Speculative doodle: New iMac design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Here's my idea for a 2007 Santa Rosa iMac:

I seriously doubt the computer is going to be thinner than most monitors.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Here's my idea for a 2007 Santa Rosa iMac:

Nice cinema display design, but completely impractical for a computer. You'd have to leave out parts like the CPU, optical drive, hard drive, GPU, and memory.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Nice cinema display design, but completely impractical for a computer. You'd have to leave out parts like the CPU, optical drive, hard drive, GPU, and memory.

This isn't really that thin and certainly has plenty of room for all that. First, the housing is thin anodized aluminum, not thick plastic. It can disperse heat far better. Secondly, the iMac uses the new Santa Rosa mobile platform which is a more efficient design. Those of you using some sort of Apple portable, look at the size and thickness of the base. Also, look at the display and note how thin it is. Why should an iMac be any thicker than a 17" MacBook Pro? It even has a trackpad and a keyboard on top of the logic board, hard drive, optical drive and battery.

Besides, new displays are thinner these days, as are optical drives. The iMac uses laptop parts, not desktop parts. I think my design is quite achievable.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Why should an iMac be any thicker than a 17" MacBook Pro?

Desktop LCD screen are thicker because they have to be much brighter. The iMac also uses a desktop hard drive. If it used a laptop drive like the powerbook, they would be either way too expensive or have not near enough storage space. Either way, Apple would have a hard time selling them.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I see where you got your inspiration:

I don't think so. that HP thing looks like a cheapo plastic shiny tank!

As much as I hope the new iMac does not mimic the iPhone (which I think looks a little too much like everything else out there), I do like the thought processes in this doodle as well as the talent and product consistency behind the iPhonish looking iMac.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    Quote:

There's a few problems I see with your thinking here;

1. That much chrome could be a distraction.

2. That much chrome would bring up costs.

3. If you look at the 2004 image, that iMac doesn't have the same stainless steel back as the same year iPod, it has a plastic back.

And a chrome back would be an odd thing to have the ports built into. I did think of those point but I just wanted to point out the potential trend more than anything.

Quote:

4. The reason the iPhone has a black bottom quarter on the back is so one can tell which end is up. The iMac wont require that.

Now, that's something I didn't think of. I've wondered, too. It seemed odd that Apple would add such a minor detail to something that is otherwise symmetrical. Well spotted.

I think Apple will avoid releasing a computer that looks exactly like a monitor for a while yet. It would be too easy to confuse them. The G5/Intel iMacs have the chin to differentiate them (and the thickness, of course). That said, I also toyed with the idea that Apple might use two laptop hard drives in a RAID array to make the iMac thinner while keeping the HD access fast. It'd be hopelessly expensive, though.

Although... If anyone could pull that trick off...

- Joel Fagin
  • Reply 47 of 115
    walter slocombewalter slocombe Posts: 1,568member
    I apologise if this is old news, but i have just noticed THIS on engaget and it seems remarkably like some of the designs that people are throwing about for the next iMac.

If someone would be so kind to put the image into the thread? That would be cool
  • Reply 48 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

If someone would be so kind to put the image into the thread? That would be cool

• Reply 49 of 115
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    interesting... looks elegant from directly on the side, but from the three quarter view you can see the hinge construction isn't as much so:

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/hp-p...ounced/236783/

i quite like the idea of being able to separate the screen from the keyboard and elevate it... an apple take on it would be nice, and mac OS!

oh, wait: 20.1" screen?! 15+ lbs, 2.3" thick [no wonder the hinge design] and will "bankrupt your family"?! fark!
  • Reply 50 of 115
    gooddoggooddog Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Fagin View Post

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

30 inch iMac to fill in for missing 17 inch ?

LED backlit ? BlueRay Super Drive ?

I am poised to purchase in June
  • Reply 51 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

All those components could be made small enough using magic.

But the real problem is that there is nothing new about an Apple monitor form factor ---- we've been looking at them on the Apple web site for years...... ho-hummmm.

A new iMac has to have WWWoooooWWW !!!

So, the iPhone look is a good candidate.

I thought of zero bezel except for a small chin to slap the Apple logo on. But , where is the Eye-Sight lense to go ?

My guess is that Ive , being a minimalist, will REMOVE rather than add or simply change.

Maybe he will remove the computer entirely : the AirMac.

The advantages would be : no power usage, no weight, no foot print, a $50.00 price reduction, and , at night, it's black.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin

Can someone do a mockup of this?

Take the original 20th anniversary mac and do the following.

Start with the same 20th anniversary design and do the following.

1) Give it the iPhone design look. (Black and Steel Grey color)

2) Detachable - Glossy Multi Touch screen with isight (This incorporates a Tablet PC concept)

Once detached, the screen is used as a tablet PC. On the back of the tablet is a bar that allows it to stand up and a virtual laser keyboard can beam down on the table for typing.

