Apple may be working with AT&T on iPhone tethering plan

Comments

• Reply 141 of 164
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes each state has it's own government, certain state rights, and certain ability to pass indivdual laws. But generally state law cannot supercede federal laws. None of that has anything to do with AT&T network.

ok, back to the point I was trying to make.

You all moan that the states is so huge and that is why AT&T have issues, bottom line, they can break it down to 50 projects and do it that way, other network providers do, and it works for them
  • Reply 142 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The data plans certainly is an important factor of network deployment --- it's going to tell us if people are downloading all the time. If everybody takes the 250 MB iphone data plan in one country (less than 10 MB a day) --- they are not going to put stress on the network. And if that network has the same speed in the survey as another network (like AT&T where everybody is downloading like crazy) --- then it doesn't look good for the first network.

No, it could be that the first network provider just likes restricting things. Maybe they pay more for traffic than they do in the US?
  • Reply 143 of 164
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No, it could be that the first network provider just likes restricting things. Maybe they pay more for traffic than they do in the US?

So you are telling me that European carriers get to charge you more money for data, give you less data allowance per month and give you the same speed as AT&T --- and that's good network management for the European carriers.

For me, network management means giving customers the best price, for the best service with the best speed. Not a lot of countries can get a 3G iphone with a monthly plan as cheap as AT&T, get a 5 GB download allowance per month and get 700-900 kbps in speed. That is the definition of network management.

Everything is part of network management --- including restricting things (and people like to talk about how the evil American CDMA carriers like Verizon Wireless nickel and dime everything and restrict this and that).

What we have here is --- American carriers ACCURATELY advertised their 3G networks correctly. Both AT&T and Verizon Wireless advertised their 3G networks to have speeds between high hundreds kbps to 1.4 mbps.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25791

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...5%7D&dist=hppr

European carriers like to boost about their 3G networks to be 7.2 mbps or 14 mbps and then gives you 10% of that speed in real life --- that's network mismanagement.
  • Reply 144 of 164
    Quote:

ok, back to the point I was trying to make.

You all moan that the states is so huge and that is why AT&T have issues, bottom line, they can break it down to 50 projects and do it that way, other network providers do, and it works for them

No, we don't have to do that. You can just look at Vodafone which operates in 20-30 countries (and sells 3G iphones in multiple countries) --- and they aren't even listed in the top 3 in the iphone speed rating. You can also look at Orange which also sells iphone in multiple countries and not listed in the top 3.
  • Reply 145 of 164
    Quote:

European carriers like to boost about their 3G networks to be 7.2 mbps or 14 mbps and then gives you 10% of that speed in real life --- that's network mismanagement.

Actually it is more of a lie or misleading advertising.

By the way, I corrected your statement about Nokia dropping VoIP. I guess you didn't see or the PM is sent you mentioning that you were wrong. Anyway, you were wrong Nokia didn't remove the capability.
  • Reply 146 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Actually it is more of a lie or misleading advertising.

By the way, I corrected your statement about Nokia dropping VoIP. I guess you didn't see or the PM is sent you mentioning that you were wrong. Anyway, you were wrong Nokia didn't remove the capability.

Misleading advertising is the major reason why people think that the US is behind in wireless broadband and wire broadband. It seems that every country (except the US) is selling 10+ mbps ASDL lines --- well, of course the US is behind because a lot of carriers around the world are lying about network speed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_ne...00/7003113.stm

Om Malik thinks the Nokia response is garbage.

http://gigaom.com/2008/08/28/nokia-c...es-voip-plans/

Of course, Nokia is saying that they are not removing stuff --- but actions speak louder than words.
  • Reply 147 of 164
    Quote:

Misleading advertising is the major reason why people think that the US is behind in wireless broadband and wire broadband. It seems that every country (except the US) is selling 10+ mbps ASDL lines --- well, of course the US is behind because a lot of carriers around the world are lying about network speed.

http://gigaom.com/2008/08/28/nokia-c...es-voip-plans/

Of course, Nokia is saying that they are not removing stuff --- but actions speak louder than words.

