Apple may be working with AT&T on iPhone tethering plan

Comments

• Reply 61 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Unless a few things change, it really won't work.

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...n-unlocke.html

Once the contract between Apple and AT&T is over, T-mobile's network will become fully compatible with the iPhone, they already have the technology working in Europe.
  • Reply 62 of 164
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Additional $30 is too high, the iPhone already has an unlimited plan and a web browser, and when you use a tethered iPhone you can't use the browser on the iPhone so it's more like moving the browsing off to the notebook, why should that be extra? The speed of the connection is also the same. If anything the option should be $10 a month.

Sounds like pure greed to me.

In the strictest sense AT&T has only agreed to allow unlimited data to your phone. For the most part is much more limited to use than a notebook.

More than likely allowing free use of 3G on a notebook greatly increases the use of the 3G network which directly costs the carrier more money to keep up with demand on it's infrastructure. With that being true I don't see how charging more is unreasonable.
  • Reply 63 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by purepower View Post

Third, the iPhone data isnt really "unlimited." Theres a soft-limit at 5 GB/mo. If someone were to break that tethering, then charge them an extra $15 (so $60 total for data) and then you would be up to par with the standard laptop services.

AT&T doesn't charge anything extra for going over 5GB. They want to discourage people from exceeding 5GB consistently every month.
  • Reply 64 of 164
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

In the strictest sense AT&T has only agreed to allow unlimited data to your phone. For the most part is much more limited to use than a notebook.

More than likely allowing free use of 3G on a notebook greatly increases the use of the 3G network which directly costs the carrier more money to keep up with demand on it's infrastructure. With that being true I don't see how charging more is unreasonable.

First of all, using 3G on a laptop is not very desirable, it's too sloooow! Laptop users will avoid it wherever possible. I usually avoid Starbucks and prefer Panera-Bread because of the free WiFi, even if I had 3G.

Second, I did not say charging is unreasonable, I said it's too high and that $10 would be more reasonable.
  • Reply 65 of 164
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on tenobell. Please do not be a constant apologist for almost everything. I use 3G on my Mac, Nokia, iPhone, N810 connected via my N82. The stress put on the network is the same no matter what device is used. If AT&T's network is that crappy that it can not handle the normal bandwidth requirements of normal usage, they should go out of business. With a notebook, AT&T can not control VoIP calls the way they do with the iPhone. This is the problem. I use VoIP on my Nokia's or my Mac but am limited to VoIP only via WiFi on the iPhone. This is the deal. Notebooks making VoIP calls cost AT&T money. Pure and simple. They will charge more for the same service to make up some of the costs associated with VoIP calls.

With all of this being said please explain your statement and how you came to this conclusion:
    Quote:

More than likely allowing free use of 3G on a notebook greatly increases the use of the 3G network which directly costs the carrier more money to keep up with demand on it's infrastructure.

• Reply 66 of 164
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

No, they don't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

T-Mobile doesn't. That's why they call it "unlimited" and mean it.

All Swiss mobile outlets do, at $0.1 per MB on their iPhone plans. My German 3G USB modem gives me 250 MB per month for free (actually there is a $15 monthly general fee) and again about $0.1 per MB over that limit.
  • Reply 67 of 164
    Quote:

First of all, using 3G on a laptop is not very desirable, it's too sloooow! Laptop users will avoid it wherever possible. I usually avoid Starbucks and prefer Panera-Bread because of the free WiFi, even if I had 3G.

Second, I did not say charging is unreasonable, I said it's too high and that $10 would be more reasonable.

Not sure where you are but I have no problems with tethering my Mac to either iPhone or N82. It is fast, reliable and can support VoIP calling.
  • Reply 68 of 164
    Quote:

Once the contract between Apple and AT&T is over, T-mobile's network will become fully compatible with the iPhone, they already have the technology working in Europe.

Have had the technology working and here unlimited means just that. No limits. Not these "soft" limits.
  • Reply 69 of 164
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Have had the technology working and here unlimited means just that. No limits. Not these "soft" limits.

Please supply examples with references. Thank you.
  • Reply 70 of 164
    Quote:

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Oh come on tenobell. Please do not be a constant apologist for almost everything. I use 3G on my Mac, Nokia, iPhone, N810 connected via my N82. The stress put on the network is the same no matter what device is used. If AT&T's network is that crappy that it can not handle the normal bandwidth requirements of normal usage, they should go out of business. With a notebook, AT&T can not control VoIP calls the way they do with the iPhone. This is the problem. I use VoIP on my Nokia's or my Mac but am limited to VoIP only via WiFi on the iPhone. This is the deal. Notebooks making VoIP calls cost AT&T money. Pure and simple. They will charge more for the same service to make up some of the costs associated with VoIP calls.