3) A place to physically doc the iPhone on the front so no extra cabling is needed.

4) Vertically mounted Blu-Ray (R+RW disk drive (located in the same physical location as the 20th anniversary mac CD drive)

5) 5.1 surround sound.Same speakers as the 20th Anniv on the side and now a top -center speaker is added. (External rear speakers and sub match design)

6) Wireless BT keyboard and mouse in the same iPhone design schema. User can slide both keyboard and mouse just under the main CPU/screen for instant charging.

7) 24? Screen - This is designed to be an excellent replacement for that regular TV everyone still has. Not a replacement for the HDTV flat panel you have on the wall. :-)

8) The apple logo at the center bottom of the new 30th anniversary doubles as the ?Front Row? button like the Home button works on the iPhone.

9) New 30th anniversary has the same silver bar on the bottom which allows it to stand upright.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    kendokakendoka Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Best mockup ever?

Love it.

The design would also look absolutely stunning if used on the upcoming LED Cinema Displays.

As for "a big, expensive, chromed back". They could make the back (and the stand) black - with a chromed Apple logo instead.

The only thing that needs to be changed is the stand, although very beautiful. A modern screen needs better adjustment (i.e. a slider on the back of the screen to be able to position the screen higher for ergonomical purposes).
  • Reply 54 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

30 inch iMac to fill in for missing 17 inch ?

LED backlit ? BlueRay Super Drive ?

I am poised to purchase in June

Some seemingly randomly put words here. Let me try to guess: are you expecting a BlueRay equiped 30" LED iMac for this June? Because this is more like a dream than anything else.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geobe View Post

Can someone do a mockup of this?

Take the original 20th anniversary mac and do the following.

Start with the same 20th anniversary design and do the following.

1) Give it the iPhone design look. (Black and Steel Grey color)

2) Detachable - Glossy Multi Touch screen with isight (This incorporates a Tablet PC concept)

Once detached, the screen is used as a tablet PC. On the back of the tablet is a bar that allows it to stand up and a virtual laser keyboard can beam down on the table for typing.

3) A place to physically doc the iPhone on the front so no extra cabling is needed.

4) Vertically mounted Blu-Ray (R+RW disk drive (located in the same physical location as the 20th anniversary mac CD drive)

5) 5.1 surround sound.Same speakers as the 20th Anniv on the side and now a top -center speaker is added. (External rear speakers and sub match design)

6) Wireless BT keyboard and mouse in the same iPhone design schema. User can slide both keyboard and mouse just under the main CPU/screen for instant charging.

7) 24? Screen - This is designed to be an excellent replacement for that regular TV everyone still has. Not a replacement for the HDTV flat panel you have on the wall. :-)

8) The apple logo at the center bottom of the new 30th anniversary doubles as the ?Front Row? button like the Home button works on the iPhone.

9) New 30th anniversary has the same silver bar on the bottom which allows it to stand upright.

I'm picturing that now. And OMG, that would look horrible.

The 20th Mac already looked bad, let's not make it worse.

http://www.1000bit.net/lista/dati/ap...nniversary.jpg
  • Reply 56 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Fagin

I just wanted to point out the potential trend more than anything.

And a good job you did of it too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Fagin

Now, that's something I didn't think of. I've wondered, too. It seemed odd that Apple would add such a minor detail to something that is otherwise symmetrical. Well spotted.

Thanks!
  • Reply 57 of 115
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    It's good - much better than my doodle - although I did post this in February:

• Reply 58 of 115
    smithbpsmithbp Posts: 2member
    Quote:

There's a few problems I see with your thinking here;

1. That much chrome could be a distraction.

2. That much chrome would bring up costs.

3. If you look at the 2004 image, that iMac doesn't have the same stainless steel back as the same year iPod, it has a plastic back.

4. The reason the iPhone has a black bottom quarter on the back is so one can tell which end is up. The iMac wont require that.

Other then that I like the way it looks, good job.

while i cannot remember where i read this, it was my understanding that the black bottom quarter was to provide for better reception of wi-fi and bluetooth signals, not for orientation. in essence, it was to act as the antenna portion of the iphone since the back was metal. as far as the mock-up goes, i think it is stunning. excellent work.
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Dear PB,

Sir or Madam, I demand precisely that, in exquisite, stochastic free verse.

Dream ? Yes - that's exactly what I do.

That's what Apple delivers.

Screens have gone from 15, 17, 20 to 17, 20, 24 before.

Logically, the next trio will be 20, 24, 30; albeit only if the pro system display goes above 30.

How dare you disturb my reverie with your petulant, pedestrian pedantry ?

I shall have to confound you with alliteration .
  • Reply 60 of 115
    go bananago banana Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

It's good - much better than my doodle - although I did post this in February:

...Which was of course before the launch of Adobe CS3 so the quality can be excused...