If Fring or Gizmo5 works on the phones then guess what? VoIP works and Om is wrong. Just because they remove their built in which no one uses because it is to complicated to set up, so in this case Nokia did the right thing. If people want VoIP there are plenty of applications out there to use.
  • Reply 148 of 164
    Quote:

So you are telling me that European carriers get to charge you more money for data, give you less data allowance per month and give you the same speed as AT&T --- and that's good network management for the European carriers.

No, some are only doing this for iPhone planes, you can get other 3G phones from them and use them with much better plans.

They looked at the US, thought they were going to make tonnes of money selling a limited device, with limited plans and it failed for them.

Remember these companies, (Nokia, Apple, the networks) are in this for the money, not to make the world a better place, if they can screw someone to make more money, they will.

Quote:

For me, network management means giving customers the best price, for the best service with the best speed. Not a lot of countries can get a 3G iphone with a monthly plan as cheap as AT&T, get a 5 GB download allowance per month and get 700-900 kbps in speed. That is the definition of network management.

Which happens with competition. AT&T had to compete with the CDMAOne networks in the US, which have historically been much better there. They needed something to bring people over.

Quote:

What we have here is --- American carriers ACCURATELY advertised their 3G networks correctly. Both AT&T and Verizon Wireless advertised their 3G networks to have speeds between high hundreds kbps to 1.4 mbps.

If they do, then why has people started suing...

Quote:

You know this from experience? I don't know what speed people get in the US, I don't know what speed iPhone users get in the other countries, but I do know that you cannot judge this on a little random survey that a magazine came up with.
  • Reply 149 of 164
    Quote:

No, we don't have to do that. You can just look at Vodafone which operates in 20-30 countries (and sells 3G iphones in multiple countries) --- and they aren't even listed in the top 3 in the iphone speed rating. You can also look at Orange which also sells iphone in multiple countries and not listed in the top 3.

They don't sell the phone in many of their networks.

And, as I have said, that wired thing isn't a real viewpoint.
  • Reply 150 of 164
    Quote:

So you quote one country and say that everyone is doing it? Ofcom has been dealing with the situation in the UK for a while now. Congratulations, by the way, on quoting a year old article...

Quote:

What? A random blogger writes something and everyone is meant to stop in their tracks.

There are plenty writing bad things about Apple, why don't you mention those?
  • Reply 151 of 164
    Quote:

So you quote one country and say that everyone is doing it? Ofcom has been dealing with the situation in the UK for a while now. Congratulations, by the way, on quoting a year old article...

What? A random blogger writes something and everyone is meant to stop in their tracks.

The fact that I went to a local store today and asked to see if Fring or Gizmo5 works on the N78 and then installed it, and it did work tells me that Om is full of garbage. As I stated, no one was using the Nokia SIP client as it was generally to hard for most people to configure.
  • Reply 152 of 164
    These studies also do not take into account the fact that many people are now opting to get GSM Modems for data rather than using wired DSL connections.
  • Reply 153 of 164
    Quote:

No, some are only doing this for iPhone planes, you can get other 3G phones from them and use them with much better plans.

They looked at the US, thought they were going to make tonnes of money selling a limited device, with limited plans and it failed for them.

Which happens with competition. AT&T had to compete with the CDMAOne networks in the US, which have historically been much better there. They needed something to bring people over.

If they do, then why has people started suing...

You know this from experience? I don't know what speed people get in the US, I don't know what speed iPhone users get in the other countries, but I do know that you cannot judge this on a little random survey that a magazine came up with.

Quote:

They don't sell the phone in many of their networks.

And, as I have said, that wired thing isn't a real viewpoint.

Quote:

If you look at regular priced data plans --- Americans are still getting cheaper data plans.

Random survey --- serves a purpose --- precisely because it's random. Wired.com devised a simple and yet standardized way to measure speed. Over 2500 sampling data gives you pretty good accuracy. It has probably more sampling data than your average Presidential election survey (which typically have a 1000 sampling data).

CDMA does have better data networks --- which is precisely why American GSM carriers have to work extra hard in terms of network management in order to survive. Having a hetero-network environment competing against each other --- gives customers a better deal.

Vodafone and Orange don't have to sell iphones in a lot of countries. Samething as AT&T doesn't have to sell a lot of iphones in Idaho.

