Speculative doodle: New iMac design

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

Screens have gone from 15, 17, 20 to 17, 20, 24 before.

Logically, the next trio will be 20, 24, 30; albeit only if the pro system display goes above 30.

How dare you disturb my reverie with your petulant, pedestrian pedantry ?

Good to dream about. And since I am not cruel I will not post the time table showing when exactly in the past we had increases in the iMac display size.
  • Reply 62 of 115
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smithbp View Post

while i cannot remember where i read this, it was my understanding that the black bottom quarter was to provide for better reception of wi-fi and bluetooth signals, not for orientation.

It's all conjecture at this point.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    renquistrenquist Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joel Fagin View Post

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin

I love it, a new fresh base and I'm in.

Considering getting a Powermac/Macpro or whatever they are called these days but that would swing it for me
  • Reply 64 of 115
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

1. That much chrome could be a distraction.

2. That much chrome would bring up costs.

Umm. You realize that they can make plastic that looks like chrome. It wouldn't be actual chrome, only plastic.
  • Reply 65 of 115
    Quote:

Just a doodle in Photoshop but it struck me as being a plausible idea with a clear precedent. At any rate, having doodled it, I felt I had to do something with it so here I am. *waves*

- Joel Fagin

you inspired me! (and I"m procrastinating)

so I thought I'd put my 2photoshoppence in. My Skillz didn't produce the cleanest of lines...but,

Thinking about an ultraportable, and how it would actually be used / useful (thread) got me thinking about what it might look like: A cursor is very last century...

multi-point gestures (for both hands)

still can have expose and widgets

but would have a few more tricks than iPhone

I know the screen is long and narrow, but god gave you two hands, and steve gave you multi-touch.
  • Reply 66 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Umm. You realize that they can make plastic that looks like chrome. It wouldn't be actual chrome, only plastic.

Yuck.
  • Reply 67 of 115
    I think that the new refreshed iMac is pretty much what you guys have already said in the above posts. The renders are made of win,good and awesome!!

Apple once said that they "have a home run with the iMac" design, so there's not much to improve upon (I hope like hell they can prove us all wrong again!)

It's not a bad idea to suggest that the new design will mimic the iPhone, why not? Although I strongly believe that the iPod was designed off the iMac and not the other way around. I think they wanted to use the current iMac design at the time the sun flower iMac came out, but the technology wasn't up to the challenge at the time. (Didn't SteveJ say that CD roms slowed down when used on their sides or something? Therefore making them lie flat in the base of the sunflower iMac - why would he say that if they hadn't thought about putting components behind the screen?)

That aside the current iMacs do have a few aesthetic issues that are due to be met. Small things. For example the perimeter of the screen is not flush with the bezel!! And for a guy who loves simplicity something not flush must drive him [SteveJ] mad as a hatter. A flush screen is something that was perfected with the iPod and seems to be replicated (not in the same way) with the iPhone. Multi-touch will no doubt be something the engineers want to put into Macs so a flush solid screen will be needed for when our grubby mits touch the beauty of the design. Just like the iPhone.

However to get multi-touch into an iMac the screen must be able to get down to desk level. I'm sitting with my MacBook writing this epic post and the screen at the moment is at the perfect height for me to rest my arms on the desk but still be able to touch the screen. Presently there is a curve on the back of the iMac. This will go, and the back will become flat with the power cord in the centre bottom. The whole in the bezel for the power will also drop down. The radical part. The screen will be able to slide down to desk level just in the same way the sunflower iMac could, however the stand would be the same look as the same one now but there would be a mechanism that would allow the screen to slide down (simply mind you).

At the time the iMac was amazingly thin and to be fair it still is quite thin, but they will no doubt try make it thinner than before, even though it doesn't make it better use (like with the portables).

The bezel will also become thinner all round the edges, but thats a no brainer (the Apple logo will have to become smaller - OH NOES!! :P) Just like in all the lovely mock ups.

-Flush glossy screen (like the front of ipod/iphone

-Multi-touch?

- Slidy screen??

-Thinner

-Thinner bezel

Sorry if you read every word down to here. Maybe someone could illustrate this as my drawing looks like a 4 year old drew them with a fork, plus Xara Xtreme isn't for OS X yet. I love that program. Can't wait.
  • Reply 68 of 115

I cleaned up the image a little, removed a couple of the blotches, and made the metal look a little cleaner. ^.^;
  • Reply 69 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

I think that the new refreshed iMac is pretty much what you guys have already said in the above posts. The renders are made of win,good and awesome!!