JeffDM exaplained very elegantly in post #60

Quote:

With all of this being said please explain your statement and how you came to this conclusion:

I didn't know such a statement would need much explination. At least to me it seems obvious that in general people will spend more time on the internet thru a laptop rather than a phone.

AT&T agreed to give data access to your phone and not your laptop.
  • Reply 71 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Please supple examples with references. Thank you.

Do you mean 3G or unlimited data? Not sure which one or both.

You can go to www.sonera.fi or www.elisa.fi, or www.dnafinland.fi and get an idea of the service plans. They are in finish but 3G is 3G in any language. I am on Sonera utilizing unlimited data for 9? a month, actually more like 10?.

Is that what you mean?
  • Reply 72 of 164
    Quote:

JeffDM exaplained very elegantly in post #60

I didn't know such a statement would need much explination. At least to me it seems obvious that in general people will spend more time on the internet thru a laptop rather than a phone.

AT&T agreed to give data access to your phone and not your laptop.

Sorry tenobell if I missed JeffDM's post. I will go back and check it out. I also agree that I can use as much if not more data with my laptop than with just the iPhone. Like I said, I can use VoIP with my laptop as opposed to not being able to with my iPhone unless I am on wifi.
  • Reply 73 of 164
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NanoAkron View Post

O2 in the UK - unlimited data.

Give me my f'ing tethering NOW!

Oh and in case I haven't said this before - The USA != The World

O2 doesn't allow tethering and there are also a bunch of usage limitations hidden in the contract.

Also I have repeatedly said that the O2 iphone plans are one of the best in the world. However, it also highlights the fact that their regular non-iphone price plans suck very badly compared to the iphone plan.

I think that the regular 99% of the populations would like the US situation better. Let them charge the 1% geeks a premium on the iphone vs. overcharging the other 99% on regular price voice plans.
  • Reply 74 of 164
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

It was not right for them to remove NetShare. That was a crappy move on part of AT&T (which I believe to be the one to have had the say on pulling it). I was lucky enough to get it.

actually it might have been right and even required.

We have not seen the contract that Apple and ATT have but it is possible that the deal doesn't allow the iphone to cut into existing ATT technology, including their standalone cell phone modem cards, without their approval.

so consider that possibility before you start blasting folks
  • Reply 75 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SonomaCider View Post

I'll see if I can cancel the credit card transaction where I paid $10 for NetShare. If we all did this, perhaps heavy handed marketing people at AT&T would get the hint that WE pay their salaries.

why would they get a hint from that. you aren't taking money from them. the money went to the folks that made NetShare.
  • Reply 76 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

It's almost criminal for Apple/AT&T to charge more for what should otherwise be free. You've paid for the hardware (iPhone) with your 2 year ball-and-chain contract and you are forking over an absolutely outrageous $70 per freaking month fee for the access.

no one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy an iphone.

you want/wanted it, so you bought it. knowing the game rules.

so deal with it.

Quote:

Is there any wonder some are now crying abuse by a monopoly power against Apple?

you should also point out that said suit was started as a way to stop Apple's suit over Psystar creating a Mac Clone and putting Mac OSX on the machines without a proper license from Apple as well as using Apple's trademarks to market the machine. Psystar got busted and is trying to use a "yeah, we broke the rules, yeah we know we were breaking them when we did it but the rules are stupid so why should we be punished" defense.
  • Reply 77 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

no one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy an iphone.

you want/wanted it, so you bought it. knowing the game rules.

so deal with it.

you should also point out that said suit was started as a way to stop Apple's suit over Psystar creating a Mac Clone and putting Mac OSX on the machines without a proper license from Apple as well as using Apple's trademarks to market the machine. Psystar got busted and is trying to use a "yeah, we broke the rules, yeah we know we were breaking them when we did it but the rules are stupid so why should we be punished" defense.

What flavor is the Kool Aid?
  • Reply 78 of 164
    Quote:

actually it might have been right and even required.

We have not seen the contract that Apple and ATT have but it is possible that the deal doesn't allow the iphone to cut into existing ATT technology, including their standalone cell phone modem cards, without their approval.

so consider that possibility before you start blasting folks

And what technology would that be? AT&T does not want people making VoIP calls on their network. That is the problem. It has nothing to do with technology.
  • Reply 79 of 164
    Quote:

why would they get a hint from that. you aren't taking money from them. the money went to the folks that made NetShare.

Two words: Revenue Sharing.

The developer and Apple split the revenue with the developer getting the larger share..
  • Reply 80 of 164
    Quote:

And what technology would that be? AT&T does not want people making VoIP calls on their network. That is the problem. It has nothing to do with technology.

Even though we can only speculate AT&T's motivation at this point. I think the stability of its new HDSPA network is more of a concern for them at this point than the potential of people using VOIP.