Mis-selling is mis-selling. You can look at wireless network carriers in other parts of the world vs US. Everybody else is mis-selling their networks to be 7.2 mbps or 14 mbps. Everybody knows that this is the peak speed and real average speed is closer to 1 mbps. If the governments allow mis-selling in wireless, I don't see them cracking down on mis-selling on ASDL speed.
  • Reply 154 of 164
    Quote:

Random survey --- serves a purpose --- precisely because it's random. Wired.com devised a simple and yet standardized way to measure speed. Over 2500 sampling data gives you pretty good accuracy. It has probably more sampling data than your average Presidential election survey (which typically have a 1000 sampling data).

Where was the server located that the survey people were connecting to?

Quote:

CDMA does have better data networks --- which is precisely why American GSM carriers have to work extra hard in terms of network management in order to survive. Having a hetero-network environment competing against each other --- gives customers a better deal.

CSMA is a radio technology, I referred to CDMAOne, the network product used.

UTMS uses CDMA

Quote:

Vodafone and Orange don't have to sell iphones in a lot of countries. Samething as AT&T doesn't have to sell a lot of iphones in Idaho.

What are you talking about? Vodafone has multiple networks around the work, they do not sell the iPhone in all of those networks (few of them actually). AT&T runs a network in 50 states, and sells the phone in all 50 of them

Quote:

Mis-selling is mis-selling. You can look at wireless network carriers in other parts of the world vs US. Everybody else is mis-selling their networks to be 7.2 mbps or 14 mbps. Everybody knows that this is the peak speed and real average speed is closer to 1 mbps. If the governments allow mis-selling in wireless, I don't see them cracking down on mis-selling on ASDL speed.

Who is mis-selling their network? You haven't provided an example of someone doing that.

In fact Vodafone Ireland lists this for their mobile internet product

"Vodafone Mobile broadband is capable of maximum download speeds of up to 3 Mbs in optimum conditions"

The one example of ADSL issues you provided was the UK (a small part of Europe), and their government is trying to fix that issue. You might not see them as doing that, as you don't live there
  • Reply 155 of 164
    Quote:

Where was the server located that the survey people were connecting to?

CSMA is a radio technology, I referred to CDMAOne, the network product used.

UTMS uses CDMA

What are you talking about? Vodafone has multiple networks around the work, they do not sell the iPhone in all of those networks (few of them actually). AT&T runs a network in 50 states, and sells the phone in all 50 of them

Who is mis-selling their network? You haven't provided an example of someone doing that.

In fact Vodafone Ireland lists this for their mobile internet product

"Vodafone Mobile broadband is capable of maximum download speeds of up to 3 Mbs in optimum conditions"

The one example of ADSL issues you provided was the UK (a small part of Europe), and their government is trying to fix that issue. You might not see them as doing that, as you don't live there

The difference in space between the wired.com server and your iphone is not going to matter much --- especially when fiber optic is measured in gbps and wireless is measured in kbps.

Nobody uses CDMAone anymore, Verizon Wireless has more 3G ev-do users than the whole Vodafone'e European operation.

http://www.vodafone.com/etc/medialib...r_08_FINAL.pdf

http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/...revenues-0428/

AT&T doesn't sell iphones in a number of states where it doesn't have spectrum.

It is theoretically impossible for a carrier to give you a 3 mbps HSDPA wireless connection. The "paper spec" itself only allows a max theoretical average downlink speed of about 3 mbps in a 5 Mhz spectrum --- when you are outdoors, stationary and you are the only person in the cell tower area. Killl off everybody in your neighbourhood and you sit outdoors --- you might get 3 mbps.

Ofcom --- much like most of the European regulators --- are toothless tigers. They are looking into the problem, they are working on voluntary measures by the carriers....
  • Reply 156 of 164
    Quote:

The difference in space between the wired.com server and your iphone is not going to matter much --- especially when fiber optic is measured in gbps and wireless is measured in kbps.

yes it does, because some countries have limited bandwidth to the US, and depending on routing this can slow things down.

Quote:

Nobody uses CDMAone anymore, Verizon Wireless has more 3G ev-do users than the whole Vodafone'e European operation.

They use CDMA2000 then, EV-DO is data only (the D part), and no they don't, maybe you should read those lines you put there.

And since Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon Wireless, I am sure they are happen they have that many subscribers.

Quote:

AT&T doesn't sell iphones in a number of states where it doesn't have spectrum.