Apple once said that they "have a home run with the iMac" design, so there's not much to improve upon (I hope like hell they can prove us all wrong again!)

It's not a bad idea to suggest that the new design will mimic the iPhone, why not? Although I strongly believe that the iPod was designed off the iMac and not the other way around. I think they wanted to use the current iMac design at the time the sun flower iMac came out, but the technology wasn't up to the challenge at the time. (Didn't SteveJ say that CD roms slowed down when used on their sides or something? Therefore making them lie flat in the base of the sunflower iMac - why would he say that if they hadn't thought about putting components behind the screen?)

That aside the current iMacs do have a few aesthetic issues that are due to be met. Small things. For example the perimeter of the screen is not flush with the bezel!! And for a guy who loves simplicity something not flush must drive him [SteveJ] mad as a hatter. A flush screen is something that was perfected with the iPod and seems to be replicated (not in the same way) with the iPhone. Multi-touch will no doubt be something the engineers want to put into Macs so a flush solid screen will be needed for when our grubby mits touch the beauty of the design. Just like the iPhone.

However to get multi-touch into an iMac the screen must be able to get down to desk level. I'm sitting with my MacBook writing this epic post and the screen at the moment is at the perfect height for me to rest my arms on the desk but still be able to touch the screen. Presently there is a curve on the back of the iMac. This will go, and the back will become flat with the power cord in the centre bottom. The whole in the bezel for the power will also drop down. The radical part. The screen will be able to slide down to desk level just in the same way the sunflower iMac could, however the stand would be the same look as the same one now but there would be a mechanism that would allow the screen to slide down (simply mind you).

At the time the iMac was amazingly thin and to be fair it still is quite thin, but they will no doubt try make it thinner than before, even though it doesn't make it better use (like with the portables).

The bezel will also become thinner all round the edges, but thats a no brainer (the Apple logo will have to become smaller - OH NOES!! :P) Just like in all the lovely mock ups.

A paragraph or two could have saved my eyes there.
  • Reply 70 of 115
    I think one thing people are missing is height-adjustment. Something I hope the new Cinema Display will have. I hight doubt the iMac will get it though--not that it wouldn't be nice and all.
  • Reply 71 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ozymajere View Post

[I cleaned up the image a little, removed a couple of the blotches, and made the metal look a little cleaner. ^.^;

Maybe you might like to come on over to the tablet thread, and attempt a mock-up of it?
  • Reply 72 of 115
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I see where you got your inspiration:

I used one of those HP's a while back. Pretty slick, aside from the whole Windows thing.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ozymajere View Post

I cleaned up the image a little, removed a couple of the blotches, and made the metal look a little cleaner. ^.^;

looks cool, strange feeling, to make it sleek, we might see 2.5" HDD, that rounds up all the laptop parts
  • Reply 74 of 115
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

looks cool, strange feeling, to make it sleek, we might see 2.5" HDD, that rounds up all the laptop parts

and makes Apple's "desktop line" completely undesirable for a lot of people.
  • Reply 75 of 115
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

and makes Apple's "desktop line" completely undesirable for a lot of people.

Criminny...not like a NAS is hard to get. About to turn my old G4 into a file server but that's because I have one sitting around. Otherwise I'd get a 4 bay NAS box and park 2TB in it and not worry about it anymore.

ZFS would be nice first though...

Vinea
  • Reply 76 of 115
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,433moderator
    I don't really like the iphone-style display at all. I think the brushed metal cinema display-style is better. Anyway, I think it would be cool if instead of a flashing dot while sleeping, the actual logo flashed:

• Reply 77 of 115
    It's breathing !O-O!
  • Reply 78 of 115
    logantlogant Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't really like the iphone-style display at all. I think the brushed metal cinema display-style is better. Anyway, I think it would be cool if instead of a flashing dot while sleeping, the actual logo flashed:

Talk about annoying.
  • Reply 79 of 115
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

- Joel Fagin

I really like your design! The current iPod shuffles and nanos are colored and if the 6th generation iPod gets a touch screen then the iPod will most likely have no color; however, I do not think white will disappear from the iMac just yet. Apple can offer the iMac in black, like you have it, and white, like what is on the Mac mini.

I think the new iMac and cinema displays will look so similar in form that the only way to tell them apart will be the "chin" and color bordering the screen. For this reason I do not see the edge being rounded or chrome or shiny, but instead, grey/silver like the Mac mini. The displays will be made of the same material, but will either get, or not get, a built-in iSight as a BTO.
  • Reply 80 of 115
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Apple can offer the iMac in black, like you have it, and white,

The black version will have a slightly larger hard drive and cost $150 more than the white model.