Speculative doodle: New iMac design

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 115
    v nice! I'd grab one! I think they should still offer the iMac in white too though (and iPhone for that matter)
  • Reply 2 of 115
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Yeah and oversized iPhone on a stick. Nice..I never thought it'd look that good. Nice "doodle"
  • Reply 3 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yeah and oversized iPhone on a stick.

That's kind of the point. The iMac G5 was a giant iPod on a stick but it's now overdue for a top to bottom redesign in the same year that Apple releases a new consumer electronics device with an all-new design philosophy and just as we get rumours of a black iMac.

Seems... Well, I won't say likely because this is Apple here, but is seems reasonable.

- Joel Fagin
  • Reply 4 of 115
    hiddenwolfhiddenwolf Posts: 49member
    Looks great.

I'd almost buy one.
  • Reply 5 of 115
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Very nice. I like the 'chin' that you've kept but made it much smaller.
  • Reply 6 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Let me add my voice to the chorus here, this is perhaps the best looking iMac mock-up we have seen for a long time.
  • Reply 7 of 115
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    It actually looks like the iMac that Apple would make if they were designing it off the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 115
    googleplexgoogleplex Posts: 41member
    add a touch screen interface to that and i would definitely buy one!
  • Reply 9 of 115
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by googleplex View Post

add a touch screen interface to that and i would definitely buy one!

Dear God, no.
  • Reply 10 of 115
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Surprised nobody has said it yet: That is the best first post I have ever seen; welcome to AI!

I would like two, please, and please make a multi-touch keyboard to go with it.

For the keyboard, I think it shoudl have user-programmable keys (ie, you can design-your-own to meet your needs) in addition to having the standard sets. Wireless, of course.

If this is just a "doodle" as you say, we can only wonder what you could produce if you you put more time into it!
  • Reply 11 of 115
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Surprised nobody has said it yet: That is the best first post I have ever seen; welcome to AI!

I would like two, please, and please make a multi-touch keyboard to go with it.

For the keyboard, I think it shoudl have user-programmable keys (ie, you can design-your-own to meet your needs) in addition to having the standard sets. Wireless, of course.

If this is just a "doodle" as you say, we can only wonder what you could produce if you you put more time into it!

I agree. A very well thought out concept. I have dabbled in photoshop myself, so I see the little mistakes that would have you degrade this to "doodle" status, but don't be so modest: this is a great use of trends to make a good looking concept.
  • Reply 12 of 115
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    No way! Awesome, I just did an actual "doodle" last week.

Yours came out really great.

-MR

PS: sorry for the monstrous images
  • Reply 13 of 115
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattRebs View Post

No way! Awesome, I just did an actual "doodle" last week.

Yours came out really great.

-MR

PS: sorry for the monstrous images

I love it. As soon as someone metioned "detachable iMac" in one of the rumor posts, feeling that the iMac would make a great Tablet if it could be staioned and removed, I thought of something like what you drew. The optical drive integrated into the stand is definitely the way they would do this detachable concept as well.

All in all, not a bad drawing. One thing, though, where's the Apple logo?
  • Reply 14 of 115
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    It's on the stand abouve the optical drive.
  • Reply 15 of 115
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Very nice. I like the 'chin' that you've kept but made it much smaller.

I've noticed that most LCD displays, and HDTVs for that matter, have a small chin.

• Reply 16 of 115
    mattrebsmattrebs Posts: 74member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

I love it. As soon as someone metioned "detachable iMac" in one of the rumor posts, feeling that the iMac would make a great Tablet if it could be staioned and removed, I thought of something like what you drew. The optical drive integrated into the stand is definitely the way they would do this detachable concept as well.

All in all, not a bad drawing. One thing, though, where's the Apple logo?

On the first one I'll be honest, I forgot to put it in.

But the second, look at the angled shot of the Base.
  • Reply 17 of 115
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Nice!

I like your reasoning too - the present iMac was deliberately styled after the iPod when it was first introduced (see this). It would make sense for Apple to model a new iMac after their iPhone. Though I think there would be some expectation that the iMac would come with a touch screen if the design is made to mimick the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 115
    carlito2carlito2 Posts: 43member
    nice design .......

are you Johnathon Ive undercover ??? feeding us little snipets and checking out feedback ????

*** you know i looked at it again and it just smacks of apple and there pr !!!!!!!!!!!!! you are johnathan in disguise****
  • Reply 19 of 115
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carlito2 View Post

*** you know i looked at it again and it just smacks of apple and there pr !!!!!!!!!!!!! you are johnathan in disguise***

And you are his assistant. By saying this in public, in a joking way, no one will suspect that you are actually telling the truth.

• Reply 20 of 115
    carlito2carlito2 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

And you are his assistant. By saying this in public, in a joking way, no one will suspect that you are actually telling the truth.