Good on it, I think you will be lucky to find a provider that does sell phones in a location they don't have spectrum

Quote:

Ofcom --- much like most of the European regulators --- are toothless tigers. They are looking into the problem, they are working on voluntary measures by the carriers....

Well I don't live in the UK, so don't really care about what happens in the UK.

But, these weren't that hard to find

http://www.publictechnology.net/modu...icle&sid=16862

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/05/nr_20080508

But it is wrong to say they European regulators are toothless

Ask the airlines, Apple, and Microsoft.
  • Reply 157 of 164
    Quote:

yes it does, because some countries have limited bandwidth to the US, and depending on routing this can slow things down.

They use CDMA2000 then, EV-DO is data only (the D part), and no they don't, maybe you should read those lines you put there.

And since Vodafone owns 45% of Verizon Wireless, I am sure they are happen they have that many subscribers.

Good on it, I think you will be lucky to find a provider that does sell phones in a location they don't have spectrum

Well I don't live in the UK, so don't really care about what happens in the UK.

But, these weren't that hard to find

http://www.publictechnology.net/modu...icle&sid=16862

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/05/nr_20080508

But it is wrong to say they European regulators are toothless

Ask the airlines, Apple, and Microsoft.

So you are telling me that all those major European countries that are on the wired.com list have major problems with their networks to the US where all the contents are located. So why all the talk about high speed ASDL then because all the contents are pretty much made by the US.

Ofcom's game show thing is 50 YEARS behind the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_show_scandal.

Toothless tigers --- all those European simlocking laws that were defeated by Apple selling a $1200 unlocked iphone. All they did was forcing Microsoft to sell a few hundred copies of Windows XP without the media player. And Europe did nothing about Apple's itune stores.
  • Reply 158 of 164
    Quote:

So you are telling me that all those major European countries that are on the wired.com list have major problems with their networks to the US where all the contents are located. So why all the talk about high speed ASDL then because all the contents are pretty much made by the US.

No, I didn't limit it to the Europe, you just did.

Also, have you not read things lately, how a lot of countries are starting to host things outside the US as they don't want their data going there?

Go to New Zealand, and try doing some international browsing, then tell me how you get on.

Quote:

Ofcom's game show thing is 50 YEARS behind the US.

Good old USA, they can prosecute someone 50 years before they do something. But then again, I have said it twice, I will say it again as you don't seem to be getting it. I do not live in the UK, so don't give a damn about the UK and their consumer protection policies.

Quote:

Toothless tigers --- all those European simlocking laws that were defeated by Apple selling a $1200 unlocked iphone. All they did was forcing Microsoft to sell a few hundred copies of Windows XP without the media player. And Europe did nothing about Apple's itune stores.

Yes they did, they made Apple drop the price in the UK. Plus they fined Microsoft, and have other investigations into them ongoing.

They didn't defeat the European simlocking laws, as there isn't a European simlocking law. Some counties in European have a law regarding simlock, not all. Also, when they did it in France, they were made to, not to bypass they law, but the fact that the law said they had to, they can price their products at what ever price they want
  • Reply 159 of 164
    Quote:

Also, have you not read things lately, how a lot of countries are starting to host things outside the US as they don't want their data going there?

Yes they did, they made Apple drop the price in the UK. Plus they fined Microsoft, and have other investigations into them ongoing.

They didn't defeat the European simlocking laws, as there isn't a European simlocking law. Some counties in European have a law regarding simlock, not all. Also, when they did it in France, they were made to, not to bypass they law, but the fact that the law said they had to, they can price their products at what ever price they want

By the same token, Wired.com is going to have their websites cached all over the world.

Token price drop for the itunes music in the UK. Microsoft hasn't changed much through 10+ years of anti-trust investigations in Europe.

France should be concerned about why the second largest country in Europe --- only have 3 national carriers (and none of them foreign owned). If a country has sufficient competition --- there is no need to have simlocking laws. Both AT&T and T-Mobile USA offer unlocking codes to their customers for free after 90 days --- without any US simlocking laws. You can't do much with German telecom industries --- when the German government still owns a big chuck of DT.
  • Reply 160 of 164
    Quote:

But the USA has a population some 58 times that of Finland, but only the land area 30 times bigger. Why couldn't they provide a similar service?

that's it i'm moving to finland!