the US.