Piracy problems undermine Android's growth against iPhone

Comments

• Reply 161 of 217
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesw View Post

just giving you a taste of your own medicine Android troll.

Actually it was your post and posts like yours that caused me to register on this site. So if I'm a troll, it was YOUR actions that created trolls. So obviously your "medicine" isn't working.
  • Reply 162 of 217
    Quote:

people buy iPhone's because they love it. <== LOVE

people buy Android phones because they hate the iPhone. <== JEALOUSY, HATRED, IGNORANCE

Or perhaps it's for the 25% employer discount I get for my family plan through Sprint. I have two Ipod Touch devices, so I obviously don't hate iOS. Call me thrifty, poor white trash if you must, because I like saving $50 every month.
  • Reply 163 of 217
    Quote:

you know why i know Android users are jealous of iPhone users?

You're IN AN APPLE FORUM! what the hell are you doing here?? go to an Android forum and leave us alone you troll.

Perhaps some Android owners are in here because we are fans of other Apple products. By all means, please contact a moderator and have us banned. Additionally, please contact my employer to let them know I should be fired for visiting this site. Then you won't have to worry about us trolls, that own other Apple products, visiting your precious site.
  • Reply 164 of 217
    Quote:

just giving you a taste of your own medicine Android troll.

Awww...don't get all steamed up buddy boy! If you don't want Apple/Android owners on this site simply ask the admins to suspend our accounts. Then you can also ask my employer to fire me so that I can't read the site while taking a break at work.
  • Reply 165 of 217
    chopperchopper Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Growth of what? Free downloads? Or revenue?

Geeks get hot and bothered over market share numbers and "keeping score".

All the developers I know get excited over revenue. Guess which app store is providing more revenue?

Since you ask so nicely, and you apparently haven't been following the tech news lately, the 886% refers to the increase in devices running the Android OS. The total number of downloads from the Android Market has topped one billion, but the increase in Android devices seems likely to accelerate the number of downloads and the increased market will doubtless appeal to developers.

A recent poll amongst smartphone developers shows the majority expect the Android platform to dominate in the near future and believe that's where their future lies. If you don't care for that result, take it up with the developers who took part in the poll or take issue with the company that ran the research.

Since this is a geek site, I'd say then that a lot of the readers on AI will be interested in "keeping score". People around here certainly haven't been restrained in gleeful repetition of the iPhones launch numbers, iPod market share, iPad sales figures and such.

Here's a heads up for you - I don't care which app store is providing more revenue, which seems to be another example of keeping score but whatever, as I have only an iPhone and I have no Android devices whatsoever.

Our developers don't give a rat's which platform they code for, and neither do I, as long as we reach the audience we need to.
  • Reply 166 of 217
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Actually it was your post and posts like yours that caused me to register on this site. So if I'm a troll, it was YOUR actions that created trolls. So obviously your "medicine" isn't working.

AHA! so you admit!
  • Reply 167 of 217
    Quote:

AHA! so you admit!

Admit what?

I said YOUR actions are causing more android people to post here, so it's doing COUNTER to what you claim your posting to do.
  • Reply 168 of 217
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

That's not what your response was asking. Your response was directed at the VALIDITY of his article, not of his assumptions. You were trying to discount his article which was talking about piracy in iOS. One of your questions was directed at his claim, but it was buried in a list of questions about the ARTICLE itself.

I also don't support his claim, which I clearly stated, so don't throw both of us in the same boat. You're trying to change the conversation to avoid admitting that you either:

1) Weren't clear, either intentionally or unintentionally.

2) You're attempt at a red herring (go after the article to discredit the assumption) failed and you don't want to own up to it.

Well, if you don't support his claim, why are you arguing with me? All of my posts on this particular topic have been to the effect that his claim was a fabrication. You are apparently arguing about something else, which I may or may not have any interest in discussing, but it's really not worth my time to try to figure out what it is you are up in arms about.
  • Reply 169 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Well, if you don't support his claim, why are you arguing with me? All of my posts on this particular topic have been to the effect that his claim was a fabrication. You are apparently arguing about something else, which I may or may not have any interest in discussing, but it's really not worth my time to try to figure out what it is you are up in arms about.

No, your posts, the ones I am responding to were saying the article he linked was invalid because it was a limited sample base. that was 9/10ths of the post I originally responded to.

It's not that hard to figure out what I'm responding to since YOU wrote it.
  • Reply 170 of 217
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Since you ask so nicely, and you apparently haven't been following the tech news lately, the 886% refers to the increase in devices running the Android OS. ...

Which is essentially a meaningless statistic because prior to the period included sales of Android devices were insignificant.
  • Reply 171 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Interesting discrepancy here. So, for Android, we count 'devices', but for iOS (that's the platform name) we only count iPhones? Why don't we count iOS 'devices'? We are after all talking about developer issues here, not carrier wars, or something where it matters whether a 'device' is a phone or not.

