G5 Rumors

Comments

• Reply 361 of 483
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Im not certain but speeds are 1.0, 1.2, and 1.4 GHz. The reason 1.6 GHz may be out of the question is apparently due to Apple's lack of trust that Motorola can provide sufficient quantities in time to ship the G5. Also, marketing may play a factor in what speeds they opt to intro at MWSF. Everything else seems to be pretty much in line, although no one really knows what's coming off the pipeline. Who knows.

I will try to get more info. I've e-mailed him now. I don't know when I'll get a response. I'm trying to get as much info as possible, and I'm not sure how much I can say.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hehe hehe
  • Reply 361 of 483
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>

1, 1.2, 1.4 are exactly the speeds I've been predicting. It would be smart of Apple to offer processors a bit slower than Moto can provide, and instead offer dual configuratoins.

MWSF is going to be sweet!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well I would put money on at least one dual, maybe a dual 1ghz in place of the 1.4ghz?
  • Reply 363 of 483
    Probably duals in the lower speeds, dual 1 GHz. Just my thought, not based on info though.
  • Reply 364 of 483
    A dual 1 GHz wouldn't make any sense if there were 1.2 and 1.4 powermacs. More likely that we see dual 1.2 powermacs.

I'd rather see a dual 1.4, but Apple has a history of making the duals the midrange...which is confusing, because then the question is, which is faster, the dual or the faster single?
  • Reply 365 of 483
    I don't think 1.4 would make it in Jan. Too big a jump. THat's why I said the dual 1.0ghz making the 1.2 top end. The 1.4 would prob wait till July.

(of course assuming we see the G5 at these speeds )
  • Reply 366 of 483
    Steve's nickname will be Johnny Blaze after MWSF 2002.
  • Reply 367 of 483
    [quote]I don't think 1.4 would make it in Jan. Too big a jump. THat's why I said the dual 1.0ghz making the 1.2 top end. The 1.4 would prob wait till July <hr></blockquote>

Oh. Well, 1.4 wouldn't be too big a jump if there were a wide range of speeds, like:

867-933

1.2 dual

I suppose it's possible that the low end Powermacs will be G4s, and the high end will be G5s. Then Apple could charge a premium for the G5s, and make a killing on the early adopters. Then later in the year, the entire Powermac line migrates to the G5. A businessman would cream his pants at the idea of selling G5s only at $2500+ prices.
  • Reply 368 of 483
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>

Oh. Well, 1.4 wouldn't be too big a jump if there were a wide range of speeds, like:

867-933

1.2 dual

I suppose it's possible that the low end Powermacs will be G4s, and the high end will be G5s. Then Apple could charge a premium for the G5s, and make a killing on the early adopters. Then later in the year, the entire Powermac line migrates to the G5. A businessman would cream his pants at the idea of selling G5s only at $2500+ prices.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The thing is, is that I don't see Apple going with more then 3 models.

So I think-

1ghz

dual 1ghz (or dual 933)

1.2ghz

or something like that. I just hope they are G5s!! Or at least G4's with new system bus and DDR.
  • Reply 368 of 483
    Are these machines about which we are talking running true G5 chips or are they running Apollo G4s which could be called the "G4e"? :confused:

The issue is getting confused: perhaps we should stick to Apollo and G5 to keep things straight...

Would someone please help clarify this?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 370 of 483
    [quote]Originally posted by Mandricard:

<strong>Are these machines about which we are talking running true G5 chips or are they running Apollo G4s which could be called the "G4e"? :confused:

The issue is getting confused: perhaps we should stick to Apollo and G5 to keep things straight...

Would someone please help clarify this?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider</strong><hr></blockquote>

It all depends on who you believe and what you read.

I believe the G5s will debut in Jan. I believe that the Apollos were meant for the iMac and tiBook. The Apollo will debut in Jan like maccentral, moto and a few sites say-but that doesn't mean in a tower.

So we say G5s but to be safe we also say 'or G4s".
  • Reply 371 of 483
    Agreed, except I think the Apollo is meant for the iMac and the Titanium. The iBook will probably use a G3 until it's next major revision.

Alternatively, the Titanium could use the Apollo at one speed, and the iBook at a lower speed. Then the individual Ti and iBook models are differentiated by HDs, GPU, etc. This is a good idea for Apple, I think, because if they use only a single CPU speed for each model, it lowers manufacturing costs.
  • Reply 372 of 483
    True G5.
  • Reply 373 of 483
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Tiger -

All I have to say is that you have been around here as long as a lot of us. I take your word for it but I do not think I need to remind you what happens to people here when they come here predicting this and that and it turns out they were yanking our chains...for your sake of course.

Jonathan -

I have a question. I have been curious - How does a rumor site fact check a rumor? What lends credibility to one source over another...unless of course that source has a history with correct predictions. What would an anonymous email to AI regarding fairly accurate sounding info be construed as a bad source?

the only reason I ask is in regards to your comment about the MOSR/Register mole. Now MOSR I take not even a grain of salt, but the Register has stated that this source has indeed been correct in the past. Just curious, if you can share insight that would be great.
  • Reply 374 of 483
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Bodhi,

Are you threatening tigerwoods99? What the hell is wrong with you? If Apple doesn't come out with a G5 at the Keynote, the world will not end, and you will wake up the next morning. Calm down.

After all these are message boards on a rumor site, for crying out loud, with people posting anonymously...I think abandoning credibility is necessary when you post at AI, or even read posts.

• Reply 375 of 483
    I'm not trying to to make predictions or anything, I'm just going off what I've been told. Nobody really knows exactly what Apple will release, not even Apple employees. They may have a fair idea, but things change up until the last minute. Just trying to provide some light on the situation.
  • Reply 376 of 483
    Wow, some people take this 'rumor/speculation' thing really serious
  • Reply 376 of 483
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Sorry, tigerwoods, it wasn't my intention to imply that you were fabricating information.

I choose not to assume anything, vis a vis truthfulness or credibility.

I'm just saying, that these message boards aren't exactly SEC filing statements or set in stone--it seems pointless to get all butthurt about MOSR or people's posts when they aren't fulfilled.

So..tell us more tigerwoods. Lets talk performance..I don't care at what speed the CPU clocks at...I want instant reponse in InDesign 2.0 and to never, ever see that spinning disc again.
  • Reply 378 of 483
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Wow, some people take this 'rumor/speculation' thing really serious </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that's why we're here
  • Reply 378 of 483
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>I'm not trying to to make predictions or anything, I'm just going off what I've been told. Nobody really knows exactly what Apple will release, not even Apple employees. They may have a fair idea, but things change up until the last minute. Just trying to provide some light on the situation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I'm pretty sure they know what will be released by now. they have to make the marketing materials, packaging, test production runs, etc.

people know, they just aren't saying
  • Reply 380 of 483
    "Apple employees" Applenut, is a very general term. Fact is, only a fraction of them probably know about the G5 and new iMac. I've interned out there and I know what its like. Employees work on their own individual team projects, and they only know what they need to know to complete that project. The Apple retail team, for example, knows nothing about the products being released at MWSF.

Now the marketing people obviously know, as do the engineers of course, and case designers, but employees in these departments have no urge to leak any info, because they truly honor their NDAs, and they take such pride in Steve taking everyone by surprise at Macworld. A lot of people here would be surprised how much Apple employees working on sensitive projects truly respect the NDAs.