No, the original article was about Andriod vs iPhone (Dilger's words, not mine) so take it up with him. However your point is irrelevant since the word "devices" as used, as far as Android is concerned, means smartphone handsets, which is exactly what Dilger's reference to iPhones meant. No discrepancy, and you already knew that before you decided to play at semantics.

Just to clarify though that you're quoting my explanation to jragosta. And while Dilger was throwing handfulls of FUD about alleged insecurities specific to the Android Market, he studiously avoided acknowledging that steps had already been taken to render his outdated accusations moot.

And I thank you for the opportunity to repeat that.
  • Reply 172 of 217
    Quote:

Admit what?

I said YOUR actions are causing more android people to post here, so it's doing COUNTER to what you claim your posting to do.

admit to being a troll
  • Reply 173 of 217
    Please don't underestimate the growth of Android. Check out this latest on its absolutely stunning growth:

http://www.canalys.com/pr/2010/r2010081.html
  • Reply 174 of 217
    Quote:

admit to being a troll

No actually I didn't. I said if I'm a troll than your actions are creating trolls.
  • Reply 175 of 217
    Quote:

admit to being a troll

Oh, the irony. Anyone who owns an Android product must be a troll. Instead of getting steamed just have us banned.
  • Reply 176 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Sorry but the more you rant, the more he sounds balanced and you sound like a hater.

Daniel has his own opinions, but he backs them up by referencing reviewable data. Most ranters just say,,, "My toy better..... yours is bad!!" :-)

Just a thought here. And as always feel free to post. But if your post sounds like a rant, that is how it and you will be received.

en

Thanks for your comment.

However, if you believe that Dilger "sounds balanced", I think you're in a minority, even among the Apple Faithful?. There's a number of such people who have posted in this thread and others where DED's pieces are heavily commented upon, who accept that he's biased toward Apple but who feel that's fine given AI is an Apple fansite.

And if Dilger was just another poster, it wouldn't be any issue for me as there's a lot of mindless Apple cheerleading going on in most threads. It's a fansite, so it's going to be like that.

But Dilger is not just another poster - he has been given access to the AI news page, and a casual reader has the right to expect that news is unbiased. But nothing that Dilger has ever written under his name or aliases Prince McLean or Slash Lane has ever been unbiased.

If you think my posts round like rants, then I've simply failed to convince you through force of my argument. I'll try to do better.

Chopper.
  • Reply 177 of 217
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

I'm not sure how much simpler it can be explained. Developer sells 10 copies of app with "phone home" function. Developer gets pings from 100 unique devices. Five different, independent developers report similar results. How is that baseless?

Mr Menno, you seem capable of typing a lot of sentences. Some cogent.

I hope that while you have shown some understanding in posting that a developer can estimate piracy by 'phone home' functions, have you also had the understanding to stand up and ask if the 100 unique devices (sure that ratio is 10 is to 1, of course) were not actually multiple devices tied to the same account?

I have two iPod touches, 1 iPad and 2 iPhones. don't ask why, and I may not be majority but I do. This makes 5 copies of every single app that I buy. Am I pirating? I don't think so.
  • Reply 178 of 217
    mobilitymobility Posts: 135member
    Quote:

No actually I didn't. I said if I'm a troll than your actions are creating trolls.

Good one. It's his fault!
  • Reply 179 of 217
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Mr Menno, you seem capable of typing a lot of sentences. Some cogent.

I hope that while you have shown some understanding in posting that a developer can estimate piracy by 'phone home' functions, have you also had the understanding to stand up and ask if the 100 unique devices (sure that ratio is 10 is to 1, of course) were not actually multiple devices tied to the same account?

I have two iPod touches, 1 iPad and 2 iPhones. don't ask why, and I may not be majority but I do. This makes 5 copies of every single app that I buy. Am I pirating? I don't think so.

and how many people have 5 devices set up with the same account? This app developer say a 10:1 ratio for his application. Similar numbers were given by other app developers. yes, there needs to be some leeway for multiple devices, but a 10:1 ratio is too big to be explained away by it. The average consumer won't have 10 devices linked to his itunes account, I doubt he'd have more than people he has in his family (most people don't have an iphone, and Ipod touch, and an ipad).

So let's say that the average user has 5 devices linked to his itunes account (this number is high imo, but lets run with it) that's still 5 un-accounted for activations of the app for every 1 legally purchased. (1 purchased, shared across 5 apps legally, 5 getting it from somewhere else)

I'm not arguing that there arn't people who share it legally. Heck, it works practically the same way on android. But with that high of a ratio, piracy exists. The call home function isn't perfect because of the reasons you listed, but atm it's about the closest developers can get to accurate numbers for the time being.
  • Reply 180 of 217
    Quote:

so if my actions are creation trolls, then you're a troll! ROFL!